"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Marco Polo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:52 am

MajinMan wrote:You know what, I don't really mind a BOG rewrite if that's what's happening. I think what Toriyama might do is instead of Bulmas birthday party, we get Gohan and Videls wedding crashed by Beerus and Whis. I could just imagine the whole crew in suits and dresses fighting Beerus. If this happens, all will be forgiven. And hey it might be an improvement over BOG because it has more room to breathe, being an anime and all. (Oh god, I just thought of Goku giving a toast to Gohan with a chicken leg....I'm going into fanfiction land.)
I doubt they'll be fighting in suits or civilian clothes. When this situation occurs (Yo! Son Goku and Friends, Battle of Gods) they just remove their clothes in one single movement and it turns out they magically had their usual gi underneath the whole time.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:00 am

MajinMan wrote:You know what, I don't really mind a BOG rewrite if that's what's happening. I think what Toriyama might do is instead of Bulmas birthday party, we get Gohan and Videls wedding crashed by Beerus and Whis. I could just imagine the whole crew in suits and dresses fighting Beerus. If this happens, all will be forgiven. And hey it might be an improvement over BOG because it has more room to breathe, being an anime and all. (Oh god, I just thought of Goku giving a toast to Gohan with a chicken leg....I'm going into fanfiction land.)
The funny (or sad) thing is, if Super changes the scenario for Gohan's wedding, some people will still claim that Toriyama "forgot" it was supposed to be Bulma's birthday and is contradicting himself. :lol:

Personally, i would like to see that, it does sound more interesting. A birthday is too random and it could be anyone's, while Gohan's wedding is a more significant event.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:50 am

I see it like this I guess it helps lol

Dragon Ball - Z - BOG - ROF - GT(arguably)

Dragon Ball(z)Kai - Super

Dragon Ball (manga) - Super

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:24 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:I see it like this I guess it helps lol

Dragon Ball - Z - BOG - ROF - GT(arguably)

Dragon Ball(z)Kai - Super

Dragon Ball (manga) - Super
I see it differently:

1: Dragon Ball (manga).
2: Dragon Ball - Z - GT.
3: Dragon Ball - Dragon Ball (Z) Kai.
4: Dragon Ball - Z - BOG - ROF.

I'll have my opinion about Super's placement once we know if it does or doesn't rewrite the movies.
However, I won't include it in any of the first two timelines: I like to think about the manga and the 3 classic anime series as a finished story.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:27 am

Why is everyone assuming that Super will re-write the new films? Shoehorn stuff in? Sure - but total re-writes? I'm not sure I've seen any hard evidence of that.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:28 am

Tbh i don't really see the point of a rewrite if everybody saw the movie already just do a recap of bog & rof to get some people caught up.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:34 am

Chuquita wrote:I don't want to lose smoothly-animated breakdancing-Beerus. :cry:
That's going to happen if we're redoing the whole thing.

Well, if we have to redo BOG and F in extended TV versions, *starts making a list of what she'd want to see expanded on*:

BOG:
-Bulma's decision to throw herself a party, Vegeta's decision to not bother going because training, Bulma telling Gokû not to forget the day of her party.
-what Bulma's birthday cake looks like
-Piccolo's singing on stage animated with movement and sound
-whatever scenes all those discarded Vegeta reaction-faces in the mook were from
-Gokû sneaking around and watching Vegeta's BINGO dance from afar
-actually show Gokû transforming into ssjg the first time he does it (instead of shooting form an angle hundreds of feet away for some reason). Bonus points for if the transformation sequence parodies magical girl transformations.

F:
-Vegeta making Gokû take him with him to Beerus' and Whis' planet
-What Gokû and Vegeta's living accommodations on Beerus' and Whis' planet look like (I'm head-canoning "bunk-beds" until proven otherwise).
-Freeza's training montage. Bonus points for any Rocky reference.
-where are Goten and Trunks? Do they look any older? We never found this out. (Mai and Marron as examples elude that they didn't, but...?)
-what happens at the end? Do Gokû and Vegeta head back to train some more? Do they stay on Earth? Does Beerus go back to bed immediately after all this is over?

Vegeta: Why does Kakarot gets to be on top!?

Whis: Teheehee~ n.n

Vegeta: T-that's not what I- !!!

Goku: Don't worry Vegeta! We can change places whenever you want! :D

Vegeta: SHUT UP!!!
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:38 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:
I see it differently:

I'll have my opinion about Super's placement once we know if it does or doesn't rewrite the movies.
However, I won't include it in any of the first two timelines: I like to think about the manga and the 3 classic anime series as a finished story.
Don't the new movies follow manga-canon though? So they can't be a follow up to the Z anime in that sense.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:52 am

Blade wrote:Why is everyone assuming that Super will re-write the new films? Shoehorn stuff in? Sure - but total re-writes? I'm not sure I've seen any hard evidence of that.
If the series dose follow the manga, which it may very well be doing since there are matching scenes in both, then people like myself have a very a evidence to base this assumption on.

Beerus is awake a few months or a year after Buu was defeated, that already contradicts BoG as Beerus stated that he had been asleep for 39 years. Also in the movie Beerus remembers the Super Saiyan God dream after talking to Whis while in manga its the Soup Yasai Jinkot that reminds Beerus of the his dream. The two events aren't compatible ether because Goku's training on King Kai's planet started before Beerus woke up.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:54 am

Captain Space wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:
I see it differently:

Don't the new movies follow manga-canon though? So they can't be a follow up to the Z anime in that sense.
Written by Toriyama as though a continuation of the serialised Manga plot, but branded as Z by Toei. Technically they can be taken as being both a continuation of either (or both) the Manga and the Anime.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:08 am

SSJ Human wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Even twenty episodes is probably too much. The first chapter of the comic reads like a third of an episode, six or seven minutes, not a full twenty.
You've read it? I remember it coming out today (11:58 pm), but not seeing it anywhere. How was it?
Going by the summary, at least. There's no way this isn't just a part of an episode rather than a full episode.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:44 pm

I know we all described him as a "fat Beerus" but looking at the art again Champa isent really that fat. Chunky yes but not fat also he looks taller then Beerus but with shorter ears or it could just be the way their drawn.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Regardless of where the story goes, I got mostly good vibes from the first chapter. I think Toriyama is better at writing in a chapter/episodic format as opposed to cramming everything in an hour and 20 minutes or so.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:55 pm

I do too. I think the pacing of a weekly show will benefit him well.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:08 pm

So, despite the money stuff from Mr. Satan, I guess the 2008 Special comes before Super.
In the 2008 Special, Videl and Gohan still look like students obviously not married, Krilin hasn't changed his haircut yet, nobody has changed look and clothes from the Boo saga except for Goku who is the first to sport his post-2008 costume.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'll just make my friends and cousins go from Boo's defeat to 2008 (necessary to introduce Table who is mentionned in BOG) to Super.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:I know we all described him as a "fat Beerus" but looking at the art again Champa isent really that fat. Chunky yes but not fat also he looks taller then Beerus but with shorter ears or it could just be the way their drawn.
Erhm, I think when you got an abdomen like that and no neck most people would consider you fat. Especially in Dragonball where everyone has perfect abs. :P

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:18 pm

TRL wrote:
Lord Freeza wrote:I know we all described him as a "fat Beerus" but looking at the art again Champa isent really that fat. Chunky yes but not fat also he looks taller then Beerus but with shorter ears or it could just be the way their drawn.
Erhm, I think when you got an abdomen like that and no neck most people would consider you fat. Especially in Dragonball where everyone has perfect abs. :P
I wonder if someone pointing that out to him is what normal gets their planet blow up? :lol:

Besides you dont need to be in great shape when you can destroy planets by sneezing and vaporize anyone who talks about your weight.

TRL
Beyond Newbie

Post by TRL » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:
TRL wrote:
Lord Freeza wrote:I know we all described him as a "fat Beerus" but looking at the art again Champa isent really that fat. Chunky yes but not fat also he looks taller then Beerus but with shorter ears or it could just be the way their drawn.
I wonder if someone pointing that out to him is what normal gets their planet blow up? :lol:
Hehe that would be pretty funny. Although I wonder if anyone would have the guts to try any fat jokes on Champa. xD

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:52 pm

TRL wrote:
Lord Freeza wrote:
Hehe that would be pretty funny. Although I wonder if anyone would have the guts to try any fat jokes on Champa. xD
Well seeing how Whis treats Beerus Champa's teacher might be the only person who would be able to tell him to lay off the pudding and not get blown up. Whis might also get a joke or two in as long as Champa isn't stronger then him.

Also I hope Champa and his teacher have as much character as Beerus and Whis. Their both wonderful characters and great additions to the series, I'm glade their no longer just movie characters.

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:10 pm

I don't know if someone has pointed this out before (I'm just too lazy to scroll and look at the earlier posts) , but with all these new god characters being named after alcohol beverages, I pretty convinced that the pattern of how they're named is that their power reflects the amount of alcohol present in the beverage they're named after.

Since Beerus apparently is the weakest God of Destruction of the 12 universes (presumably, I still haven't found a reliable source on this, but it fits here) him being named after beer fits this theory, as its alcohol percentage is so low, usually around 3%-12%. Whiskey on the other hand, has a whooping 40%-68%, and pretty much explains Whis' massive power.
Plus the new character Champa, (who's almost without doubt another God of Destruction) fits the idea of other gods being more powerful than Beerus, with champagne being 15% percent alcohol on the average. Now we'll just have to see what his assistant is named after so we can measure things further.

Now of course I have absolutely no clue if this is what Toriyama intended, but I'm just theorizing.