"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:40 pm

I'd really rather not have previous movies reanimated.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is a great one to animate because it's not been done before, but the movies? Nah, let's avoid repeating that mistake again.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:34 pm

I would love to see the movies re-animated for television. I think it provides interesting new opportunities for creators to bring new dimension to a story and I'd be really interested in seeing that play out and be recontextualized outside of the mostly solo-context of their original film format.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:34 pm I would love to see the movies re-animated for television. I think it provides interesting new opportunities for creators to bring new dimension to a story and I'd be really interested in seeing that play out and be recontextualized outside of the mostly solo-context of their original film format.
There's still plenty of time for "Super Hero" to get retold; We're probably going to get a few episodes of filler right after the ToP, then a retelling of "Broly" then a few more episodes of filler, then they'll do the anime version of the "moro arc", then a few more filler episodes and only then the Granolah Saga.

I don't think they'll overdo the anime this time, the animators will only animate up to this point in the story and the anime will go for a second hiatus. All in all, it can be a 100+ episodes just doing the listed above.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:21 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:48 am
BagetaSama wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:14 pm Don't we only know that there's a web series in the works that is not Dragon Ball Super? I don't think we otherwise have any proof of anything else
We don't know either that it's not DB Super.
I was pretty sure the leaks that revealed the web series specifically said that it was not DB Super

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:28 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:20 pm
MuscleRobo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:17 pm Why are we so sure there was a project that fell through in 2019? Was there anything besides influencers going "Dude, trust me."
Two of those sources are historically correct (Ajay and Geekdom), so yeah, I'm pretty sure things did in fact just change.
The opposite is true. The most major "leak" by Ajay and Geekdom is the reason we are so skeptical of this one. They double and triple downed that it was coming back and it didn't happen. I'm more skeptical if they're saying it's true

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:46 am

BagetaSama wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:28 am
MuscleRobo wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:17 pm Why are we so sure there was a project that fell through in 2019? Was there anything besides influencers going "Dude, trust me."
Two of those sources are historically correct (Ajay and Geekdom), so yeah, I'm pretty sure things did in fact just change.
The opposite is true. The most major "leak" by Ajay and Geekdom is the reason we are so skeptical of this one. They double and triple downed that it was coming back and it didn't happen. I'm more skeptical if they're saying it's true
They're been historically correct about other pieces of information, hence why I'm willing to accept "something happened and things changed". There's no consistently pattern of lying or being wrong and at least one of them makes their living off of this business while the other is a deeply respected animation fandom community member who is clearly not some weirdo who goes around lying or causing trouble intentionally.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:44 pm

While I doubt it's true, it could be possible that they've been fed erroneous information that was intentionally misleading so as to not spoil anything real.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:35 am

Dragon Quest Dai remake ended today. I'm hoping some staff is now working on Dragon Ball.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:13 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:40 pm I'd really rather not have previous movies reanimated.

Jaco the Galactic Patrolman is a great one to animate because it's not been done before, but the movies? Nah, let's avoid repeating that mistake again.
It wasn't a mistake last time, the mistake was waiting so long to begin pre-production, so the animation was hideous. Otherwise it wasn't a mistake to reanimate, they needed to make changes that take into account the future of the series, and in this case they need to make adjustments for the respective continuities, and they can add extra information, like how we only got half of Toriyama's original DBS Broly storyboards. Half that script is gone.

StevenPiccolo

Post by StevenPiccolo » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:39 pm

I don't know about Super Hero, but I'd like to see Broly's script rewritten so that it weaves into the main story more. The themes of the story in regards to identity and Saiyan race could probably tie into the Granolah arc well, with how Goku sees himself. I don't know, I don't necessarily think it is wrong to do this, but the Broly movie wasn't written to be DBS 1.5 or anything like that, and just sort of a blip in the timeline that doesn't change much of the status quo. The events of the movie happened and then everything went back to normal, like Broly didn't exist at all. IF there was a DBS 2, it would be interesting to see if they sort of go the manga's route, where Broly is mentioned in a tiny part but they never call him up to help the cast, or if they really try to make him a bigger part of the story. I would not say no to him joining the main cast, in fact I would love it and I think there is some real money to be made here lol.
S.W.A.G. = Something We sAiyans Got

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:18 pm

Nothing would kill my enthusiasm for a return of the anime more than movie retellings again. The first time was a disaster for many reasons, but even if production wasn't an issue, I still would not have been interested. We already have the movie stories, and they're animated beautifully. A serialized retelling could never match that quality of animation, and the pacing would not benefit from additional bloat. If there is interesting content that got cut from either Broly or Super Hero for whatever reason (although, if it was cut, it probably wasn't especially important or engaging), I'd rather that they just implement those ideas in different ways for future arcs.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:38 am

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:46 am
BagetaSama wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:28 am

They're been historically correct about other pieces of information, hence why I'm willing to accept "something happened and things changed". There's no consistently pattern of lying or being wrong and at least one of them makes their living off of this business while the other is a deeply respected animation fandom community member who is clearly not some weirdo who goes around lying or causing trouble intentionally.
I'm actually not too sure where Geekdom stands on that original information as we don't talk much these days - I think he believes things changed? Personally, I don't. I think I was simply wrong and fell victim to a mixture of language barrier confusion and confirmation bias. SDBH episodes released on both dates I was told a sequel would be announced, so I think they simply misunderstood what was being asked. There's some evidence of "plans changed", but not enough that I give it much thought, honestly.

It's been many years since that incident, though. I'm much more careful with what I report now, and thankfully no longer need to rely on sources external to the Japanese studio. If I wasn't sure that this web series was coming, I wouldn't have said anything - I don't gain anything from making things up. This particular source confirmed that Super Hero would be CG long before it was announced, so I've no reason to doubt them.

That said, by all means continue to treat anything unofficial with skepticism - it's healthy and saves you heartache if something turns out to be incorrect.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:41 am

Ajay wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:38 amI'm actually not too sure where Geekdom stands on that original information as we don't talk much these days - I think he believes things changed? Personally, I don't.
I can't remember which of his videos it was, but I'm 100% sure Geekdom said he was told plans changed. More recently I've seen his followers on Twitter suggesting what he was told about new Dragon Ball being in the works in 2019 was actually Super Hero, although he maintains this was not the case. What was really going on is anyone's guess. I suppose its possible a continuation of Super was in the works, and that either got delayed indefinitely or cancelled. As I understand its not uncommon in the industry and things do change from time to time.

Either way thanks for your modesty Ajay, I know it's not been easy for you or Geekdom with being held accountable these last few years when any confusion that may have been caused was out of both of your control.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:28 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:41 am
Ajay wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:38 amI'm actually not too sure where Geekdom stands on that original information as we don't talk much these days - I think he believes things changed? Personally, I don't.
I can't remember which of his videos it was, but I'm 100% sure Geekdom said he was told plans changed. More recently I've seen his followers on Twitter suggesting what he was told about new Dragon Ball being in the works in 2019 was actually Super Hero, although he maintains this was not the case. What was really going on is anyone's guess. I suppose its possible a continuation of Super was in the works, and that either got delayed indefinitely or cancelled. As I understand its not uncommon in the industry and things do change from time to time.

Either way thanks for your modesty Ajay, I know it's not been easy for you or Geekdom with being held accountable these last few years when any confusion that may have been caused was out of both of your control.
I've personally heard conflicting info from Geekdom over the last several years regarding a continuation of the Super anime show. For years, he's been saying every so often that Toei's gonna bring it back, but then we get nothing. I don't know if he's ever really expanded on where he hears things, or anything, but it comes off like he says it in the hopes of it happening, then he can claim he was right, but I don't wanna be that cynical. If it is that he gets his info from other people, it seems like he hears it from people who only kinda know what's going on, or are just telling him it to get his hopes up.

Similarly, he talked about a new DBZ release way before the 30th anniversary Blu-Rays that had new transfers & that Toei would be involved with it, but we got that release & it was just FUNimation doing it again with the same techniques they did the season BRs. It was supposed to be very well remastered & looking better than ever, but we all know how that turned out. And his excuse was that he was misinformed. It's either he was misinformed on how it was being handled, which could be true depending on who exactly he talked to, he embellished on what he'd heard to get other peoples' hopes up, or he lied about what he'd "heard." On top of him spamming videos that I'm not interested in most of the time, I stopped watching his content regularly because of shit like that. I don't hate him, but he has too many instances of shit like that happening that I can't trust his word that easily when he makes promises that get disproven or broken on stuff he's not directly involved in.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

FatLee

Post by FatLee » Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:36 am

Scsigs wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:28 am I've personally heard conflicting info from Geekdom over the last several years regarding a continuation of the Super anime show. For years, he's been saying every so often that Toei's gonna bring it back, but then we get nothing. I don't know if he's ever really expanded on where he hears things, or anything, but it comes off like he says it in the hopes of it happening, then he can claim he was right, but I don't wanna be that cynical. If it is that he gets his info from other people, it seems like he hears it from people who only kinda know what's going on, or are just telling him it to get his hopes up.
YouTubers should not be taken as reliable sources for leaks. It's a rumour mill that people like Geekdom (as an ex-sub) love to get on for the views. Clickbait titles, fake news, with fake hype.

Take it alllll with a grain of salt.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:08 pm

FatLee wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:36 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:28 am I've personally heard conflicting info from Geekdom over the last several years regarding a continuation of the Super anime show. For years, he's been saying every so often that Toei's gonna bring it back, but then we get nothing. I don't know if he's ever really expanded on where he hears things, or anything, but it comes off like he says it in the hopes of it happening, then he can claim he was right, but I don't wanna be that cynical. If it is that he gets his info from other people, it seems like he hears it from people who only kinda know what's going on, or are just telling him it to get his hopes up.
YouTubers should not be taken as reliable sources for leaks. It's a rumour mill that people like Geekdom (as an ex-sub) love to get on for the views. Clickbait titles, fake news, with fake hype.

Take it alllll with a grain of salt.
I mean, whether or not it's all clickbait or fake news that we should take with grains of salt, if he didn't run with every single one he's heard as if it's true & actually waited for an official announcement, if he didn't do it nearly as much as he did, he wouldn't be seen as not trustworthy with that kind of news by people. If he just stuck to reviews, theory & discussion, & whatever videos on DB, & didn't try to artificially gain trust by trying to be "right" with this shit, or get people's hopes up, he'd be in a better place.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:31 pm

I'll be honest, the C-19 situation might have changed plans of 2uper, because too many sources were set on 2019 announcement and 2020 release until it just did not happen. One day we may learn the truth after someone from Toei speaks up about it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:03 pm

Xeogran wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:31 pm I'll be honest, the C-19 situation might have changed plans of 2uper, because too many sources were set on 2019 announcement and 2020 release until it just did not happen. One day we may learn the truth after someone from Toei speaks up about it.
I mean, that would assume that they were planning on bringing it back that fast if they were planning on bringing the show back at all. I personally wouldn't mind them doing so now that it's been almost 5 years since Super ended, but a year or 2 seems kinda quick. If Toei can actually give the animators enough time to properly do their jobs so the animation doesn't look awful in spots & the writing significantly improved, I'd be all for it as well. They'd probably also give the show a subtitle to distinguish it from the first Super show & the last 2 movies, also similar to Kai: TFC. But, who knows if it would given how badly the production of Super was in places. Maybe they'd also adapt the Super manga instead of just writing everything wholesale from Toriyama's plot outlines. I'd also like to see them do an arc adapting the Broly movie into its original 3-hour plot & story rather than only what we got in the movie. I hope that we get anime adaptations of the arcs in the manga eventually.
But, yeah, I'm not against the show returning, I just don't think it was returning when Geekdom kept saying it was going to.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:00 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:40 pm I'd really rather not have previous movies reanimated.

I personally do. I hate that there's not a single medium of Super that has the complete story. The anime has the chance to change this when it returns if they animate the 2 new movies and the manga exclusive arcs.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:49 am

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:00 pm I personally do. I hate that there's not a single medium of Super that has the complete story.
Xenoverse 2 goes from BoG all the way to Super Hero :lol:
Who'd have thought an old game would be the only medium with the entire thing.