"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BagetaSama » Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to have the DBS anime come back in September once Digimon ends, and have the movie in late 2022 after the 2nd season ends. This is of course, very optimistic, because again, I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if this movie threw off the continuity of the anime, I'd rather they have an anime version of the Moro/Granolah arcs, and THEN have this movie introduce new material similar to the anime having it's own version of the five arcs of the DBS anime, and then have a sort of "joint continuity" movie, that's supposed to exist in both the anime and manga continuities. I would imagine, that given the years since we had the anime, it's possible that they've already worked on anime episodes for the Moro arc, and this could release in September without the horrendous pre-production issues that "season 1" of DBS had.

The Moro arc is amazing, and in my personal opinion, the anime tends to handle the narrative better than the manga does, and so I would be deeply disappointed if we didn't have an anime continuity version of the Moro arc, that could improve on some of the issues of the manga version. Even if the plot was identical aside from the anime discrepancies like SSBE and SSBKK, it would still be awesome to see it adapted into anime form, with preferrably animation style more akin to the movie than the anime previously, even if of course the animation quality wouldn't be close to the movie, just if they had the animation style of the movie, that would be preferred.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 19, 2021 2:10 am

BagetaSama wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm I don't see why they wouldn't be able to have the DBS anime come back in September once Digimon ends, and have the movie in late 2022 after the 2nd season ends. This is of course, very optimistic, because again, I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if this movie threw off the continuity of the anime, I'd rather they have an anime version of the Moro/Granolah arcs, and THEN have this movie introduce new material similar to the anime having it's own version of the five arcs of the DBS anime, and then have a sort of "joint continuity" movie, that's supposed to exist in both the anime and manga continuities. I would imagine, that given the years since we had the anime, it's possible that they've already worked on anime episodes for the Moro arc, and this could release in September without the horrendous pre-production issues that "season 1" of DBS had.

The Moro arc is amazing, and in my personal opinion, the anime tends to handle the narrative better than the manga does, and so I would be deeply disappointed if we didn't have an anime continuity version of the Moro arc, that could improve on some of the issues of the manga version. Even if the plot was identical aside from the anime discrepancies like SSBE and SSBKK, it would still be awesome to see it adapted into anime form, with preferrably animation style more akin to the movie than the anime previously, even if of course the animation quality wouldn't be close to the movie, just if they had the animation style of the movie, that would be preferred.
Because there's no real time for pre-production.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed May 19, 2021 8:27 am

^This right here.

The DBS anime early on was plagued by a poor pre-production schedule.

We want to be avoiding that issue for a followup anime.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 am

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:27 am ^This right here.

We don't actually know if they've already been working on it. And Digimon ends in late September, I wouldn't say that they don't have any time for pre-production.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 19, 2021 11:26 am

BagetaSama wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 am

We don't actually know if they've already been working on it. And Digimon ends in late September, I wouldn't say that they don't have any time for pre-production.
They would have next to no staff because everyone of their usual aces are working regularly on their other series which are currently running. This is all happening while staff would also have to be recruited for this movie, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Wed May 19, 2021 11:34 am

My guess these days is that the anime will return after the movie and the end of Super's rerun.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Wed May 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Didn't Ajay and a bunch of other "leakers" triple confirmed that new episodes were being worked on back in the day when they were assuming it was coming back in 2019? (or 2020? I don't quite remember) did that turn out to be a lie as well?

Like seriously, what has Shintani been doing this whole time since the Broly movie?

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Wed May 19, 2021 2:56 pm

cuartas wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Didn't Ajay and a bunch of other "leakers" triple confirmed that new episodes were being worked on back in the day when they were assuming it was coming back in 2019? (or 2020? I don't quite remember) did that turn out to be a lie as well?

Like seriously, what has Shintani been doing this whole time since the Broly movie?
They could have been working on something, maybe plans changed. Maybe it was a lie, but I prefer to think that no one lied to us in bad faith.

Shintani could be practicing his DB art and - if Broly's visuals will be the norm - he could be crafting character sheets for the new anime.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Jean0987654321
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jean0987654321 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:06 am

Great to see DBS anime coming back. It's been so long since I watched. Gonna be interesting to see how the new dub VA handles Broly tho

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 am

Jean0987654321 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:06 am Great to see DBS anime coming back. It's been so long since I watched. Gonna be interesting to see how the new dub VA handles Broly tho

Huh? Where do you have conformation about this?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu May 20, 2021 2:05 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:57 am
Jean0987654321 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:06 am Great to see DBS anime coming back. It's been so long since I watched. Gonna be interesting to see how the new dub VA handles Broly tho

I have thought for a while that after this new movie they could do another movie.
But: it does not make sense the animes return is being teased on their own website by their co-staff if it's definitely not planned. They know a lot of fans are waiting for it, so the franchise isn't making themselves very popular by mentioning it themselves if it's not going through at all.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Thu May 20, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 pm

In the end it was obvious that the anime would come back, it was a matter of when and not if. The anime completely broke streaming records and was one of the most popular of its time, the episodes were literally watched live-streamed in huge city centres. No other anime received as much exposure and popularity as Super. I dare say that it was a cultural phenomenon, given how it was live-streamed in huge city centres and watched by huge crowds of people.

And really this shouldn't surprise anyone, in fact I'm pretty sure Victory Uchida even said once that he hoped Moro had a good VA. There were always plans for the anime to come back.

People in this thread tried to counter this by saying that Super did not need an anime series to generate billions, and at the time I bought this argument, but looking back I realized that it's a silly argument. Billions don't just come out of nowhere, and with no Super anime show running weekly the series will get a lot less exposure, meaning that it will generate way less money. And No, one movie every 4 years is naturally not enough to keep the interest in the series going.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu May 20, 2021 2:24 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 pm In the end it was obvious that the anime would come back, it was a matter of when and not if. The anime completely broke streaming records and was one of the most popular of its time, the episodes were literally watched live-streamed in huge city centres. No other anime received as much exposure and popularity as Super. I dare say that it was a cultural phenomenon, given how it was live-streamed in huge city centres and watched by huge crowds of people.

And really this shouldn't surprise anyone, in fact I'm pretty sure Victory Uchida even said once that he hoped Moro had a good VA. There were always plans for the anime to come back.

People in this thread tried to counter this by saying that Super did not need an anime series to generate billions, and at the time I bought this argument, but looking back I realized that it's a silly argument. Billions don't just come out of nowhere, and with no Super anime show running weekly the series will get a lot less exposure, meaning that it will generate way less money. And No, one movie every 4 years is naturally not enough to keep the interest in the series going.

But it is true. It's not a silly argument at all. It has been generating a massive amount without anime, and that was the reason why they could permit themselves investing in other projects for an extented period without DBS anime having priority in the first place.

If it comes back, even then it has taken a lot lot lot lot lot longer than some guys had predicted.
They weren't right at all at the end, not even close.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:32 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:24 pm
SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:13 pm In the end it was obvious that the anime would come back, it was a matter of when and not if. The anime completely broke streaming records and was one of the most popular of its time, the episodes were literally watched live-streamed in huge city centres. No other anime received as much exposure and popularity as Super. I dare say that it was a cultural phenomenon, given how it was live-streamed in huge city centres and watched by huge crowds of people.

But it is true. It's not a silly argument at all. It has been generating a massive amount without anime, and that was the reason why they could permit themselves investing in other projects for an extented period without DBS anime having priority in the first place.

If it comes back, even then it has taken a lot lot lot lot lot longer than some guys had predicted.
You almost seem upset at the prospect of the anime coming back, I don't see why. Even if those people had been right you should rejoice that Super will get more animated content, I mean besides the movie every 4 or so years.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu May 20, 2021 2:41 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:32 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:24 pm

You almost seem upset at the prospect of the anime coming back, I don't see why. Even if those people had been right you should rejoice that Super will get more animated content, I mean besides the movie every 4 or so years.

I personally have never claimed the anime would definitely never come back.
It was justified enough IMHO to search for answers why it didn't come back as soon as many had expected, and what exactly the reason could have been behind this strategy (point of view franchise and/or TOEI).

But as we speak: we still need an official announcement to date. It's still speculation what we are doing.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu May 20, 2021 4:10 pm

I just hope that when it comes back that they make it seasonal so they can put what would normally be their budget for 50 episodes into 15 episodes and we get really high quality animation.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 20, 2021 11:56 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:05 pm

I have thought for a while that after this new movie they could do another movie.
But: it does not make sense the animes return is being teased on their own website by their co-staff if it's definitely not planned. They know a lot of fans are waiting for it, so the franchise isn't making themselves very popular by mentioning it themselves if it's not going through at all.
Don't you know that's a translation error due to machine translation?

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri May 21, 2021 9:14 pm

sangofe wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 11:56 pm

Yeah I heard the same thing.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat May 22, 2021 6:06 am

The franchise has launched this new website because they want to bring the news themselves, in order to establish a sort of 'trust relationship' with the fans. There have been a lot of false claims in the past considering the animes return, but they didn't come directly from TOEI Japan or Shueisha.

Of course that animator isn't going to announce a new DBS anime in that interview. But it would be a strange way to establish this company-client trust by teasing (even if it's 'only looking forward to something that possibly might be coming') in one of the first big articles on the new site when it isn't coming or planned at all. While they know fans are looking forward to the anime for a very long time. It would be misleading to say the least. I wouldn't do that if if a were the franchise and had decided to do only movies for the next 5-10 years.

Better keep your reservations though untill there is an official announcement.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat May 22, 2021 6:35 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:06 am

The franchise has launched this new website because they want to bring the news themselves, in order to establish a sort of 'trust relationship' with the fans. There have been a lot of false claims in the past considering the animes return, but they didn't come directly from TOEI Japan or Shueisha.

Of course that animator isn't going to announce a new DBS anime in that interview. But it would be a strange way to establish this company-client trust by teasing (even if it's 'only looking forward to something that possibly might be coming') in one of the first big articles on the new site when it isn't coming or planned at all. While they know fans are looking forward to the anime for a very long time. It would be misleading to say the least. I wouldn't do that if if a were the franchise and had decided to do only movies for the next 5-10 years.

Better keep your reservations though untill there is an official announcement.
It's true they use machine translations though for everything on the the site. And a big error occurred in that interview.