"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sodhi
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Sodhi » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:46 am

Anyone know the titles for episode 10-13. I got these
見せろサイヤ人悟空!
壮絶!神と神の戦い!
激突!悟空VSビルス!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:06 am

Pannaliciour wrote:Perhaps this is said before, but is Gregory canon or not? He appears in the anime (super) not BOG or manga.
He's canon to the anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:09 am

Mystic Tien wrote:Also this. Super so far is fully a project of Toei, much like Dragon Ball/Z anime was, only with having no Toriyama's manga as base, so inclining towards GT.
They're not doing new BoG and RoF arcs from scratch, they're adaptations from movies where Toriyama directly worked, so the movies work like the manga worked for DB/Z, as an original source, while GT was pretty much 100% Toei's baby.
Even is Toriyama is now entirely focused on the U6 arc (which i believe to be the case), they're still using tidbits that didn't make the cut, Toriyama's revelations from interviews, adding foreshadowing, etc. They know where they are and where they want to go thanks to his involvement. So i think that, for Toei, the production has been much more like DB/Z than GT. If somehow the show goes beyond the U6 arc and Toriyama gets a lot less involved, than it would be inclining towards GT, even if Toei keeps building up on his ideas (coming up with new universes, etc).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:23 am

sintzu wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Perhaps this is said before, but is Gregory canon or not? He appears in the anime (super) not BOG or manga.
He's canon to the anime.
He was also in the 2008 Jump Special too. You could say that Toriyama give him the Bardock treatment.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:36 am

sintzu wrote:
He's canon to the anime.
But Super is canon to the original manga. Meaning Toriyama must've liked the idea of Gregory as a character and decided to keep him.

SSJGBGoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGBGoku » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:47 am

Sodhi wrote:Anyone know the titles for episode 10-13. I got these
見せろサイヤ人悟空!
壮絶!神と神の戦い!
激突!悟空VSビルス!
Episode titles were discussed few pages ago. Scroll few pages back. There's a discussion.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:49 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... con/.92575

Hopefully they'll announce the English dub of Super alongside Kai's Buu saga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:41 pm

garfield15 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:-About the the new ending-
Funniest thing about changing the ending is that the opening is what sucks.
The ending is awesome. The opening is bad and they will keep it until the end. They will probably just change some clips like they did with Kai.
Exactly. The first "round" of Kai from 2009 to 2011, while retaining the same opening theme, had a total of four different animation sequences in the second half, one for each arc that was running at the time (one for the Saiya-jin arc, one for the Freeza arc, one for the Jinzouningen arc and one for the Cell arc). It would seem more than likely that DBSuper as a TV series will do the same and do some tweaks to the animation of the opening (although we do get hints to both the Freeza arc - Vegeta and Goku fighting the Freeza army-armored soldiers - and the 6th Universe arc - the appearance of Champa and his attendant), besides a mere change to the silhouette seen when the episode title is shown (in the Beerus arc we obviously get Beerus, in the Freeza arc we'll obviously get Freeza and one could only speculate on what we'll get by the 6th Universe arc, but it could be Champa or some other, real main villain from the 6th Universe).

All of this time we've been talking as if there wasn't going to be anything BEYOND the 6th Universe arc in DBSuper as a series, which would have some similarities with GT (also three main arcs and a much lower number of episodes when compared to DB and DBZ), but until we get official info or get to the point of the conclusion of the 6th Universe arc there's no way to tell whether or not they'll go beyond that, perhaps even jumping out of the 10 year gap between the defeat of Kid Buu and the last 3 episodes of DBZ that we seen to be "stuck" in in the 2008 Special, BoG, Fukkatsu no F and DBSuper.

Our previous estimates seem to be accurate, the Beerus arc's retelling of the events of BoG will take about 12 episodes, after which we'll most likely get two smoother episodes (where I'd really like to see some stuff and events which happened off-screen at some point in-between BoG and Fukkatsu no F, in the movies' version of events) building up to the Freeza arc, which should also be completed within about 12/14 episodes. It could thus be speculated that we should be moving on the 6th Universe arc by episode 24/26.

The length of the 6th Universe arc in terms of number of episodes is a total mystery, but taking into account that for a number of reasons it will certainly be the longest one, and if DBSuper does end at its conclusion, the series should last/run for no longer than 56/60 episodes; I just can't see the 6th Universe arc stretching out so much as the arcs in DB and DBZ, back in the 80's and 90's there was the entire immensity of filler material which comprised about 50% of the anime (sometimes even entire arcs, like the Garlic Jr. one).

What I would REALLY like to see, and this absolutely needs to happen, is Vegeta turning Super Saiya-jin God himself, his and Goku's decision to train under Whis at the latter's request or otherwise, and Freeza training. These three events "happened" off-screen at some point in-between BoG and Fukkatsu no F in the movies' version of events, we NEED to see them on-screen in DBSuper. Taking two or three episodes to cover it would be much, much better than "wasting" them in smoother stuff with no real deep meaning or interest.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:45 pm

sintzu wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-b ... con/.92575

This looks to me like they finally succeeded in acquiring Super. I really hope so. How much easier it'll be to have a simulcast with subs by the end of Saturday nights, EST.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:46 pm

Doctor. wrote:
There is no "canon". He was designed by Toriyama himself and appears in the Z anime, Kai, the 2008 JSAT special (along with its manga counterpart) and Super. Take that as you will.
Next time you read the manga, just pretend he's off using the bathroom or something and that's why he's not there. :lol:

I'm very excited to see what ways they chose to expand on RoF's plotline. They've done pretty much nothing with BoG except put it on a boat for whatever reason, so my hopes aren't too high, but there's way more you can do to expand RoF than you can BoG so I'm still hopeful.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:57 pm

Chuquita wrote:

This looks to me like they finally succeeded in acquiring Super. I really hope so. How much easier it'll be to have a simulcast with subs by the end of Saturday nights, EST.
If they have indeed acquired it, it might not be a simulcast, it might just be that they acquired the home video rights or a TV deal like with Kai.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:
There is no "canon". He was designed by Toriyama himself and appears in the Z anime, Kai, the 2008 JSAT special (along with its manga counterpart) and Super. Take that as you will.
I agree, "cannoness" is a concept which is hard to describe. It's much easier to just theorize that "canon" is whatever doesn't generate plot holes/inconsistencies or contradicts the stream/sequence of events from DB and DBZ (which would include, just for example's sake, Movie 9). I guess that's the best way to look at it.
Araki wrote:
Mystic Tenshinhan wrote:Also this. Super so far is fully a project of Toei, much like Dragon Ball/Z anime was, only with having no Toriyama's manga as base, so inclining towards GT.
They're not doing new BoG and RoF arcs from scratch, they're adaptations from movies where Toriyama directly worked, so the movies work like the manga worked for DB/Z, as an original source, while GT was pretty much 100% Toei's baby.
Even is Toriyama is now entirely focused on the U6 arc (which i believe to be the case), they're still using tidbits that didn't make the cut, Toriyama's revelations from interviews, adding foreshadowing, etc. They know where they are and where they want to go thanks to his involvement. So i think that, for Toei, the production has been much more like DB/Z than GT. If somehow the show goes beyond the U6 arc and Toriyama gets a lot less involved, than it would be inclining towards GT, even if Toei keeps building up on his ideas (coming up with new universes, etc).
That's why GT was so awful despite its somewhat large potential. It was made right after DBZ ended, and Toriyama made it clear he wanted to put an end to DBZ as soon as possible (hence the unsatisfactory ending to the series in those last 3 episodes) due to the fact he was - understandably - tired of supporting the pressure of having to consistently and constantly come up with ideas for new characters, stages and events on an incessant basis for a decade; therefore, no Toriyama in GT, which automatically decreased the series' quality. It was also made for commercial purposes, took on the worst of DBZ had by the Majin Buu arc and on none of what made all the arcs of DB and DBZ so fantastic, and got totally or partially rid of previously main characters and warriors with fantastic backgrounds. These are GT's main flaws, in my view.

No matter what they come up with in DBSuper, it will not only be superior to GT, it also needs to be looked at and analyzed from a totally new perspective. It's being done 18 years after the last series ended, with all that entails and is partially based on/retelling the stories of two theatrical features from two years and a few months ago, respectively. The only way there's some distant and faint similarity between GT and DBSuper is the fact that by the exploration of the 6th Universe arc they'll also go outside of Earth and look for a new set of Dragon Balls as well (and the potential length of the TV series, in terms of number of episodes and arcs).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:17 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

If they have indeed acquired it, it might not be a simulcast, it might just be that they acquired the home video rights or a TV deal like with Kai.
Even if it's only home video rights/a TV deal, that's still a license acquisition and still an accomplishment. I'm sure Funi's doing everything they can to get a license for Super.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

trunkschan90
Beyond Newbie

Post by trunkschan90 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Dragon Ball Super will be dubbed for Latin America.
http://www.anmtvla.com/2015/09/dragon-b ... -para.html

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:54 pm

MaGyunia wrote:I agree, "cannoness" is a concept which is hard to describe. It's much easier to just theorize that "canon" is whatever doesn't generate plot holes/inconsistencies or contradicts the stream/sequence of events from DB and DBZ (which would include, just for example's sake, Movie 9). I guess that's the best way to look at it.
That creates problems too. The manga has contradictions and plot holes as well. What about the stuff that is approved by Toriyama but also has plot holes and inconsistencies? Or what about the changes from the manga's original WSJ run to the Tankoubon release and then to the Kanzenban release?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:56 pm

trunkschan90 wrote:Dragon Ball Super will be dubbed for Latin America.
Fuck yes. I really hope she dubs Goten again.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:57 pm

I do think Funimation was going to announce Super sooner then later. Some fans where freaking out that it would come out too late and it won't sell because fans already seen it. Only the niche group of fans like us watch the series sub, most fans will wait for the series dubbed in English.
She/Her

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Yet we've still no news on a simulcast for Super from FUNi...

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:34 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Yet we've still no news on a simulcast for Super from FUNi...
They plan to do something with Super at New York soon. I think we might get it early 2016 like sometime after the blu-ray release in Japan.
She/Her

DranzerX13

Post by DranzerX13 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:21 pm

Here's the full title for Dragon Ball Super Episode 10.

10. Show me, Goku! The Power of Super Saiyan God!!
見せろ悟空!超サイヤ人ゴッドのパワー!!
Misero Goku! Chō-Saiya-jin Goddo no Pawā!!
2015/09/13

The "Show me, Goku!" part is Beerus pretty much asking Goku to show him the power of Super Saiyan God.

https://cal.syoboi.jp/tid/3830/time