"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 am

If the franchise keeps repeating that same message on their official website: "hey guys, let's look forward to an anime that MAY return" or at Jump Festa each year over and over again ....
When it really doesn't at the end, we at least will know who had insunuated that mirage of something that isn't there. And it's clearly not the Youtubers in that case.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 24, 2021 9:25 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 am If the franchise keeps repeating that same message on their official website: "hey guys, let's look forward to an anime that MAY return" or at Jump Festa each year over and over again ....
When it really doesn't at the end, we at least will know who had insunuated that mirage of something that isn't there. And it's clearly not the Youtubers in that case.
It's a cheap and easy way to keep people thinking about Dragon Ball.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:25 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 am If the franchise keeps repeating that same message on their official website: "hey guys, let's look forward to an anime that MAY return" or at Jump Festa each year over and over again ....
ok, but then it's a translation mistake or a deliberate lie refreshed every year to keep the hype? which at this point, it's not an honest mistake anymore

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 25, 2021 12:23 am

cuartas wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:25 am
ok, but then it's a translation mistake or a deliberate lie refreshed every year to keep the hype? which at this point, it's not an honest mistake anymore
I don't think the translation error is intentional but the interview is.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 29, 2021 6:19 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm2023 seems way too far for Super to return. 5 years after the anime went on hiatus? That’s a long ass time. :lol:
Please, you call 5 years long? Then you would probably kill yourself during the 18 years hiatus we had between GT finale to Super pilot. And by that matter I think the anime might return on 2030s.

Toei has no reasons to schedule a new animated series now, DB still #1 in Japan and profits are bigger than when the final DBS episode aired. They learned with their mistakes, that why the strategy now is doing movies in 2, 3 years to still keep fans interested in new content.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat May 29, 2021 8:40 pm

Noah wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:19 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm2023 seems way too far for Super to return. 5 years after the anime went on hiatus? That’s a long ass time. :lol:
Please, you call 5 years long? Then you would probably kill yourself during the 18 years hiatus we had between GT finale to Super pilot. And by that matter I think the anime might return on 2030s.
Don’t you think that there’s a better way of wording what you just said without sounding like a total asshole? And I used to wonder why I didn’t post in these forums for almost a year. It’s so difficult to engage in a discussion about a cartoon of all things without some people writing nonsense like that.

But yes, 5 years is a long time in the modern Dragon Ball era. Super’s hiatus feels long in particular because we know there’s more stuff to cover. There’s a whole manga arc that could be adapted into an anime. The gap between GT and Super was a different story because there was nothing else to cover. We knew back then Toriyama’s manga was over and GT was an anime-only project that didn’t do so well. But today, we know there’s more to this story and the Super anime ending teased of more to come. Even the Broly movie had an open ending. If they keep prolonging the anime’s return then fans will eventually lose interest, so I’m glad we’re getting a movie next year and I’m hoping that the anime will return soon as well.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:13 am

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... lm/.175784

Digimon confirmed to have a new movie and new tv series, which will most likely replace current Digimon reboot anime airing right now (DBS time slot). If there was still any doubt, DBS anime won't return this year.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:31 am

Yeah, my guess is that the anime will return October 2022 or 2023 at the earliest.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:38 pm

And i wonder when the Moro and Granolah arcs will be adapted, if the movie story indeed starts after those arcs, as it seems for now.
There are a lot of people out there that haven't read the manga. It would suprise me if they would do a backwards timeskip when it comes to the animated continuity, right after they done a timeskip in the movie (IF the anime were te return after this movie, and they didn't decide to make a third Super-movie after this one, which remains a possibility). That would be very confusing for a lot of fans.
They also have never actually done that. Besides BOG and ROF, but those arcs were already animated in movies, which is a different cradle of fish.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 pm

Unsurprisingly I suppose, DBS will have a presence at Jump Festa again:

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:20 am

DBS Super producer teased something after the next movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DIM5ngYJHs

"There's also a chance that something other than the movie will be coming this year too".

I think it's the anime :D
What do you think? I don't think it's about a new game or the manga. We already have breakers this year and a new arc after Granollah.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:54 am

It's a DBS live action movie made by disney :clap: :clap: :clap:

NB: i'm joking

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:58 am

Gt91 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:20 am DBS Super producer teased something after the next movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DIM5ngYJHs

"There's also a chance that something other than the movie will be coming this year too".

I think it's the anime :D
What do you think? I don't think it's about a new game or the manga. We already have breakers this year and a new arc after Granollah.
Might be, though Ajay's tweet about how there aren't any animators currently available for a new series worries me. Unless they're planning on switching to 3D for good with this franchise which is not something I'm too keen on if I'm being honest :(
Anyway, let's see.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:42 am

Dragon Quest Dai is ending this year, either in July or August at the latest. Perfect time for Toei to replace one popular Dragon franchise with the other :lol:

I'm hoping for the best!

I can also imagine them adapting Toyotaro's manga from Chapter 1 again so the series isn't too short with just Moro and Granolah arcs, who knows? They may want to keep things consistent now.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:48 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:42 am Dragon Quest Dai is ending this year, either in July or August at the latest. Perfect time for Toei to replace one popular Dragon franchise with the other :lol:
I haven't watched this series, but from small clips and previews it looks really good and is very well animated. I'd love for a DB series to be done by the same team/production process.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:14 am

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_770.html

So basically:

- Granollah arc is ending very soon
- New DLCs for XV2, KAKAROTH and FIGHTERZ
- Hints about a possible return of the anime
- News about all the games in february.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:57 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:42 amI can also imagine them adapting Toyotaro's manga from Chapter 1 again so the series isn't too short with just Moro and Granolah arcs, who knows? They may want to keep things consistent now.
I'd say the plan would be to keep things consistent for now. I could see TOEI rebooting Super and adapting Toyotaro's manga maybe sometime when we have another Dragon Ball drought, as I don't think anyone wants more retellings of five arcs. For now they will probably be creating the first animated version of the Moro and Granolah arcs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:59 am

Gt91 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:14 am https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_770.html

So basically:

- Granollah arc is ending very soon
Aha ! This further solidify my theory of the manga position as a mere promotional material rather than the main work

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:10 am

Dragon Quest Dai could be ending this year. 2uper takes Digimon’s time slot. Digimon and Dai’s production teams combine for 2uper. Shintani or Kubota could be the lead animation director. Maybe even Nagamine could come back? (pretty please??) The anime returns October this year and rides off of the (hopeful) success of the Super Hero film.

Please let it all come to fruition. I beg. :(

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:35 am

Jinto wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:59 amAha ! This further solidify my theory of the manga position as a mere promotional material rather than the main work
Weird how it hasn't promoted anything except the telling of its own stories for the last 3 years, then. Even the Broly movie got a grand total of a single page of 'promotion' in the manga (plus a couple more in a bonus chapter elsewhere) before it went right on ahead and did a totally different storyline for 2 years straight.

All DB media being naturally subordinate to and working for the sake of advancing the franchise at large =/= 'mere promotional material'. The manga, anime, and movies (and games, for that matter) are all proper storytelling works in their own right, and should be regarded as such.