"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:23 am

son_razor wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:10 pm Via DBS2019 on Twitter -

“I’m hearing that the new Dragon Ball anime announcement will happen in conjunction with or immediately after the release of the DBS: Super Hero 4K UHD/Blu-Ray in early December.”
Super hero getting 4k release? Wow.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:31 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:23 am

“I’m hearing that the new Dragon Ball anime announcement will happen in conjunction with or immediately after the release of the DBS: Super Hero 4K UHD/Blu-Ray in early December.”
Only Japan so far.

Wish Crunchyroll could announce the UK release already, although I'll be getting it on regular Blu-Ray, don't have a 4K player and don't know if it would be worth it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:25 am

I can imagine it will look gorgeous in 4K. The movie is far from the disaster and doubt that many of us expressed here and quite the opposite visually.

This makes me longing at least for the original series to get some proper release on Blu Ray at least (DB, GT). Hell, make some remaster as best as you can and put it on streaming service.
Batman TAS was released remastered few years ago and it looks the best the series has ever looked and it's roughly the same age as Z series.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:31 am

Only Japan so far.

Wish Crunchyroll could announce the UK release already, although I'll be getting it on regular Blu-Ray, don't have a 4K player and don't know if it would be worth it.
And I wish it'd be announced for France in 4k.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:09 am

Another GT is upon us.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:55 am

Dragmobot12 wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:09 am Another GT is upon us.
Oh hell no. I hope not, if they adapt some of the other content that would be pretty difficult to do

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:57 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 am

Only Japan so far.

And I wish it'd be announced for France in 4k.
If I had to guess I'd say Super Hero will become available on 4K in all territories where the format is viable, that includes France.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 pm

Introducing the Time-Patrol into the main storyline would be a game changer, perhaps the only way we could see different versions of the villains/characters of the Koyamaverse.
If this spin-off turns out to be about the Future Trunks, I would be more than happy, exploring the multiverse/alternate dimensions with this character would be amazing.

In short, they could really do a "Loki" type of series with Trunks and it would still work, without contradicting anything Toriyama is planning for Dragon Ball Super right now.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:55 pm

Only Japan so far.

Most 4K releases include the regular Blu-ray.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:07 pm

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:36 pm

If that's true, I'd hope for serialized adaptations of NekoMajinZ/Jaco. Toriyama would have to be directly involved for me to care about anything else...probably.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:55 pm

I'm sure the web series will be something like Sasuke Retsuden, and the best option right now is Future Trunks and Mai spin-off.
The reason they're not adapting this into a manga is because there's no one to draw it, lol.

But even if it's a spin-off, why can't they get Young Jijii to work on some side-story manga for the DBS continuity? He's by far better that Toyotaro.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:06 pm

Young Jijii traces are just as much as Toyo-tarou, so it's not really a good idea to hire him considering how much it hinders his paneling.

Speaking of Sasuke Retsuden, that comic adaption is surprisingly well drawn. It's so wild seeing Kishimoto, Ikemoto and Kimura as three concurrent artists all able to draw in a very similar style like that. It's almost like living through the Superman Triangle Era. It's a shame more comic franchises don't have that luxury because the idea of three concurrent artists working together like that to just casually release a hundred-plus pages a month for a comic would be interesting.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:17 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:55 pm why can't they get Young Jijii to work on some side-story manga for the DBS continuity? He's by far better that Toyotaro.
I wouldn't mind seeing Youngjiji work on some spinoff manga. I don't think he's been chosen up until this point because his stories are boring and his works lack originality. Although his drawings closely resemble aspects of Toriyama's (especially compared to "Toyble" back in the day), Jump wants to hire creative people.

Another obstacle could be meeting deadlines. Toyotaro has proven he is capable of that (84 consecutive months). DragonGarrowLee - who did the Reincarnated as Yamcha manga and is excellent at mimicking many different manga styles - had a hard time with that. Lately, it seems that he's been focusing on developing his own style (like Ultra Instinct), which has been cool to see.

Jiji also might also be perfectly content as a professional fan artist. He has more freedom to draw fanservice, which he might enjoy.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:25 am

Xeogran wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:18 pm
If the new anime is side-stories about other Universes that'd be cool.
inb4 Dragon Ball SD adaptation.
Smells like a DB reboot. Let's hope it's not, because it will be censored and maybe even in 3D. I sure wonder what happens with DB Super then.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:17 am

Not particularly excited by the idea of anything other than a Super manga adaptation at this point (and even then, mostly as a curiosity).

An original DB remake is something that … should probably happen, and I imagine will, at some point, but I can’t say I’m too excited to sit through one myself.

Jaco or Neko Majin adaptations would be neat, but also don’t really need to exist, and I don’t think they could improve on their manga at all so it’s … kind of just a “neat for the novelty and for people who might not otherwise encounter them” situation again.

(But same for the Super manga in that regard. I guess the only thing that makes that more potentially interesting for me is it allowing more cross-media introduction of later manga characters, and also maybe helping the various branches of multimedia Super to line up again. Also there are a couple of genuinely neat things we could get there like a manga-comparable ”F” adaptation (taking like three or four episodes instead of the TV series’ thirteen).)

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:57 am

I literally have no clue what this new series could be about. The only other thing that I would want besides the return of Super is maybe a remake of the original Dragon Ball.

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:49 am

So I'm out of the loop, is this source about this new anime from someone who's consistently been credible with this kind of information?

son_razor

Post by son_razor » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:56 am

Jack Bz wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:49 am So I'm out of the loop, is this source about this new anime from someone who's consistently been credible with this kind of information?
Not as much as Spanku, but yes.