"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:41 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:20 am

Your point is that Super has trash animation and there are countless shows better than it.

My point is that 1) If it had trash animation, it wouldn't be live-streamed in city centres and 2) If those other shows were so much better animation-wise, why aren't they live-streamed in huge city centres?

As I said, move on from 2015. Super's animation became phenomenal after its first half.
It was streamed because Dragon Ball is iconic as a whole franchise and very popular in South America, I think. The animation didn't become phenomenal except scenes here and there. With your statements I have to question how much you've watched high quality animated series.
Or maybe it was streamed because it genuinely had phenomenal animation, which is not exactly a secret either, it wasn't hard to notice that the animation drastically improved...
Listen. I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan but I know it's never been a master piece. I've also watched a lot of other animes. I really liked the animation, and especially the scene with Goku and Freeza working together, but to say Super had "phenomenal animation" is really to give Toei too much credit. It would be interesting to hear about Latin American fans about the reason why it was streamed publically.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:59 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:38 am
It was streamed because Dragon Ball is iconic as a whole franchise and very popular in South America, I think. The animation didn't become phenomenal except scenes here and there. With your statements I have to question how much you've watched high quality animated series.
Or maybe it was streamed because it genuinely had phenomenal animation, which is not exactly a secret either, it wasn't hard to notice that the animation drastically improved...
Listen. I'm a huge Dragon Ball fan but I know it's never been a master piece. I've also watched a lot of other animes. I really liked the animation, and especially the scene with Goku and Freeza working together, but to say Super had "phenomenal animation" is really to give Toei too much credit. It would be interesting to hear about Latin American fans about the reason why it was streamed publically.
They watched it live because it genuinely had phenomenal animation and a captivating story, there's no other reason, trying to find another one is just being petty. You don't even need to ask the Latin American fans, ep. 109/110 literally broke streaming sites, so it was a world-wide phenomenon.

You claim you're a huge Dragon Ball fan, yet you're very dedicated to denying any of Super's merits and just attributing its popularity to "well, it's part of the DB franchise". Even GT was part of the DB franchise and it doesn't have a fraction of Super's popularity and success. So clearly it's not just that.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:59 am

They watched it live because it genuinely had phenomenal animation and a captivating story, there's no other reason, trying to find another one is just being petty. You don't even need to ask the Latin American fans, ep. 109/110 literally broke streaming sites, so it was a world-wide phenomenon.

You claim you're a huge Dragon Ball fan, yet you're very dedicated to denying any of Super's merits and just attributing its popularity to "well, it's part of the DB franchise". Even GT was part of the DB franchise and it doesn't have a fraction of Super's popularity and success. So clearly it's not just that.
Petty? You should learn to back up your claims with data and fact. I've never denied anything about what was good about Super. It would seem you're feeling attached to super and can't look objectively at the points I made.

And yeah, I'm a huuuuge Dragon Ball fan but I'm not delusional. I bought all DB, dbz, and GT dragon boxes. All the French manga releases. All super French manga releases and all super French BD releases. I really long for a TV show to return. So don't bash and question me as a fan.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:27 am

sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 am

Petty? You should learn to back up your claims with data and fact. I've never denied anything about what was good about Super. It would seem you're feeling attached to super and can't look objectively at the points I made.

And yeah, I'm a huuuuge Dragon Ball fan but I'm not delusional. I bought all DB, dbz, and GT dragon boxes. All the French manga releases. All super French manga releases and all super French BD releases. I really long for a TV show to return. So don't bash and question me as a fan.
I've backed my claims with data and facts since the beginning. Is it not a fact that ep. 130-131 were live-streamed in huge city centres? Is it not a fact that ep. 109/110 were very popular on streaming sites? Is it not a fact that Super improved after ep. 5?

It doesn't matter if you bought all those things, you can claim you're a huge fan all you want, but when you think Super is popular only because it's a DB show, and not because it has actual quality and story (which is your argument, you claimed Super wasn't live-streamed due to its phenomenal animation, but because it's a DB show), then you're pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:55 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:27 am
sangofe wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:15 am

I've backed my claims with data and facts since the beginning. Is it not a fact that ep. 130-131 were live-streamed in huge city centres? Is it not a fact that ep. 109/110 were very popular on streaming sites? Is it not a fact that Super improved after ep. 5?

It doesn't matter if you bought all those things, you can claim you're a huge fan all you want, but when you think Super is popular only because it's a DB show, and not because it has actual quality and story (which is your argument, you claimed Super wasn't live-streamed due to its phenomenal animation, but because it's a DB show), then you're pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.
Where are your data and facts? Show us statements from Latin American fans. (And not numbers from streaming sites because that doesn't nesscarely speak about the quality). Do also show statements from Japanese animators. Then we'd be talking.

I'm sure they were popular on streaming sites. But I'm 100% sure that it wasn't due to phenomenal animation it was streamed. You can't back that claim up with anything. I'm not sure why you're even bothering to take this dicussion further. DB has been around for such a long time and been on TV in so many countries, had countless video games, toys... Of course it's gonna have high numbers. I never said the animation wasn't great, but phenomenal are is a great exaggeration that I don't think I'm alone thinking. For a DB animation I'd agree it was phenomenal, but not compared to really greatly animated shows.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:27 amI've backed my claims with data and facts since the beginning. Is it not a fact that ep. 130-131 were live-streamed in huge city centres? Is it not a fact that ep. 109/110 were very popular on streaming sites? Is it not a fact that Super improved after ep. 5?

I think that argument is a little disingenuous. Toei said the last few episodes went over their budget and had double the frames per episodes. The rest of DBS's animation quality might be considered average to below average by today's standards at best aside from those few episodes. You can still be a fan while acknowledging what the producers themselves have said.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:04 pm

The overall animation quality is still variable and Super is not an animated masterpiece overall.
I think that's pretty much undebatable.

I do however think there was a susbtantial improvement in overall quality during the latter arcs.
I remember there were a lot of epsiodes during Tournament of Power during which i thought 'damn, we came from far compared to the first arcs'. One should watch the first two arcs and then immediately skip to Tournament of Power, after the recruitment is finished, from were the real fights start. The difference is very noticable overall, even apart from those very special episodes with above average framerates.
There were still a number of 'lesser animated episodes' too.

If Super on day would return, it probably will have a lot more stable quality in terms of animation, due to better scheduling.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:28 pm

Even the better episodes were still being made by the skin-of-their-teeth and with next to no animators, all working off of really awkward character designs that they were forced to stick to so as to appease Bandai for merchandizing purposes. It's my hope that if the series uses Shintani/Takara as the character designer going forward then this will at least mean for creative freedom in the character designs.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:08 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:11 amIt'll be pretty difficult to replace Nozawa, I mean I know they'll eventually have to some day - hopefully years from now - but I agree, they should get moving and at least finish this up with our classic cast while most of them are still here and able to play the roles.
You know at first I was thinking like "nah, I'm sure they will be fine" as that are many seiyuu that could do Goku, but then I was thinking only about "serious Goku", now I can't picture one that could do "cheerful/goofy Goku", damn... It's gonna be a sad day when Nozawa leave us.
Matches Malone wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:17 pmI know this will never happen, but I'd LOVE to see the first "season" of Super remade with the Broly movie style and animation:
A remake in that style with improved writing and pacing would be great. Other anime have gotten remakes in the past, so it's not impossible, although I do agree it's unlikely.

You mean like Dragon Ball Super Kai? Pretty unlikely :lol:

Not even Kai was a remake (when it should have been) I doubt Super will have a threatment that not even the original series got.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:34 am

Is this old?

https://twitter.com/Eli_bebe_dbz1/statu ... 05474.html

TOEI at anime japan 2021 (27-31 March)
New project? A sequel? New movie?
We'll see, never say never.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:35 am

Gt91 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:34 am Is this old?

https://twitter.com/Eli_bebe_dbz1/statu ... 3997025282

TOEI at anime japan 2021 (27-31 March)
New project? A sequel? New movie?
We'll see, never say never.
I wouldn't exactly call it old, the exhibition hasn't even happened yet.
What the tweet says is right, Dragon Ball Super is listed on Toei's lineup for the anime exhibition at AnimeJapan 2021 next weekend. But unlike Digimon, Dragon Quest and World Trigger, it doesn't get specifically mentioned in the text, it's just there under the "etc." portion of the lineup (which also includes Precure, a Precure movie, and Saint Seiya). Personally I interpret that as a major announcement being pretty unlikely. Though it's not impossible, I guess.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm

It seems the 2020 Digimon series is entering its climax according to this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lQKbNc2uA

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 am

YamiGoku wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm It seems the 2020 Digimon series is entering its climax according to this trailer:

Yes. it's confirmed to have 66 episodes and this week will air episode 40. Another Toei anime will have to replace it this year but still no confirmation of which one will be.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 am

Am I the only one not reading the manga in hope of watching the anime without knowing the story details?

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:16 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 am Am I the only one not reading the manga in hope of watching the anime without knowing the story details?
Really? At this point it would be kind of foolish to not catch up with the manga
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:56 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 am Am I the only one not reading the manga in hope of watching the anime without knowing the story details?
Huh, pretty sure that's what the vast majority of people do while waiting for more animated content, whatever the series might be.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 am
YamiGoku wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm It seems the 2020 Digimon series is entering its climax according to this trailer:

Yes. it's confirmed to have 66 episodes and this week will air episode 40. Another Toei anime will have to replace it this year but still no confirmation of which one will be.

I'm always the big sceptic when it comes to the animes return.
Let's throw in a positive note for a change ... As long as Digimons successor isn't announced, there always remains a minor possibility. :mrgreen:
I just don't want to encourage people to bring their hopes up too high to avoid disappointment, which has been the case numerous times in recent years.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 amYes. it's confirmed to Digimon have 66 episodes and this week will air episode 40. Another Toei anime will have to replace it this year but still no confirmation of which one will be.
Are you kidding? Its obvious that the anime coming after Adventure is Zero Two, also Toei has plans to do remakes with Tamers and Frontier. So to be optimistic, we might get DBS anime back around 2025.
Well, yes? Because when we get a new animated series it will start at Broly arc and also we don't have guarantee that Toei will do Moro or Granola stuff cause they are Toyotaro-only. They probably will go their own way with DB, which I think is a better path to follow.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Noah wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 amYes. it's confirmed to Digimon have 66 episodes and this week will air episode 40. Another Toei anime will have to replace it this year but still no confirmation of which one will be.
Are you kidding? Its obvious that the anime coming after Adventure is Zero Two, also Toei has plans to do remakes with Tamers and Frontier. So to be optimistic, we might get DBS anime back around 2025.
Well, yes? Because when we get a new animated series it will start at Broly arc and also we don't have guarantee that Toei will do Moro or Granola stuff cause they are Toyotaro-only. They probably will go their own way with DB, which I think is a better path to follow.
There’s literally no way they will skip over Moro and Granola if anime comes back because they are ‘Toyotaro only’ also current arc is toriyama outline or recall somewhere mentioning his involvement.

Especially when they essentially outline the new primary goal for Goku to strive towards.

It is odd to think that it ended three years ago and that discounting the recaps we only got three animated arcs one of which was barely an arc.

I mean with this big surplus of chapters there is a clear map for toei to follow with the potential to slightly tweak things fans disliked with the manga.

There’s a lot of moments which will be amazing to see animated.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:03 am

Krillin1994 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:19 pm
Noah wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:53 pm
There’s literally no way they will skip over Moro and Granola if anime comes back because they are ‘Toyotaro only’ also current arc is toriyama outline or recall somewhere mentioning his involvement.

Especially when they essentially outline the new primary goal for Goku to strive towards.

It is odd to think that it ended three years ago and that discounting the recaps we only got three animated arcs one of which was barely an arc.

I mean with this big surplus of chapters there is a clear map for toei to follow with the potential to slightly tweak things fans disliked with the manga.

There’s a lot of moments which will be amazing to see animated.
There's no logical reason for Toei not to adapt the manga storyline. Absolutely no reason.