"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 am

perucho1990 wrote:Assuming the ToP lasts until early 2018, then Vegeta might be fighting Jiren early 2018 :think:
No, ToP should really end this year and then we begin the year a couple of SoL episodes, then the next arc :)
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 am

perucho1990 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: That could easily be the Toppo episode.
Scripts are written in advance(3-6months), Toshio mentioned he wrote the Caulifla/Kale episode(episode 115) back in late July, and their episode will air in November 11.
We don't know when Toppo vs Vegeta will get a focused episode.
Kinokima wrote:

That being said unless the episode is titles Toppo vs Vegeta or something to a similar affect I am not really worried about either character. It will be a fight that will get interrupted for sure.
Why will it get interrupted? There really isn't many lower tier fighters left to fight and this seems like it will be Vegeta's big fight.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote: Why will it get interrupted? There really isn't many lower tier fighters left to fight and this seems like it will be Vegeta's big fight.
Well if it is Vegeta's big fight it's not going to happen off screen or as a B-plot. So unless it is a focus of an upcoming episode I don't see it actually happening. But I guess we will see.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Kinokima wrote: Vegeta is my favorite character but do I need to tell you difference between who Vegeta was in the Freeza arc and who Cauli is?
For what? I'm talking about the need for character development, Cauli needs developing as much as any other character does unless you think this gig of hers now is all fine and dandy which is obviously not for a majority of people.
And no I don't enjoy seeing characters tortured and humiliated not even an evil Vegeta. But from a story perspective I understand why Vegeta was tortured and humiliated. Enjoying something and thinking it leads to a well written development are two very different things. I don't take pleasure from suffering even fictional characters.
Well talking her out of it isnt doing the job, this is DB, characters in here develop best when they're getting their asses whooped and coming into a realization that they're not the best, its a shonen show, humiliation and torture comes hand in hand to make the little kids feel like "DONT GIVE UP DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS AHEAD"
HeroR wrote: Vegeta got humiliated because he was a terrible character who existed to keep the plot going past it's natural conclusion. Cali is just a cocky punk who had far more redeemable qualities than Vegeta until the Buu Saga.
Then more so that Cauli needs it as well since she's just a terrible character as well, its not like you dont realize that theres a lot of fans not just in this forum that is not fond of her and wants her out right? her gig isnt doing it for her, they need to spice it up.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Kinokima wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Why will it get interrupted? There really isn't many lower tier fighters left to fight and this seems like it will be Vegeta's big fight.
Well if it is Vegeta's big fight it's not going to happen off screen or as a B-plot. So unless it is a focus of an upcoming episode I don't see it actually happening. But I guess we will see.
We will get 20 second scenes before it becomes the focus. Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina seems like it will go that way as well.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Guys, you what would be very unexpected?

IF after Kaelifla defuses and Freeza shows up to eliminate them, either Caulifla or Kale decide to get killed by Freeza on purpose in order to eliminate him from the ToP :think:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:13 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Kinokima wrote: Vegeta is my favorite character but do I need to tell you difference between who Vegeta was in the Freeza arc and who Cauli is?
For what? I'm talking about the need for character development, Cauli needs developing as much as any other character does unless you think this gig of hers now is all fine and dandy which is obviously not for a majority of people.
Again Vegeta and Cauli are not the same. Then again I see a lot of people saying Cell Saga Vegeta and Vegeta in this arc are the same. Arrogance may be a character flaw but it is not the absolute worst thing either that a character always needs to be brought down a peg for it.

Vegeta's problem in the cell arc wasn't just that he was prideful it's that he let his pride be more important than anything else.

Well talking her out of it isnt doing the job, this is DB, characters in here develop best when they're getting their asses whooped and coming into a realization that they're not the best, its a shonen show, humiliation and torture comes hand in hand to make the little kids feel like "DONT GIVE UP DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS AHEAD"
I am sure she will eventually lose but why does she need to be humiliated and tortured. I don't get you.
HeroR wrote: Then more so that Cauli needs it as well since she's just a terrible character as well, its not like you dont realize that theres a lot of fans not just in this forum that is not fond of her and wants her out right? her gig isnt doing it for her, they need to spice it up.

No one is a horrible character. Every character has their fans and detractors. I don't mind Cauli one way or the other. I find the extreme hatred of her by some fans disconcerting though.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 pm

SansrivaaL wrote: Then more so that Cauli needs it as well since she's just a terrible character as well, its not like you dont realize that theres a lot of fans not just in this forum that is not fond of her and wants her out right? her gig isnt doing it for her, they need to spice it up.
Cali is an unoffensive character, while Vegeta was just terrible since his entire purpose was padding the plot for the Cell and Buu Saga. That is different than 'I personally hate this character'. Vegeta was bad because he was a plot device created to keep the story going where it could have naturally ended like Semi-Perfect Cell being defeated, Gohan killing Super Perfect Cell without a disabled arm, and the entire Majin Buu Saga.

And her gig is not 'doing it for her' to a certain group of people like you who are very vocal. Since she has a fanbases that likes her, a fairly large one too given her sells, then she must be doing something right, otherwise she would be GT Pan.
Last edited by HeroR on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:16 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Stop trying to speak for the majority. I don't know exactly what you yourself expect a torture session to do for Caulifla's character, but I've seen other people who have this idea that it will make her know her place, be more humble, be less cocky. That's not going to happen. Her attitude isn't based on a perception that she's #1; she already knows that she's not that.
Then more so that Cauli needs it as well since she's just a terrible character as well, its not like you dont realize that theres a lot of fans not just in this forum that is not fond of her and wants her out right? her gig isnt doing it for her, they need to spice it up.
It's like you don't realize people ranting on forums and Youtube aren't necessarily representative of the whole fandom.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:23 pm

I think "drop the show" is thrown around a little too often, but if the direction DBS is headed in is to ignore Goten and Trunks on a perpetual basis, I'm not sure what reason I personally would have to keep up with it.

And you know, that's okay. I'm sure everyone reaches a point where they reassess their connection to Dragon Ball.

I don't wanna be salty every day. I'm becoming salty every day.

Awareness is half the battle.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:23 pm

Simere wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Stop trying to speak for the majority. I don't know exactly what you yourself expect a torture session to do for Caulifla's character, but I've seen other people who have this idea that it will make her know her place, be more humble, be less cocky. That's not going to happen. Her attitude isn't based on a perception that she's #1; she already knows that she's not that.
It's like you don't realize people ranting on forums and Youtube aren't necessarily representative of the whole fandom.
This is the problem I have with people who vocally disliked Cali, they seem to think the majority also hate her since a lot of people complain about her. You know another character who has a very vocal group that hates them, think they're wanked to death, overexposed, and is the 'worst character in Dragon Ball'.

Broly.

How much do Broly sells? So how big is this group that hates him compared to those who loves him?
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I think "drop the show" is thrown around a little too often, but if the direction DBS is headed in is to ignore Goten and Trunks on a perpetual basis, I'm not sure what reason I personally would have to keep up with it.

And you know, that's okay. I'm sure everyone reaches a point where they reassess their connection to Dragon Ball.

I mean you seem to be aware. At this point it's time to forget it, because these kids server no purpose and honestly won't anymore. Sorry man. I enjoyed them too, but gotta know when to cut your losses.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:I think "drop the show" is thrown around a little too often, but if the direction DBS is headed in is to ignore Goten and Trunks on a perpetual basis, I'm not sure what reason I personally would have to keep up with it.

I mean you seem to be aware. At this point it's time to forget it, because these kids server no purpose and honestly won't anymore. Sorry man. I enjoyed them too, but gotta know when to cut your losses.

They are the sons of Goku and Vegeta just because they aren't in this arc doesn't mean they will never be in the story again.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Anyway, talking about Cali as a character is off-topic and this would be the second forum this discussion has takes over.

Although for the record, this is the most negative forum I have seen for Kale and Cali. Most places I go to calls Cali boring, maybe a Mary Sue, and leaves it at that. I don't know what it is about her that turns this site into mountains of salt that they want to seek Freeza on her to 'teach her a lesson'.
Kinokima wrote:
They are the sons of Goku and Vegeta just because they aren't in this arc doesn't mean they will never be in the story again.
Raditz was the older brother of Goku.....do I need to complete this sentence? If Toriyama doesn't want to used them, they're not going to be used. It's really as simple as that. Being related to the main characters doesn't matter. Being one of Toriyama's favorites also doesn't matter, asked Tien.
Last edited by HeroR on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 pm

HeroR wrote:
Simere wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote: For what? I'm talking about the need for character development, Cauli needs developing as much as any other character does unless you think this gig of hers now is all fine and dandy which is obviously not for a majority of people.
This is the problem I have with people who vocally disliked Cali, they seem to think the majority also hate her since a lot of people complain about her. You know another character who has a very vocal group that hates them, think they're wanked to death, overexposed, and is the 'worst character in Dragon Ball'.

Broly.

How much do Broly sells? So how big is this group that hates him compared to those who loves him?
Everyone who does not buy anything related to Broly.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:30 pm

HeroR wrote:
Simere wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote: For what? I'm talking about the need for character development, Cauli needs developing as much as any other character does unless you think this gig of hers now is all fine and dandy which is obviously not for a majority of people.

Broly.

Both Kale and Caulifla have been getting an increasing amount of merchandise, so the marketing is probably working. It's hard to tell how popular a certain character is because even Dabura is getting love.
Feels over Reals.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote:

That's what I keep telling myself, but I'm not sure where to find the optimism anymore when we're past 100 episodes with no meaningful contribution.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:32 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Everyone who does not buy anything related to Broly.
Which is what, 1% of the entire fandom?
RedHeat wrote:
Both Kale and Caulifla have been getting an increasing amount of merchandise, so the marketing is probably working. It's hard to tell how popular a certain character is because even Dabura is getting love.
It took up to DLC 5 for Dabura to finally get into Xenoverse 2 despite being Mira's big brother. Heck, it took years for him to finally be brought into Heroes despite Mira and Towa being their since day 1. This should tells us how popular Dabura is.

It isn't all marketing either since Jiren isn't a big seller despite them pushing him too.
Last edited by HeroR on Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:33 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote: I mean you seem to be aware. At this point it's time to forget it, because these kids server no purpose and honestly won't anymore. Sorry man. I enjoyed them too, but gotta know when to cut your losses.

That's what I keep telling myself, but I'm not sure where to find the optimism anymore when we're past 100 episodes with no meaningful contribution.
I was pushing towards this: meaningful involvement. I never said they'd never be involved again. I just don't think they'll have a purposeful involvement in a main story anymore.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Simere wrote:Stop trying to speak for the majority. I don't know exactly what you yourself expect a torture session to do for Caulifla's character, but I've seen other people who have this idea that it will make her know her place, be more humble, be less cocky. That's not going to happen. Her attitude isn't based on a perception that she's #1; she already knows that she's not that.
Hell, getting humiliated by Frieza isn't even what makes Vegeta change, its Goku dying at the end of the Cell saga. And even then he already falls back on doing the same fucking thing that got him humiliated the last two times when Goku comes back to life, except this time he realises that no; the third time isn't a charm.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017