"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:13 pm

BagetaSama wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:48 pm The idea that they would want more manga content to adapt and they're waiting for that reason, is very odd because DBS has never been a manga adaptation. That's why the two continuities are so different and the anime was able to complete major story arcs before the manga could. So making it into a strict manga adaptation would be a very major change from the first iteration/season of DBS, and one that I think a lot of people wouldn't really welcome.

I mean if they change things around as they did before, then it wouldn't really be a manga adaptation like every other anime is. At least, they might use it as some sort of another reference, like they did before at some point, then that's entirely different, than relying on the manga being ahead so that they can adapt it. I don't know, I don't know if I buy that rumor just because it feels like such a big change, But I'm also just heavily biased towards the anime version of the events.
Respectfully, I think you're off the mark on the top points. I'd argue the majority of Dragon Ball Super's TV viewership have either A) barely engaged with the manga, B) don't even know it exists, or C) have either read or been made aware of the Moro and Granolah arcs and want a full anime adaptation of them. The number of people like yourself who actively don't want the anime to adapt them is probably very low... and chances are high that their complaints would pipe down once the anime gets going (ASOIAF fans moaned about HBO's House of the Dragon, but since it came out, the show is all they've been talking about). In particular, there are plenty of fan animated mockups of scenes from the Moro arc which, despite some backlash from some areas of the fandom (namely here, let's be honest), was actually widely beloved by most fans, as proven by many polls and reviews.

For the record, I do agree that doing a straight manga adaptation now would be a bit weird and probably wouldn't mesh well with the direction of the original anime arcs. Then again, Toyotaro seemed to be consciously emulating aspects of the anime in his own arcs as if he was trying to streamline things, e.g. he started drawing Goku's Ultra Instinct forms much more muscularly than he did previously, bringing them in line with the anime. While it wouldn't be very sensible considering that there's perfectly good manga source material sitting on the shelf waiting to be used, there is a possibility that the animated version could do something totally different and ignore Toyotaro's arcs.

StevenPiccolo

Post by StevenPiccolo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:43 pm

Shintani, Kubota and Toriyama allegedly working on the web anime, and Kubota confirmed by Ajay. Now I'm wondering what the hell the other animated series could be about if this is all true.
S.W.A.G. = Something We sAiyans Got

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:49 pm

StevenPiccolo wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:43 pm Shintani, Kubota and Toriyama allegedly working on the web anime, and Kubota confirmed by Ajay. Now I'm wondering what the hell the other animated series could be about if this is all true.
Now that right there is a Holy Trinity that I could believe in
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:26 pm

I am happy to see Kubota working on this new project! I don't know what it could be if it's not a retelling of the 1984 comic. If it's also not an adaption of the Moro arc then I have to wonder if it is somehow a new storyline from Toriyama?

Hell, maybe we'll get a curveball and it's some sort of adaption of the FighterZ game?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 pm

…Who the hell is gonna be working on the TV anime then? :lol:

I still have no clue on what they’re planning. Now that Toriyama is possibly involved in the web series I am a lot more intrigued.

A part of me is thinking that one of these projects will be CG like Super Hero and the other will be traditionally hand-drawn animation.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:08 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 pm …Who the hell is gonna be working on the TV anime then? :lol:

I still have no clue on what they’re planning. Now that Toriyama is possibly involved in the web series I am a lot more intrigued.

A part of me is thinking that one of these projects will be CG like Super Hero and the other will be traditionally hand-drawn animation.
Toei (really, nobody) wouldn't have the resources to produce a weekly CG series, so that's not happening.

To the best of my knowledge we don't even know what shape these productions are taking. Even if the web series is thirteen half-hour episodes it isn't like any character and prop designs can't just be reused for the next TV series.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:54 am

Being honest, this sounds too good to be true. I mean, not only the creator of the source material being involved, but also two of the artists that provided much needed freshness in Dragon Ball?

Maybe I'm just being too much of a pessimist here, but this almost feel more like a dream fan combo right here. Hopefully I'm wrong in this one, but I'd wager Yamumoro being more likely to return to the Super anime. I mean, he has SDBH after all. Though maybe that one actually would make him too busy for Super, so who knows?

Fun to think and speculate about, in spite of it. Regardless, I'll be waiting until an official source confirms any involvement from them or other staff. And I'd certainly be glad I was wrong in my assumptions if true.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:33 am

Wrigglything wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:54 am Being honest, this sounds too good to be true. I mean, not only the creator of the source material being involved, but also two of the artists that provided much needed freshness in Dragon Ball?

Maybe I'm just being too much of a pessimist here, but this almost feel more like a dream fan combo right here. Hopefully I'm wrong in this one, but I'd wager Yamumoro being more likely to return to the Super anime. I mean, he has SDBH after all. Though maybe that one actually would make him too busy for Super, so who knows?

Fun to think and speculate about, in spite of it. Regardless, I'll be waiting until an official source confirms any involvement from them or other staff. And I'd certainly be glad I was wrong in my assumptions if true.
It's not that surprising that a series would get a good character designer and animator like Shintani and Kubota.

Yamamuro is too busy with SDBH to also work on a new series. Furthermore, he was specifically barred from working on Movie #20 if memory serves. Shintani is their character designer for the time being.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:01 pm

I wonder how long the web anime could last. A trend I've seen in recent years is that ONA's can last for dozens of episodes with the same kind of runtime as an anime.

As for the TV anime, yeah, I don't know what the deal with that will be. Perhaps that will pick up from where the web anime ends or maybe even air simultaneously with the TV anime.

I wonder if the web anime is what the Dragon Ball room was working on when the plans for a TV anime in 2019 seemed to collapse.

StevenPiccolo

Post by StevenPiccolo » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:24 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:33 amIt's not that surprising that a series would get a good character designer and animator like Shintani and Kubota.

Yamamuro is too busy with SDBH to also work on a new series. Furthermore, he was specifically barred from working on Movie #20 if memory serves. Shintani is their character designer for the time being.
Where was it said that Yamamuro was specifically barred? Sorry, it's not that I don't believe you, I'm just extremely curious about this situation and would like to know more.
S.W.A.G. = Something We sAiyans Got

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:29 pm

a "Pokemon Chronicles" type series about characters from all the different universes seems to be on the table now! =O
Each character would have a mini arc of 2-4 episodes depending on their story complexity. DBS is all about the multiverse concept, and they should know how popular these characters were during ToP.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:41 pm

Everyone still hell bent on Shintani handling a Super sequel series is to me just a fan's wet dream.
It's like the let Filoni and Favreau in charge of Star Wars movement.

When DBS Hype is reporting, well, he was right many times before, so now I expect some announcement about something.
But still, even bulletproof guys like AnimeAjay got burnt before and I am taking everything now with a barrel of salt
and not getting excited for twitter shouts and alleged rumors.

I am afraid about TOEI going original on Dragon Ball sequel. I hate their originals. Either let the legendary series be a thing we remember fondly from the past, instead of making a disorganized mess for quick cash grabs that will bring in few fans and let the old fans with bitter taste in their mouths, or ADAPT the original author's stories, in this case the DBS manga and expand on them.
I won't lie that I have enoyed the intermission arcs in Super inbetween the main stories, except for the weird gello Vegeta imposter thing.

The original Saint Seiya series wasn't great to begin with, the first 20+ episodes are riddled with weird choices, changes and filler, Gold Saints and Poseidon arcs are steady and the late adaptation of Hades finale was a redeeming point... but instead of adapting the sequel, Next Dimension, we get lot of bull from TOEI in form of weird and uninspired stories.
And I always bring in SS as it is my second favorite show, that had lot of concepts that Dragon Ball utilized later as well, was simmilar with popularity and production and is a testament of everything wrong with TOEI.

We all remember Dragon Ball GT. While far from disaster, I would suggest to move away from that and utilize the original author as much as they can and as much as he is willing to.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:59 pm

Shintani Naohiro being the character designer of a Dragon Ball animated series is hardly a wet dream. The legendary Nishio Tetsuya and Suzuki Hirofumi have been the main character designers for NARUTO since 2002 and even though they rarely personally work on the series as animation supervisors or key animators (they work on other projects) they're still involved on some level. Shintani doesn't necessarily need to be a hands-on character designer. Hell, Kubota Chikashi is the character designer for One-Punch Man and he hasn't actually touched the series since season one, electing instead to work on Dragon Ball. With One-Punch Man likely using Kubota as the character designer for Season 3 and Kubota choosing to work on Dragon Ball, too, it's likely going to be another situation. We're past the days of the first three Dragon Ball animated series where the character designers would regularly work on the series as animation supervisors and that's fine.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:56 pm

So far, we know that some web series is coming up and Shintani is reportedly linked to it.
I wonder if it will be some spin off OAV or rather, more promotional material.
No Dragon Ball program during Jump Festa 23.

Seems to me like a big TV return is off the charts so far and we might get limited series though streaming if all the rumors are true.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:35 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:56 pm So far, we know that some web series is coming up and Shintani is reportedly linked to it.
I wonder if it will be some spin off OAV or rather, more promotional material.
No Dragon Ball program during Jump Festa 23.

Seems to me like a big TV return is off the charts so far and we might get limited series though streaming if all the rumors are true.
Shintani, Kubota and obviously Toriyama are involved in the new series. And they're not going to bring the big names for something insignificant. So let's wait and see, but as far as we know, it's something weekly, and it's the same length as any other anime. For me, it's something big.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:25 am

We’re getting some kind of announcement tomorrow. The official DB twitter account posted a photo of the Red Ribbon Army logo talking about a revival of the army. Same premise as the Super Hero movie.

It could just relate to the home release of the movie, but there isn’t anything left to reveal about that. Would be strange to tease an announcement for a home release that we already know is coming.

It could also be referring to the upcoming manga arc, but again, we already know from V Jump that it’s going to be a Super Hero adaptation with Trunks and Goten playing bigger roles.

Maybe this is the web series we’ve been hearing about and it’s a hand-drawn adaptation of the movie?

I honestly have no clue. :lol:

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 am

And then the announcement is just that the Super Hero movie is gonna air on Japanese TV
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 am

FighterZ anime some people are speculating

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:23 am

It better be the continuation of the TV series
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:32 am

Bardock God of Time wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:17 am FighterZ anime some people are speculating
Toriyama is involved. Would make no sense.