"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:46 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:21 pmOne of the main aspects that created hype in the first half of Super was that basically nobody knew what was going to happen, as the manga was leaping behind. If the movie is planned let's say in summer 2021, when are they going to bring the animated version of Moro arc?
I don't think knowing about the manga will hurt the anime as countless anime (including DB/Z) are based off manga, yet are still very successful.

True, but the anime has established itself as the main product of the DB-franchise, the thing that creates the most hype.
How you are suggesting, if the manga would become the main product again, it's good for consistency.
I'm not yet too sure of Toyotaro, although he's a great artist when it comes to drawing, becoming the lead writer for the future anime series as well. The writing cannot be mediocre because of peoples massive expectations worldwide, it has to be top notch. Toriyama however is no option for the long-term future. They may be waiting on him now, but it's not the right mentality in my opinion. He will be 70 within 5 years and is rather inconsistent in his commitment already. Which is normal, i would be thinking about pension as well at that age.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:56 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 pm God, I hope it's not about waiting for Toyo-tarou. If the producers would pull their heads out of their asses and trust their directors and writers they would easily producer better content than Toyo-tarou.
Out of curiosity, do you like the current arc in the Super manga?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:53 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 pm God, I hope it's not about waiting for Toyo-tarou. If the producers would pull their heads out of their asses and trust their directors and writers they would easily producer better content than Toyo-tarou.
I never even considered that, and it makes so much sense. If the anime is being halted because of Toyotaro then Toei should have just said so.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:56 pm
I like the Vegeta storyline and I like powers that Moro has but otherwise I feel like the arc is too repetitive and moves clunkily. I'm going to be really disappointed if the ending doesn't have a curve ball ending to break the formulaic string so far.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:10 pm
Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:56 pm
I like the Vegeta storyline and I like powers that Moro has but otherwise I feel like the arc is too repetitive and moves clunkily. I'm going to be really disappointed if the ending doesn't have a curve ball ending to break the formulaic string so far.
I think so far the arc has been pretty good. But I do think it has been paced pretty poorly and Moro has zero personality. Also, if you're hoping for a unique ending, you're going to be shit out of luck. The story has pretty much flat out told you that Goku is going to use Ultra Instinct and Vegeta is going to use his Spirit Contol powers to defeat Moro.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:19 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:55 pmHow you are suggesting, if the manga would become the main product again, it's good for consistency.
If the manga becomes the main product then everyone involved will have a clear direction on where things are going. They won't just have an outline full of gaps each writer needs to fill, they will have a complete story. IF they decide to wait for the manga to adapt its arcs, this will result in Super (hopefully) becoming a seasonal anime, which will result in better production value and consistent writing.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:54 am

Sykin wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:35 pm Given Geekdom's new information regarding the creative shift allegedly going down behind the scenes, I actually wouldn't be surprised if I was right in my earlier post when I speculated that maybe they're waiting for the manga to do it's thing so they can adapt it later. It actually makes a good bit of sense.
And what does this information say? That Toyotaro's gonna be the main man and his ideas are gonna be adapted?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:54 amAnd what does this information say? That Toyotaro's gonna be the main man and his ideas are gonna be adapted?
It seems like he's being set up for that role.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:55 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:49 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:54 amAnd what does this information say? That Toyotaro's gonna be the main man and his ideas are gonna be adapted?
While still going at one chapter a month?

Edit: watched the video. Yeah, seems like, but also Toei is halting everything because Toriyama hasn't submitted anything yet, Geekdom says? Also he expects that the db room and toyo takes over but that's just speculation.
Last edited by sangofe on Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:55 am
That could always change, but as of now, yes. With that said, he's putting out nearly the same amount of pages Toriyama put out each month.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:22 am

At least the anime being an adaptation of the manga would make Super a consistent product across both mediums. I would be fine with it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:43 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:59 am
sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:55 am

That could always change, but as of now, yes. With that said, he's putting out nearly the same amount of pages Toriyama put out each month.
Really, is he? How many is he doing and how many did Toriyama do?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:18 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:43 amReally, is he? How many is he doing and how many did Toriyama do?
I think Toriyama put out 12-13 pages a week, which brings the total to 48-52 a month. Toyotaro puts out 45-47 a month.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:54 am
Sykin wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:35 pm Given Geekdom's new information regarding the creative shift allegedly going down behind the scenes, I actually wouldn't be surprised if I was right in my earlier post when I speculated that maybe they're waiting for the manga to do it's thing so they can adapt it later. It actually makes a good bit of sense.
And what does this information say? That Toyotaro's gonna be the main man and his ideas are gonna be adapted?

The Geekdom-vid appearently says TOEI hasn't gotten any new scripts from Toriyama, and basically therefore they have chosen to invest in other anime like DQ, Digimin for the time being, because they didn't want to take the risk of going solo without him.
It could be understandable they aren't taking any risks, because TOEI and Bandai are making enough money for the moment without doing much for it.
Now i am just wondering ... If they are literary going to adapt the manga, which Toriyama can just check before it has been released, why hasn't it gotten the green light yet by the man himself? I mean, it has been running for 14 chapters for over a year now.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:40 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am

The Geekdom-vid appearently says TOEI hasn't gotten any new scripts from Toriyama, and basically therefore they have chosen to invest in other anime like DQ, Digimin for the time being, because they didn't want to take the risk of going solo without him.
It could be understandable they aren't taking any risks, because TOEI and Bandai are making enough money for the moment without doing much for it.
Now i am just wondering ... If they are literary going to adapt the manga, which Toriyama can just check before it has been released, why hasn't it gotten the green light yet by the man himself? I mean, it has been running for 14 chapters for over a year now.
That's about what, 7 episodes for decent pace? They'd catch up in no time.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:51 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:40 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am

That's about what, 7 episodes for decent pace? They'd catch up in no time.

If they'd shift to a seasonal anime-format and do a 24-episode first run to adapt the manga, April 2020 would have a been a perfect date to start the first season and bring the first arc. IF that was okay for Toriyama.

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am

TOEI won't do seasonal anime for any of their series. You gotta stop with this

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 am Now i am just wondering ... If they are literary going to adapt the manga, which Toriyama can just check before it has been released, why hasn't it gotten the green light yet by the man himself? I mean, it has been running for 14 chapters for over a year now.
It seems like there's some conflict going on regarding the franchise's future as Super 2.0 has been getting green lit, put on hold, green lit again.
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am TOEI won't do seasonal anime for any of their series. You gotta stop with this
Kitaro and Digimon are seasonal.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 am

Toei would rather do a weekly adaptation of the manga, like they did for DB and DBZ and like they still do for One Piece.
But the problem would be that they are afraid of doing their own filler content too. And Toriyama wouldn’t want to check their filler stuff.

With time things are changing and the highly successful animes based on mangas, nowadays, are all seasonal ones.
If they are going to adapt Moro, surely they will try to extend it a bit but it will be through longer fighting and interesting filler (ex. Training of Goku, Vegeta and Dragon Team before Moro attacks Earth), surely not with Fake Namek type of shit.
Maybe they could even stretch the arc to be 39 episodes long, or around 1 episode per chapter. Or maybe they are waiting for the manga to be well ahead so that they can begin adapting it at a reasonable pace and have the anime run weekly for a long time.

But, honestly, the only thing we know about the future of the anime is that there will be a movie. And it will be 100% written by Toriyama, which is why Toei haven’t already done one themselves. In that case, Moro will most likely be skipped and at best adapted in the future after the movie has aired.

Heck, Toriyama may have already written it by now and we could get some news pretty soon, like around late February, with a release scheduled for Autumn.
I can honestly see Toyotaro dragging Moro until around November/December, then the movie airs and he goes back to write a new arc set after the movie.

The manga schedule could be, roughly:
- February: Earth warriors defeat Moro’s henchmen, Moro starts to fight;
- March: Moro vs Earth warriors 1
- April: Moro vs Earth warriors 2, Goku arrives
- May: Goku vs Moro
- June: Goku vs Moro 2, Vegeta arrives
- July: Vegeta vs Moro
- August: Vegeta vs Moro 2
- September: Final fight
- October: Moro killed
- November: Aftermath
- December: Movie airs, new arc starts in the manga

Of course it won’t be like this and there will most likely be many twists and unexpected events happening (hopefully Toriyama wrote something for the finale) but it should give the idea that the arc can be dragged on until then. And considering how it has been paced thus far, I could see it lasting that much.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:49 am

Matches Malone wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 am
MeMeDZEHH wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am TOEI won't do seasonal anime for any of their series. You gotta stop with this
Kitaro and Digimon are seasonal.
Absolutely not