"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:15 am

There is a big difference ... there were too many new characters that should have protagonism and development in that story
No there weren't. There were too many extras who took up way too much screentime, to the point that the interesting episodes were very distant from each other and were mostly crammed right at the end.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:33 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:09 pm Glad to see that we're getting a better idea of when Kitarou ends. I just hope that pre-production of the next series is already well underway, if not animation already finished on the first rotation of episodes.

Theoretically it's still possible nothing or not much will get announced. Iyoku can repeat a new movie is still in the works, the VA can give away a quick show to 'entertain' the audience ... And that's about it. All to keep Super under attention. I believe they applied the same tactics last year. Honestly, with all what's been going on this year (or better stated: not going on), i first want to see an official confirmation about the anime returning before i truely believe it.
It's possible, yeah. And it's possible that the earth gets hit by a meteorite anytime, too. Either way I think with Kitaro ending it wouldn't make sense not to announce anything at all. I'm sure also licensors world wide are getting impatient as well as fans.

This seems like a delayed thing considering Legrand said earlier he believed more Super would come out in fall 2019. Delaying things further would make Toei even less popular.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:38 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 am
JulieYBM wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:09 pm Glad to see that we're getting a better idea of when Kitarou ends. I just hope that pre-production of the next series is already well underway, if not animation already finished on the first rotation of episodes.

Theoretically it's still possible nothing or not much will get announced. Iyoku can repeat a new movie is still in the works, the VA can give away a quick show to 'entertain' the audience ... And that's about it. All to keep Super under attention. I believe they applied the same tactics last year. Honestly, with all what's been going on this year (or better stated: not going on), i first want to see an official confirmation about the anime returning before i truely believe it.
It's possible, yeah. And it's possible that the earth gets hit by a meteorite anytime, too. Either way I think with Kitaro ending it wouldn't make sense not to announce anything at all. I'm sure also licensors world wide are getting impatient as well as fans.

This seems like a delayed thing considering Legrand said earlier he believed more Super would come out in fall 2019. Delaying things further would make Toei even less popular.
Eric Legrand wasn't too far off - he did say at the end of the year.
I believe something will get announced. As sangofe said, Kitaro is ending soon, and if they follow the trend, its replacement will be confirmed by January at the very latest.

I don't see why they would go to the trouble of announcing these panels only for them to stand on stage and read from a manga chapter or two - not to mention it would be a huge fake tease to fans if that didn't lead to anything.
I don't believe they would go to all the trouble at Jump Festa for then to simply say nothing.
It could just be a movie, I have a feeling it *may* be both.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:25 am

DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:38 am

I believe something will get announced. As sangofe said, Kitaro is ending soon, and if they follow the trend, its replacement will be confirmed by January at the very latest.

I don't see why they would go to the trouble of announcing these panels only for them to stand on stage and read from a manga chapter or two - not to mention it would be a huge fake tease to fans if that didn't lead to anything.
I don't believe they would go to all the trouble at Jump Festa for then to simply say nothing.
To me it's pretty obvious that the licensors were told it was coming out this year but then some smart asses in Toei decided to delay it because they saw they didn't have to put effort into making more just yet because Dragon Ball was still making easy money. But if they delay things any further I think it'll damage them with licensors possibly being harder to negotiate with, or not as willing to buy a license. Hopefully Toei's not so dumb they don't understand this. I personally believe they understand they have to come out with something soon at this point.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:08 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:25 am
DBZ_Lee wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:38 am

To me it's pretty obvious that the licensors were told it was coming out this year but then some smart asses in Toei decided to delay it because they saw they didn't have to put effort into making more just yet because Dragon Ball was still making easy money. But if they delay things any further I think it'll damage them with licensors possibly being harder to negotiate with, or not as willing to buy a license. Hopefully Toei's not so dumb they don't understand this. I personally believe they understand they have to come out with something soon at this point.

All right, ... but i have fucking enough of false promises / lies by people who gave incorrect invalid information Super would in effect return.
So am i even allowed to lower my standards? If not, you better show me Super 2 becomes an absolute truth, without question, this time.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm

My guess based on nothing:

New non-DB IP in April replacing Kitaro. DB movie announced for 2020. Fandom explodes, Kanzenshuu forums implode, DBtubers die of starvation.

Heroes continues :D
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:28 pm

Ajay wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm My guess based on nothing:

New non-DB IP in April replacing Kitaro. DB movie announced for 2020. Fandom explodes, Kanzenshuu forums implode, DBtubers die of starvation.

Well. Toei is cheap and has not shown to think a long way forward, so it's certainly not impossible.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Thats what I think too

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Ajay, really, i think you always handled with the right intentions. Maybe you misjudged at first, because people didn't gave you the right information, but it wasn't your fault. You were the first to pull your hands from this shit when it proved to be wrong.

Thereafter numberous people have been repeating DBS would return, endlessly, without any prove. I won't say this will not come, but till date i haven't seen the slightest hint of it either. So, my opinion or statement now is, let someone first come with hardcore evidence before he has the right to state Super WILL return with certainty. When this happens, i'll be the first to congratulate my compatriots, but the war ain't over till the very last stand, not quite yet.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:45 pm

I think it's nice to have insiders, however, those insiders aren't subject to misinformation.
In order for ones hopes not to be dashed, accept official announcements.

We know for a fact, concerning DBS, is the manga continues and a new movie in the works.
Nothing about the DBS TV series coming back. All the wondering is making people nuts.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:14 pm

I think all this insiders stuff has made people stop speculating based on true evidence.

Back in April, there wasn’t evidence of a possible Super return. The official accounts were silent, and Kitaro was still airing with no sign of it ending soon, thus there was no spot for an eventual Super’s return.

Now that countless of people have tried to pass out speculation as leaks, fans have grown some sort of fear that Super will never return. But this hiatus has only lasted one year, and even less for countries that were still airing Super and that aired the movie months after Japan.

And now, for the first time, there’s concrete evidence that Super may indeed return on April as not only is Kitaro ending in March with no other show announced to take its place (and that spot is Toei’s, so only their shows will be there) but we also had Ryo Horikawa hyping something secret going on at Toei, and shortly after got news of Dragon Ball actually being present at Jump Festa, with 11.5 hours of panels - if this isn’t considered a big presence, then I don’t get what can.
To top it off, two panels are specifically for anime Dragon Ball Super, and even Toei advertised these on their sites. And the official Twitter DBS account broke a months long silence to advertise the same thing.

And don’t tell me that Dragon Ball not being on the “main stage” is alarming. It’s not like main stage franchises will have to make some big announcement there.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 pm

I think a smart play would be to end Toyotaro's manga run because, let's face it, it's really not that good at all with a number of differences and changes between itself and the anime making it its own set universe. What we would need is two things moving concurrently. Have a new anime run and a new manga run both beginning at the same starting point, but from two different perspectives.

Start a new DBS season beginning with after the Broly movie and have it follow the main cast. And at the same time, begin a new manga run to follow a different cast as they go about their daily lives and business that still can interconnect with the anime events while also being separate until the two intersect. Such as, perhaps, having the new manga follow along with Broly, Cheelai and Lemo, their interactions and possible encounter with U6. Or potentially meeting with other hidden and forgotten Saiyans in U7 that've been left undiscovered.

There is a wealth of stories that can be told, but they're just sitting on their asses. And I do believe that by dividing the story and having the Anime follow the Main Cast and the Manga follow the 2ndary and supporting characters more, fans will be more inclined to follow and purchase both to get the full story. And it would give fans more time to spend with these other characters that're otherwise being completely ignored.

I could absolutely see the Anime moving after Broly with the cast trying to decide how to deal with Frieza's interventions on Earth and potential future conflicts with other universes following the ToP, while the Manga follows Broly and perhaps introduces him to the U6 Saiyans. Which can be done pretty easily. You could have Cabba, Kale and Caulifla training and prepping following their loss to U7 in the ToP and getting ready for future tournaments or even the possibility of another U6/U7 tourny. And the inevitable question would arise between them of who the strongest fighter in U7 is.

Cabba will say Vegeta-sensei, Caulifla will say Goku, and Kale will say Oneesan is strongest because....well it's Kale and she loves her Oneesan. Well, this argument becomes a trying issue until Saonel and Pilina, the U6 Namekians who're also training, decide to help them out by seeing if the U6 Namekian Dragon can answer that question for them by using the Dragonballs to make a wish. Things go awry when Caulifla decides to butt in during the wishing process to instead have the Namekian Dragon find who the strongest fighter in U7 is and bring them to U6 so she can fight this person.

This of course creates a problem as an unfamiliar and very confused figure appears in front of them. Thar figure namely being Broly. And that would be a way of beginning a whole side arc with Broly and U6. And have it done so rather naturally given each characters personalities.

And if they did decide to push through the Moro arc into a new Anime Season, then this could explain Broly's lack of presence during it. Again though, what really gets me is the fact there is a mountain of potential for Dragon Ball to expand and build upon what we know, and these companies are doing nothing but dripfeeding content into games and other media to make more money from things they've already sold to people instead of trying to come up with something more for the fans.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:15 am
There is a big difference ... there were too many new characters that should have protagonism and development in that story
No there weren't. There were too many extras who took up way too much screentime, to the point that the interesting episodes were very distant from each other and were mostly crammed right at the end.
not really ... because here the tournament is the "arc" there is nothing more important .... so even the extra characters should have time to show special or interesting techniques or for teamwork
the tournament had to be slow ... what would be the point of having 80 fighters without showing something?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 am

Tai Lung wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm
not really ... because here the tournament is the "arc" there is nothing more important .... so even the extra characters should have time to show special or interesting techniques or for teamwork
the tournament had to be slow ... what would be the point of having 80 fighters without showing something?
The tournament is just an excuse for having Goku fight powerful enemies from other universes. The 70 or so extras from the other teams were there just to give off the illusion of the tournament being a massive battle royale, but it was obvious that the story was never going to give them an equal amount of representation. No writer can do that. Indeed, despite the Tournament being very slow, they still failed to showcase the vast majority of those extras. Each team's screentime for most universes was condensed in just one character. Universe 2 did not show much aside from Ribrianne and her two friends, uniiverse 3 aside from Anilaza was nowhere to be seen, universe 9 had the Trio of Brothers who lasted like 2 episodes, universe 10 had Obuni (who again was a one-episode character), and I can't even remember anyone important from universe 4. And even THEN I still think the Tournament focused too much on those extras, giving a very weird feeling when you rewatch the arc, because you have like 10 episodes of Goku and co. dicking around with weak opponents, then you have the TV special with Ultra Instinct, then you have another 10 episode segment where the only interesting thing is the Kefla fight, and only then do you get to the interesting part of the arc that everyone was waiting for, which was the U7 vs. U11 fight.

The Tournament phase itself was ultimately obnoxiously long, but the Recruitment phase wasn't much better. It had 20 episodes. 20. episodes. The Zamasu arc had as many episodes. And why even devote so many episodes to people like Krillin and Tien who are going to do jackshit anyway?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:31 pm

The voice actors are said to act out scenes from the manga that are not yet animated.
Does this mean the Moro arc? If so...Then...

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:31 pm The voice actors are said to act out scenes from the manga that are not yet animated.
Does this mean the Moro arc? If so...Then...
Well, if they are not yet animated, then that's pretty much the only choice (which does imply an anime version of the Moro arc yes), besides maybe the bonus chapter with the Cell Jr.'s on Monster Island. If it's just scenes that aren't animated in general, then it can also be scenes that went significantly differently to the anime (example: Goku's Hakai on Zamasu), I guess.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:02 pm

The voice actor of Trunks is also there. So it's probably going to be a mix of different arcs: past (Zamasu arc?) and on-going.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 pm

I honestly cannot see them not adapting Moro Arc if Super ever returns. It just feels so weird that an arc handled by both Toyotaro and Toriyama would be skipped. It would also be very strange to just create a completely new arc/story when there's an arc that's already 12 monthly chapters in.

If a new movie were to be announced, then it's likely that it would premiere December 2020 (sort of how Broly and One Piece Stampede's announcement and premiere worked, a year gap from announcement to theatrical premiere). But again, if we get a new movie with a completely new story written by Toriyama, tying back to what I said above, it would just be weird to skip Moro.

I just hope we get something. Announcement for Super 2.0 in April? Announcement for new movie for 2020?

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:53 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:19 am
Tai Lung wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:05 pm

The tournament is just an excuse for having Goku fight powerful enemies from other universes. The 70 or so extras from the other teams were there just to give off the illusion of the tournament being a massive battle royale, but it was obvious that the story was never going to give them an equal amount of representation. No writer can do that. Indeed, despite the Tournament being very slow, they still failed to showcase the vast majority of those extras. Each team's screentime for most universes was condensed in just one character. Universe 2 did not show much aside from Ribrianne and her two friends, uniiverse 3 aside from Anilaza was nowhere to be seen, universe 9 had the Trio of Brothers who lasted like 2 episodes, universe 10 had Obuni (who again was a one-episode character), and I can't even remember anyone important from universe 4. And even THEN I still think the Tournament focused too much on those extras, giving a very weird feeling when you rewatch the arc, because you have like 10 episodes of Goku and co. dicking around with weak opponents, then you have the TV special with Ultra Instinct, then you have another 10 episode segment where the only interesting thing is the Kefla fight, and only then do you get to the interesting part of the arc that everyone was waiting for, which was the U7 vs. U11 fight.

The Tournament phase itself was ultimately obnoxiously long, but the Recruitment phase wasn't much better. It had 20 episodes. 20. episodes. The Zamasu arc had as many episodes. And why even devote so many episodes to people like Krillin and Tien who are going to do jackshit anyway?

we had 10 warriors as protagonists, each with its chapters, battles and eliminations
It allows us to know the multiverse ... and gives the promise that not everything will stay in universe 7 offers new forms of fighting and combat tactics which the series had lost, interesting interactions between characters ... from different universes and how the characters learned from that experience
universe 2 blackHole ...
universe 3 majikayo a modified warrior who almost cuts off dyspo's ears and with a creative way to fight another katopesla war a warrior with special armor who fought with vegeta.
universe 9 hissop absolute zero, chappil steel warrior
universe 4 darcori warrior that uses illusions as attacks

The tournament is presented as a fighting show where many characters can be remembered for their personalities, battles or techniques. I really believe that he was given the time he needed and he did well.

No matter if it is Krillin and Tien, if they already brought them, give them something to do, I prefer that they do nothing

although I like zamasu just like cell the arcs has no secondary enemies so you can't extend anymore

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18 am

Tai Lung wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:53 am we had 10 warriors as protagonists, each with its chapters, battles and eliminations
It allows us to know the multiverse ... and gives the promise that not everything will stay in universe 7 offers new forms of fighting and combat tactics which the series had lost, interesting interactions between characters ... from different universes and how the characters learned from that experience
universe 2 blackHole ...
universe 3 majikayo a modified warrior who almost cuts off dyspo's ears and with a creative way to fight another katopesla war a warrior with special armor who fought with vegeta.
universe 9 hissop absolute zero, chappil steel warrior
universe 4 darcori warrior that uses illusions as attacks

The tournament is presented as a fighting show where many characters can be remembered for their personalities, battles or techniques. I really believe that he was given the time he needed and he did well.

No matter if it is Krillin and Tien, if they already brought them, give them something to do, I prefer that they do nothing

although I like zamasu just like cell the arcs has no secondary enemies so you can't extend anymore
I wouldn't have a problem with it if those people actually posed a threat to Goku and co., but they don't. People like U2 or U4 are weak as shit and the only reason why they lasted so long is the usual "Goku wants to fight new enemies because he likes fighting even if the universe itself is at stake".

The Kefla and Toppo/Jiren episodes are much more memorable in my opinion because there at least the protagonist actually face a threat and have to give it their all, but that's not the case for the majority of the episodes. For the majority of the episodes it's mostly Goku and Vegeta dicking around in their base forms when they could and should annihilate their opponents (because it's a competition for the sake of their universe and families).

Also I didn't really say that it was a mistake for the ToP to focus on those extras, obviously I am happy that many of them had their own techniques and personalities, but the problem is when you have entire episodes about fodder characters who could easily be demolished by the usual Saiyans.

Finally, as for the Zamasu arc, it's not really a case of extending it for the sake of having more content, because it was obvious when the arc was heading towards the end, it's more of a case of allowing that ending to breathe with a few more episodes.