"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:53 am

emperior wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:08 am
JulieYBM wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:56 pm
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm They could pull a Demon Slayer and just edit the Broly film into 8-10 episodes. If they do decide to do that, I hope that they add a lot more to it by adapting Toriyama's complete screenplay. It is weird how both BoG and 'F' got extended cuts but Broly didn't, so maybe this could be their way of doing it?
Boruto did the same thing!

My hope is that they replace the CG with new hand drawn fights, too!
Could they even do such a thing?

I would love for it to happen, especially if we could get the scenes which did not make it to the movie, as well as potentially some new scene here and there.

They would also “buy” some time to produce newer episodes, as they wait for the staff to free up from other projects.

I am not counting on it happening though. If they were to retell Broly, then they would most likely also have to do Moro and Granolah, and then animate SUPER HERO in 2D and I just can’t see it happening. I think it’s more likely that they will want to get out the new show with a fresh new story right from the beginning.
Why not do moro and granolah?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 am

Also I hope they remove the filler/slice of life, I'm not interested in watching Satan cosplay as Beerus or some filler nonsense like that.

You know it's funny, now that I think about it, DBS was pretty boring/underwhelming until Goku Black appeared (or at least until Goku used Kaioken against Hit) :think: You could skip everything that came before and nothing of value would be lost...

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:07 am

SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 am Also I hope they remove the filler/slice of life, I'm not interested in watching Satan cosplay as Beerus or some filler nonsense like that.

You know it's funny, now that I think about it, DBS was pretty boring/underwhelming until Goku Black appeared (or at least until Goku used Kaioken against Hit) :think: You could skip everything that came before and nothing of value would be lost...
I wouldn't say the tournament with U6 was "unnecessary", but the episodes preceding it and the Copy Vegeta arc could definitely be glossed over.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:22 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:07 am
SupremeKai25 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:57 am Also I hope they remove the filler/slice of life, I'm not interested in watching Satan cosplay as Beerus or some filler nonsense like that.

I wouldn't say the tournament with U6 was "unnecessary", but the episodes preceding it and the Copy Vegeta arc could definitely be glossed over.

Except for copy vegeta I absolutely loved the fillers in Super.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:53 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:07 am

What I mean by that is that you're not missing any crazy action or crazy fight that is worth watching.

BoG and RoF are way better as movies anyway.

Then there are filler slice of life episodes.

Then all the fights in the U6 are very underwhelming, if not storywise then definitely animation-wise. Aside from Goku vs. Hit.

And even storywise most of those fights are skippable anyway. Goku vs. Botamo adds no story. Vegeta vs. the robot adds no story. Vegeta vs. Frost exposes Frost as scum but since he's a minor character it's not that important. And Vegeta vs. Cabba added that Planet Sadala bit that maybe should have just been left out, since people obsess over visiting Planet Sadala because that fight hinted at that kind of arc :roll:

I watched those episodes because at the time I did not know how this would end. But in retrospect the writers failed to make me care about these U6 characters.

Jinto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jinto » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:35 pm

Imagine all this hype for them to announce another Super DBHeroes arc or an OAV :lol:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:52 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm They could pull a Demon Slayer and just edit the Broly film into 8-10 episodes. If they do decide to do that, I hope that they add a lot more to it by adapting Toriyama's complete screenplay. It is weird how both BoG and 'F' got extended cuts but Broly didn't, so maybe this could be their way of doing it?

I would love for it to happen, especially if we could get the scenes which did not make it to the movie, as well as potentially some new scene here and there.

They would also “buy” some time to produce newer episodes, as they wait for the staff to free up from other projects.

I am not counting on it happening though. If they were to retell Broly, then they would most likely also have to do Moro and Granolah, and then animate SUPER HERO in 2D and I just can’t see it happening. I think it’s more likely that they will want to get out the new show with a fresh new story right from the beginning.
Moro and Granolah are basically free content for the anime, games and merch and a 2D Super Hero would give people not happy about it being CG a version of the story to enjoy.
Plus with Toriyama being so involved in Granolah I don’t think they’d want to skip it, especially since stuff from that arc could come up again in the future. Namekian lore, the new set of DB’s, Ultra Ego, Granolah himself, etc. Moro also provides a nice explanation for Goku mastering UI as well.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:52 pm

Moro and Granolah are basically free content for the anime, games and merch and a 2D Super Hero would give people not happy about it being CG a version of the story to enjoy.
Plus with Toriyama being so involved in Granolah I don’t think they’d want to skip it, especially since stuff from that arc could come up again in the future. Namekian lore, the new set of DB’s, Ultra Ego, Granolah himself, etc. Moro also provides a nice explanation for Goku mastering UI as well.
Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see Moro and Granolah animated - they already have the stories written down and storyboarded! It’s just that maybe they will want to start the show with a brand new story, and the Granolah arc ending soon might be hinting that it is the case, if they want to promote the new anime in the same way they did back in 2015 (fuck, I can’t believe it has already been 7 years!).
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:54 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 pm Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see Moro and Granolah animated - they already have the stories written down and storyboarded! It’s just that maybe they will want to start the show with a brand new story, and the Granolah arc ending soon might be hinting that it is the case, if they want to promote the new anime in the same way they did back in 2015 (fuck, I can’t believe it has already been 7 years!).
I was thinking they could use the new arc in the manga as a sort of tease for the future and then the anime could speed through Broly, Moro, Granolah and Super Hero in like 55-60 episodes.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:51 pm

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm They could pull a Demon Slayer and just edit the Broly film into 8-10 episodes. If they do decide to do that, I hope that they add a lot more to it by adapting Toriyama's complete screenplay.
That's what they should've done with BOG and ROF arcs. With the already poor pre-production It was suicidal to still remake those two stories from scratch. Just break down the movie into episodes and add some scenes if necessary to make the story flow better
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm

ArchedThunder wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:54 pm
emperior wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:39 pm Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see Moro and Granolah animated - they already have the stories written down and storyboarded! It’s just that maybe they will want to start the show with a brand new story, and the Granolah arc ending soon might be hinting that it is the case, if they want to promote the new anime in the same way they did back in 2015 (fuck, I can’t believe it has already been 7 years!).
I was thinking they could use the new arc in the manga as a sort of tease for the future and then the anime could speed through Broly, Moro, Granolah and Super Hero in like 55-60 episodes.
That would be a whole year of old content, though. It doesn’t matter if some fans didn’t read the manga or watch the movies, those stories won’t be novel and people will be spoiled or will spoil themselves out of curiosity.

I honestly don’t think that would be a winning strategy. Super, aside from the abysmal initial animation, truly only gained momentum when the U6 arc began. That arc’s animation also wasn’t great, in fact the Battle of Gods retelling aside from episode 5 was better animated, so that momentum can’t be ascribed to any factor other than “new story”.

I would beat on the iron while it’s hot, but I acknowledge that they aren’t exactly the brightest, as waiting 4 years after Broly to release the next movie, despite Toriyama having already written the story many years ago, wasn’t exactly what I would call a bright move, yet here we are. The only way I would excuse it is if they actually were working much more on a new anime serie behind the scene, and decided to hold back for the movie production to release it a few months before the new show, to spark up some hype once again and regain some of the momentum, which they all lost.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:17 pm

emperior wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm
ArchedThunder wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:54 pm
That would be a whole year of old content, though. It doesn’t matter if some fans didn’t read the manga or watch the movies, those stories won’t be novel and people will be spoiled or will spoil themselves out of curiosity.

I honestly don’t think that would be a winning strategy. Super, aside from the abysmal initial animation, truly only gained momentum when the U6 arc began. That arc’s animation also wasn’t great, in fact the Battle of Gods retelling aside from episode 5 was better animated, so that momentum can’t be ascribed to any factor other than “new story”.

I would beat on the iron while it’s hot, but I acknowledge that they aren’t exactly the brightest, as waiting 4 years after Broly to release the next movie, despite Toriyama having already written the story many years ago, wasn’t exactly what I would call a bright move, yet here we are. The only way I would excuse it is if they actually were working much more on a new anime serie behind the scene, and decided to hold back for the movie production to release it a few months before the new show, to spark up some hype once again and regain some of the momentum, which they all lost.
It’s not like adapting manga arcs hurts other anime. Most of the biggest anime are direct adaptations of manga.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:01 am

The whole series in boxset will soon be available on blu ray in Japan (gotta wonder why so late but it's surely to correlate with the new movie) :
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_825.html

https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_753.html

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:47 pm

I've been out of the loop for a while so I don't know if I'm beating a dead horse here but do we finally know why the possible return of Super is still such a mystery? Toyotarou has said 2-3 years ago he cannot comment on the continuation of the anime.

Is Toei always this secretive about their property? Are they testing the waters with the 2 Super movies to see which animation style they want to continue the series with?

If the series does return then I see an issue. The 2 movies are under the Super brand and I think that if the anime returns they will probably have to continue the story off the upcoming movie. I think this simply because while it would make sense to animate the 2 manga arcs after Broly, I feel it would be even more confusing to go from Age 783, which Super Hero is set in, to the past...don't you think? I know they had no issue going back in time when Super initially began after BoG had hit theatres but BoG was part of Z branding.

I really think it was an odd move to have the series go on hiatus at its height of popularity in 2018...

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:08 pm

It will come back when all the parties involved with the franchise are ready for it to. That's really all there is to it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:25 pm

Avery wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 am UUURGH! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST GROW UP?!!.
To think that this was posted in 2015, and look where we are now. Boy, oh boy, did this age well.
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

KentMan
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by KentMan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:49 am

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:25 pm
Avery wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:12 am UUURGH! WHY CAN'T YOU JUST GROW UP?!!.
To think that this was posted in 2015, and look where we are now. Boy, oh boy, did this age well.
Not really since this was gonna happen I don’t get what people are celebrating about

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:46 am

The Granolah arc should be ending by the time the movie airs and the fact that this is a Gohan-centric movie seems to be pointing toward the idea that whether Goku and Vegeta have UI and UE respectively will remain vague enough so that both anime fans and manga fans can enjoy the movie.

I think this points toward the manga arcs being adapted at some point if Goku and Vegeta don't fight at full power this movie.

KentMan
Banned

Post by KentMan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:37 pm

Yuji wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:46 am The Granolah arc should be ending by the time the movie airs and the fact that this is a Gohan-centric movie seems to be pointing toward the idea that whether Goku and Vegeta have UI and UE respectively will remain vague enough so that both anime fans and manga fans can enjoy the movie.

I think this points toward the manga arcs being adapted at some point if Goku and Vegeta don't fight at full power this movie.
That remains to be seen since we weren’t given a lot of info thanks to everyone fawning over an umbrella. Instead of at least giving a full trailer like they should have done.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:53 am

Assuming they intend on adapting the movies and the manga arcs, it would be a lot of episodes before any new content.

8-12 for Broly
12 for Moro
8-12 for Granolah
8-12 for Superhero