"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:13 pm Toei's selected freelance writers and their series directors made good cartoon series-original episodes for Dragon Ball Super. Furthermore, we know that the studio is capable of creating original cartoon series of their own as evidence by PreCure or even just the tone and feel of the 2018 GeGeGe no Kitarou adaption or Tiger Mask W. The idea that the production staff of the next Dragon Ball animated series should not include their own ideas in the series that they themselves are slaving away to create is preposterous.
As I said, there are good original/filler esque episodes in the anime, but a good portion of those moments aren't exactly great or match the quality of other parts of the series. Some of the non-Toriyama plot points in the anime are quite controversial (like SSJ Rage or SSBE Evolution), and Watagashi's and Barry Kahn's mini arcs are also pretty lackluster.

On the other hand, there are some good original content anime like Goku Vs Hit (2nd round), the episodes focused on Goku and Krillin and other slice of life stuff. I'm basically saying that I believe the anime should add original content to the manga arcs, but with the aim of expanding on what we've already seen, rather than just padding. And all in all, TOEI has already produced some good original content so that's about it

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:28 pm

I wonder if this new movie will lead into a new animated series just like RoF did it...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:20 am

Noah wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:28 pm I wonder if this new movie will lead into a new animated series just like RoF did it...
I don't think that movie lead to production of super.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:07 am

Noah wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:28 pm I wonder if this new movie will lead into a new animated series just like RoF did it...
There isn't really any connective tissue between Resurrection F and the first original Super arc, which was the Universe 6 tournament. All I can think of is Goku and Vegeta needing to learn to work together, which is why they continued their training at the beginning of that arc. Though you could argue the lesson was learned in the Boo Arc and Super just rehashed it.

If you mean could Super Hero's success lead to a Super continuation? Probably, yeah.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:12 am

I don't know if this is purely coincidental but BoG came out 9 years ago and that is also the amount of time it's been in universe with Super Hero finally aging Goten & Trunks & being so close to Age 784!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:21 am

I don't follow, mind to explain the "the amount of time it's been in-universe" part? Nine years ago from the year Movie 2 takes place is AGE 773, that's one year before Majin Buu saga.

I do have one coincidental thing for you, though. Movie 14 takes place in the same year it was released. Amazing, isn't? :)
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:02 am

Very interesting to see the timeline in that thread matched to our real world calendar, thanks for sharing!

So I was way off with the dates :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I knew the Buu arc took place in the span of a couple of days in Age 774 and I wrongly thought BoG took place 6 months after his defeat. Therefore, I thought since in Super Hero we're almost at Age 784, (some say it's Age 783 while others say it's age 782 so I'm unsure which is true), it had been ~ 9 years in-universe.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:18 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:02 amI wrongly thought BoG took place 6 months after his defeat.
It is indeed wrong, but you have an official source backing you up. For some reason, someone decided to state Dragon Ball Super (the anime continuity, at least) starts six months after Majin Buu saga. It is a source stating nonsense, but a source nonetheless.

If you were referring to the movie, Toriyama said many times that Movie 14 takes place years after Majin Buu saga, so no excuses there!
PrinceVegetto wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:02 am(some say it's Age 783 while others say it's age 782 so I'm unsure which is true).
Movie 2 takes place in AGE 782. That much is a fact, for now at least. We know that because Pan is three years old in the movie.

The only way for those who say "it's AGE 783" to be correct is if the movie depicts Pan's birthday party stating she's turning four or if the ones doing the movie make a mistake with the dates yet again (the latter is more likely to occur, but I think neither will happen).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:08 pm

Some of the very initial elements ARE "six months later", but then immediately after that, "some time passes" and that's when we get to the appropriate four years later.

https://imgur.com/gallery/WGdnKSc

(What we're saying here in this gallery is that while the subs in that last image say "A few months rolled by", a better translation would be "Some time passes". That first part of them wishing away the memories of Boo six months later, is accurate.)

Yes, it's kind of a mess, but it all does work out.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Mon May 02, 2022 6:51 pm

Today the updated calendar of all the merchandising products related to figures from series such as My Hero Academa or Dragon Ball for the months of October, November and December has been released.

Previously when they were hiding things in these lists, blank spaces appeared as pending announcement. Examples we have the SS God, SS Blue in Fukatsu or even figures in 2015 related to Battle of Gods due to the anime premiere in July 2015.

In case of the potential premiere of the anime series when Digimon and DQ Dai ends (end of September before the hack, end of October currently) in the month of November, we would have had some possible signal in the calendar published today.
This is also not certain because it is possible that they will start trading products of the new characters of the new anime series (Merus, Moro, etc) after 2 or 3 months of the premiere of the series as these characters appear in the anime.

Well, the Dragon Ball calendars have been published and there have been no blank spaces pending confirmation... BUT the December calendar HAS NOT BEEN PUBLISHED.

This is not normal nor is it an error. The My Hero Academia calendars for October, November and December have been published today.
The 3 months of the calendar are ALWAYS published on the same day.
From Dragon Ball they have published only October and November.

This is something VERY striking and VERY to take into account.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:51 pm Today the updated calendar of all the merchandising products related to figures from series such as My Hero Academa or Dragon Ball for the months of October, November and December has been released.

Previously when they were hiding things in these lists, blank spaces appeared as pending announcement. Examples we have the SS God, SS Blue in Fukatsu or even figures in 2015 related to Battle of Gods due to the anime premiere in July 2015.

In case of the potential premiere of the anime series when Digimon and DQ Dai ends (end of September before the hack, end of October currently) in the month of November, we would have had some possible signal in the calendar published today.
This is also not certain because it is possible that they will start trading products of the new characters of the new anime series (Merus, Moro, etc) after 2 or 3 months of the premiere of the series as these characters appear in the anime.

Well, the Dragon Ball calendars have been published and there have been no blank spaces pending confirmation... BUT the December calendar HAS NOT BEEN PUBLISHED.

This is not normal nor is it an error. The My Hero Academia calendars for October, November and December have been published today.

I read your post twice and it's not clear to me what you're trying to communicate. Can you please make your major points? You don't think it's coming in October, but it might in December?

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Tue May 03, 2022 2:17 am

sangofe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:21 pm
Nanatsu88 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:51 pm Today the updated calendar of all the merchandising products related to figures from series such as My Hero Academa or Dragon Ball for the months of October, November and December has been released.

I read your post twice and it's not clear to me what you're trying to communicate. Can you please make your major points? You don't think it's coming in October, but it might in December?
Sorry for explaining things in a difficult way.
I wanted to say that yesterday's not posting the December merchandising calendar is a pretty clear sign that the anime is coming back before the end of the year.

They always publish the October November and December calendars and My Hero published yesterday October November and December.

They have not published anything about what they are going to sell from Dragon Ball in December because it will be merchandising of the saga with which the anime returns for sure.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue May 03, 2022 1:40 pm

I want to believe one of the reasons the new movie is CGI is because whatever staff they have left, like Ryota Nakamura and Shintani, are focusing on the new anime series. Those two showed they are still attached to the franchise by doing this last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d6ls6rlmUE

Something will have to replace Digimon Ghost Game anime when it ends this year. Whatever it is we still don't know, but that's DB previous time slot and dbs producer said some week ago something else besides the movie may come this year.

I doubt he's talking about more DB Heroes anime or a videogame...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Tue May 03, 2022 7:14 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:17 amThey have not published anything about what they are going to sell from Dragon Ball in December because it will be merchandising of the saga with which the anime returns for sure.
Hmm maybe if there's a retelling of Broly first then the next arc won't begin until December? We'll finally find out if they'll adapt the manga arcs or not.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue May 03, 2022 9:38 pm

At this point I don't care if they adapt Broly or not, or if they adapt the manga or whatever, just give us the anime back already!

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Wed May 04, 2022 8:20 am

I have some stuff about this franchise on my mind for quite some time that I'd like to share with you guys, just to see how absurd my headcanon is in your eyes.

I think the "Dragon Ball Room" and all the production issues Super went through may have changed how they see and use this franchise. It was a huge success despite its shortcomings and we all thought it was coming back in 2019. At the time, some very reliable sources were reporting the production of something related to Super's return. While none of that came to fruition, I find it suspicious that all of those reliable sources would throw the goodwill they took years to build with such conviction.

You see, if the Dragon Ball Room was doing its job, they'd be obligated to say: we're making the same mistake. We'll have Dragon Quest, Digimon and One Piece reaching Wano at the same time we start another Dragon Ball. The last thing people saw was the Tournament of Power and Broly, expectations would be through the roof. What material would they have? Doing a movie retelling just makes sure you get an instant bad rep for reusing stuff. Even Demon Slayer's impeccable production and staff got some shit for doing a movie retelling. That would be another mistake. In sum, bringing Dragon Ball back in 2019/2020 wasn't a good idea.

We all know what happened in 2020, that probably changes plans in one way or another. Even games started coming less frequently, the amount of long lasting support Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ have received was unseen in this franchise. It looks and feels like Dragon Ball is on hold. What do we have, though? It's not like DB is dead or anything. Toriyama is involved with the series since 2013, roughly in the same way: providing outlines of new stories. We have had movies and manga consistently, with an anime added in the middle.

If the anime comes back? Well, Toriyama still provides outlines and corrections to the monthly manga, so the best source of new material would be the Moro and Granolah arcs. In my head they're playing this smart, it would make no sense to ignore new villains, support characters, transformations and special moves approved by the original author, so that's where I think they would start. Most people don't read the manga, it'd be all new and fresh content. Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero being CGI is an attempt to keep the stream of movies coming without taking animators such as Tate or Shida out of their other franchises. If they wait for Dragon Quest, Digimon and One Piece Red's completion, these animators would have breathing space to work on new Dragon Ball. Without retellings, just like old times: running a little behind the manga.

Nanatsu88's great information on merchandise just prompted me to share these thoughts cause it kinda falls in line with my headcanon :lol:
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sun May 15, 2022 3:26 am

Do you think they will update the calendar for December as time goes on or is the calendar for the merchandising products released only once?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 16, 2022 7:40 am

I am going to have to clear somethings up, none this means anything yet:

a) Kimetsu's December's was also not published. The only reason it has been updated with 3 months is because of prize fair, it only updates with what is being shown off in the last quarter of the year

b) Most likely reasoning is because December schedule hasn't been finalised due to all of DB's May prize figures being delayed (due DB no longer selling well the series is now low priority for Bandai) so DB's schedules for the rest of this year are gonna all out of whack

c) Calendar is not trustworthy at all, it's constantly full of mistakes ie it still has SEW Gohan scheduled to release in May even though it was confirmed delayed before the update so it could've just omitted December by mistake.

d) Bandai are lazy. They don't like to merch new things, SUPER HERO has barely any merch, 70% of DBS is left un merched so if there is any new series this year odds of merch in the same year are slim. In other words there likely won't be clue to a new series from merch

e) DB prize figures are struggling in Japan to the point where DB no longer has a full schedule of prize figures in a month (5) so it could simply be they just didn't plan anything for Dec or going to point b could just be a dump month for the delayed stuff

f) Full December information ban lifts for prizes around July 29th (when game stations get sent order catalogue) if by some small odds it is hiding something we will know then (but if DBS is coming back I suspect it would be announced by then anyway but tbh I doubt DBS is coming back)

Fyi this isn't me making a Kanzenshuu come back, I am gonna disappear again...

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Tue May 17, 2022 11:11 am

Thanks for breaking it down.

There's still hope the anime might come back based on what Akio Iyoku said in January. Iyoku said there's a "chance" that "something other than the movie" will be arriving this year as well.

I doubt it's a game he's talking about since he doesn't work for Bandai. And it won't be another movie. It has to be related to DBS in some capacity...

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed May 18, 2022 9:30 pm

I wish Super had TV Specials like Z had back then about Bardock and Trunks.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?