"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 am

Orb wrote:Info about Super Saiyans from Tori's Q/A from from Herms' Translation
That was interesting, I kinda liked the S-Cell explanation thing, don't know why people are so bothered by it.
Liquir wrote:119 Spoilers
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Damn it! That means Universe 2 will not be erased along Universe 6? :x
HeroR wrote:More information:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
So this means Raditz is not a low class Saiyan? :think:
sintzu wrote:
precita wrote:Toryiama the next George Lucas?
Toriyama is changing things around and adding to the established manga but unlike Lucas we can still just read and talk about the manga if we want, Toriyama isn't having it all pulled from the market to change it up to how he thinks it should be viewed and talked about.
Exactly, but he's not adding to the manga as the original serialization has none of these stuffs, so people can chose to not stick with.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:34 am

U2 is also going out, but they will be eliminated likely in the first half of episode 118.

Its just that Toei/Toriyama never cared much for U2, Brianne performance is a great example of it.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am

Michsi wrote: So it's confirmed it's Universe 6. Kinda expected it. Here's to hoping the last fight is a good one. Still think Gohan will be the one to give the final blast, since he seems to be in his Ultimate form in the preview.
Also, no hint as to who the 'victim' is. Darn.
That means to me that either Piccolo's big moment is still to come or Gohan has stole it. You can tell when 18, Roshi, Krillin and Tien had their big moments and if Gohan has the action in the last few minutes then it will be remembered as a Gohan moment and not a Piccolo one.

If episode 119 isn't 18 then there is something wrong as that injury can only be getting worse.
Lionel wrote:Of course the Namekians get taken out next episode. To be fair, their on-screen battle time was roughly the same as Cabba's; a well-established veteran of the Super series at this point. It could have been worse, but then it could have been much better. You have the first two Namekians in decades that aren't Piccolo being allowed to fight and their debut amounts to little else beyond some underhanded backstabbing as someone else described it along with some ancillary cut-aways leading up to an episode partly dedicated to their fight where everyone's favourite Namekian may or may not have been eliminated. It's almost guaranteed that the U6 Saiyans will show up again. U6 Namekians are a scarcity and they don't have much reason to appear outside of needing an extended roster of fighters for tournaments. Plus, who else besides Piccolo even has an interest in them?

It's a bit disappointing. We're supposed to keep leveled expectations but a part of you can't help but feel that maybe there is a chance for something big and exciting to happen. The episode has yet to air but with the manner in which 118 is being described, it sounds like Universe 6's erasure is the topmost focus instead of any new developments involving the fighters themselves.
The best thing Saonel and Pirina have going for them is that they are from Universe 6 which means it is very likely we will see them again and the preview hints at some kind of backstory.

I doubt the episode 119 title would have new victim in it if Universe 7 just lost someone so Piccolo is not going down agaisnt Saonel and Pirina.
perucho1990 wrote:Yet Cabba ended up with the most singles eliminations in U6, with 3.
No one really cares about his first 2 eliminations.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:43 am

Lionel wrote:Of course the Namekians get taken out next episode. To be fair, their on-screen battle time was roughly the same as Cabba's; a well-established veteran of the Super series at this point. It could have been worse, but then it could have been much better. You have the first two Namekians in decades that aren't Piccolo being allowed to fight and their debut amounts to little else beyond some underhanded backstabbing as someone else described it along with some ancillary cut-aways leading up to an episode partly dedicated to their fight where everyone's favourite Namekian may or may not have been eliminated. It's almost guaranteed that the U6 Saiyans will show up again. U6 Namekians are a scarcity and they don't have much reason to appear outside of needing an extended roster of fighters for tournaments. Plus, who else besides Piccolo even has an interest in them?

It's a bit disappointing. We're supposed to keep leveled expectations but a part of you can't help but feel that maybe there is a chance for something big and exciting to happen. The episode has yet to air but with the manner in which 118 is being described, it sounds like Universe 6's erasure is the topmost focus instead of any new developments involving the fighters themselves.
Leveled expectations?Toei destroyed my low expections I was even if namekians are fodder piccolo will defeat them by himself.Whatever this unlimited regeneration is considering it is not a hyper bole,is not going to top buu.
I'm not sure if toei is only one to blame after all toriyama never bothered to hype anyone other than saiyans,the latest interview confirms that.I think manga will be better,I don't expect toyotaro to do worse than this.At least,yardrat will get explained.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 am

Michsi wrote:
The tailless hybrid theory has going around for years, that's true, but it's only been discussed in a few places seriously (this site included) Gohan kinda disproved that theory sine he still seemed the strongest out of all the hybrids and was born with a tail. Though growing up in a peaceful environment also being a factor, I don't know about that.

The science-mysticism bit is a good analogy, but I guess I also understand the frustration with the need to explain everything.

So it's confirmed it's Universe 6. Kinda expected it. Here's to hoping the last fight is a good one. Still think Gohan will be the one to give the final blast, since he seems to be in his Ultimate form in the preview.
Also, no hint as to who the 'victim' is. Darn.
That isn't a theory, that is the officially explanation as to why Goten and Trunks got Super Saiyan so easily.

Daizenshuu 4:

The tailless second generation are super ultra child prodigies. Saiyan genes have an extraordinarily good compatibility with Earthling blood. Because of this, when the two races are mixed together children with formidable power are born. Particularly, those Halflings born without tails hide an exceptional battle power. There are many things that they naturally master from a young age, such as the ordinarily arduous transformation into a Super Saiyan. In spite of having such an outstanding battle sense, they do not have a fondness for battle like a pure Saiyan. Instead, it seems that the violent temperament of the Saiyan has been relaxed through their Earthling blood.

Remember, both Goten and Trunks grew faster than Gohan around the same age. They stall mostly because they never had a real reason to get stronger since they grew up in a mostly peaceful era.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

amuroray
Not-So-Newbie

Post by amuroray » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:49 am

If you needed any more evidence of toyriyama and this series being washed up there it is.

Awful just awful.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:51 am

Good for Cabba. I'm sure those tallies on his score list are an adequate compensator for quality choreographical screentime. Like with other characters, Nigrisshi was falsely portrayed in episodes leading up to the tournament as a prospective big name for the event. Not sure why Toei felt the need to heighten his standing up so much when his ultimate fate amounted to being casually kicked aside and made to watch the vast majority of the tournament from the spectator booth.

Hawk9211: My initial impression is that the "unlimited regeneration" is just hyperbole, like you said. We already saw Piccolo regenerate virtually all of his body in no time with no indications of strain back in the Buu arc. I'm not sure what benefit prescribing levels of regenerative quality would have now. About the only characters who have been damaged enough to require appendage reconstruction are Namekians, not counting Narirama. The benefits might feel more significant if you saw some organic beings who aren't Namekians lose a couple of their limbs and are left crippled for the remainder of the tournament as a result.

They know to entice fans of those characters so that we'll watch this arc more attentively and eagerly. If their promotions measured up to the estimated quality and amount of screentime that those characters actually received, you probably wouldn't be seeing as much hype for the tournament -- even though the Saiyans and Freeza alone probably already make up a majority of the interest for the ToP.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:52 am

Does anyone think making Zirloin fodder was a big mistake?

I bet Toei is disappointed at Toriyama for that decision, given the positive feedback the Avengers IW trailer got.

We got a Hulk reference in episode 100 after all....

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:54 am

Hawk9211 wrote: Leveled expectations?Toei destroyed my low expections I was even if namekians are fodder piccolo will defeat them by himself.Whatever this unlimited regeneration is considering it is not a hyper bole,is not going to top buu.
I'm not sure if toei is only one to blame after all toriyama never bothered to hype anyone other than saiyans,the latest interview confirms that.I think manga will be better,I don't expect toyotaro to do worse than this.At least,yardrat will get explained.
Unlimited regeneration must be something if it was mentioned in the preview. I going to guess it is them constantly healing themselves as if they had Dende inside them or something.

Yardrat definitely needs explaning. It only takes a couple of lines

Saiyans are the least interesting thing to me so all this interview stuff I really don't care about. I watch Dragon Ball for everything else that it provides.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:55 am

HeroR wrote:
That isn't a theory, that is the officially explanation as to why Goten and Trunks got Super Saiyan so easily.

Daizenshuu 4:

The tailless second generation are super ultra child prodigies. Saiyan genes have an extraordinarily good compatibility with Earthling blood. Because of this, when the two races are mixed together children with formidable power are born. Particularly, those Halflings born without tails hide an exceptional battle power. There are many things that they naturally master from a young age, such as the ordinarily arduous transformation into a Super Saiyan. In spite of having such an outstanding battle sense, they do not have a fondness for battle like a pure Saiyan. Instead, it seems that the violent temperament of the Saiyan has been relaxed through their Earthling blood.

Remember, both Goten and Trunks grew faster than Gohan around the same age. They stall mostly because they never had a real reason to get stronger since they grew up in a mostly peaceful era.
Huh, must've forgotten about that. It's been years since I've read Daizenshuu info, and only remembered the part about tails being a recessive trait.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:57 am

Noah wrote:
Exactly, but he's not adding to the manga as the original serialization has none of these stuffs, so people can chose to not stick with.
No so if one doesn't like any of the new material or information they can just ignoar it. The manga will always be its own complete thing thats untouched by any of it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:58 am

Piccolo must eliminate both Namekians or his performance wont surpass Tiens.

At this point the only way he gets a boost if with Nakama power, the so called unlimited regeneration is imo due to Saonel and Pirina absorbing the Namekian race.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 am

perucho1990 wrote:Piccolo must eliminate both Namekians or his performance wont surpass Tiens.

At this point the only way he gets a boost if with Nakama power, the so called unlimited regeneration is imo due to Saonel and Pirina absorbing the Namekian race.
Piccolo has absorbed 2 Namekians so that might be enough. It is probably whatever that aura is

Piccolo is not finished in the tournament so wait before you judge his performance compared to Tien.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:05 am

perucho1990 wrote:At this point the only way he gets a boost if with Nakama power, the so called unlimited regeneration is imo due to Saonel and Pirina absorbing the Namekian race.
Where does this "absorbed the Namekian race" come from anyway? I saw it coming up since Sunday and I've never seen an explanation.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:11 am

darzap wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:At this point the only way he gets a boost if with Nakama power, the so called unlimited regeneration is imo due to Saonel and Pirina absorbing the Namekian race.
Where does this "absorbed the Namekian race" come from anyway? I saw it coming up since Sunday and I've never seen an explanation.
In the preview for episode 118 we see loads of Namekians in that red shadow.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:12 am

darzap wrote:
Honestly, I think DB Multiverse (fancomic) is the reason for that theory. There is a namekian character there that is basically every single namekian fused into one.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:19 am

perucho1990 wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:lol I knew these Namekians were a joke the moment they appeared, which was technically their actual debut. And no, them being eliminated the last doesn't mean anything, it's just their luck. In the end, they didn't have any unique personality and didn't add anything new to the series. Even Piccolo gave 0 shits about them.

This kind of writing and fake tension to hype the viewers really annoys me now. To make them first appear as mysterious silhouettes and remain unknown for few episodes, then casually reveal their so original faces in the GodPad for the first time. On top of that, their actual debut was a failed pathetic attempt to attack Goku from the back.

Ribrianne was the same and more, they even added her to Heroes and many of the ToP stuff alongside Jiren and Saiyan girls, in the end, she didn't eliminate any major character.

I-It's not like I care about them or anything b-baka! lol but I kinda feel sad for the fans who keep getting their expectations betrayed like this forever.
More like Toei tried fake fans in order to fool fans and get their $$$$, basically they are like the WWE.

If you wants things to change, idk just do a world wide massive complain on their twitter account and main site, do crazy stuff like uploading vids about burning Goku merchandise and tweet to Toei and Toshio. WWE fans did something like that when Bryan was held down and Roman Reigns was being pushed down the fans throats.

Toei depends on merchandise, if merchandise sales decreased they would be force to change imo.
Nah, complaining thro social media is enough for me lol. I have more important things to take care of in my life than doing crazy stuff like that for Chinese cartoons. While I may sound harsh and super angry in some of my posts, it really doesn't mean anything to me more than a tv show, I just state what bothers me here because I grew up with the series and have a strange, special bond to it, so I want to talk about my feelings to it. But I'd never act as if some episode ruined my life or even my day like what some people do. It's not even in my top 20 anime shows, probably.

Also, let's suppose I actually care. I'd never do something that, no matter how much I hate whoever responsible for it. the "burning Goku merchandise" part reminded me of Tokyo Ghoul, I think something similar happened and people tweeted the videos to the author on Twitter. IMO that is disgusting and disrespectful to the person who made the series you enjoyed for years until up until now and childish. When you think about it, that is probably why some authors or game developers don't reveal their faces or true names and that is understandable because there are people THAT crazy out there.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 am

OverHeaven wrote:
Nah, complaining thro social media is enough for me lol. I have more important things to take care of in my life than doing crazy stuff like that for Chinese cartoons. While I may sound harsh and super angry in some of my posts, it really doesn't mean anything to me more than a tv show, I just state what bothers me here because I grew up with the series and have a strange, special bond to it, so I want to talk about my feelings to it. But I'd never act as if some episode ruined my life or even my day like what some people do. It's not even in my top 20 anime shows, probably.

Also, let's suppose I actually care. I'd never do something that, no matter how much I hate whoever responsible for it. the "burning Goku merchandise" part reminded me of Tokyo Ghoul, I think something similar happened and people tweeted the videos to the author on Twitter. IMO that is disgusting and disrespectful to the person who made the series you enjoyed for years until up until now and childish. When you think about it, that is probably why some authors or game developers don't reveal their faces or true names and that is understandable because there are people THAT crazy out there.
A more memorable case was the one in Bleach in 2012, the whole incident with Byakuya, which caused a lot of Bleach fans to harass Kubo on twitter to the point he was forced to do changes to the story.

I'm somehow expecting rage from the casual fans once U6 gets deleted, poor Toshio is going to get blasted to death(even though its not his fault).

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:27 am

VegettoEX wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:You mean like what happened with Naruto and Sasugay? Hopefully not.
This is not an appropriate way to talk here or anywhere else.
Got so used to calling Sasuke as Sasugay I honestly forgot the difference :lol: anyways is name calling a character considered inappropriate now in here? cause users here had name called characters before but never got singled out.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 am

Wow. A lot happened while I was asleep.

RE: New Saiyan lore from Toriyama
- I find it quite cool, to be honest. Yeah, the S-Cells are basically Midichlorians 2.0, but it at least explains why the likes of Goten, Trunks, Cabba, Caulifla and Kale could become Super Saiyans as easily as they did. No harm, no foul. As far as I'm concerned.
- I'm really happy that the Namekian Book of Legends wasn't a throwaway line. It actually has some meaning in terms of lore. Cool beans.
- Everything surrounding Yamoshi sounds incredibly intriguing. I find it very compelling that the Original Super Saiyan, as well as the Original Super Saiyan God, are tied together in some way. I would love to see an OVA or TV special expand on that bit of lore. It could tell a potentially great story.

RE: Spoilers for future episodes
- I'm so sad that Universe 6 are gonna bite the big one in the upcoming episode. I just hope that the Universe 6 Namekians can at least go out with a great battle and have an episode dedicated towards them. I really, really, really hope they are delicate in handling Beerus' reaction to his brother being erased. But given Beerus has beone of the more consistently well written members of the cast, I hold high hopes.
- I hope that Universe 4 getting serious means they'll put up an actual challenge and it's not just hyperbole. But with Universe 7 supposedly losing another member in the episode following that one, I have a bit more confidence that the heavy hitters from the other underutilised universes are going to be coming out of the woodwork to pose a serious threat.
- I think, to put over Universe 4 as credible universe, especially in battle in the final stages of the Tournament Of Power, the show will pull a major shock and have a member from Universe 4 eliminate someone like Gohan or Android 17.