"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by pacz360 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 pm

Boo Machine wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Those were mostly US and hispanic fans imo, The West were more hyped about the TV Special.

If Jiren were like Xicor then it couldve done better, at least he had a personality.

Jiren should be hakaid for good, and give more screen time to Freeza.
I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not. It doesn't matter if you think it was mostly US and Hispanic fans. Even if it was that still pretty much tells you that Jiren doesn't drive people away I have no idea why you keep bringing up Xicor of all things as your example of somehow doing better.
He's trolling pal

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ziegander » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:35 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Ziegander wrote:Jiren is a bad character, yes, but he's not the reason ratings are down (if they are, I don't even care to verify it). He's also not necessarily bad for the show even though he has absolutely no personality. He represents a brick wall for Goku like he's never faced before. That in itself is interesting, and seeing where the show goes with it has appeal.

Fat Buu, heck yeah, great character, even though he repeated Cell's greatest strength of regeneration except... even more regeneration? Unclear since both could be regenerated from a single particle. But yeah, Fat Buu had personality for days.

Xicor on the other hand? I have no idea what you're talking about. Having ANY personality doesn't automatically make for a better character than having none. Xicor looked awful and his personality was point-for-point, textbook Super Evil Guy (TM), no redeeming qualities, no nuance, just arrogance, spite, brutality, and the desire to kill everything. Super interesting. :sick:
That's subjective
Thanks for adding to the discussion.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 pm

Ziegander wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Ziegander wrote:Jiren is a bad character, yes, but he's not the reason ratings are down (if they are, I don't even care to verify it). He's also not necessarily bad for the show even though he has absolutely no personality. He represents a brick wall for Goku like he's never faced before. That in itself is interesting, and seeing where the show goes with it has appeal.

Fat Buu, heck yeah, great character, even though he repeated Cell's greatest strength of regeneration except... even more regeneration? Unclear since both could be regenerated from a single particle. But yeah, Fat Buu had personality for days.

Xicor on the other hand? I have no idea what you're talking about. Having ANY personality doesn't automatically make for a better character than having none. Xicor looked awful and his personality was point-for-point, textbook Super Evil Guy (TM), no redeeming qualities, no nuance, just arrogance, spite, brutality, and the desire to kill everything. Super interesting. :sick:
That's subjective
Your welcome :thumbup:

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 pm

Well, this is just my opinion after all but I don't think Jiren is a bad character per se. I can understand why others would think so but I believe he isn't bad because he is reserved and quiet which are valid traits but I also believe we got to see more of him with how he fought Goku before the fight involving Ultra Instinct and I think Jiren is lowkey a dick by swinging Goku violently around in the rubble and placing his foot on top of Goku while hes down and pulling him up by his hair. It makes me curious about him and what exactly this type of guy wants with the Super Dragon Balls.

Compared to say Dio Brando he is nothing special but as I would apply with Dio (in the context of Phantom Blood) is that there are little things about them that make them stand out than being cookie cutter bad guys and even then I wouldn't call Jiren necessarily a bad guy.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 pm

I believe the whole motivation for Jiren wanting to gather the Super Dragon Balls could potentially add some intrigue to his character.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:17 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:Its going to be Ribrianne's Final Form.
IF she survives fighting Vegeta then it could be her, it would make sense if she goes for Goku again due to being in a weak state(she tried to sneak attack him when he was gathering energy for the genkidama).

Everyone will like Brianne if she gets a new form that makes her pretty.
After the Special I have come to the Theory that it is Likely possible that we will get one more New and likely Final Form to Ribrianne to Evens her out with the other major fighters like Goku, Frieza, Hit, Jiren and the others at this new level of Ultra Instinct. Weather it is THIS character teased or not I cannot say, I say it is possible but I feel such a form will only come after an episode focused on Her and Universe 2 as a whole. But it could be.

As for Ribranne's New Form if we get one looking more like a thinner and more traditional Magical Girl I think that should be only if it feels like this is where she is meant to go, not just cause she needs to go their cause some are not fans of her current state. But any debates online are really not a factor for Toei's chooses anyways, so any changes to Ribrianne's from to a more Traditional Magical Girl, I believe it will flow with how they want to tell her story, so if it feels right I will support it!

But it has to hit the marks then on what Traditional Magic Girl and be something unique to her for Dragon ball, both how her body changes and her outfit looks.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:22 pm

pacz360 wrote:
Ziegander wrote:Jiren is a bad character, yes, but he's not the reason ratings are down (if they are, I don't even care to verify it). He's also not necessarily bad for the show even though he has absolutely no personality.
That's subjective
It's not. Jiren is indeed a bad character, but from what has been shown from him so far. Shin defined perfectly: he is strong, that's all. No personality, no background, nothing yet for we too say he's more than just an obstacle that Goku must overcome in this arc.
Alruneia wrote:
TheDipDap1234 wrote:
Kishido wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Marron looks shorter than ever before.
Oh boy, now that you mention it... She looks like she's Bulla and Pan's size. That's not good.
Gosh, how I hate this show inability to age it's characters, but it's a nice pic overral
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 am

omaro34 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
omaro34 wrote:I think his appearance gave it away.
You do know you're watching DRAGON BALL, right?
I'm well aware. And the moment I saw Dr. Rota in the spoilers I knew he wouldn't contribute much at all. And I normally judge right. When I first saw Nappa and Vegeta being introduced back in the day without really seeing them interact I knew Vegeta would be the stronger more intimidating one because in Dragonball size doesn't matter.

I'm not talking about Caulifla, Kale, or Ribbriane either. They are catering to a newer fanbase that enjoys those characters. A pig looking doctor doesn't fit that bill.
I think this is an Important Note that I am glad you brought up.

While their is always debate on how these new characters are handle, I am a 1st hand example of a unique Factor that Without characters like Ribrianne, I WOULDN'T be talking to any of you Right Now!

Even thought I have been a Dragon Ball Fan since the 90's, Super was not grabbing me for various reasons. It took a shot in the arm with a New Character like Ribrianne to make me interested again, Caulifla and Kale have helped as well. By bring both Magical Girls and a New Ideal of expanding and making their Dragon Ball Universe more unique and rich storywise then it was before, I found enjoyable again and worth jumping on.

So it can be cause of New Characters not just New Fans, but for Veteran fans as well, that these new characters can have a unique impact on us that get us to be fans again and contribute to Super's Ratings and Fandom.

I think that has to be something that should be noticed and appreciated about these New Characters. :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:02 am

pacz360 wrote:
Ziegander wrote:
pacz360 wrote: That's subjective
The arc isn't even over yet and people are complaining about Jiren being too boring.. :roll:

The only reason this guy is participating in the tournament is solely for this wish. He doesn't care about anything else. The guy has a one track mind. Anytime this guy speaks, it's with a purpose and everyone listens. I like him and it honestly makes me want to know more about him. Which will probably come in time. People are just too impatient
How i predict the tournament will end:

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:32 am

TheOne wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Ziegander wrote:
The arc isn't even over yet and people are complaining about Jiren being too boring.. :roll:

The only reason this guy is participating in the tournament is solely for this wish. He doesn't care about anything else. The guy has a one track mind. Anytime this guy speaks, it's with a purpose and everyone listens. I like him and it honestly makes me want to know more about him. Which will probably come in time. People are just too impatient
I think we're enough episodes in to start caring about the guy.

At this point, even if he reveals his motives, I doubt the character will actually change enough to be interesting.

Pikkon and Hit are way more interesting, despite also being stoic.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 am

What are everyone's thoughts on Goku?

Did he receive a new form AND a technique?

Or is the technique the power boost/visual/fighting-without-thinking wrapped into one? Like Kaioken: It's a technique, visual change, power boost.

If He has a new form and new technique then the question is, can he use this technique in base, ss, etc? If it is indeed a skill that one can master, it only makes sense for him to be able to use it whenever. Unless they go the Db route and say it drains stamina.
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Goku?

Or is the technique the power boost/visual/fighting-without-thinking wrapped into one? Like Kaioken: It's a technique, visual change, power boost.

If He has a new form and new technique then the question is, can he use this technique in base, ss, etc? If it is indeed a skill that one can master, it only makes sense for him to be able to use it whenever. Unless they go the Db route and say it drains stamina.
I think it's basically like Super Saiyan Blue being a cheat to access Divine Ki, this is a new form that allows him to access Ultra Instinct.

Hana Midorikawa

Post by Hana Midorikawa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 am

Noah wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
Ziegander wrote:Jiren is a bad character, yes, but he's not the reason ratings are down (if they are, I don't even care to verify it). He's also not necessarily bad for the show even though he has absolutely no personality.
That's subjective
It's not. Jiren is indeed a bad character, but from what has been shown from him so far. Shin defined perfectly: he is strong, that's all. No personality, no background, nothing yet for we too say he's more than just an obstacle that Goku must overcome in this arc.
Alruneia wrote:
TheDipDap1234 wrote: Marron looks shorter than ever before.
Oh boy, now that you mention it... She looks like she's Bulla and Pan's size. That's not good.
Gosh, how I hate this show inability to age it's characters, but it's a nice pic overral
It is. You saying it’s not doesn’t change anything because your opinion is not God’s. Jiren has barely been delved into, the tournament has been focusing on a myriad of characters. He’s just now been getting relevant screentime so expecting him to display a eccentric, flamboyant, complex personality is not going to fulfill any expectations. And I’ve seen loads of people like him so far.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:16 am

The Kaioken doesn't physically change Goku outside of given him a red aura. This new form gives Goku's a different aura, changes his hair slightly, and give him silver eyes.

Most likely, he got a new transformation that gave him access to UI and not that UI is the actual form.
Last edited by HeroR on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 am

HeroR wrote:

The Kaioken doesn't physically change Goku outside of given him a red aura. This new form gives Goku's a different, changes his hair slightly, and give him silver eyes.

Most likely, he got a new transformation that gave him access to UI and not that UI is the actual form.

So do you think that Goku can use UI outside of this new form or that UI is accessible only in his new form?
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:
So do you think that Goku can use UI outside of this new form or that UI is accessible only in his new form?
In theory, yes since UI is just learning to move without thinking and shouldn't be connect to a form or power. However, the new form may give Goku better access to it since that form is Goku's inner power unleashed.

But this is all guess work since we don't know enough to know anything for sure.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:53 am

Hana Midorikawa wrote:It is. You saying it’s not doesn’t change anything because your opinion is not God’s. Jiren has barely been delved into, the tournament has been focusing on a myriad of characters. He’s just now been getting relevant screentime so expecting him to display a eccentric, flamboyant, complex personality is not going to fulfill any expectations. And I’ve seen loads of people like him so far.
Pardon, but it's not. If you had read my post right you would knew that what I said as based in what we seen from Jiren so far. The arc it's not over, they could still show more about him. The tournament is not focusing in a lot of characters, really... Half of them are just meant to fill the slot. All what we seeing so far is U6, 7, 11 and a little of U4 taking action and Jiren just like Goku are main dishes of this arc, so it's expected to see their development throughout the tournament.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 am

The summary for 112 is out and has been translated by Herms.

[spoiler]Goodbye, Hit. :cry: No mention of what happens to Jiren though.[/spoiler]

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 am

HIT IS OUT!!!!!

It is almost certainly up to the Namekians to save Universe 6 now.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 am

Damn it, I wish I didn't see that one, but oh well. Things are going to get interesting real soon.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.