"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:40 pm

Greninja22 wrote:what the hell what are you talking about? they did not flop at all they did very well, but nothing compared to recent movies.
Nah they did poor even compared to the pre Strong World movies. Movies 8 and 9 which were the retellings failed to even break ¥1 billion. They were even outgrossed by the Naruto movies on those years.

That's why after two duds in a row they got Oda heavily involved for Strong World to try and give them new life.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:55 am

Ajay wrote:Yamamuro's character sheets for Goku Black were shown at Toei's booth at Anime Expo. The text next to Black's earring reads "Potara" (ポタラ). I believe this is the first confirmation of what exactly it is.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Unsurprising, but nice to know.
Actually, the red text at the top also says "The Potara is on his left ear only" and the other red text says "He has the Time Ring on his right index finger".

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:37 am

HeroR wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:They need to air the episodes in order. We have 15-20 something episodes left until we reach Buu saga Kai.
Why? Most people have seen Z all the way through. Seeing an abridge version the Buu Saga, which isn't as abridge well as Kai 1.0, isn't really necessary.
Toei probably most likely control over on what's happen with the TV rights for the series. When Toonami got the rights to Kai, they most likely to sign a deal to air all of the episodes. Including the Buu saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:03 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:They need to air the episodes in order. We have 15-20 something episodes left until we reach Buu saga Kai.
Why? Most people have seen Z all the way through. Seeing an abridge version the Buu Saga, which isn't as abridge well as Kai 1.0, isn't really necessary.
Toei probably most likely control over on what's happen with the TV rights for the series. When Toonami got the rights to Kai, they most likely to sign a deal to air all of the episodes. Including the Buu saga.
Given that Toei treats Kai 1.0 and Kai 2.0 as different series, I doubt it. They most likely need a separate deal all together, otherwise why is it taking Funi so long to dub it and put it on TV or DVD.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:41 am

Running through my daily checklist.

We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Heh... remind me what F5 does?
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Abel Taylor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abel Taylor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Anime Kitten wrote:Heh... remind me what F5 does?
It refreshes the page.
Hi! My name's Abel, and I'm pretty awesome.
VegettoEX wrote: Abel is pretty awesome.
SaiyaJedi wrote: Abel is the best contributor to this forum ever! He's the true Julian #1
Herms wrote: Abel is so awesome that I forgot how to speak Japanese.

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Given the way kaioshin potara combine 2 people into one unified whole, perhaps makaioshin potara split a person in 2 parts, with 1 being the sum of all their evil...

Perhaps Goten, was conceived earlier than expected in one of the tragic time lines, and relied on the assistance of the makaioshin to correct things.

Spitballen here.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:56 pm

The question is "Is Goku black already the result of a portara or is he waiting for a partner"

Because a thought occurred to me. It was said Goku Black has travelled planet to planet destroying them in Trunks' explanation wasn't it? Because That seems like a way to get the attention of the Kaioshins. Maybe he only had one Portara earring at the moment and needs to get another one.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:00 pm

I read somewhere that the Potara is called "Potara of Time"

And I still stick to my theory that there is a Black Vegeta or whatever to fuse later on with Black Goku

A weaker dance fusioned Gogeta vs a Potara non SSGSS Vegetto would be interesting
Last edited by Kishido on Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:01 pm

I assume one way you can Potara fuse with someone and end up with Goku is if two Goku's did it. Depending on when such a fusion happened, his great power would be pretty plausible.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Kishido wrote:I read somewhere that the Potara is called "Potara of Time"
That was just someone confusing the kanji next to "UP" as being related to "Potara" above it.

What it means is "Potara - during (close)-up."
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I assume one way you can Potara fuse with someone and end up with Goku is if two Goku's did it. Depending on when such a fusion happened, his great power would be pretty plausible.
I wonder if Black is just not fused with anyone yet. Or maybe half-fused?... I dunno. We'll just have to wait and find out.
MyAnimeList | AniList

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Speculation: Perhaps Zamasu was originally Future Trunks' timeline's Kaioshin. Somehow evil started to grow inside of him, prompting him to split in two in order to cleanse himself (ala Kami and Daimao), and that evil used the potara to fuse with Goku in the afterlife?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:12 pm

It would be funny if the potara on Goku Black is really nothing and Toriyama thought having it on him would look cool.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It would be funny if the potara on Goku Black is really nothing and Toriyama thought having it on him would look cool.
That's why he brought Freeza back so it wouldn't surprise me.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:It would be funny if the potara on Goku Black is really nothing and Toriyama thought having it on him would look cool.
Which it does. But... yeah. I'm not sure if I'd laugh or get really angry and turn Super Saiyan! :x :lol:
MyAnimeList | AniList

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Speaking of dubbing Super, anyone know why they never went on to dub the Yo, Son Goku! OVA?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:33 pm

ryou766 wrote:Speaking of dubbing Super, anyone know why they never went on to dub the Yo, Son Goku! OVA?
Based on what I've read they couldn't get the rights to it and the other 2 OVAs because more than one company owned them.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Zephyr wrote:Speculation: Perhaps Zamasu was originally Future Trunks' timeline's Kaioshin. Somehow evil started to grow inside of him, prompting him to split in two in order to cleanse himself (ala Kami and Daimao), and that evil used the potara to fuse with Goku in the afterlife?
Again... Zamasu has 2 Potaras on him