"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 pm

From what Herms have translated, the interview is very interesting and give a lot a of insight about Toriyama's relationship to the anime. Here are the highlights for me:

"Why does Future Trunks have blue hair?"
"Trunks isn't a Super Saiyan Blue."
...After much confusion...
"Oh, Toriyama's drew him like that"

"Will Goten/kid Trunks be more important?"
Draft
"Why's Yamcha so comical now?"
Draft
"Any more tail-based transformations?"
Draft

"Does Toei have power to change Toriyama's draft?"
Both laugh
"Basically not" They might make requests, but "you can't tell God to change"

"Why was Super aimed more at kids at first, and more at adults now?"
"It's not aimed at adults. We're trying to make it like Dragon Ball." ("Dragon Ball" in this case meaning the franchise as a whole, not simply pre-Z)

"How long does it take to make an episode of Super?"
"About six months to write the script and four months for the animation."

"Is Toyotaro like Toriyama's assistant?"
"He does the V-Jump manga. Toriyama designs main characters, Toyotaro handles some sub-characters."
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Gohan and Piccolo as Main character could work, if they give Piccolo some credibility again, and Gohan becomes at least like his DBM counterpart.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 pm

It takes 6 months to write an episode and 4 months to do animation, yeah I don't believe that at all.

Also wasn't there an interview where Toriyama said he gave them freedom to change the draft if they wanted too?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Totamo wrote:It takes 6 months to write an episode and 4 months to do animation, yeah I don't believe that at all.

Also wasn't there an interview where Toriyama said he gave them freedom to change the draft if they wanted too?
I don't see a reason for them to lie and it would take months to write a script. There is also more to animation then just drawing. You have pre-scripting an episode, storyboarding an episode, and pre-production, all happens before anything is drawn. From there you have corrections.

What they're saying is that can give suggestions or make requests, but the final say is Toriyama.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Totamo wrote:It takes 6 months to write an episode and 4 months to do animation, yeah I don't believe that at all.
They refer to this:

Write and animate an episode: 6 months.
Only animate an episode: 4 months.

So 2 months for write an episode and 4 months for animate an episode.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:56 pm

HeroR wrote:

I don't see a reason for them to lie and it would take months to write a script. There is also more to animation then just drawing. You have pre-scripting an episode, storyboarding an episode, and pre-production, all happens before anything is drawn. From there you have corrections.

What they're saying is that can give suggestions or make requests, but the final say is Toriyama.
My friend.....MY FRIEND. Have you seen Super? The product would not look like it took months to produce. The script does not look like it was in 6 months in production If you believe this than that means most fans were right, and its not time that super is like this, its simply talent.

Also we have a manga, where everything they said was draft, isn''t even in there. This would mean that toriyama either more lenient on toyo or he is just more involved with the anime than the manga. Which is bullshit, because Toriyama is a lazy man , do you really think he would check everything a weekly series did.

Watch in a couple of months, Toriyama will get an interview contradicting this one.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:57 pm

HECTOR4 wrote:
They refer to this:

Write and animate an episode: 6 months.
Only animate an episode: 4 months.

So 2 months for write an episode and 4 months for animate an episode.
Ok, that makes a lot more sense because they can't honestly script more than animate.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Totamo wrote: My friend.....MY FRIEND. Have you seen Super? The product would not look like it took months to produce. The script does not look like it was in 6 months in production If you believe this than that means most fans were right, and its not time that super is like this, its simply talent.

Also we have a manga, where everything they said was draft, isn''t even in there. This would mean that toriyama either more lenient on toyo or he is just more involved with the anime than the manga. Which is bullshit, because Toriyama is a lazy man , do you really think he would check everything a weekly series did.

Watch in a couple of months, Toriyama will get an interview contradicting this one.
Even a poor production takes time to do and not something you can just make within weeks or even a month. Also, a lot of what your wrote is just you making assumptions and pasting it as fact.
Kanassa wrote:

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:18 pm

HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote: My friend.....MY FRIEND. Have you seen Super? The product would not look like it took months to produce. The script does not look like it was in 6 months in production If you believe this than that means most fans were right, and its not time that super is like this, its simply talent.

Even a poor production takes time to do and not something you can just make within weeks or even a month. Also, a lot of what your wrote is just you making assumptions and pasting it as fact.
the first batch of super episodes were made 4 weeks within each other, there are several episodes that were made in awful tinme

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Bullza wrote:They better not end it. If they do I'll punch a child in the throat.
Mind if I join

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Totamo wrote: the first batch of super episodes were made 4 weeks within each other, there are several episodes that were made in awful tinme
Where is your source for the 4 weeks for the first Super's episode?
Kanassa wrote:

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote: the first batch of super episodes were made 4 weeks within each other, there are several episodes that were made in awful tinme
Not the first episode, but the second I believe was supervised by tate but so was episode 5, super wasn't in a long production stage before it aired.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:05 am

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Not the first episode, but the second I believe was supervised by tate but so was episode 5, super wasn't in a long production stage before it aired.
Again, where is the source that "first batch of Super episodes were made 4 weeks".
Kanassa wrote:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:07 am

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
For episode five, four weeks was an estimate based on the staff rotations.

Also, I do believe for episdoe 23 that one of the support studios on the epiosde had two weeks to produce key animation. I think Ajay has the source for this.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:07 am

So nothing about super ending in March :think:

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:17 am

Did the interview have anything on Ikari? I want to know what Ikari is, why Ikari is, how Ikari is, the study of Ikari, the history of Ikari

inb4 DRAFT

Blank

Post by Blank » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:29 am

MaskedRider wrote:Did the interview have anything on Ikari? I want to know what Ikari is, why Ikari is, how Ikari is, the study of Ikari, the history of Ikari

inb4 DRAFT
Ikari wasn't mentioned anywhere in the interview.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:35 am

What a lame interview. Almost embarrasing, in fact. Terrible questions they know they won't get answers for.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:38 am

I speak fluent Spanish. In the interview, there was nothing about Super ending.

He said they can't confirm a new movie and that we have to wait until things are announced officially.

He was asked how many episodes he thinks Super will go. He says NOTHING is set in stone.

If Toriyama chooses not to continue with Super, Chioka says he's not sure. Toei intends to continue but also Toriyama's world isn't over.
Last edited by Geekdom101 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:39 am

Geekdom101 wrote:I speak fluent Spanish. In the interview, there was nothing about Super ending.

He said they can't confirm a new movie and that we have to wait until things are announced officially.

He was asked how many episodes he thinks Super will go. He says NOTHING is set in stone.

If Toriyama chooses not to continue with Super, Chioka says he's not sure. Toei intends to continue but also Toriyama's world isn't over.

"It takes 6 months to write an episode and 4 months to do animation" is complete BS.
Why is it BS? I'm sure he knows what he's talking about.
Feels over Reals.