"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:51 pm

precita wrote:In just the 3 years Super has been airing, Goku has discovered FOUR new transformations. You can't make this shit up. :lol:
Er... No, the first two transformations were debuted in Z movies (BoG and RoF), so it doesn't really counts.
ArchedThunder wrote:I think Yamamuro's version of UI looks fine, though I prefer Omen, but Toriyama's UI is hilarious.
Hilarious bad, I agree.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:02 pm

HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
If he didn't care, he would have nothing to do with Dragon Ball like he has been doing for decades before DBE. He even outright said he cares in the 30th Anniversary book where he 'complained' about the Super anime.
No, he cared about the quality of the anime, that didn't mean writing since those were his scripts. he meant animation quality.

But we know the Future trunks was not an idea he came up with himself. He gives vague outlines. Designs that even in his laziest days would shatter and he is incredbly laxed with the anime and i know that because there has never been one interview were Toriyama has said no to them.

He simply does not care. Even if he doesn't say it, you can tell by his actions. Unless you truly believe he is trying.
He only said the Future Trunks Saga came from a suggest and we don't even know what the hell the suggesting was.

He does care, otherwise he would have never came back to Dragon Ball to begin with. This isn't rocket science.
You cannot say he does when he literally traces over his design.

hell, even Yamamuro did the exact same thing with the anime design.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:04 pm

This is so god damn irritating and i'm not mad because how it looks (even thought it's pretty bad so far) but because i don't feel that it's necessary.

Seriously why fix something that it's not fucking broken? UI looked pretty cool the way it's been presented so far, it doesn't need a recolour just to determine that Goku has mastered it. I mean, ssj 1 didn't need any other physical change once both Goku and Gohan learnt how to control it even better.

It may look cooler in the anime, hell, i might even end up loving it like i did with Rosé and Freeza's sixth comeback. But it still won't fix my issue.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:11 pm

Artorias wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
Artorias wrote:Kinda shocked by the overwhelming negativity here. I think this looks totally fine. Not the greatest ever, but fairly solid.

I also think SSJ4 and SSG are BUTT UGLY, so I guess I should be used to being in the vast minority when it comes to opinions on forms.
Personally, I just really liked the idea of Goku's hair not changing any color and him not changing his appearance just like his strongest opponents (Beerus, Hit, Jiren, etc).

This is the same situation I was in with Goku Black. I liked his design in his normal state so much that I foolishly ruled out him transforming because I didn't want his design to change.

We'll bitch about it now, and then we'll all get over it. DB is truly a transformation-driven series.
I genuinely believe that most people will get over it once they see it in action. Will it look as good as the original UI? Probably not, but I believe it'll still look good in the actual show.
I agree.

Akeem

Post by Akeem » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Artorias wrote:Kinda shocked by the overwhelming negativity here. I think this looks totally fine. Not the greatest ever, but fairly solid.

I also think SSJ4 and SSG are BUTT UGLY, so I guess I should be used to being in the vast minority when it comes to opinions on forms.
Personally, I just really liked the idea of Goku's hair not changing any color and him not changing his appearance just like his strongest opponents (Beerus, Hit, Jiren, etc).

This is the same situation I was in with Goku Black. I liked his design in his normal state so much that I foolishly ruled out him transforming because I didn't want his design to change.

We'll bitch about it now, and then we'll all get over it. DB is truly a transformation-driven series.
Don't say Db; Their wasnt a transformation in the original dragon ball.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Akeem wrote:

Don't say Db; Their wasnt a transformation in the original dragon ball.
Uh, there was Great Ape, Piccolo transforming into a Giant, etc. So yes, there was a transformation in the original Dragon Ball, unless we're watching two different shows.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:25 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:This is so god damn irritating and i'm not mad because how it looks (even thought it's pretty bad so far) but because i don't feel that it's necessary.

Seriously why fix something that it's not fucking broken? UI looked pretty cool the way it's been presented so far, it doesn't need a recolour just to determine that Goku has mastered it. I mean, ssj 1 didn't need any other physical change once both Goku and Gohan learnt how to control it even better.

It may look cooler in the anime, hell, i might even end up loving it like i did with Rosé and Freeza's sixth comeback. But it still won't fix my issue.
You're looking at it the wrong way, Completed UI was likely the original design and Omen was the recolor.

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:32 pm

Vegeta attains a new recolored form: Stunning brilliance worthy of the Gods’ approval.

Goku attains a new recolored form: The new 9/11.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:35 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:Vegeta attains a new recolored form: Stunning brilliance worthy of the Gods’ approval.

A lot of people including me hated Vegeta new form when it debuted.
Mostly active on discord.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Freeza9000 wrote:Vegeta attains a new recolored form: Stunning brilliance worthy of the Gods’ approval.

You realize this is a completely off comparison, right? What Vegeta got is anything but a recolor, it is still Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, it keeps the blue hair, only that it shines more. What Goku got is still Ultra Instinct, only that... It is silver? Why?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:45 pm

Grimlock wrote:

You realize this is a completely off comparison, right? What Vegeta got is anything but a recolor, it is still Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, it keeps the blue hair, only that it shines more. What Goku got is still Ultra Instinct, only that... It is silver? Why?
The answer is right there. Because it’s a perfected form, while omen means exactly that, omen, or of things to come, which was the perfected version. Anyway, people should stop complaining. Y’all are going to look like hypocrites in a couple of weeks once you all start liking the form.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:58 pm

I mean, uh, at least it looks better than Vegeta’s Super Saiyan Sparkles. Still disappointing that they felt the need to make the two look so different.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Because it’s a perfected form, while omen means exactly that, omen, or of things to come, which was the perfected version.
That actually does not explain the change in color. Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3 (or even the Full Power Super Saiyan/Mastered Super Saiyan) did not change the color, this new power-up Vegeta got did not change the color. One could only expect that whatever comes after Ultra Instinct (that is related to it), would keep the black hair.
Kenneth La Torre wrote:in a couple of weeks once you all start liking the form.
Certainly not me. As I have said before, if it was up to me, I would get rid of all these new and unnecessary transformations (heck, even some past forms I would remove from existence).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Because it’s a perfected form, while omen means exactly that, omen, or of things to come, which was the perfected version.
That actually does not explain the change in color. Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3 (or even the Full Power Super Saiyan/Mastered Super Saiyan) did not change the color, this new power-up Vegeta got did not change the color. One could only expect that whatever comes after Ultra Instinct (that is related to it), would keep the black hair.
Kenneth La Torre wrote:in a couple of weeks once you all start liking the form.
Certainly not me. As I have said before, if it was up to me, I would get rid of all these new and unnecessary transformations (heck, even some past forms I would remove from existence).
Dragon ball is known for its transformations. You be actively hurting the franchise's success.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Grimlock wrote:

The answer is right there. Because it’s a perfected form, while omen means exactly that, omen, or of things to come, which was the perfected version. Anyway, people should stop complaining. Y’all are going to look like hypocrites in a couple of weeks once you all start liking the form.
That doesn't make anyone a hypocrite, that just means either people changed their minds or just got over it.

You can dislike something or someone at first, then learn more about that something/someone and then realize it isn't/they aren't as unlikable as you initially thought. That isn't hypocrisy.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Grimlock wrote:
That doesn't make anyone a hypocrite, that just means either people changed their minds or just got over it.

You can dislike something or someone at first, then learn more about that something/someone and then realize it isn't/they aren't as unlikable as you initially thought. That isn't hypocrisy.
Read carefully, maybe you would see that I didn’t say y’all would be hypocrites. Theres a word that I wrote that starts with “l”.
That word makes a huge difference

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:

Read carefully, maybe you would see that I didn’t say y’all would be hypocrites. Theres a word that I wrote that starts with “l”.
That word makes a huge difference
Multitasking, so I missed that.

But how interesting. So if someone changes their mind on something, which happens all of the time, that makes them look like a hypocrite to you? Really? Ok then.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Don't know if it's okay to say this in spoiler but
[spoiler]I'd appreciate if someone can PM a link to a good stream, I don't usually watch streams so I don't know any[/spoiler]

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:59 pm

OverHeaven wrote:Don't know if it's okay to say this in spoiler but
[spoiler]I'd appreciate if someone can PM a link to a good stream, I don't usually watch streams so I don't know any[/spoiler]
[spoiler]its extremely hard to find one. And I don’t know if anyone here is going to PM you one.[/spoiler]

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:00 pm

HeroR wrote:He only said the Future Trunks Saga came from a suggest and we don't even know what the hell the suggesting was.

He does care, otherwise he would have never came back to Dragon Ball to begin with. This isn't rocket science.
I agree with this.

I somewhat agree with Totamo as well but I don't think he doesn't care in a "whatever" kind of way, I think he's just really relaxed with the series, like he's always been. This said, remember that he writes the plot, reads the scripts from Toei and supervises the manga, even making corrections. This doesn't say "doesn't care" because, even if it's easier than drawing a manga, it still takes time from his days. I also believe his drafts being vague is part of the original agreement so that Toei and Toyotarou can flesh them out however they want.

Also, watching the comparison of both designs Ajay posted, you can tell Migatte no Gokui is a bit more polished design than God was and it works well. Whether you dislike the silver hair or not, it's a pretty solid design. I'm baffled at the amount of disrespect some people have showed here, with poor reasoning for complaining, to boot.