"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:59 am

Hmmm...hmmm...so it seems Gokuu Black really was the most obvious interpretation of being an evil version of Gokuu. Slightly disappointing, but the fact that he's wearing a Potara does spark a bit more interest. Who did he fuse with? And how is he alive in Trunks' timeline? Or did he come from a separate timeline? The more I think about it, the more questions I have, so I guess I'm not that disappointed after all.

And Mai, lol what. Now the comment about her actress being heavily involved in the next arc makes more sense. So I guess she'll travel back in time with Trunks? I assume they're going with the whole romance angle that was started in Battle of Gods, in which case there could be awkward comedy when Trunks meets up with everyone and introduces her as his girlfriend/wife/whatever...just imagine young Trunks' reaction! I imagine she must have somehow been transformed into a child in that timeline too, since she'd look way older if she aged normally.

Oh, shit, I'm on the hype train, aren't I? Whoo whoo!!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:01 am

They all look young in Super, that's that new art style.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:04 am

I was hoping he'd be someone new just using Goku's name but I have to admit, this looks really interesting.

I like how everything's destroyed in the background and the serious vibe the picture is giving so it looks like we're getting a more serious arc than the 3 before it.

In terms of the Potara he's wearing, could he already be fused with someone ? like maybe an evil soul which would explain why his appearance is the same.

Or could he be a Kai from where ever he came from ? or is there a Vegeta black or someone really strong he's trying to fuse with ? maybe he forces our Goku to fuse with him.

If there's an alternate Goku than maybe there's an alternate Vegeta ? maybe Vegeta is the Goku of where ever he came from and is trying to stop him and he'll work with our Vegeta and everyone else to stop him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:04 am

This looks really interesting!

• So that's "Goku Black". I can't wait to get a better look at that outfit! And what's the deal with that green Potara?! I wonder if that will have anything to do with the greenish sky in the background...?

• Trunks' hair is still curiously blue, but this is clearly the anime model, not Toriyama's own illustration. I wonder if this means they're keeping his hair color blue in the anime? As weird as that would be, I have to admit that it's grown on me pretty quickly these past several weeks.

• I didn't expect Mai to partner up with Trunks. She seems strangely young; perhaps the Pilaf gang somehow found a way to wish themselves in Trunks' timeline, too? Or maybe they're just ignoring her age like they've been doing with Bulma.

The text is unfortunately cut off, but I don't see anything *too* important here. Color me excited! Hopefully this marks the beginning of a tone change.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:07 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:They all look young in Super, that's that new art style.
I don't think that's the case. If Trunks is 32-ish, she would be what, in her 60s? That's too much..

Hell, this Mai could be U6's Mai for all we know.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:08 am

But the Mai in the image is far too young-looking to be in her late 50's. Even current Bulma doesn't looks as young as that. If Mai was actually turned into a kid like in the present timeline. Then it makes sense why she looks like in her late 20's. Trunks's timeline is 17 years from the future. If we say Mai was around 10 during the BoG happenings, then she'd be around 28 in Age 797. While Future Trunks is 33.
Last edited by Khin on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:11 am

Araki wrote:
I don't think that's the case. If Trunks is 32-ish, she would be what, in her 60s? That's too much..

Hell, this Mai could be U6's Mai for all we know.
How old is Tights? Or Bulma's mother?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:11 am

I doubt this is true, but that dark grey turtleneck with the long sleeves makes me think so much of Vegeta's armor from the F and Champa arcs.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

worrior_v1
Not-So-Newbie

Post by worrior_v1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:12 am

Personally, I believe this arc will truly be the defining arc of Super.

Much like the Cell arc or Freeza arc of DBZ, this Black Goku arc will potentially span on for multiple episodes. FINALLY!!

If we can maintain the same level of drawing like we did in the end of the Universal Tournament, then I'll be truly satisfied with this series thus far.

My theory is that Black Goku is the Goku from the timeline where he didn't bump his head- he grew immensely powerful, defeated freeza, cell, buu & the God of Destruction of his timeline perhaps helped him grow in strength and probably even fused with him! Maybe his timeline is so far into the future that hes destroyed multiple universes of multiple timelines and he finally arrived in Trunk's timeline and had now almost destroyed it and Trunks barely escaped, seeking help from the main timeline?

Seems plausible, and would likely be a terrifying enemy- an evil Goku with the same fighting spirit!?? Talk about a challenge!

Now from what I had extrapolated, it seems clear that Zenos, other gods of destruction and Whis's race could be involved!

WE FINALLY GOT A SERIOUS ARC WOOO HOO!

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:13 am

That's very nice looking artwork. I had a feeling that "Goku Black" was going to look exactly like the regular Goku, but the potara(?) earrings he has on might lead to something interesting.

What if Trunks fixed his Earth and revived everyone with the Namekian dragon balls, and then they lived peacefully for a long time. And then a rougue Makaioshin somehow managed to conflict Goku with evil, and this new "Black Goku" is like his apprentice, wearing the earrings and such. This evil Goku then managed to kill everyone again except for Trunks. That's the best I can come up with.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:How old is Tights? Or Bulma's mother?
They look younger than they should, true, but still seem older than this Mai, lol.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:14 am

sailorspazz wrote:The more I think about it, the more questions I have.
In Toriyama's last interview he said something about it being a bit complicated so I'm sure we'll have more questions after each episode.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:15 am

I wonder if Trunks found his way to Namek in order to bring everybody back, prior to this "Black Goku" stuff.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:16 am

MajinMan wrote:That's very nice looking artwork. I had a feeling that "Goku Black" was going to look exactly like the regular Goku, but the potara(?) earrings he has on might lead to something interesting.

What if Trunks fixed his Earth and revived everyone with the Namekian dragon balls, and then they lived peacefully for a long time. And then a rougue Makaioshin somehow managed to conflict Goku with evil, and this new "Black Goku" is like his apprentice, wearing the earrings and such. This evil Goku then managed to kill everyone again except for Trunks. That's the best I can come up with.
That's cool, but i don't think even the Namekian DBs can revive people who died by natural causes.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:21 am

Zephyr wrote:I wonder if Trunks found his way to Namek in order to bring everybody back, prior to this "Black Goku" stuff.
My headcanon up to this point has always been that they moved on and didn't bother. I won't mind at all if this turns out not to be the case though.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:22 am

I'm kind of laughing at myself now...literally 12 hours ago, I posted saying that this revelation probably wouldn't be anything that big, and we seriously shouldn't get our hopes up. Now, I'm sitting at the computer giggling, giddy at the possibilities of what's to come in this arc. Granted, we actually don't have much information, just a picture, and all the visible text doesn't say anything beyond the fact that you should definitely watch it, the details of when/where to watch it, and the end part of a tagline in the upper right corner (which probably has additional unseen words) about how peace had been achieved...or so they thought (read the last part in movie trailer voice, naturally).

The blue-haired Trunks does intrigue me, as well. I guess we'll find out in a few days after the preview airs if they actually keep it in the anime. Maybe he started going gray and he dyed it :lol:

And Gokuu Black is wearing black clothes...they literally just gave him a name based on his outfit. That, or he fused with Black from the Red Ribbon Army. Or, I guess, he's just evil Gokuu...as I said, still seems like a boring idea, but the promo art has me hyped, so hoping it'll turn out more interesting than the premise seems!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:26 am

sailorspazz wrote:And Gokuu Black is wearing black clothes...they literally just gave him a name based on his outfit. That, or he fused with Black from the Red Ribbon Army.
I'm sticking with my theory that "Goku Black" is the name Trunks comes up to distinguish him, instead of Black actually calling himself this way. That would explain it.
And that we won't learn more about his identity and backgrounds until a bit later.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:28 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:
MajinMan wrote:That's very nice looking artwork. I had a feeling that "Goku Black" was going to look exactly like the regular Goku, but the potara(?) earrings he has on might lead to something interesting.

That's cool, but i don't think even the Namekian DBs can revive people who died by natural causes.
Maybe the Namekians upgraded it just for Trunks because they felt like they had to at least revive Goku, the guy who took down Freeza? Or maybe they got Dende to come to Earth in his timeline and create dragon balls that don't have that limitation. I'm just reaching here.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:30 am

Araki wrote:
sailorspazz wrote:And Gokuu Black is wearing black clothes...they literally just gave him a name based on his outfit. That, or he fused with Black from the Red Ribbon Army.
I'm sticking with my theory that "Goku Black" is the name Trunks comes up to distinguish him, instead of Black actually calling himself this way. That would explain it.
And that we won't learn more about his identity and backgrounds until a bit later.
Seconding this. My own theory is near-identical to it (only I pictured it as Gokû Black wearing the F and Champa arc dougi while Future Trunks catches sight of the strange black mark on his dougi that he's never seen before - Whis' drawing/symbol).

Future Trunks nicknaming this Gokû after the outfit he's got on is very possible imo.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:30 am

Alright, I'm fucking hyped. This little Copy-Vegeta arc needs to end ASAP.

Trunks and Mai being together in the future is really sweet. I really like that idea.