"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Nejishiki » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:51 am

DragonHermit wrote:Poor Nozawa. She's almost 80, and voicing Goku, Gohan, Goten, and now Black. TOEI WTH ARE YOU DOING!
Why keeping her well off, of course. :thumbup:

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:52 am

Araki wrote:
JoeCapricorn wrote:Called it... sorta. I had said many pages back that perhaps no episode previews were being released to avoid any kind of spoilers. If they wanted to keep this arc truly mysterious, we're not going to know what episodes occur ahead of time. We'll find out, sure, with the NEP, but that's about it! And I think that is how it will be for most of the arc, something to keep us fans on our toes.
Now that i think about it, maybe they're trying to replicate the effect the manga had while it was being released?
The manga was weekly though, and was way ahead of the anime. Right now the manga we have is behind and monthly. We have nothing to know what will happen next in the anime at all.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:03 am

Sodhi wrote:The manga was weekly though, and was way ahead of the anime. Right now the manga we have is behind and monthly. We have nothing to know what will happen next in the anime at all.
I was talking back in the day, when Toriyama's manga was being published, and people had no way of knowing of what was coming next in the manga itself - kind of like where we are right now, except for the previews.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:09 am

Nozawa finally confirmed YESSSS! :mrgreen: I can take this villain seriously now.(hate to use this word but i am HYPED about this)

The interactions between Gokuu and Black Gokuu if done well will be the highlight of the arc for me.

- Travis

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:16 am

Sodhi wrote:
Araki wrote:
JoeCapricorn wrote:Called it... sorta. I had said many pages back that perhaps no episode previews were being released to avoid any kind of spoilers. If they wanted to keep this arc truly mysterious, we're not going to know what episodes occur ahead of time. We'll find out, sure, with the NEP, but that's about it! And I think that is how it will be for most of the arc, something to keep us fans on our toes.
Now that i think about it, maybe they're trying to replicate the effect the manga had while it was being released?
The manga was weekly though, and was way ahead of the anime. Right now the manga we have is behind and monthly. We have nothing to know what will happen next in the anime at all.
Actually, the Dragon Ball manga wasn't that far ahead of the anime. I remember on the podcast here they said that during the Frieza Saga the anime was only a month behind the manga. So when Goku went Super Saiyan in the manga, anime fans saw the transformation only a few weeks later.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

mawilex
Beyond Newbie

Post by mawilex » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:41 am

DragonHermit wrote:Poor Nozawa. She's almost 80, and voicing Goku, Gohan, Goten, and now Black. TOEI WTH ARE YOU DOING!
Yeah, maybe that's a little too much for her at her age, but I'm not worried about her, I'm pretty sure she can pull it off. She always seem to be very energetic and healthy, and passionate about her job too. She's a strong woman!

Nozawa-san, gambatte!

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:44 am

The way voice acting works, it should not matter how many characters she is acting, because they are not going to all speak at the same time. The only thing she would have to do is act for a new character, in this case goku black.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:27 am

HeroR wrote: Actually, the Dragon Ball manga wasn't that far ahead of the anime. I remember on the podcast here they said that during the Frieza Saga the anime was only a month behind the manga. So when Goku went Super Saiyan in the manga, anime fans saw the transformation only a few weeks later.
It got close in Freeza arc, but then Toei made 10 episode Garlic jr arc and the distance was back at normal 19-20 chapters.
fadeddreams5 wrote:So how does Trunks know Goku is alive in the past and Vegeta isn't still a total dick?

Shouldn't he be going back to get Gohan's help?
Well, Vegeta changed at the end of Cell arc, remember? And that peace sign when he left...

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:47 am

What is this? Magazines not revealing/spoiling future episode tittles? For a Toei production?

You have to realize this is beyond unprecedented. I've only seen it happen like once before and it was for like I think a major reveal for a new Pretty Cure. Japan never cares about spoilers for their kids programming. I'm honestly starting to feel a bit of hype

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:53 am

Maybe it wasn't intentional. Maybe the DB people missed the deadline for submitting the titles to the magazines because they were so busy running around like a chicken with its head cut off while trying to pull the production schedule out of the toilet and get on Toriyama's good side that they just forgot to write them up. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:08 am

Herms wrote:In better news, we've got the new Kusao interview fully translated.
''I’ll only say one thing about the end of the new chapter’s first episode, but this should say it all: it’s enough to make you go “there’s no way they can win…” "
Hm, what would make us think that? Maybe Beerus comes to earth in this timeline after feeling Black's power and black takes him down? Maybe Black blows up future Trunk's earth... So many questions.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:26 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Maybe it wasn't intentional. Maybe the DB people missed the deadline for submitting the titles to the magazines because they were so busy running around like a chicken with its head cut off while trying to pull the production schedule out of the toilet and get on Toriyama's good side that they just forgot to write them up. =P
Wouldn't even be surprised

KaiserAcedia

Post by KaiserAcedia » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:27 am

Kanassa wrote:''I’ll only say one thing about the end of the new chapter’s first episode, but this should say it all: it’s enough to make you go “there’s no way they can win…” "
Hm, what would make us think that? Maybe Beerus comes to earth in this timeline after feeling Black's power and black takes him down? Maybe Black blows up future Trunk's earth... So many questions.
I actually think Beerus and Whis are absent, maybe at Zuno place or there is a meet up for the multiversal tournament. Most excited about to see Trunks (and Goten, Pan, Marron) growing. And I wouldn't mind another SSG ritual performed for Gohan. :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:30 am

So they finally want to stop spoiling things. Hip hip hooray!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:07 am

I believe when I see it this arc has a lot of potential to be the franchise or at least super best arc hope they don't drop the ball on this.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:11 am

They obviously do no want to spoil it as they probably think the story is good.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:15 am

Thank God they're not giving anything in the slightest. It's good to know that Toei realise that some details about the plot are better left under wraps to entice more viewers. Let's hope the episode titles also remain vague and not so descriptive.

I'm also happy and quite sad that Nozawa is voicing Goku Black, because while she is the greatest Obaa-chan ever, is also pretty much confirms that the main villain is indeed just "Evil Goku".

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Nozawa finally confirmed YESSSS! :mrgreen: I can take this villain seriously now.(hate to use this word but i am HYPED about this)

The interactions between Gokuu and Black Gokuu if done well will be the highlight of the arc for me.

- Travis
I'm kinda surprised so many here like the idea of having Nazawa as Black Goku.

Personally I think she's great, but her voice really didn't suit Turles (or Bardock for that matter). I feel it has the same, "your mom trying to do a bad guy voice" effect that people criticize Linda Young's Frieza for.

Maybe because Black Goku actually IS Goku it might fit more, but I dunno. I just really don't buy Nozawa's sinister voice.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:36 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:
dblack wrote:
LightBing wrote:Thank you for the translation Herms!

Two sentences stand out to me:
- "Also, since kid Trunks is still just a boy, I thought it’d be good to also portray him as growing up bit by bit. Well, I guess I’ve given the game away (laughs)."
-"I’ll only say one thing about the end of the new chapter’s first episode, but this should say it all: it’s enough to make you go “there’s no way they can win…” (laughs)."
This makes me hope we see future-Beerus teleport in and get torn in two or something crazy. No matter how bad he whoops future trunks I don't think it would seem hopeless.
I'd honestly prefer if they toned down Beerus's involvement in this arc. I know Toriyama's comments mentioned him, but I feel like we've had a bit too much of his character since Super started. Even in RF, him and Whis practically hijacked the entire story. I'd rather that wasn't the case AGAIN.
Oh, man. I REALLY hope (Present) Kid Trunks AND hopefully, by extension, Goten, get some REAL character development this story arc. Seriously, I don't even think I can begin to describe how much a wasted opportunity it would be to not have them develop mentally AND physically this time around.

BTW, I also seriously hope (though I doubt it :problem: ) that Beerus AND Whis don't have too much screentime this story arc. I also feel like the moment they show up it's going to be for freakin' food..... again. :lolno: Not to mention, everything's going to feel REALLY safe once those two show up. As I said in my last post, I want something as dark and intuitive as the Andriod/Cell sagas

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:45 am

Thirding keeping Beerus and Whis offstage for this arc or most of it. Tension goes right out the window otherwise and I hope they realize it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!