"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:38 am

Chuquita wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:04 am If they do decide to merge stuff from GT and Super, if they do decide to do their own version of the Baby arc, then I want them to find a way to have Vegeta sport a mustache at some point during the movie. Maybe new!Baby-Vegeta grows one. Maybe it's a thing Vegeta himself tries at the beginning of the film; I don't care which one, but if they have to continue recycling stories, recycle the mustache too.
I don't think Toei wants to give the new generation of DB fans nightmares like they did back in the day.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:50 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:38 am
Chuquita wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:04 am If they do decide to merge stuff from GT and Super, if they do decide to do their own version of the Baby arc, then I want them to find a way to have Vegeta sport a mustache at some point during the movie. Maybe new!Baby-Vegeta grows one. Maybe it's a thing Vegeta himself tries at the beginning of the film; I don't care which one, but if they have to continue recycling stories, recycle the mustache too.
I don't think Toei wants to give the new generation of DB fans nightmares like they did back in the day.
It doesn't have to be the same mid-90's mustache--it could be in a more modern style.

Plus they did a gag with the beards in Super so they're not completely averse to facial hair.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:29 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:09 pm Also, what good was Vegetto? Just to say that Zamasu was right and that mortals love to imitate the gods?
Pretty much, because he was right. Literally every new transformation in Super is a Divine form that these ningens learned.

Even if you wanted to include Gogeta, he'd literally be using Super Saiyan Blue.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:12 am He wasn't interested in Broly either. Toriyama's overall role has been to take concepts suggested to him and turn them into full stories, and Baby is a concept with a lot of room (and potential $$$) to work with.
Ok, but as I said, Broly is probably more popular than all things related to GT combined, so it just makes more sense to make him canon.

I even saw a Japanese poll a few years ago where Broly was in the Top 3 most popular Dragon Ball villains, along with Frieza and Goku Black. Both Frieza and Black had a major role in modern DB, so it made sense to include Broly too. That's the reason why they went with Broly instead of any other mysterious Saiyan (like Yamoshi). Popularity alone.

Can you say for certain that Baby is so popular and profitable that Toriyama would go through the lengths of reworking him as a new movie antagonist? Especially when he's associated to GT? I find this pretty hilarious, because some people here are like this:

"Man, I hate Super, it constantly recycles stories, nothing ever changes, there's no creativity!"
"Oh, I know how to fix this, let's recycle a GT villain that we already know everything about! That will surely make the story more gripping!"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 am

Toriyama purposefully chose Broly among many ideas thrown at him because he found a way to make him work. He wasn’t forced. Heck, he even watched tue old Broli movies to make sure he could write a familiar Broly.

This time around, among all the ideas, it’s possible that Toriyama found Baby to be the only one he could use to write a story.

The situation could be similar to Broly where only a few stuff from the original is kept, with everything else being new such as the design, personality, background etcetera. It wouldn’t be a villain we know everything about, though for sure they would keep the concept of him being a Tsufurian/their creation to have revenge over the Saiyans.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:10 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:29 am Can you say for certain that Baby is so popular and profitable that Toriyama would go through the lengths of reworking him as a new movie antagonist ?

"Oh, I know how to fix this, let's recycle a GT villain that we already know everything about! That will surely make the story more gripping!"
I think he's popular enough for it to be within the realm of possibility, whether or not that results in anything remains to be seen.

I'm definitely against all the recycling Modern DB has done, as it's at its absolute best when it's original (Hit and Zamasu being great examples). I personally hope this is all false and the next movie will be an original concept, but I don't know how likely that is with how successful Broly was. At the bare minimum Cooler will become "canon".
emperior wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:16 amThis time around, among all the ideas, it’s possible that Toriyama found Baby to be the only one he could use to write a story.
Baby and Broly both being wronged by the Saiyans can create interesting situations, so I can see why he could potentially be interested in revisiting the concept within the current continuity.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:13 am

"Modern" Dragon Ball thrives on nostalgia so I'm fully expecting Cell, Baby and SSJ4 to show up sooner or later. Heck, Super 17 will probably return as well.

Just look at what Super did:

--Beerus: fairly original for Super standards
--Frieza arc: resurrected old villain
--Universe 6 Tournament arcs: resurrected the old tournament trope
--Trunks arc: brought back future Trunks, used aspects of the Ginyu and evil Goku tropes. Brought back Vegetto as well
--Top: Brought back Roshi, 17 and Freeza. Heck, the "newest" fighters in the team debuted in 1991. That's almost 30 years ago.
Broli movie: Brought back Freeza, Broli and Gogeta.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 am

Jord wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:13 am "Modern" Dragon Ball thrives on nostalgia so I'm fully expecting Cell, Baby and SSJ4 to show up sooner or later. Heck, Super 17 will probably return as well.

--Trunks arc: brought back future Trunks, used aspects of the Ginyu and evil Goku tropes. Brought back Vegetto as well
--Top: Brought back Roshi, 17 and Freeza. Heck, the "newest" fighters in the team debuted in 1991. That's almost 30 years ago.
I doubt there's even 10 people in the world who had nostalgia for the Super 17 arc, so I doubt he'll return.

Also, TV tropes are not nostalgia.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:38 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 am
Jord wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:13 am "Modern" Dragon Ball thrives on nostalgia so I'm fully expecting Cell, Baby and SSJ4 to show up sooner or later. Heck, Super 17 will probably return as well.

I doubt there's even 10 people in the world who had nostalgia for the Super 17 arc, so I doubt he'll return.

I believe that the Super 17 arc could have been handled better, but I still like the design for Super 17, who's been regaining interest due to heroes again. The whole concept of connecting Hell to Earth is certainly interesting.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:24 am

Super 17 could be canonized through having Bulma build 17 a new and improved body and putting his brain in it like what Gero did to himself. He doesn't have to be a villain, he can need it to help fight someone strong alongside Goku and Vegeta.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:01 am

Jord wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:38 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:27 am

I believe that the Super 17 arc could have been handled better, but I still like the design for Super 17, who's been regaining interest due to heroes again. The whole concept of connecting Hell to Earth is certainly interesting.
Then you'll be complaining that they had to retcon how Hell works.

As it stands now, with the way Hell works in Super, the Super 17 arc wouldn't make sense. In the Hell shown in Toei filler (including GT), all villains maintain their bodies and full power in Hell, and are all grouped together in one place. That's not the case in the version of Hell presented by Toriyama, the canon one adopted by Super. The villains all have their own distinct version of Hell. In other words, they are all separated. There cannot be a villainous alliance between two deceased psychos like Gero and Myuu. Likewise, the villains would pose no threat whatsoever even if the veil between Earth and Hell was somehow shattered, because they are all restrained and incapacitated. They are powerless and cannot harm anyone. For example, Frieza in Hell was stuck in a cocoon unable to do anything. Therefore, even if a portal to Earth opened, how would they be able to move and invade the living world?

So if you want this arc to work in Super, then the writers will have to retcon a lot about the Otherworld, in which case I can guarantee you that people will be screaming "OMG RETCON!"

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:23 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:14 pm When the fighting started he was more brainless than Toei's version.
This. I don't get how people can say old Broly was just a savage screaming "Kakarotto" when new Broly is basically the same, except for not screaming Goku's name. Actually, old Broly in movie 8 was still talking in his LSSJ form. He became more dumb in next movie. So yes, new Broly is actually less inteligent than old one.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:12 am The biggest issue I have with bringing back an old concept is that I'm afraid it'll end up like RF and Broly, where despite having some high points, they're still not as good as their original counterparts (in this case the Namek arc and Broly's first Z movie).
Yeah, the "DBS: Baby" movie would probably end with Goku and Baby becoming friends lol. I don't need that. If they want to make something with Baby, better put him into current SDBH events. They did pretty good job with creating U6 counterparts of him. Kamin and Oren were cool except for that silly Pepsiman fusion.
Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:12 am That's what anyone would've said if the idea of a canonized Broly was brought up 5 years ago.
True. I honsetly laughed after seeing leaked poster because i was 100% sure it was a joke. I couldn't believe there is even a 1% chance they will make such dumb decision, especially after Kale already being Broly wannabe. It was too dumb and too lazy even for Super.

About the "leak": While SSJ4 being canonized is possible, entire Broly SSJ4 x Goku fusion sounds too dumb to happen imo. This is something even Heroes doesn't do. But tbh, despite Baby not being as popular as Broly or Cooler, who could've been next reworked villain, he is the only "non canon" villain who has potential to write a good story. They could even use Broly in this one as he is now an ally and as a saiyan he would fit entire story. Bringing back Cooler wouldn't really introduce anything interesting, especially since Frieza is alive so entire "revenge on saiyan who killed my brother" would be pointless.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:51 am

They are never going to bring Cell back, lol.

I also don't think any of the other movie will be canonized. I do think Baby could be reinvented but I would see him as a new character for the most part.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:24 pm

precita wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:51 am They are never going to bring Cell back, lol.

Always be careful what you wish for. :mrgreen:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:42 pm

They'll bring back Cell and turn him into a neutral protagonist like Frieza. That way, at long last, every single major villain of Dragon Ball will have been redeemed or changed in one way or another. Everyone, except for the man who did nothing wrong of course. I'll let you figure out who I'm referring to.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:34 pm

"Toei doesn't have any staff available to work on new projects"

"Slam Dunk revives from the grave and gets a new anime movie*

I once joked that before DBS anime comes back, Toei would do something with Slam Dunk and Toriko and seems like it's going that way. :lol:

At least it's not a long running remake like Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai (even though it may still happen in the future due to the franchise power in Japan).
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:42 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:34 pm "Toei doesn't have any staff available to work on new projects"

"Slam Dunk revives from the grave and gets a new anime movie*

I once joked that before DBS anime comes back, Toei would do something with Slam Dunk and Toriko and seems like it's going that way. :lol:

At least it's not a long running remake like Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai (even though it may still happen in the future due to the franchise power in Japan).
If Dragon Quest is delaying the return of the TV series, this will definitely delay the next movie. Again, DB will eventually receive one or both, but that will take far longer than we'd like due to the franchise's current financial success.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 am

The one and only reason Dragon Ball Super has been delayed is not because of Dragon Quest, nor because of the animators. For me, the responsible is Digimon Adventure 2020. The producer absolutely wanted the 9:00 am Sunday morning time slot because it was his only chance to do it.

Interview source: https://digi-lab.blog/whats-in-tokyo-in ... adventure/

I think that at the base Dragon Ball Super should really resume its time slot in 2020, but now with this interview I understand why it did not happen.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 am

head_cha_la wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 am The one and only reason Dragon Ball Super has been delayed is not because of Dragon Quest, nor because of the animators.
You kind of need animators to make a show as demanding as DB, animators who are taken up by DQ and OP.

head_cha_la
Not-So-Newbie

Post by head_cha_la » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:57 am

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:35 am
head_cha_la wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 am The one and only reason Dragon Ball Super has been delayed is not because of Dragon Quest, nor because of the animators.
You kind of need animators to make a show as demanding as DB, animators who are taken up by DQ and OP.
There will be some. In Dragon Ball Super 2015/2018 there were young animators, there were also independent animators and subcontracted studios.There will surely be those from Digimon Adventure that will be available and that some have already worked on Dragon Ball Super.
Even those working on Dragon Quest and One Piece will be working on the next series, it's just a matter of organization.
Do not believe that the next series Dragon Ball if there is, will have the same quality as the movie Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:30 am

head_cha_la wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:57 am Do not believe that the next series Dragon Ball if there is, will have the same quality as the movie Dragon Ball Super: Broly.
of course not, but it'll be far better than the first super.