"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Terez » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:06 am

Not sure how this is any different from fan speculation. He says he doesn't know if it will be a series or a movie. We've already been promised a movie, so he knows less than we do, tbh. (Man's trying to get in on that. Hard to blame him. And we want him.)

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:49 pm

I wonder how the preparations for that new movie is going. It's been almost a year and all we have is one casual mention and now this new interview.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:04 am

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:49 pm I wonder how the preparations for that new movie is going. It's been almost a year and all we have is one casual mention and now this new interview.
I expect we'll get an announcement at Jump Festa later this year with a December 2021 release date. We could of course get lucky and have it announced this summer for a summer 2021 release, but with how well Broly did in December, I think they might want to keep that date moving forward.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 02, 2020 3:33 pm

I don't expect anything new to be announced this year end, this freaking pandemic will postpone everything regardless
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue May 05, 2020 4:10 pm

Just an heads up: people (some YouTubers, actually, which I won’t name) are catching up about the existence of two domains: dragonball2021.com and dragonball2022.com
These were created last year on the 1st of April and updated this year on the 2nd of April.

They were registered in Toronto so it’s very likely someone else claimed them. It costs like 9 dollars to claim one so...

Usually when they buy these domains from Japan they are bought in Tokyo, and domain websites either tell the information or hide it for their privacy. This is not the case for these, that’s why I say these two domains for 2021 and 2022 have no meaning at all.
Especially considering how even dragonball2019.com and dragonball2020.com were bought yet nothing was done with them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue May 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Noah wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 3:33 pm I don't expect anything new to be announced this year end, this freaking pandemic will postpone everything regardless
Possibly...If the Moro arc ends before Jump Festa maybe we will get some new info on the movie.

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Post by JoeCapricorn » Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 pm

The pandemic may delay things even more, we might not hear any news until 2021, and a new show would come 2022 at the earliest. :cry:

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 pmThe pandemic may delay things even more, we might not hear any news until 2021, and a new show would come 2022 at the earliest. :cry:
The more time the manga has to get ahead the better, as it'll give the anime more content to adapt when it eventually returns.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 06, 2020 2:11 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 pm
JoeCapricorn wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:21 pmThe pandemic may delay things even more, we might not hear any news until 2021, and a new show would come 2022 at the earliest. :cry:
The more time the manga has to get ahead the better, as it'll give the anime more content to adapt when it eventually returns.

The anime, be it series or movies, is noways the main product of the franchise. Although it's in a sleeping phase for the time being.
TOEI isn't exactly going to 100 % copycat Toyotaros content, they still want to introduce unique elements that aren't seen before, once they resume with their animated content. I don't believe the manga taking a head start necessarily means anything relevant about why the anime still has not returned in my opinion. One may criticize the way how TOEI adapted Toriyamas scripts for Super, but still, that could be coped with other organized means (such as allowing more time for pre-production and consistent writing by 1 writer who has a unifying overiew on the story) besides strictly having to follow Toyotaros manga as being the holy grail.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Wed May 06, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 2:34 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:11 pmI don't believe the manga taking a head start necessarily means anything relevant about why the anime still has not returned in my opinion.
According to Geekdom101 (I think), the studio is still trying to decide on whether or not to exclusively adapt the manga, or to adapt it while also including original stories to the anime. I think it's up to Toriyama, if he offers the anime's staff new stories they'll obviously adapt them, but I can't see them going against his word if he wants the manga to become the main source material of the franchise. Either way, we'll have a lot of content to look forward to in the coming years.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 06, 2020 2:36 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:34 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:11 pmI don't believe the manga taking a head start necessarily means anything relevant about why the anime still has not returned in my opinion.
According to Geekdom101 (I think), the studio is still trying to decide on whether or not to exclusively adapt the manga, or to adapt it while also including original stories to the anime. I think it's up to Toriyama, if he offers the anime's staff new stories they'll obviously adapt them, but I can't see them going against his word if he wants the manga to become the main source material of the franchise. Either way, we'll have a lot of content to look forward to in the coming years.

'According to Geekdom101' isn't my standard for reliable information concering Dragon Ball, definitely not after what happened exactly a year ago. For the time being, i only believe in confirmations by official sources.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:36 pmAccording to Geekdom101' isn't my standard for reliable information concering Dragon Ball, definitely not after what happened exactly a year ago.
Which wasn't his fault. No source is 100% reliable, sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 06, 2020 2:58 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:53 pm
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:36 pmAccording to Geekdom101' isn't my standard for reliable information concering Dragon Ball, definitely not after what happened exactly a year ago.
Which wasn't his fault. No source is 100% reliable, sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong.

Ajay, who in my opinion has more reliable connections within the anime world than Geekdom, had stated it was no longer a certainty DB would immediately return. Geekdom however kept selling DB would return, despite Ajays denials, how do you explain that?

You believe what you want to believe, but i know what i take for a standard. That's an official source.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed May 06, 2020 4:34 pm

He is 100% wrong.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm

I don't understand why people put so much trust and emphasis in Geekdom "Trust me, I'm a Doctor" 101.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 07, 2020 5:25 am

Psykomatik wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:34 pm
He is 100% wrong.
How can you say this with absolute certainty?

Besides, that was Geekdom’s speculation from a few months ago. I don’t get why people act like:
1. It has to be true;
2. Nothing has changed in the past few months.

Even if Toriyama, at the time, hadn’t written any new story for Dragon Ball (which I doubt) nothing says he hasn’t now.
But the speculation that Toei *might* adapt the manga in the future is plausible. And, that way, Toriyama could just leave stuff into Toyotaro’s hands while only having to supervise the manga and giving suggestions/writing a few stuff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MeMeDZEHH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 am

emperior wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:25 am

He is 100% wrong.

Besides, that was Geekdom’s speculation from a few months ago. I don’t get why people act like:
1. It has to be true;

Even if Toriyama, at the time, hadn’t written any new story for Dragon Ball (which I doubt) nothing says he hasn’t now.
But the speculation that Toei *might* adapt the manga in the future is plausible. And, that way, Toriyama could just leave stuff into Toyotaro’s hands while only having to supervise the manga and giving suggestions/writing a few stuff.
Because it's impossible if the manga stays monthly. Even if Toyotaro is 2 years ahead in terms of publication, the anime will catch up in less than 6 month . After that, what do you do ? Taking the boruto's path ? It would be a disaster.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 amIt's impossible if the manga stays monthly. Even if Toyotaro is 2 years ahead in terms of publication, the anime will catch up in less than 6 month . After that, what do you do ? Taking the boruto's path ?
I think what might happen is that once the anime catches up to the manga, Toyotaro will simply provide his drafts to Toei in order for them to move ahead, like what happened during the u6 tournament.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 am

MeMeDZEHH wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:38 am
emperior wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:25 am

He is 100% wrong.

1. It has to be true;

Because it's impossible if the manga stays monthly. Even if Toyotaro is 2 years ahead in terms of publication, the anime will catch up in less than 6 month . After that, what do you do ? Taking the boruto's path ? It would be a disaster.
Plus despite the fact very little people consume the manga Toyo still never had a big reveal and they didn't even trust him with Broly. No way they are gonna have an arc simmer in the manga for 1+ year and then adapt.

Toei are not desperate. DB is making more money right now than it ever did on air, it doesn't need to come back. If the manga is going to be adapted it would've been by now.