"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu May 13, 2021 3:46 am

It will be interesting to see if TOEI try to shut down these rumours of the anime's return again, I still think that it was in pre-production sometime before the pandemic hit (hence all the animators that have come fort and said things to Geekdom, Ajay, etc) and it's only been a matter of when ever since.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 13, 2021 4:32 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:46 am It will be interesting to see if TOEI try to shut down these rumours of the anime's return again, I still think that it was in pre-production sometime before the pandemic hit (hence all the animators that have come fort and said things to Geekdom, Ajay, etc) and it's only been a matter of when ever since.
I too think so. I also think Toei should hire new translators. It's not the first time their translations have been wrong.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu May 13, 2021 6:34 am

I will keep my prediction that the anime will only return in 2023 and something else will replace Digimon. Unless Toei levelled up and can manage 3 top tier weekly animes, I can't imagine DBS return this year and look as good as One Piece and Dragon Quest Dai Remake do every week.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Thu May 13, 2021 7:18 am

If there the anime were to return, at this point 2023 would make the most sense, agreed. Not 2021 (capacity) or 2024 (too long after the movie for the anime to use it as a "promotional diving board" and lure in movie audience into the series). In 2023 the reruns are over as well. So it would fit. The movie has been announced first, so it would be a suprise if the anime would come before the movie. Normally it should have been the other way around in that case.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 13, 2021 8:30 am

I've no idea what can replace Digimon at this point in time. They could extend it, ala Kitaro, but I don't imagine it will run another year. The rumours were that TOEI wanted Super to have a long running TV show, with movies every so often like One Piece. They need to sort out the translation on that Official Site, it does state at the bottom that it is machine translated, but this is why they need to have an official translator working on it, so these things don't get misinterpreted.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 13, 2021 8:35 am

I am skeptical that Super will return to TV this year because doing so would mean repeating the same mistakes as the first series. I think Digimon will continue, business as as usual, because it won't require as much pre-production to keep going as starting over a new series. Worst case scenario SDBH reruns run in the 9AM slot beginning in October for three months or whatever (assuming that they are allowed to).

Of course, I could be entirely wrong and a crew has already been working on Super without anyone noticing. Or not.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu May 13, 2021 8:55 am

Movie = End of 2022

Anime = Start of 2023 (when Super Rerun ends)

Seems like the stars are aligning to me.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu May 13, 2021 11:31 am

I don't think there has to be a year between the movie and DBS2, DBS aired a month after RoF, and sure, it was rushed as fuck, but not really because of that. Here the pre-production could have started at least 3 years ago (19, 20, 21, not counting 22). More than enough time to have a product decent and ready to start not too long after the movie.

It also depends on when will the movie premiere, early 2022? late 2022? if the movie comes out on march, we could easily have the anime back on september. The movie will also get a grace period, time to sell merch and stuff, but I doubt it'll be as long as a year.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 13, 2021 12:25 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:31 am I don't think there has to be a year between the movie and DBS2, DBS aired a month after RoF, and sure, it was rushed as fuck, but not really because of that. Here the pre-production could have started at least 3 years ago (19, 20, 21, not counting 22). More than enough time to have a product decent and ready to start not too long after the movie.

It also depends on when will the movie premiere, early 2022? late 2022? if the movie comes out on march, we could easily have the anime back on september. The movie will also get a grace period, time to sell merch and stuff, but I doubt it'll be as long as a year.
It is exceedingly unlikely that there is any finished material for the series. All of Toei Animation's in-house animators and freelance contacts have been busy working on their current projects. Unless Shintani has been drawing hundreds of cuts (unlikely) since finishing working on Dai no Daibouken #1 there is nobody skilled to animate for the series.

Toei's recent work is so goos because they're finally scheduling properly.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm

Just a reminder, DBS aired a mere 3 months after it was first announced.
Not saying that this recent bit of news should be wholly disregarded, but I think we should be patient until a official statement is released.

Personally, I believe that a TV series would most likely air AFTER the new film's release, just like how the first episode of DBS was aired shortly after RoF's premiere.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 13, 2021 1:09 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm Just a reminder, DBS aired a mere 3 months after it was first announced.
Not saying that this recent bit of news should be wholly disregarded, but I think we should be patient until a official statement is released.

Personally, I believe that a TV series would most likely air AFTER the new film's release, just like how the first episode of DBS was aired shortly after RoF's premiere.
Dragon Ball Super also never recovered from being rushed out the door with no staff. Considering the trends on Toei series now they are unlikely to just repeat the same mistake, especially when there is that similar lack of staff.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Thu May 13, 2021 1:51 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:09 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:27 pm Just a reminder, DBS aired a mere 3 months after it was first announced.

Dragon Ball Super also never recovered from being rushed out the door with no staff. Considering the trends on Toei series now they are unlikely to just repeat the same mistake, especially when there is that similar lack of staff.
Fair enough.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu May 13, 2021 4:24 pm

3 months is always the standard time for shows in the Fuji TV slot. Dragon Quest Dai was announced well ahead of time because it's on TV Tokyo, Fuji shows are announced one cour ahead - it's how they choose to do it. Thing is, Digimon will eventually need to be replaced, what team will start pre production on the next show? The Fuji one hour block is Toei produced, please, can someone offer clarity on this - when they decided to give Dragon Ball its own department at Toei, was it that the TV & Movie will get their own departments within that? I thought I read that somewhere. It was 3 years back though.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm

The possibilities are that Digimon will get extended beyond September, or some completely new Toei production we don’t know about will pop out of nowhere and replace Digimon, or... Dragon Ball Super will return.

2023 seems way too far for Super to return. 5 years after the anime went on hiatus? That’s a long ass time. :lol:

If the show does come back in October, I would like to think that Toei have learned their lesson from last time and will give the show sufficient pre-production time.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri May 14, 2021 9:54 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:51 pm
2023 seems way too far for Super to return. 5 years after the anime went on hiatus? That’s a long ass time. :lol:

The revival formula actually could have been milked completely dry right now if they had been pooping out new animated release non-stop since 2015. Taking a longer break may actually be a smart strategy to stretch it as long as possible.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri May 14, 2021 6:20 pm

Super should come back with a 26 episode season. Airing all year long with the old formula in the modern 2020's is crazy. There's no need for it to air all year round with a new episode every week.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sat May 15, 2021 1:12 am

Toei has already announced Akuma-kun and while the old iteration of that aired on TV Asahi, it is possible the new one will take Digimon's spot in October on Fuji TV.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat May 15, 2021 4:00 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:12 am Toei has already announced Akuma-kun and while the old iteration of that aired on TV Asahi, it is possible the new one will take Digimon's spot in October on Fuji TV.
Historically, announcements for the Fuji TV slot are made a cour prior to the new show airing. Of course, that can change, but usually, anime IP stays on the original network. This is how it is over there - that is why Fuji insisted on keeping Kitaro and Digimon Adventure, other Digimon Series have aired elsewhere, but the Adventure IP has always been on Fuji.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 pm

Even if Toei doesn't have anything new, they could re-run another of their anime in Digimon's timeslot instead, couldn't they? Like how they're re-running Super at the moment.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun May 16, 2021 1:02 pm

I wonder if the movie started the production sooner than we think, because the DIgimon anime has not maintained the quality at all, It used to be bad animated some times but It always put some effort on the animation for the important moments, but now oof, last episode was supposed to have an epic fight between Wargreymon and Mugendramon, but the animation was trash, It looked more like pictures with music in some parts.