"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SirTorra » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 am

Where was this confirmed

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 am

HeroR wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:It's 2 1 hours specials over 2 weeks, I'm not so sure it's a crossover. If it was a crossover I'd think they'd just do a 2 hour special like the most recent One Piece special.
My hope for a TV special come true. I hope it's an adaption of the Jaco manga and maybe Minus (although I far less hopeful on that one).
emperior wrote:The new TV Special has me hyped.
I really hope it will be a Dragon Ball Super special and not a cross-over with OP though I wouldn't complain if it's a cross-over, it's still new DB content.
If it is a Super special, I'm crossing my fingers it will be the U6 tournament re-made as a special, so that I would get my beloved Future Trunks arc remade as a special next.
That would be extremely lame.
I too would like it to be an adaption of Jaco's manga + Minus, it would surely save them some time as they would already have the script and storyboards.

Why do you think the U6 arc being re-made as a TV special would be lame? Doesn't OP technically do the same thing with its TV specials? I think it could be quite interesting if done well, though I agree that there could be better options.
If it's a new special, with the same mood of the DBZ specials, about Future Trunks and his battle with Dabura and first encounters with Black, then that would probably be the best thing for me.
Though I won't keep my hopes up as this will probably just be a cross-over with OP.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:50 am

emperior wrote: Why do you think the U6 arc being re-made as a TV special would be lame? Doesn't OP technically do the same thing with its TV specials? I think it could be quite interesting if done well, though I agree that there could be better options.
If it's a new special, with the same mood of the DBZ specials, about Future Trunks and his battle with Dabura and first encounters with Black, then that would probably be the best thing for me.
Though I won't keep my hopes up as this will probably just be a cross-over with OP.
Why would I want a TV special of a story arc that aired little over a year ago. This isn't like Episode of Nami where they retold a story arc that was over ten years old with the brand new animation style and model design. Not to mention all the retrospect you can put into it.

I wouldn't mind a Future Majin Buu Saga, as long as it didn't copy the Super manga. Have the full anime take on it since all we got were a brief glimpse in Episode 49. The special can end with Black killing Shin after he returns to the World of the Kais, relived that Buu was finally dealt with.

Although I love One Piece, I agree that I hope it isn't a One Piece special. But I wouldn't be shock if it was since this is One Piece's 30th anniversary, so to Toei they're killing one bird with one stone.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 am

HeroR wrote:
emperior wrote: Why do you think the U6 arc being re-made as a TV special would be lame? Doesn't OP technically do the same thing with its TV specials? I think it could be quite interesting if done well, though I agree that there could be better options.
Why would I want a TV special of a story arc that aired little over a year ago. This isn't like Episode of Nami where they retold a story arc that was over ten years old with the brand new animation style and model design. Not to mention all the retrospect you can put into it.

I wouldn't mind a Future Majin Buu Saga, as long as it didn't copy the Super manga. Have the full anime take on it since all we got were a brief glimpse in Episode 49. The special can end with Black killing Shin after he returns to the World of the Kais, relived that Buu was finally dealt with.

Although I love One Piece, I agree that I hope it isn't a One Piece special. But I wouldn't be shock if it was since this is One Piece's 30th anniversary, so to Toei they're killing one bird with one stone.
Isn't OP's 30th anniversary special "Episode of East Blue"? The one coming on August 26th if I'm not wrong.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:05 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
emperior wrote:The new TV Special has me hyped.
I really hope it will be a Dragon Ball Super special and not a cross-over with OP though I wouldn't complain if it's a cross-over, it's still new DB content.
If it is a Super special, I'm crossing my fingers it will be the U6 tournament re-made as a special, so that I would get my beloved Future Trunks arc remade as a special next.
I'd like Trunks' Buu arc turned into a special, use the manga chapter as a basis but make the changes needed to fit it into the anime universe.
Rather not that would be so godamn boring and a waste of time.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:06 am

KuririnNoKotoKa wrote:Where did this idea that a Dragon Ball show of all things is merchandising driven?

The Dragon Ball brand sells itself. Creative decisions that happen in the series are that: creative decisions, be it for the better or worse.
Things like femal Broly and Freeza constantly coming back kind of prove their main goal is to sell merchandise.
precita wrote:I think people are worried about Dragonball turning into the next Simpsons or Pokemon, and becoming a never-ending series that just goes on and on with no real ending in sight.

Dragonball is not that type of show and should end again.
That's most likely what's going to happen. I do believe that Toriyama has an ending in sight, maybe after 2-3 arcs but there's no way Shueshia and everyone else involved are planning an ending. One of the reason they made the Dragon Room was to extended the franchise beyond Toriyama. Of course Toyotarou will most likely have a major hand in things when he's done as well.

Apart from the BOG movie, everything seems very merchandise driven with character development and story taking a back seat so maybe it never should've come back. I say maybe cause I'm not sure, on one hand you've got things like Black that are among the best things to come out of the franchise then you've got recolored Ssj forms, ruining future Trunks & female Broly to name a few that just s*it on everything that made the manga such a great story. Then you've got the anime's messed up production.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 am

emperior wrote: Isn't OP's 30th anniversary special "Episode of East Blue"? The one coming on August 26th if I'm not wrong.
I believe so, but I can see Toei putting their two big money makers together, especially on the anniversary of one of them.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Rather not that would be so godamn boring and a waste of time.
Anything with the possibility of having Goku Black in it will never be boring.
Last edited by HeroR on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:10 am

I really hope this isn't a One Piece crossover. I'd prefer 2 completely different stories with each having its own villain (not SsjB Broly please).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:17 am

sintzu wrote: Apart from the BOG movie, everything seems very merchandise driven with character development and story taking a back seat so maybe it never should've come back. I say maybe cause I'm not sure, on one hand you've got things like Black that are among the best things to come out of the franchise then you've got recolored Ssj forms, ruining future Trunks & female Broly to name a few that just s*it on everything that made the manga such a great story. Then you've got the anime's messed up production.
"Manga such a great story".
Yeah is that why every damn Saiyan got the so called fabled SS? Goku pulling transformations out his ass when plot requires and not to mention gimmicks such a fusion. You're lying to yourself if you think the orginal Manga wasn't "merchandise driven", there is a reason his editors didn't like the idea of #19, 20 or #17 18 after Freeza we can't go back to human villains.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah is that why every damn Saiyan got the so called fabled SS? Goku pulling transformations out his ass when plot requires and not to mention gimmicks such a fusion. You're lying to yourself if you think the orginal Manga wasn't "merchandise driven", there is a reason his editors didn't like the idea of #19, 20 or #17 18 after Freeza we can't go back to human villains.
Everything Toriyama did was because of the story itself. When he introduced Ssjs he did so to save time on his assistant from having to color black hair all the time and because he wanted a new power up. When he introduced Fusions he said he did it to introduce new characters without taking focus away form the established ones. When his former editor said he didn't like the androids he sais he didn't like how they were, not that they wouldn't sell. The manga from start to finish was made to sell a story and if you think otherwise then you either don't know how things work or are just telling yourself that to justify Super's direction.

Like it or not, the franchise's direction and goals are nothing like they were back when the manga was being published, that's just a pure undeniable fact.

KuririnNoKotoKa

Post by KuririnNoKotoKa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 am

Totamo wrote:
KuririnNoKotoKa wrote:Where did this idea that a Dragon Ball show of all things is merchandising driven?

Are people genuinely forgetting that this franchise lived of merch and games for for 16 years, even through Kai which was proven to bring merch sales down? Toy manufacturers in Japan have been doing literal palette swaps of figures well before the revived material was even a spec of an idea in anyone's eyes and it still sold like hotcakes.

The Dragon Ball brand sells itself. Creative decisions that happen in the series are that: creative decisions, be it for the better or worse.
Because GT was killed for that exact reason.
Context.

Dragon Ball GT came at the tail end of a 12 year run of the original series after 519 chapters, 16 movies, 444 episodes, 2 TV Specials, and only god knows how much merch and supplementary material.

Beyond it's mediocrity and lack of Toriyama's imprint in it's identity, GT failed because people were just plain old sick and tired of Dragon Ball.

This is clearly not the case with Dragon Ball Super, at least as of now.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:26 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Yeah is that why every damn Saiyan got the so called fabled SS? Goku pulling transformations out his ass when plot requires and not to mention gimmicks such a fusion. You're lying to yourself if you think the orginal Manga wasn't "merchandise driven", there is a reason his editors didn't like the idea of #19, 20 or #17 18 after Freeza we can't go back to human villains.
Everything Toriyama did was because of the story itself. When he introduced Ssjs he did so to save time on his assistant from having to color black hair all the time and because he wanted a new power up. When he introduced Fusions he said he did it to introduce new characters without taking focus away form the established ones. When his former editor said he didn't like the androids he sais he didn't like how they were, not that they wouldn't sell. The manga from start to finish was made to sell a story and if you think otherwise then you either don't know how things work or are just telling yourself that to justify Super's direction.

Like it or not, the franchise's direction and goals are nothing like they were back when the manga was being published, that's just a pure undeniable fact.
I'm sorry but I'm calling BS on that it's painfully obvious from Andriod arc onwards that everything was made to drag with transformations and forms. The Android arc should have ended before it started and they should killed Gero, the entire arc hinged on writing the MCs except Bulma as stupid idiots. Then the Buu arc with Toriyama telling us at every opportunity oh it could have ended here but it didn't cuz reasons. After the Freeza arc there was a MASSIVE drop off in quality. What was so important in story of Goten and Trunks getting SS? Absolutely nothing.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32 am

HeroR wrote:
That would be tragically hilarious, though it would also contradict the anime. Shin dies before Back appears and Trunks knows this, unless he makes weekly visits to the land of the Kais.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 am

Hopefully this special dosen't suck too much..
No expectations, just don't be a total waste of time
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:53 am

A one hour special could be fun. Hopefully it's something relevant to the plot like the History of Trunks and not just a One Piece crossover. Either way we'll know soon enough!

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 am

Any sources or links???

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:03 am

SirTorra wrote:Where was this confirmed
hardcorefakes wrote:Any sources or links???
This. A source to the TV special claim would be great.
Edit: nevermind, hang on
Yoinked this from an anon on /a/.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:07 am

Alruneia wrote:
SirTorra wrote:Where was this confirmed
hardcorefakes wrote:Any sources or links???
This. A source to the TV special claim would be great.
Edit: nevermind, hang on
ImageImage
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017