"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:05 am

If this new project is a remake of the original comic I an excited. Toei has a crop of vibrant, young creators all of whom I would love to see work on such a project. The 1986 cartoon only had a few women and only as animators, so an adaption with some of Toei's female directors would ve really exciting to see come about now if a new adaption is truly happening.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:05 am

If this new project is a remake of the original comic I an excited. Toei has a crop of vibrant, young creators all of whom I would love to see work on such a project. The 1986 cartoon only had a few women and only as animators, so an adaption with some of Toei's female directors would ve really exciting to see come about now if a new adaption is truly happening.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:05 am If this new project is a remake of the original comic I an excited. Toei has a crop of vibrant, young creators all of whom I would love to see work on such a project. The 1986 cartoon only had a few women and only as animators, so an adaption with some of Toei's female directors would ve really exciting to see come about now if a new adaption is truly happening.
Why? I mean, a remake would be an adaptation of Dragon Ball manga, so female directors can't influence the story much differently than male directors could.

Even if certain scenes are censored it would be because of the current time (not the female directors).

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:19 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:25 am
Xeogran wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:18 pm
If the new anime is side-stories about other Universes that'd be cool.
inb4 Dragon Ball SD adaptation.
Smells like a DB reboot. Let's hope it's not, because it will be censored and maybe even in 3D. I sure wonder what happens with DB Super then.
One of the people 'in-the-know' said it's not a DB remake, so yeah.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:24 pm

Konja7 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:41 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:05 am If this new project is a remake of the original comic I an excited. Toei has a crop of vibrant, young creators all of whom I would love to see work on such a project. The 1986 cartoon only had a few women and only as animators, so an adaption with some of Toei's female directors would ve really exciting to see come about now if a new adaption is truly happening.
Why? I mean, a remake would be an adaptation of Dragon Ball manga, so female directors can't influence the story much differently than male directors could.

Even if certain scenes are censored it would be because of the current time (not the female directors).
Strong directors inevitably leave their own mark on a work. Directors are still involved in making creative decisions when adapting works beyond just regurgitating the comic panel-for-panel. Furthermore, different people will have different ideas in both broad and small ways. Clearly, we saw a lot of male-led sexism and misogyny in Dragon Ball Super (2015 cartoon) and that series was initially led very heavily by men. It wasn't until different staff—albeit still men—came in that female characters began to get some better representation during the Tournament of Power. I think assembling as staff around a potential second adaption of the 1984 comic with the express desire to center the voices of female creators is important.
She/Her
bisexual milf

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:58 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:19 pm

Smells like a DB reboot. Let's hope it's not, because it will be censored and maybe even in 3D. I sure wonder what happens with DB Super then.
One of the people 'in-the-know' said it's not a DB remake, so yeah.
Do you know anything more?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:16 pm

Interesting, so a new anime might come and like I called in the past months: it will not be an adaptation of Toyotaro's stories that Toei never cared about it.

But on other note it could be a DB remake? And I'm not talking about just original Dragon Ball (1986) but the whole thing?
A second adaptation of the original manga? Well, I would only like if had the same treatment as Hunter x Hunter (2011) had, if not I'll feel like a waste of time, watching an anime that I might have to endure 40+ episodes to have decent animation.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:25 pm

Noah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:16 pm Interesting, so a new anime might come and like I called in the past months: it will not be an adaptation of Toyotaro's stories that Toei never cared about it.

But on other note it could be a DB remake? And I'm not talking about just original Dragon Ball (1986) but the whole thing?
A second adaptation of the original manga? Well, I would only like if had the same treatment as Hunter x Hunter (2011) had, if not I'll feel like a waste of time, watching an anime that I might have to endure 40+ episodes to have decent animation.
The 2011 adaption of Hunter x Hunter looks like ass, so that's perhaps not the best comparison to make, especially hot off the heels of Toei Animation's own 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken or even the 2009 BONES adaption of Hagane no Renkinjustsushi: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. The world needs less bland-looking adaptions like the 2011 animated adaption of Hunter x Hunter and more Tiger Mask W or even just the onslaught of animators and good scheduling the 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken was so lucky to receive.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:25 pmThe 2011 adaption of Hunter x Hunter looks like ass, so that's perhaps not the best comparison to make, especially hot off the heels of Toei Animation's own 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken or even the 2009 BONES adaption of Hagane no Renkinjustsushi: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. The world needs less bland-looking adaptions like the 2011 animated adaption of Hunter x Hunter and more Tiger Mask W or even just the onslaught of animators and good scheduling the 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken was so lucky to receive.
I mean, compared to the first adaptation (1999), this second one did justice to an work (still in progress) and attracted many fans to be more engaged on it. And animation wise was more consistent than Dragon Ball Super (2015). But, sure we could get something like Dragon Quest, it would be amazing, but I don't feel confident Toei would put much effort on it.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:43 pm

Noah wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:38 pm
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:25 pmThe 2011 adaption of Hunter x Hunter looks like ass, so that's perhaps not the best comparison to make, especially hot off the heels of Toei Animation's own 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken or even the 2009 BONES adaption of Hagane no Renkinjustsushi: FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST. The world needs less bland-looking adaptions like the 2011 animated adaption of Hunter x Hunter and more Tiger Mask W or even just the onslaught of animators and good scheduling the 2020 adaption of Dragon Quest: Dai no Dai-Bouken was so lucky to receive.
I mean, compared to the first adaptation (1999), this second one did justice to an work (still in progress) and attracted many fans to be more engaged on it. And animation wise was more consistent than Dragon Ball Super (2015). But, sure we could get something like Dragon Quest, it would be amazing, but I don't feel confident Toei would put much effort on it.
The 1999 cartoon looks good, though, so that's something any cartoon should attempt to achieve. The 2011 adaption had really bland directing and coloring with next to zero good animation throughout the entire project. There's really no use in being on-model if the look of your series is bland and stiff.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:37 pm

Considering all the denials "It's not a remake", "It's not a manga adaptation", "it's not a sequel"... maybe it's actually something like Digimon Tamers or Pretty Cure Splash Star? A series carrying the "Dragonball" title but featuring completely new characters and story, only connected to the older shows by some general concepts?

I guess if this happens Toei's staff might be wanting more creative freedom? Then if it fails they can just go back to Goku and co afterwards, but if it succeeds they can do annual reboots over and over potentially have another always on-going series.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:28 pm

I just HOPE something is announced, i'll take pretty much anything at this point, but, if its not part of the main story, please be something interesting, i'll be down for Future Trunks story, Broly gang sidestory, idk Universe 6 story with the saiyans, etc. I just dont want it to be something boring/something I dont find appealing, like the Jaco manga.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:03 am

HxH, FMA, and Dragon Quest had remakes to adapt more of their manga. Have there been any anime remakes of a series that has already been fully adapted? I can only think of films like Path to Power or Berserk Golden Age arc that reimagine and summarize part of the story. They didn't have a Kai version of DB so a complete remake seems unlikely.

I recall one of those leakers claiming it's going to be a web series so maybe a spinoff. They also said that Toei wanted to continue DBS but Shuiesha had them wait for more manga content to adapt. It's hard to know which of these are true. Isekais are popular these days so why not an adaptation of That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha :).

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:59 pm

The French YouTuber saikyou_devin is hinting the light might be wrong on some parts.

OrangeBanana
Beyond Newbie

Post by OrangeBanana » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:23 pm

I would love it if this new series started with a complete blank slate, completely unrelated to Goku and his adventures. Have it feature a new cast of characters and so on, just to give it a fresh start without any baggage weighing it down.

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:23 pm

Neon Z wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:37 pm Considering all the denials "It's not a remake", "It's not a manga adaptation", "it's not a sequel"... maybe it's actually something like Digimon Tamers or Pretty Cure Splash Star? A series carrying the "Dragonball" title but featuring completely new characters and story, only connected to the older shows by some general concepts?

I guess if this happens Toei's staff might be wanting more creative freedom? Then if it fails they can just go back to Goku and co afterwards, but if it succeeds they can do annual reboots over and over potentially have another always on-going series.
Part of me is wondering if it isnt 2015 all over again with the answer staring us in the face with the recently announced manga arc. The web anime adapts the new manga arc then the Superhero movie timeskipping off from where Broly left off and ignoring Moro and Granolah. :think:
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:44 pm

Skar wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:03 am HxH, FMA, and Dragon Quest had remakes to adapt more of their manga. Have there been any anime remakes of a series that has already been fully adapted? I can only think of films like Path to Power or Berserk Golden Age arc that reimagine and summarize part of the story. They didn't have a Kai version of DB so a complete remake seems unlikely.

I recall one of those leakers claiming it's going to be a web series so maybe a spinoff. They also said that Toei wanted to continue DBS but Shuiesha had them wait for more manga content to adapt. It's hard to know which of these are true. Isekais are popular these days so why not an adaptation of That Time I Got Reincarnated as Yamcha :).
The idea that they would want more manga content to adapt and they're waiting for that reason, is very odd because DBS has never been a manga adaptation. That's why the two continuities are so different and the anime was able to complete major story arcs before the manga could. So making it into a strict manga adaptation would be a very major change from the first iteration/season of DBS, and one that I think a lot of people wouldn't really welcome.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:53 am

BagetaSama wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:44 pmThe idea that they would want more manga content to adapt and they're waiting for that reason, is very odd because DBS has never been a manga adaptation. That's why the two continuities are so different and the anime was able to complete major story arcs before the manga could. So making it into a strict manga adaptation would be a very major change from the first iteration/season of DBS, and one that I think a lot of people wouldn't really welcome.
I just remember one of those twitter guys claiming that was the case. Maybe Shuiesha thought it would be easier to adapt manga arcs instead of a short outline since Toriyama is already supervising the manga. Toei could change things around and add filler so it probably won't be identical.

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:48 pm

Skar wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:53 am
BagetaSama wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:44 pmThe idea that they would want more manga content to adapt and they're waiting for that reason, is very odd because DBS has never been a manga adaptation. That's why the two continuities are so different and the anime was able to complete major story arcs before the manga could. So making it into a strict manga adaptation would be a very major change from the first iteration/season of DBS, and one that I think a lot of people wouldn't really welcome.
I just remember one of those twitter guys claiming that was the case. Maybe Shuiesha thought it would be easier to adapt manga arcs instead of a short outline since Toriyama is already supervising the manga. Toei could change things around and add filler so it probably won't be identical.
I mean if they change things around as they did before, then it wouldn't really be a manga adaptation like every other anime is. At least, they might use it as some sort of another reference, like they did before at some point, then that's entirely different, than relying on the manga being ahead so that they can adapt it. I don't know, I don't know if I buy that rumor just because it feels like such a big change, But I'm also just heavily biased towards the anime version of the events.