"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by YamiGoku » Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:39 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:22 pm What does web series mean? 10 minutes long like Heroes? :eh:
Is it going to be a comedy spinoff like say, Isekai Quartet?
It seems the Web series is going to be weekly episodes of <23 min each, It's also not a DBS continuation.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:13 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:39 pm
Xeogran wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:22 pm What does web series mean? 10 minutes long like Heroes? :eh:
Is it going to be a comedy spinoff like say, Isekai Quartet?
It seems the Web series is going to be weekly episodes of <23 min each, It's also not a DBS continuation.
I wonder what it will be about then?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:19 pm

If true, a web series is a surprise. Hopefully a good one and with higher quality than heroes.
I was only expecting the inevitable return of the DBS anime and the next movie that they already confirmed.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:39 pm

This is becoming a reality, lol.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:03 pm

I hope it's not a Yamamuro series but I welcome a series led by creators bot following Toriyama ideas.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:14 pm

Hmmm… that 2023 calendar that leaked was specifically talking about TV animation. So there’s still a chance that the DBS anime will return next year, despite this web series news.

I got no clue on what this web series could possibly be about. Whatever it is, I hope it’s silly as fuck.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:39 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:43 pm Ajay's tweet:
Web series in 2023, yes. Currently in pre-production. Nothing animated yet.

TV series later. Zero production yet.
Didn't the original tweet from Dragon Ball Hype say that new DBS episodes are currently in production? Now there's zero production yet?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:44 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:14 pmI got no clue on what this web series could possibly be about. Whatever it is, I hope it’s silly as fuck.
Maybe the web series will be a Dragon Ball reboot and the TV anime will be Super 2.0? It would make a lot of sense because TOEI like doing retellings and it would avoid the potential confusion if kids watched both series on Fuji TV.

Either way I'm always down for more Dragon Ball content, so this is great news for me :D .
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:01 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:39 pm Didn't the original tweet from Dragon Ball Hype say that new DBS episodes are currently in production? Now there's zero production yet?
Apparently they mistaked it with this web series... But that's just another reason for people don't believe on anything until it's official confirmed.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:44 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:14 pmI got no clue on what this web series could possibly be about. Whatever it is, I hope it’s silly as fuck.
Maybe the web series will be a Dragon Ball reboot and the TV anime will be Super 2.0? It would make a lot of sense because TOEI like doing retellings and it would avoid the potential confusion if kids watched both series on Fuji TV.

Either way I'm always down for more Dragon Ball content, so this is great news for me :D .
Reboot for an 18+ crowd? 👀
She/Her
bisexual milf

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:21 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:01 pm
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:39 pm Didn't the original tweet from Dragon Ball Hype say that new DBS episodes are currently in production? Now there's zero production yet?
Apparently they mistaked it with this web series... But that's just another reason for people don't believe on anything until it's official confirmed.
Oh great, so new DBS anime episodes actually aren't in production. Damn.

Now either it will be a LONG time before new episodes come out, or the animation and writing will suffer from time constraints like the first season of DBS.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:39 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:14 pm Hmmm… that 2023 calendar that leaked was specifically talking about TV animation. So there’s still a chance that the DBS anime will return next year, despite this web series news.

I got no clue on what this web series could possibly be about. Whatever it is, I hope it’s silly as fuck.

What if the web series is DB super and TV is DB redo from the start?

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:39 pm

I think that Toei won't gain much from a Dragon Ball reboot since they won't be able to sell enough figures and merchandise with the old DB characters. They need new characters and new transformations for that.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:05 am

Web-series: CGI animation, Super Hero style;

Anime: traditional animation, Shintani style;

That would be pretty kickass and would keep the teams separate, without necessarily sacrificing quality.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:24 am

jjbgood wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:49 am A Kai version of the original Dragon Ball Series would be a dream come true, but that will never happen....
I was actually thinking something similar.

Mark my words, the web series will be Dragon Ball Kai Shonen-hen.

(If this actually happens and we consequently get a for real redub of the original Dragon Ball story with a decent script and Colleen Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku my visceral scream of happiness will be so loud it'll deafen half the Eastern seaboard.)
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:30 am

I know it's unlikely but I hope it's an anime adaptation of Toriyama's other DB stories like Neko Majin and Jaco the Patrolman. Maybe Sandland could be revealed to be a prequel to DB and Lucifer is Dabura's twin brother :).

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:03 pm

One Piece Series Director Kureta Kouhei is no longer credited as a series director, with Episode #1030 being their final episode as one of the current series directors (One Piece has been using three series directors at a time since Episode #892, with Koyama Yasunori having replaced Kureta). This makes me wonder if Kureta was asked to lead a Dragon Ball series. Kureta was previously the enshutsu (unit director) of Movie #19: Fukkatsu no F. Kureta's last episode credited as either an episode director or storyboard artist was as one of the two episode directors of Episode #1017 (2022.05.15).

If you're curious about what Kureta's recent work as a storyboard artist and director is I suggest watching the following episode of One Piece (although I doubt they'll be indicative of the quality if they're indeed leading a Dragon Ball project next):

2019.07.14 Episode #0893: SB, ED
2019.10.20 Episode #907: SB, ED
2020.04.19 Episode #0929: SB (ED: 暮田公平)
2020.09.20 Episode #0942: SB, ED
2020.12.13 Episode #0954: SB, ED
2021.06.13 Episode #0978: SB, ED
2021.08.29 Episode #0989: SB, ED
2021.11.21 Episode #1000: ED (SB: 小牧文)
2022.02.13 Episode #1010: SB, ED
2022.05.15 Episode #1017: ED: 暮田公平 (A-Part?), 道端菜名実 (B-Part?); (SB: 伊藤聡伺, 長峯達也, Henry Thurlow, 道端菜名実, 石塚勝海)

Well, who knows. This is just wild speculation on my part. Kureta could just be going off to enjoy life outside of the torture that is the Japanese animation industry.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:59 pm

I wish Tatsuya Nagamine could come back to the series. You could tell he couldn’t bring Super to its fullest potential when he jumped on during the Universe Survival arc due to the production schedule. But you really saw what he was capable of with the Broly film. What he’s done for One Piece with the Wano arc is incredible for a weekly anime series.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:00 am

Saiko Devin, who I suspect to have the same source of info as Ajay (I think it's the french animator Sanda who is currently working on Dai) has clearly hinted that Ryota Nakamura will be the director of the web series.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:02 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:00 am Saiko Devin, who I suspect to have the same source of info as Ajay (I think it's the french animator Sanda who is currently working on Dai) has clearly hinted that Ryota Nakamura will be the director of the web series.
That's good news. I hope the production schedule is lengthy and fruitful.
She/Her
bisexual milf