"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:42 pm

And no one can surpass Goku and Vegeta!

Also I'll repost this: I call Page 1000!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 pm

Kanassa wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:
Kanassa wrote: In one way, perhaps, but Trunks needs as many ultra-powerful allies and friends as he can get, and as far as he knows, and until somebody explains what happened in the Majin Buu, Beerus, Freeza and 6th Universe arcs, he'll be thinking of Gohan as his best hope.
Not really, without knowledge of what happened after Cell, the only pople he knows would be getting stronger would be Vegeta (Since he didn't know Goku came back); not Gohan. And again, he would only be dissappointed if he found out Gohan was strong enough and didn't know Vegeta and Goku had far surpassed Gohan. Aas the episode seem to indicate, Turnks will know about Vegeta and Goku's power before meeting GOhan again.
MaGyunia wrote:Sorry but I don't agree with you when you say that he expects Vegeta to be the only one to have gotten stronger, excluding Gohan. He obviously knows Vegeta will have kept on training and evolving, as that's his character, but why on earth would he expect Gohan to stop fighting or training?
Because as far asTrunks knows, there was no more threats on Earth, thus meaning Gohan wouldn't have reason to get stronger. Vegeta is the only one Turnks would for sure know to have gotten stronger.
Hmm, I see your point and in fact when I first replied to you I assumed that's what you meant. Peace, therefore, no need to train, which might be Gohan's attitude but definitely not Vegeta's (stated by himself on numerous occasions throughout DBZ, and not only by him). But even like that, Gohan going Super Saiya-jin 2 against Cell made him basically the single most powerful fighter in the universe in Trunks' eyes, the strongest character ever, the "Saikyou no Senshi", the one who has actually really "gone beyond the limits of the Super Saiya-jin stage" to what Goku kept referring during the Cell arc. He (Gohan) was supposed to have become invincible. Even so, there's no real reason for Trunks or anyone to assume Gohan would cease from training, or, alternatively, even become less powerful due to said lack of training. I highly doubt that Trunks believes Vegeta will be above Gohan and hence his best hope against Black before they explain to him all that's been happening and what Gohan became, and what Vegeta and Goku did. But of course, it's obvious that AFTER he's told just how insanely powerful both Vegeta and Goku have become, especially when compared to Gohan, who became weaker, he'll look at Vegeta (and Goku) for help, and that goes along with the entire premise behind DBSuper as far as heroes go (Goku and Vegeta, with only minor attempts at fighting time by Piccolo, Krillin, Tenshinhan, Gohan, #18, Majin Buu, etc., mostly as a mere means to (re)introduce old techniques and give the fans no excuse to say they set aside some or any of their best characters entirely, thus pleasing everybody (so they think). Besides, there's Goku there. And even considering the likely fact that Trunks expects his father to have gotten stronger, or indeed much stronger after so many years, given his constant training and character, the increase in his power in Trunks' estimates don't necessarily mean that he has overcome Gohan, regardless of whether the latter has kept training to reach new heights or not.

In any case, after they do quickly and swiftly let him know about the Super Saiya-jin 3, the Fusion, Gotenks, Majin Buu, Beerus, Super Saiya-jin God, Hakaishins, Whis, etc., he'll understand he won't be really relying on Gohan to take care of business this time. Only in this regard can you be partially correct, he'll look to Vegeta (and especially Goku). But the route or path to which we arrived at this conclusion isn't the same you first followed.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:57 pm

So... I saw somewhere that Episode #53 description is basically Gohan and Trunks training in the new RoSaT, is... This... True?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:58 pm

Noah wrote:So... I saw somewhere that Episode #53 description is basically Gohan and Trunks training in the new RoSaT, is... This... True?
There is no description. Someone just made that up.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Would be another (re)introduction of old stuff - not going as far as calling it "rehashing", though, that would be too far hence too unfair... -, and indeed it already happened in DBSuper in the episodes prior to the tournament between the 6th and 7th Universes. Pretty much everything from DBZ has already made at the one appearance it was supposed to make, whatever the reasons behind that might be which we discuss all the time.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:12 pm

MaGyunia wrote:Would be another (re)introduction of old stuff - not going as far as calling it "rehashing", though, that would be too far hence too unfair... -, and indeed it already happened in DBSuper in the episodes prior to the tournament between the 6th and 7th Universes. Pretty much everything from DBZ has already made at the one appearance it was supposed to make, whatever the reasons behind that might be which we discuss all the time.
You know, one thing I really appriciate in Super is that it does seem to not forget... much about Z and references it well enough. Trouble is that for the people new to Dragonball, it's a worse version of the people that's frst exposure to Dragonball was GT (Seriously, the death of Piccolo and Krillin in that series ment nothing to anyone who hadn't watched Z beforehand. And to the people who did watch Z, it was probably even more stupid.)
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Well, this comment might generate a certain degree of outrage and criticism, but when it comes specifically to Dragonball (and other franchises/animes), watching the latest (both in terms of time of release AND in terms of chronological order when it comes to the storyline) series is basically raping the process. One must start with DB, then all the arcs in DBZ, then DBSuper. The movies are an entirely different matter, but at least the Bardock Special and the Trunks Special are a must, but they should be seen at the right time as well.

And I agree with you and stated it in my previous post, and had done so once more before this days ago, I think one thing they're doing extremely well in DBSuper, rather surprisingly (?) is remembering the old trademark techniques and moves, but that might be because of their utmost interest in filling the series with as much references to the past as possible, both to appeal to the long-time fans AND to have quality stuff in the show that was already created and can simply be put and inserted in this one, which additionally helps to kill and buy time.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:39 pm

MaGyunia wrote:Well, this comment might generate a certain degree of outrage and criticism, but when it comes specifically to Dragonball (and other franchises/animes), watching the latest (both in terms of time of release AND in terms of chronological order when it comes to the storyline) series is basically raping the process. One must start with DB, then all the arcs in DBZ, then DBSuper. The movies are an entirely different matter, but at least the Bardock Special and the Trunks Special are a must, but they should be seen at the right time as well.
I don't know, this isn't really an instance when any new viewer comming in would be able to see it's a sequel at first, especially when Super is supposed to bring in a new audience as well. So, a lot of the gravitas of certain moments lose weight. Like the whole draw of the RoF arc is ''OH MY GOD, FRIEZA IS BACK AND HE'S GOT A NEW FORM!"

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:14 pm

What sense would it make to watch DBSuper, despite the fact it's an all-new TV Series, without watching DB and DBZ, which contain the enormity of events that led to, at least, the first two arcs in the TV Series itself? How the hell is one supposed to make sense of virtually ANYTHING in DBSuper without thoroughly watching DB and especially DBZ, or at least somehow know the story and all the major events quite well?

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Sadly, part of the American fandom started with Z instead of DB, but even then you could follow the story without much confusion. But the idea that someone is watching Super first? That sounds like insanity.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:20 pm

MaGyunia wrote:What sense would it make to watch DBSuper, despite the fact it's an all-new TV Series, without watching DB and DBZ, which contain the enormity of events that led to, at least, the first two arcs in the TV Series itself? How the hell is one supposed to make sense of virtually ANYTHING in DBSuper without thoroughly watching DB and especially DBZ, or at least somehow know the story and all the major events quite well?
Well a lot of sequels these days are stand alone. Not just in anime but especially movies and video games. Heck I actually think you could more or less watch DBZ without having watched DB and it would maybe take a few eps to get used to the characters but you'd be fine and it would make sense.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:26 pm

I haven't seen Dragon Ball, but I know enough about it for now. And yeah, watching Super first? That's kinda weird... :wtf:
MyAnimeList | AniList

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:31 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:I haven't seen Dragon Ball, but I know enough about it for now. And yeah, watching Super first? That's kinda weird... :wtf:
I think it would be weird for an adult to watch Super first but a kid? Not really. Kids tend to see whatever they are introduced to first. In fact its likely if a kid watches Super it wont be a few years until he/she really watches DB or DBZ. Talking about little kids here.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 pm

TBH I never would think DB, Z, Super or GT would be kids' shows. Kai, perhaps, but those? Mm...
MyAnimeList | AniList

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:43 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:TBH I never would think DB, Z, Super or GT would be kids' shows. Kai, perhaps, but those? Mm...

DB had crude jokes but the story and style were very much directed towards children.

DBZ was more of a young teenagers show that adults also enjoyed because it pushed the boundaries.

I love Kai just for the voice acting of Goku honestly.

Super is a weird mix of DB and DBZ style storytelling so far. I think the next arc will be closer to Z.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:46 pm

Next arc being after Future Trunks or being Future Trunks?
MyAnimeList | AniList

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:48 pm

MaGyunia wrote:What sense would it make to watch DBSuper, despite the fact it's an all-new TV Series, without watching DB and DBZ, which contain the enormity of events that led to, at least, the first two arcs in the TV Series itself? How the hell is one supposed to make sense of virtually ANYTHING in DBSuper without thoroughly watching DB and especially DBZ, or at least somehow know the story and all the major events quite well?
Why would somone new to Dragonball, seeing Dragonball Super know that it's a sequel beforehand?

Kanassa wrote:

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Next arc being after Future Trunks or being Future Trunks?
Sorry I mean current arc. Future Trunks. I don't see how they can make this arc too comedic when it seems like a damn serious situation. I guess I mean closer to Z Kai because the violence probably won't very much in todays age. The way the story is told should feel closer to what DBZ fans are used to. Just my humble opinion as I sit here playing Dragon Ball Origins haha.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Why would somone new to Dragonball, seeing Dragonball Super know that it's a sequel beforehand?
If you decide to watch a show on a regular basis and really follow it with the proper interest and attention, one of the first pieces of information you should or must get is that (in this case) it's a sequel to quite A LOT of previous events shown in previous animes. How can someone go and watch DBSuper without knowing right off the bat that there's something preceding it called Dragonball Z?

And yeah, with a certain effort you could even watch DBZ without watching DB, but DBSuper contains Super Saiya-jin 3, the Fusion, a huge number of characters, planets, references to the past, etc., which make sense to the viewer only if he has thoroughly watched or got A LOT of information on previous events. DBSuper definitely isn't one of those stand-alone cases. And the flashbacks aren't nearly enough either. In DBSuper's case, you definitely NEED to know about at least the most important events, transformations and characters of DBZ, at least the later stages of it, in order to understand it and connect to it, otherwise you have no idea what the hell you're watching.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:17 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Just my humble opinion as I sit here playing Dragon Ball Origins haha.
I'm playing Xenoverse. :P
MyAnimeList | AniList