"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:02 pm

Yuji wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:43 pm
precita wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:36 pm The problem with the Super anime is it went on for over 130 episodes but they clearly did not have the manpower behind it to keep it going, both animator wise and writing wise. Dragonball cannot be a continuous show that airs all year long anymore. There is not a constant stream of manga to adapt from anymore, and with all of Toei's other shows they don't have enough hands on deck.

Other than Pokemon, One Piece and I believe Naruto/Boruto, is there any other action-oriented anime these days that just continuously airs all year long with barely any breaks? I believe most other shonen anime aren't aired like this anymore, like for example Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia take long breaks between seasons rather than air continuously.
There is Black Clover also, but you are correct that most adaptations now seem to follow the seasonal approach rather than the long-running schedule, but that is also because it better allows to test the waters, see if it's a success or not. In a case like Dragon Ball, where success is essentially guaranteed, that would be one less factor to prevent them from opting to air another long-running series.

The 'issue' for TOEIs workload with Dragon Ball is: it's almost all about fighting. Just look at the Moro arc.
And the quality demand for those action sequences is very high, because of the heritage from the past.
It's possible to make a high quality fulltime DB series, but it would require a lot of
sacrifices from them. They won't be able to put their top animators on other projects anymore.
Or that would at least become very difficult. And they still have their Japanese market with specific demands to serve.

Why bother if you can keep the money coming in with well 'less investment'.
Maybe some of us can't accept why TOEI doesn't reinvest all their money in their top franchise, they can look at things from their perspective as hardcore fan and don't understand it, but TOEI may see this differently.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:39 am

Maaaaaybe they announce Xenoverse 3, and/or sequel to Kakarot, but anime...

Doubt it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:04 am

Psajdak wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:39 am Maaaaaybe they announce Xenoverse 3, and/or sequel to Kakarot, but anime...

Doubt it.
We probably won't see a sequel to Kakarot until both XV3 and FighterZ2 are released.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 am

They really should just bring the anime back. I realize that they would have to devote a lot of manpower and resources to it, especially as to avoid another "episode 5", but let's be real... the second half of Super (Future Trunks and ToP arcs) showed that this show can break the internet when it's produced well, so it would be worth it in my opinion.

Plus, as someone else said already, while Toei is still making billions upon billions of money from Dragon Ball, they are making less billions than last year. That should be enough of an incentive to continue Super.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:12 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 amThey really should just bring the anime back. I realize that they would have to devote a lot of manpower and resources to it, especially as to avoid another "episode 5".
The problem is that they've got too much they're working on now. The closest we can expect Super to return is around October next year when Digimon is over. The question is, will they give that slot to DB or something completely different ?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:45 am

I guess it all depends how much will Dragon Ball's profits need to decline before TOEI believes they need to continue Super. It may be some time because it still far outperforms other shows.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 am

Why is it that every single piece of japanese fiction nowadays has an anime but Dragon Ball Super can't get one? Super's got to come back one day, it was so popular and profitable, it makes no sense to cut it when there are anime series that don't make 1% of its profit and are still going.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:56 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 am Why is it that every single piece of japanese fiction nowadays has an anime but Dragon Ball Super can't get one? Super's got to come back one day, it was so popular and profitable, it makes no sense to cut it when there are anime series that don't make 1% of its profit and are still going.
Just my opinion, but I think they've been waiting for the manga to be ahead so they can animate it. DBS having two continuties was confusing and I think it wasn't mean to happen in the initial plans. The movie was a good time to "unite" them, so to speak.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 amWhy is it that every single piece of japanese fiction nowadays has an anime but Dragon Ball Super can't get one? it makes no sense to cut it when there are anime series that don't make 1% of its profit and are still going.
That's why they're still going, they don't make the same profits DB does so they need to constantly be in the public eye. DB (unfortunately for us) makes so much money that there's no need to have an anime/movies being present on a regular basis.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:28 amWhy is it that every single piece of japanese fiction nowadays has an anime but Dragon Ball Super can't get one? it makes no sense to cut it when there are anime series that don't make 1% of its profit and are still going.
That's why they're still going, they don't make the same profits DB does so they need to constantly be in the public eye. DB (unfortunately for us) makes so much money that there's no need to have an anime/movies being present on a regular basis.
This.. Good answer. I agree!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:16 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:22 am

I'd even dare to go beyond that.
Modern DB heavily relies on fanservice, the same concept always returns (fighters breaking their limits over and over again, combined with physical alterations), if you don't want the 'big crowd' to get oversaturated by that concept, you may simply need a break from time to time.

If the DBS anime had been kept running untill now, the revival may have been over its peak already and numbers actually could have been dropping, this while a lot more was invested in the meanwhile. By not having an anime in the air when the revival (in selling numbers) is at its peak, they still have people 'looking for more' for what is basically the same unique selling proposition the franchise has always had. This allows TOEI to invest fully in other projects, while the manga keeps the hardcore fandom 'busy'.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:10 pm

Maybe it's a different case, but Chainsaw Man, who also had a domain registered some time ago, is confirmed to have an anime.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:56 am

SSJgogeto wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:10 pm Maybe it's a different case, but Chainsaw Man, who also had a domain registered some time ago, is confirmed to have an anime.
It's different, as that's going to be a single season, while DB will be a multi year ongoing show. Toei just doesn't have the man power to pull that off currently. They're currently working on One Piece, Digimon, Dragon Quest, & world Trigger. Personally, I don't think we'll see DB back until DQ is finished, as that seems to be where Toei's most talented people are right now.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:12 pm

I still have some doubts. If Super 2.0 is announced, it will probably start after Digimon is finished. So they'll have a decent ammount of time to prepare everything.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:19 pm

If Super does come back, I doubt any of the manga stories will be adapted because they call it a "Manga exclusive arc". Unless Toyotaro send a story outline of the Moro arc to Toei.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:19 pm If Super does come back, I doubt any of the manga stories will be adapted because they call it a "Manga exclusive arc".
There's been too many major developments for it not to be adapted. Apart from that, why wouldn't they ? it's more $$$. In terms of the "manga exclusive" comment, it's true, the manga is (currently) the only way of experiencing the story.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:15 pm

If Fuji TV is keeping a Toei show on at 9am Sunday after Digimon (which is due to end in the fall) they need a team free for pre production in time for October. Be interesting to see what team is free. Dai & World Trigger I assume will roll on. Precure will never end so I guess they could recruit an entirely new team.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 pm

I like how Toei is playing smart in not announcing the anime returning (yet), I mean why waste resources on something they are already profiting enough without it? Sure anything could be better than reading Toyotaro's boring manga, but probably a new movie will come out by 2022 or so...

Nanatsu88 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:03 pm Dragon Ball is still a monster generating money despite not having anything animated (Heroes does not count) for 2 years. However, it has already been seen in the financial results that this year has gone from 10.8 billion in 2019 to 8.7 in 2020. With this rate of decline, if there is still no animated project next year, they may be earning almost half that in 2019.
I don't see that happening, also when you say billions you mean like yens not dollars, right?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:56 am

Matches Malone wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:23 pm
Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:19 pm If Super does come back, I doubt any of the manga stories will be adapted because they call it a "Manga exclusive arc".
There's been too many major developments for it not to be adapted. Apart from that, why wouldn't they ? it's more $$$. In terms of the "manga exclusive" comment, it's true, the manga is (currently) the only way of experiencing the story.
Chances are that they have been likely been planning on Super's return before the Moro saga was being written. Otherwise, they would not market it as a manga exclusive story. I have a feeling that the Super anime and manga will have two different stories going on.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:43 am

As much as the amount of fun dropped off the cliff for me with Moro as soon as they landed on Planet Namek (again), and as much as I would love for the anime to do something wildly different for a story or at least go with a completely new spin on the Moro arc....is it possible it's referenced as "manga-exclusive" not because it's exclusive to the manga, but because there just isn't an ongoing anime atm and once the anime comes back it'll just adapt Toyotaro's stuff (actually how much of the manga's story even is his vs the Dragon Room's? I wonder about that.) because that's what came next in the manga and so cause the arc to no longer be manga-exclusive?

I dunno...I hate to play devil's advocate with this because I was disappointed with how iterative Moro is of past Dragon Ball arcs and movies (It's a joyless version of the King Piccolo arc with chunks of Cell, Freeza, and Slug thrown in imo) and how frustratingly long it was made to play out (this story did not need to take two years), but I can't see Shueisha ignoring it when/if they ever return to doing a weekly Dragon Ball series because they've made a point of saying it's an official continuation.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!