"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 am

It actually makes sense, based on this latest feedback from Ajays DBS-writer, they'd go all out for movies from now on and no longer for a fulltime anime. Definitely if the movies, manga en merchandise of DB currently generate enough profits on their own.
It's extremely timerobbing and demanding to make a topnotch animated DB-series, because of the many fights from which fans each time demand the highest quality. You cannot invest that time and money in other projects.

A movie schedule allows them to write and animate at the highest quality they can offer for DB without getting 'burned out', as Dragon Ball Room-head Iyoku already stated. And invest more in other projects at the same time.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 13, 2020 11:14 am

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 am It actually makes sense, based on this latest feedback from Ajays DBS-writer, they'd go all out for movies from now on and no longer for a fulltime anime. Definitely if the movies, manga en merchandise of DB currently generate enough profits on their own.
It's extremely timerobbing and demanding to make a topnotch animated DB-series, because of the many fights from which fans each time demand the highest quality. You cannot invest that time and money in other projects.

A movie schedule allows them to write and animate at the highest quality they can offer for DB without getting 'burned out', as Dragon Ball Room-head Iyoku already stated. And invest more in other projects at the same time.
Your comment would make sense of Toei ONLY cared about quality. But I don't think that's what will happen. I don't think Toei suddenly has turned into a company only caring about quality.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:33 am

VegettoEX wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:50 am Ultra Instinct was revealed first in Xenoverse 2 ahead of the anime.

The whole “main product” talking point (which I’m probably extremely responsible for?) is completely irrelevant and doesn’t even make sense to bring up with the current state of the franchise’s production. No single version is a complete product and I would wager the rights-holders have no idea what they’re doing or how to handle this unprecedented situation.
I could have sworn we saw the complete UI in Heores first.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 13, 2020 12:32 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:14 am
Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 am It actually makes sense, based on this latest feedback from Ajays DBS-writer, they'd go all out for movies from now on and no longer for a fulltime anime. Definitely if the movies, manga en merchandise of DB currently generate enough profits on their own.

Your comment would make sense of Toei ONLY cared about quality. But I don't think that's what will happen. I don't think Toei suddenly has turned into a company only caring about quality.

I've read plans of a new department in TOEI only dedicated to DB a couple of years ago, i wonder how much of those plans have been pulled through at the end. If there is no department only dedicated to DB ... It's about quantity too. They have other projects and animes to manage, and that may be difficult if DB demands a constant attention from their best animators.

One could argue why they don't re-invest money made with DB in the franchise itself. They seem to use the money as a tent-pole for other projects. At the end of the day, they are of course a company, it's about their money, and they may decide whatever they like.
TOEI however significantly upped the performance in the second half of Super and Broly. They could have gone for even far less and given us a Broly-movie with the Super tv anime- or Heroes-designsheets. It would have sold it as well at the end.

I don't think they've completely forgotten about Dragon Ball, it's their biggest moneymaker. The next thing we get animated that's not a sideproduct like Heroes, i do believe they'll put some effort in it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Mister_Popo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:32 pm

I've read plans of a new department in TOEI only dedicated to DB a couple of years ago, i wonder how much of those plans have been pulled through at the end. If there is no department only dedicated to DB ... It's about quantity too. They have other projects and animes to manage, and that may be difficult if DB demands a constant attention from their best animators.

One could argue why they don't re-invest money made with DB in the franchise itself. They seem to use the money as a tent-pole for other projects. At the end of the day, they are of course a company, it's about their money, and they may decide whatever they like.
TOEI however significantly upped the performance in the second half of Super and Broly. They could have gone for even far less and given us a Broly-movie with the Super tv anime- or Heroes-designsheets. It would have sold it as well at the end.

I don't think they've completely forgotten about Dragon Ball, it's their biggest moneymaker. The next thing we get animated that's not a sideproduct like Heroes, i do believe they'll put some effort in it.
Yes, but I didn't say they wouldn't put in effort. I said they don't ONLY care about quality. So it's very unlikely they'll do super high quality movies only because that's not what will make them the most movies simply because there's too much time between the movies and not as much exposure as with a tv show that is exposed way more, and sells way more toys etc.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 13, 2020 1:49 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Yes, but I didn't say they wouldn't put in effort. I said they don't ONLY care about quality. So it's very unlikely they'll do super high quality movies only because that's not what will make them the most movies simply because there's too much time between the movies and not as much exposure as with a tv show that is exposed way more, and sells way more toys etc.

That's the whole point. It's about choosing the best strategy that works for them. They still have other cattle to feed in Japan.
The franchise may not need the tv-show (which not only costs more money to make than the occasional movie, but more valuable time as well from their best animators) as urgent, in order to keep selling enough toys or games.

I wouldn't at all be surprised, if sales of DB were to make a sudden and deep decline, a complete adaptation of Dragon Quest of 100+ episodes quite suddenly were to be no longer a number one priority. It's not all about quality, it's about what makes the most money for them. And what's the most intresting to invest in at a certain point in time, looking at the market.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 pm

So that's why Digimon have a new anime right now?

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 pm

SSJgogeto wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:14 pm So that's why Digimon have a new anime right now?

It happens a lot with older popular franchises, that there is 4-5 years nothing animated (like with Digimon) and then a reboot or a new series.
The fact DB in extremely popular doesn't mean they will oversaturate and overflow us with new content all the time.
Furthermore they need some time off for creative reoxygenation now and then.
DB just had a brand new series and a movie. They are obviously in a sleeping phase, but presumingly further content is still ahead.
At least in movie format, within the next couple of years. The anime, maybe, we don't know for sure.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed May 13, 2020 3:14 pm

After months of speculation, all we know for sure is that they're working on the next movie and what Ajay shared. Unless there's an announcement this year, we'll have to wait until the manga finishes the Moro saga and see what comes next or see what anime takes Digimon's timeslot once it ends.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pm

I was avoiding this for two months , but I think I'd rather know now.

How much has the pandemic set back the movie and/or Super 2.0?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri May 15, 2020 6:17 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:56 pmHow much has the pandemic set back the movie and/or Super 2.0?
Probably not much, as there was no work being done to begin with. For some reason, the animated side of things have taken a back seat to other shows, such as Digimon and Kitaro.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 am

sangofe wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:05 pm

That is where I think you are mistaken, like I said throughout DBS entire run it sold poorly next to One Piece the marketing department simply didn't care about most things, it's 2020 and there is still no Kale merch the woman that most people on here claimed was only made to "sell toys". Whereas for movie they had guaranteed income of the box office and the production cost would be on off rather on going for a new series. I am not surprised they were thinking this way in 2017.

Movies absolutely makes the most sense going forward, Broly's success proves that. Main DB also is not aimed at kids anymore so it doesn't need a weekly TV show to stay relevant.

Right now DB is making more money with nothing on the air. If this keeps up DB could go years and years without any new material. It is simply creative choice now, if Toei have something then they will produce new content it is as simple as that. I have been saying this ever since Broly and here we are mid 2020 and still no new content.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:06 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 am it's 2020 and there is still no Kale merch the woman that most people on here claimed was only made to "sell toys".
Because Kale bombed as a character in terms of populairty and likely decided to just fully reboot Broly instead.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:06 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:54 am it's 2020 and there is still no Kale merch the woman that most people on here claimed was only made to "sell toys".
Because Kale bombed as a character in terms of populairty and likely decided to just fully reboot Broly instead.
I think Broly was already being worked on before Kale debuted. With that said, her lack of popularity probably plays a factor in the lack of merchandise for her.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 am

Err, Broly was in development before the arc started. Anyway Kale "popularity" is up for debate but that isn't my point (last time I checked U6 girls getting a lot hype in the video games), my point is you had a bunch of people that did no research or knew jack shit about what they were talking about just like you with your Broly comment constantly saying how everything Toei did to sell toys, when the reality was 80% of DBS was left unmarketed, even Vegetto f**king Blue and Goku Black were ignored for practically a year.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:20 am
Err, Broly was in development before the arc started. Anyway Kale "popularity" is up for debate but that isn't my point (last time I checked U6 girls getting a lot hype in the video games), my point is you had a bunch of people that did no research or knew jack shit about what they were talking about just like you with your Broly comment constantly saying how everything Toei did to sell toys, when the reality was 80% of DBS was left unmarketed, even Vegetto f**king Blue and Goku Black were ignored for practically a year.
Whatever. Dokkan Battle announced Vegito Blue the day after the episode aired. Same with UI. They made multiple versions of VB despite only appearing for less than ten minutes. And made millions off of him. And the reason Vegito was even put in was because of fanservice.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 amDB is making more money right now than it ever did on air, it doesn't need to come back. If the manga is going to be adapted it would've been by now.
Interesting, but how?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun May 24, 2020 8:37 pm

Noah wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:19 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:50 amDB is making more money right now than it ever did on air, it doesn't need to come back. If the manga is going to be adapted it would've been by now.
Interesting, but how?
You can see it here and here.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon May 25, 2020 1:24 am

Cool, but I was expecting a proper explanation whether they are profiting more with Heroes, games or other merchandising.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon May 25, 2020 1:30 am

Noah wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:24 am Cool, but I was expecting a proper explanation whether they are profiting more with Heroes, games or other merchandising.
I think it's a mix of the 3. They just announced XV2 has surpassed 6 million copies, Heroes is constantly getting new cards, and there's always new figures being sold and announced.