"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:36 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Uh, I made that gif, it's not edited. The trailer ripped from the official website is literally on the front page of Kanzenshuu, and the scene is exactly the same there as it is in the gif.

It's just bad animation.
But "Super high-quality gorgeous visuals!" they said.... :lol: can't help but laugh. Difference between this and the new "F" trailer is night and day.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:Uh, I made that gif, it's not edited. The trailer ripped from the official website is literally on the front page of Kanzenshuu, and the scene is exactly the same there as it is in the gif.

It's just bad animation.
But "Super high-quality gorgeous visuals!" they said.... :lol: can't help but laugh. Difference between this and the new "F" trailer is night and day.
C'mon it aint that bad.... I mean at least its better than world trigger and some other TOEI made stuffs.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:41 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

It's just bad animation.
C'mon it aint that bad.... I mean at least its better than world trigger and some other TOEI made stuffs.
No it's pretty bad. Beerus looks..Photoshop into the animation or he's watching TV. Just awful :sick: .

@Marco Polo Beerus is blocking not punching.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:49 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

It's just bad animation.
Yeah compared to other TOEI shows for sure it is not that bad, and having seen "F" and that promise it is disappointing, I know "F" is a movie and this is a TV series, but still it shows TOEI is capable of pulling something off if they put effort in it.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't know, I remember DBZ having some pretty crappy animation and even artwork. The problem with that scene is Beerus isn't moving his body and there supposed to be flying. But like I said DBZ Had some pretty crappy animation, besides RoF had a year to prepare this time they had even less time.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Speaking of all this retelling business, what they should do if they reach EoZ in a 2nd season is retell that EoZ portion from Uub's perspective. First episode involving his village's awareness of his talent, and sending him off to the World Tournament. Second episode, his experience riding a plane for the first time, visiting a city, entering the preliminaries of the tournament, and some Z fighter antics in the background. Third episode, his meeting with Goku, and his return to his village with him. Fourth episode, a small time skip involving his new life and integration into the lives of the other cast, including his training with Goku, interactions with Goten and Trunks in his new school, and studies under Gohan.

I'd love this before they transition into whatever main plot they want.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:00 pm

It's just bad animation. He's meant to be punching with one hand, and what you're looking at is an animator's terrible sense of perspective.

They seem to be moving slower in your GIF then in the actual trailer.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Retan wrote:I don't know, I remember DBZ having some pretty crappy animation and even artwork. The problem with that scene is Beerus isn't moving his body and there supposed to be flying. But like I said DBZ Had some pretty crappy animation, besides RoF had a year to prepare this time they had even less time.
Um, that was 1989. This is 2015. It's been 25+ years since then. We should be able to expect them to step up their game. It's sad when certain animation from the old series from the early 90s is better than brand new animation from this year.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:04 pm

I thought people were used to animation sucking in anime by now.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:06 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Retan wrote:I don't know, I remember DBZ having some pretty crappy animation and even artwork. The problem with that scene is Beerus isn't moving his body and there supposed to be flying. But like I said DBZ Had some pretty crappy animation, besides RoF had a year to prepare this time they had even less time.
Um, that was 1989. This is 2015. It's been 25+ years since then. We should be able to expect them to step up their game. It's sad when certain animation from the old series from the early 90s is better than brand new animation from this year.

Um, Who cares if it was 1989 I saw a lot of things animated better then what I saw in in DBZ and I see a lot things animated worse today. For instance Pinnochio is still the best animated movie I've seen, and that was made in the 40's.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:10 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Yes exactly, not to mention we have had so many other anime look great on tv by other companies is it a crime we shouldn't we expect the same from TOEI for a new DB series? Also, it is TOEI's own damn fault for having less time to prepare, why announce a new show when you aren't even ready? And saying stuff like super high quality gorgeous visuals does not help at all.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Yes exactly, not to mention we have had so many other anime look great on tv by other companies is it a crime we shouldn't we expect the same from TOEI for a new DB series? Also, it is TOEI's own damn fault for having less time to prepare, why announce a new show when you aren't even ready? And saying stuff like super high quality gorgeous visuals does not help at all.

What exactly been well animated by toei animation that gave you that idea?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Speaking of all this retelling business, what they should do if they reach EoZ in a 2nd season is retell that EoZ portion from Uub's perspective. First episode involving his village's awareness of his talent, and sending him off to the World Tournament. Second episode, his experience riding a plane for the first time, visiting a city, entering the preliminaries of the tournament, and some Z fighter antics in the background. Third episode, his meeting with Goku, and his return to his village with him. Fourth episode, a small time skip involving his new life and integration into the lives of the other cast, including his training with Goku, interactions with Goten and Trunks in his new school, and studies under Gohan.

I'd love this before they transition into whatever main plot they want.
I doubt they're gonna touch EoZ, let alone go over it in Oob's perspective.

Hey, there's always fanfiction

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:19 pm

The bad animation is the price to pay for having a tv series. Movies/Specials will always be better, at least from Toei.
Its not that bad. Beerus looks copyxpaste in that scece because the alien guy aura is making him stand out.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Doctor. wrote: I doubt they're gonna touch EoZ, let alone go over it in Oob's perspective.

It would be essential in order to develop the character. Otherwise, there's no point in him or anything after EoZ, really.

But yeah, I doubt they'll ever touch EoZ. Maybe it's for the better.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:23 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:The bad animation is the price to pay for having a tv series. Movies/Special will always be better, at least from Toei.
Its not that bad.

I agree with this
I think it's only fair to compare it to other long running series done by toei animation. Such as one piece (Which I never watch :lol: ) does One piece always have the best animation?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:24 pm

Retan wrote: I agree with this
I think it's only fair to compare it to other long running series done by toei animation. Such as one piece (Which I never watch :lol: ) does One piece always have the best animation?
Nop. Some episode are poop. The anime already saw better days.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Bullza wrote:I thought people were used to animation sucking in anime by now.
Cowboy Bebop, FMA: Brotherhood, etc....
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:28 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: I doubt they're gonna touch EoZ, let alone go over it in Oob's perspective.

It would be essential in order to develop the character. Otherwise, there's no point in him or anything after EoZ, really.

But yeah, I doubt they'll ever touch EoZ. Maybe it's for the better.
I wouldn't say essential. They didn't go through Gohan's childhood and he turned out... a real mess. But he didnt turn out a mess because they didnt go over his childhood.

But his training is important and shouldn't be skipped like GT, however.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Toei are more than capable of producing solidly animated shows, they just require adequate planning and staff. Even World Trigger, a show that has some truly awful looking animation, manages to get some great looking action scenes. I just hope Super is popular enough to become Toei's new baby in place of PreCure. That show gets some stunning work! It's far more consistent than any other Toei show I've seen, but even that has some bad moments.

We're probably going to go the route of One Piece, though. Some episodes will look just terrible, while the bigger moments will be respected with some decent animation. It's what I expected, and I'm pretty content with that.

It's going to be a mixed bag just like the last three series were. The jump to digital colouring and post processing doesn't alter the actual animation process established since the dawn of time. The same animators drawing on paper back then are still the basis of your shows nowadays. Again, it all requires adequate time and a talented pool of animators. There's no magic button that popped up in the past few years that turns garbage animation into gold.
Bullza wrote:I thought people were used to animation sucking in anime by now.
This makes absolutely zero sense. Anime is an all encompassing term for hundreds of thousands of works, all varying in animation quality. You can get cuts that are as fluid as any western cartoon, action as intense as can be, and scenery that is unlike anything usually found in animated media.

It varies from show to show, so there's nothing to get used to. You can certainly guess a level of quality based on a few factors; history of the studio, time between announcement and the air date, and the amount of promotional material, for example, but that's still not indicative of the quality of an entire form of media. I have no idea why you would even think that way.

Garden of Words, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Osu, Hibike! Euphonium, and so many more are just a few examples of anime that are consistently beautiful, and all made in the past few years. There's plenty of stinkers out there, but let's not throw utterly absurd comments around.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.