"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kinokima
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Kinokima » Fri May 07, 2021 1:57 pm

This is such great new for the franchise. Something to look forward to. And we will have constant news and new merchandise.

Was having a bad day but this news made it a bit better

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri May 07, 2021 2:03 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:50 pm Is this because of the Kimetsu movie?
Probably but i doubt they are tryna go for the all time anime movie record its more likey the they want that #3 spot back in the US which is silly because DBS Broly is still in the top 5 grossing anime movies of all time in the US.

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Fri May 07, 2021 2:13 pm

Not gonna lie, I was expecting a new anime, but a movie is algo good.

By the way, we don't know yet which anime will replace Digimon, right? I wonder when Toei will announce it.

ObnoxiousNamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ObnoxiousNamek » Fri May 07, 2021 2:29 pm

As Long as we get Nagamine, Yuya Takahashi, & Shintani back I'm good

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:31 pm

Great news! Maybe something after the current manga arc? 2 days left!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri May 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Hopefully they actually provide something substantial, I expect a tease but with a little bit more of context this time, just so we can either get really happy or really sad beforehand.

I couldn't quite made heads or tails when Dragon Ball Super Broly was announced, so give me something to either be very excited or to completely skip over all this right off the bat.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri May 07, 2021 7:39 pm

As far as I see it, there's zero chance this movie will adapt the Moro arc. My guess is something with low stakes or Broly 2. Thinking wishfully, maybe they'll time it so the Granolla arc ends when the movie comes out.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 pm

Not gonna lie. Not excited by this. We've known for long anyway.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 am

Don't know if it is fake, but...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat May 08, 2021 10:40 am

Noah wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:35 am Don't know if it is fake, but...
We are talking about it here

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=46277

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am

We shouldn't really keep creating threads without official confirmation/proper announcement, though.

Then again, even if it's "confirmed" this time around, it'd be pretty hilarious if they decide to postpone or not even announce anything because it leaked. :lol:

I'm all for a new game announcement, though. That'd be a win for me.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Sat May 08, 2021 4:11 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am We shouldn't really keep creating threads without official confirmation/proper announcement, though.

Then again, even if it's "confirmed" this time around, it'd be pretty hilarious if they decide to postpone or not even announce anything because it leaked. :lol:

I'm all for a new game announcement, though. That'd be a win for me.
Same here. We still dont' have an announcement for this year. I hope to see XV3.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Mon May 10, 2021 5:02 pm

I'm still hoping Super returns to TV in the fall. I do know iirc, that the TV & Movie departments for Dragon Ball are seperate? Toei restructured so Dragon Ball would have its own department. I heard it was rumoured that Toei wanted Dragon Ball to have a weekly Television show and movies such as One Piece.
We still have no idea what is replacing Digimon, assuming it still finishes in the fall. If they were going to announce TV, they wouldn't until the Summer, as Toei don't announce new shows for the Sunday morning Fuji TV slot until the cour before it is due to start.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 10, 2021 5:53 pm

I'd be happy to see dbs return to the weekly tv series format this fall, but we've been let down so many times before--are there any other animated shonen Toei shows celebrating anniversaries this year that don't have an animated series currently running?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm

Chuquita wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:53 pm I'd be happy to see dbs return to the weekly tv series format this fall, but we've been let down so many times before--are there any other animated shonen Toei shows celebrating anniversaries this year that don't have an animated series currently running?
I don't know off-hand but it's also entirely possible that they just keep Digimon running. I have no clue what they're going to do here, short of air more Digimon, air Super Dragon Ball Heroes reruns or try tondo a Kai for DB.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BagetaSama
Beyond Newbie

Post by BagetaSama » Mon May 10, 2021 7:51 pm

I'm pissed at this point. We knew that DBS would be coming back eventually, and to me, a movie that seems to be completely irrespective of the continuation of the story with Moro and Granolah, is the worst case scenario. I'd much rather just get the Moro arc, in anime form, with the Dragon Room/Toei staff giving their own spin on the story in the same way that the anime/manga have differences in the ToP/Goku Black arcs. Instead of getting the Moro arc in anime form, it seems like we're just gonna get some fan service movie bullshit.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 10, 2021 10:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:15 pm
Chuquita wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:53 pm I'd be happy to see dbs return to the weekly tv series format this fall, but we've been let down so many times before--are there any other animated shonen Toei shows celebrating anniversaries this year that don't have an animated series currently running?
I don't know off-hand but it's also entirely possible that they just keep Digimon running. I have no clue what they're going to do here, short of air more Digimon, air Super Dragon Ball Heroes reruns or try tondo a Kai for DB.
Kitaro continued longer than it was supposed to, so I could see Digimon doing the same. I decided to do some research and found World Trigger starts back up in the fall https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... er/.171207 (but airs on TV Asahi instead of FujiTV). They've done Saint Seiya stuff recently so I wouldn't guess that. It's been a while since Toei's done something Kinnikuman. Slam Dunk's getting a movie from Toei https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... lm/.168175 so it's not that. Cyborg 009 had a movie back in 2016. Any new Shonen Jump property I'd think would've been announced at last year's Jump Festa or somewhere like that if it were going to get a TV series from Toei this fall. If they continue doing Digimon and they reach the end, they could probably redo the other Digimon series right after it to continue.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 pm

Don't know if anyone's posted this elsewhere on the site, but...
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_106.html
There's an interview on the official Dragon Ball website with a Toei Philippines animator; Florence Jay Dominguito.

What's interesting is that during the end of the interview he's asked what hopes and expectations he has for the future of the franchise, to which he answers:
"As a fan, I'm really looking forward to new movies and merchandise. I'm also excited about the new anime that will continue Dragon Ball Super."

Now, this could mean anything. It could even be a translation error. I'll even add the Japanese quote if anyone is fluent.
"ファンとしては『ドラゴンボール』の新しい映画や新商品を楽しみにしています。『ドラゴンボール超』に続く、新しいTVアニメがあるのかも楽しみです。"

Chances are he probably doesn't know if the anime will return and is only hoping that it comes back. But the way it's worded makes me hopeful.

If it does come back, I'm gonna guess and say that it'll return in October and replace Digimon. It makes the most sense since we'll have a weekly series to build up hype for the upcoming movie. Having a movie without an anime backing it up could probably see less success than Broly. Sure, BoG and 'F' released without an anime (technically 'F' had Kai but I don't think that counts) but those movies didn't make anywhere near as much as Broly. Following up soon after the show's climax was a good call, as it got fans eager to see what's next. It's been so long since we've gotten anything that I feel that some people may have lost interest, so having the anime return before the movie releases makes a lot of sense.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Thu May 13, 2021 12:51 am

Geekdom and Forneverworld are running with that news, and I really can't blame them even though as you said it could be a miss quote though I definitely hope it true!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 13, 2021 3:01 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:58 pm Don't know if anyone's posted this elsewhere on the site, but...
https://en.dragon-ball-official.com/news/01_106.html
There's an interview on the official Dragon Ball website with a Toei Philippines animator; Florence Jay Dominguito.

What's interesting is that during the end of the interview he's asked what hopes and expectations he has for the future of the franchise, to which he answers:
"As a fan, I'm really looking forward to new movies and merchandise. I'm also excited about the new anime that will continue Dragon Ball Super."

Now, this could mean anything. It could even be a translation error. I'll even add the Japanese quote if anyone is fluent.
"ファンとしては『ドラゴンボール』の新しい映画や新商品を楽しみにしています。『ドラゴンボール超』に続く、新しいTVアニメがあるのかも楽しみです。"

Chances are he probably doesn't know if the anime will return and is only hoping that it comes back. But the way it's worded makes me hopeful.

If it does come back, I'm gonna guess and say that it'll return in October and replace Digimon. It makes the most sense since we'll have a weekly series to build up hype for the upcoming movie. Having a movie without an anime backing it up could probably see less success than Broly. Sure, BoG and 'F' released without an anime (technically 'F' had Kai but I don't think that counts) but those movies didn't make anywhere near as much as Broly. Following up soon after the show's climax was a good call, as it got fans eager to see what's next. It's been so long since we've gotten anything that I feel that some people may have lost interest, so having the anime return before the movie releases makes a lot of sense.
I read in the comments of geekdom that there's a translation error. Supposedly it's said "I'm excited for the possible return of the anime".