"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16458
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:49 am

Bonus Stage wrote:It's real or fake?

I heard that it is official (guide?)...
In no guide I've ever seen, and I basically own them all. The blue-haired form is just Toriyama's sketch as-is from Revival of "F", and the others all seem to be edits of that.

Image
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Noah » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:54 am

alakazam^ wrote:14 - During their battle, SSG Goku has an unexpected change.
Wow, what it might be? Maybe they'll fix that Super Saiyan GOD is not really a permanent form?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Bonus Stage wrote:It's real or fake?

Image
Fake.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Noah wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:14 - During their battle, SSG Goku has an unexpected change.
Wow, what it might be? Maybe they'll fix that Super Saiyan GOD is not really a permanent form?
Oh God, it may be that :? I thought it'd be SSGSS.

Bonus Stage
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 am

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Bonus Stage » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Herms wrote: Fake.
Thank you, VegettoEX and Herms.
I try to find out the author of "fanart".

Many people are saying that this image is real and i can't prove that the image is fake.

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7760
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:14 - During their battle, SSG Goku has an unexpected change.
Wow, what it might be? Maybe they'll fix that Super Saiyan GOD is not really a permanent form?
Oh God, it may be that :? I thought it'd be SSGSS.
i think it'll be SSGSS, I mean what other options are there?
They are not going to introduce yet another form and obviously it has to fit in with RoF, so it's SSGSS or admittedly there is the option of changing it to Goku's base form to line it up with "Saiyan Beyond God."
That's what seems to be presented in all relevant RoF media, that doesn't come from Toriyama and it seems to line up with that game, that has Whis talk about how Goku can achieve a form greater than Super Saiyan God(SSGSS).
So basically:

SSGod < SBG < SSGSS.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3479
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by LightBing » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Pretty glad that Kuririn, Mr Satan, Pan and Jaco will have the spotlight for a bit. Curious how they will handle the birth of Pan, hopefully it will be sweet with Chi-Chi and Mr Satan participating. Goku part will probably be "she looks strong and healthy Gohan"; with a face deprived of emotion.

They better introduce Jaco properly, not everyone read the manga. Inserting him out of the blue, would leave me very disappointed. Great opportunity for some Jaco filler adventures, from the perspective of the alien himself.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote:i think it'll be SSGSS, I mean what other options are there?
They are not going to introduce yet another form and obviously it has to fit in with RoF, so it's SSGSS or admittedly there is the option of changing it to Goku's base form to line it up with "Saiyan Beyond God."
That's what seems to be presented in all relevant RoF media, that doesn't come from Toriyama and it seems to line up with that game, that has Whis talk about how Goku can achieve a form greater than Super Saiyan God(SSGSS).
So basically:

SSGod < SBG < SSGSS.
It may be what Noah said, that Goku would lose the God power-up just like in Battle of Gods.

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Herms » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:28 pm

I posted these on Twitter, but I guess I might as well put my summary translations up here too. They're hardly any different than what alakazam^ already posted.

13: "Super Saiyan God Son Goku and Beerus' super-fierce fight gets more and more intense!!"
14: "During his battle with Beerus, an unexpected change happens to Goku, who had been a Super Saiyan God...!?"
15: "After the battle with Beerus wraps up, a terrible visitor comes to Satan!?"
16: "With the battle over, one day Kuririn visits Goku. His unexpected request is...!?"
17: "Some time has passed on Earth. Gohan and Videl's daughter is finally born!!"
18: "Goku departs Earth and begins training under Whis. The surprising training method is...!?"
19: "Goku throws himself into training under Whis. Meanwhile in Hell, you-know-who suffers intense torment."
20: "An unprecedented threat bears down on Earth!! At this time, an old friend comes to visit Bulma...!?"
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by irreality » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:37 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Noah wrote:
alakazam^ wrote:14 - During their battle, SSG Goku has an unexpected change.
Wow, what it might be? Maybe they'll fix that Super Saiyan GOD is not really a permanent form?
Oh God, it may be that :? I thought it'd be SSGSS.
It could be both. He drops out of SSG, and when he tries to transform into SSJ again, he gets SSGSS. Which is what I think makes logical sense to have happened in BoG in retrospect, but given that form didn't exist when they made the movie, maybe they will fix it now.

User avatar
fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5137
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm
Location: New York

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Herms wrote:I posted these on Twitter, but I guess I might as well put my summary translations up here too. They're hardly any different than what alakazam^ already posted.

13: "Super Saiyan God Son Goku and Beerus' super-fierce fight gets more and more intense!!"
14: "During his battle with Beerus, an unexpected change happens to Goku, who had been a Super Saiyan God...!?"
15: "After the battle with Beerus wraps up, a terrible visitor comes to Satan!?"
16: "With the battle over, one day Kuririn visits Goku. His unexpected request is...!?"
17: "Some time has passed on Earth. Gohan and Videl's daughter is finally born!!"
18: "Goku departs Earth and begins training under Whis. The surprising training method is...!?"
19: "Goku throws himself into training under Whis. Meanwhile in Hell, you-know-who suffers intense torment."
20: "An unprecedented threat bears down on Earth!! At this time, an old friend comes to visit Bulma...!?"
Seems like mostly downtime episodes (i.e. no Champa), as usual.

Given how Super is, I see it doing a good job at coming up with appropriately ridiculous training regimes though. I'm excited to see more Whis on-screen. <3
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by alakazam^ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:51 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
I guess Avo and Cado can still come (and be the first wave of Freeza's invasion) following Tarble but they aren't a threat so...
But weren't Abo and Cado said to be on Freeza's level? I think that would make more sense than Shisame and Tagoma, merely being "on-par with Zarbon and Dodoria".
Yes but Tarble could be referring to first form Freeza, for all we know. Even if he wasn't, Piccolo could still take them both as well.

What's noteworthy is that, if episode 19 and 20 refer to Freeza (which they probably do), it means he'll be revived in one episode and come to Earth the next one. So, no training montage. Or maybe the Jaco stuff doesn't take too long and they manage to show us some bits of the training but I'm not that hopeful.

About the Vegeta training with Whis thing, I totally agree it not being mentioned in the summaries proves nothing BUT they specifically saying that Goku leaves Earth to train with him is a giant red flag that he goes alone because it's (one of) the focus of the episode and there's no reason to omit Vegeta's name. If Goku goes alone and Vegeta finds out about it and wants to go as well, I'd imagine they'd devote an entire episode for that but judging from the summaries, there's no time for that because we'll be getting Freeza stuff. So, my bet is that Vegeta doesn't go but we'll see.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:52 pm

alakazam^ wrote:It seems Vegeta isn't training with Whis by the time Freeza attacks... that's interesting.
I know they probably won't do this but it'll be interesting if they keep Goku out of the arc and leave Freeza&his men to Vegeta and the rest of the Z fighters.

Vegeta could battle 4th form Freeza as a Ssj2/3 then when Freeza transforms Vegeta does the ritual with Gohan,Goten,Trunks,Pan&Bulma who's pregnant and fights him as a normal Ssjg.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:52 pm

It looks like episode 20 is Sorbet and Tagoma gathering the Dragon Balls while Jaco comes to Earth early for some reason.

It doesn't make sense to be Freeza's invasion just yet considering he was in Hell in episode #19, he has to get resurrected, has to train and what-not and they can't do it all from episode 19 to 20.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by sintzu » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Doctor. wrote: It doesn't make sense to be Freeza's invasion just yet considering he was in Hell in episode #19, he has to get resurrected, has to train and what-not and they can't do it all from episode 19 to 20.
He can get resurrected in the 1st half of ep20 then after the break they can have the announcer say that 4 months have passed since then and have the episode end with him arriving on earth.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:21 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
I guess Avo and Cado can still come (and be the first wave of Freeza's invasion) following Tarble but they aren't a threat so...
But weren't Abo and Cado said to be on Freeza's level? I think that would make more sense than Shisame and Tagoma, merely being "on-par with Zarbon and Dodoria".
Yes but Tarble could be referring to first form Freeza, for all we know. Even if he wasn't, Piccolo could still take them both as well.
Even still, First Form Freeza is leagues above Zarbon and Dodoria. Still nothing by Piccolo's level by now, you're right. But Piccolo's been fighting hundreds of goons and he's fairly worked up by the time he fights Shisame. But the power level of even Zarbon in his monster form should still be nothing to even ab exhausted Piccolo. At least someone as strong as First Form Freeza might give a better explanation as to why Piccolo is having a bit of a hard time.

User avatar
Araki
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 am

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Araki » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:29 pm

alakazam^ wrote: 16 - One day, Kuririn goes to visit Goku. His surprising request is...?
This one got me intrigued. What would be "surprising"? Maybe Kuririn was disappointed for not doing anything at all against Beerus and will ask for Goku to train him a little?
He said he was retired, but we know by the time Freeza arrives he won't be anymore.
alakazam^ wrote:About the Vegeta training with Whis thing, I totally agree it not being mentioned in the summaries proves nothing BUT they specifically saying that Goku leaves Earth to train with him is a giant red flag that he goes alone because it's (one of) the focus of the episode and there's no reason to omit Vegeta's name. If Goku goes alone and Vegeta finds out about it and wants to go as well, I'd imagine they'd devote an entire episode for that but judging from the summaries, there's no time for that because we'll be getting Freeza stuff. So, my bet is that Vegeta doesn't go but we'll see.
We know 16 is titled "Vegeta becomes a disciple". What if Vegeta gets there BEFORE Goku? That is why it wouldn't mention him alongside Goku.

I think Satan's "terrible visitor" in episode 15 will be Whis, as we know Satan is bribing him and offering food to stop the fight. Then Whis goes after his payment, once the crisis is over. Maybe that's when Vegeta meets him, leading to the events in episode 16. Just a theory, but nothing far-fetched.

Zetto wrote:What Dragon Ball ending isn't a chill or a love song?
Yeah, i'd love to have the internet when Romantic Ageru Yo was around, because it was so fitting. Or seeing fan reception to Zenkai Power :lol:
I can't remember a single DB/Z/GT ending that "featured action", unless it was stills. That's not what ending sequences are known for, anyway.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14010
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:59 pm

I look forward to the episode of Pan. I guess everyone is going to expect Pan to be a boy and end up being surprise that they have a girl instead. It will be like Lion King 2 all over again :lol:
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by irreality » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Oh gosh… I really dislike Zenkai Power. I think Romantic Ageru yo and Bokutachi no Tenshi Datta are both very romantic but fit very well as Dragon Ball endings. When I heard the ending song I thought it sounds fitting as an ending -- but I'll have to see what the animation does with it to render a final verdict.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14010
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:12 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Captain Space wrote:Man, that just reminded me of how irritated the Toriko anime made me...the manga was so gooood...
It's frustrating when you get less popular series getting top notch treatment:

Gintama - Sunrise
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Bones
Hunter x Hunter 2011 - Madhouse

Beautiful adaptations. People would think that Super, the new anime after 18 years from the most famous anime series worlwide, would get all the best.

HunterxHunter 2011 and Gintama are long shows. What the staff did with them deserves all the praise they can get. Its a feat.
I'm also proud of Dragon Ball series (Anime + Movies) from back then. However, Super in some episodes can be an embarrassment to nowadays standards.
I don't think every episode of Super looks bad. I find most of it to look good expect for Episode 5 and Episode 9. Besides Madhouse, Sunrise and Bones are far from perfect neither. They have done poor animation sometimes too. Other Japanese companies like Tsuburaya and Toho can be pretty cheap too. Toei has been known to be cheap, but not everything that they make is terrible.

Besides animation does not matter if you have a good story. Shows like Rick and Morty has bad animation, but strong writing. The writing is so good that people don't care if the writing is so good.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Post Reply