"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:41 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Diccolo-420 wrote:If sales are an indicator of quality, then Call of Duty is the best video game of all time.
I think you meant Grand Theft Auto, man.
HeroR wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:Snippets for the Future Trunks and Tournament of Power soundtracks have been released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1cokp8WQfo&feature
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHJIOvMMH8

They sound amazing!!!!!! There are even some never before heard Future Trunks soundtracks that have never been used in the show for some reason :p

Remember, the soundtrack(s) officially release on February 28th, which is in only a couple of days!
It's good to have official names for these tracks, finally.
Yes! Though it would be "sad if 'Desperate Assault' has a different track name lol
It does. It called Trunks the Savior.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:58 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Seeing the kinds of ideas that get posted here makes me a lot more appreciative of Super's admittedly mediocre writing.
Were you here when Goten Black was a thing?

I will never forget that.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
The only reason sales were brought up was to show that people enjoyed the show enough to buy it. Nothing to do with the quality of the series. Which yes sales have nothing to do with.
I think the retellings doing well is interesting. I mean, people can easily buy the movies for far cheaper, but they pony up for the Super retellings which has far inferior animation.
The BoG arc was at worst mediocre and at best entertaining. But it is still watchable and I would never tell anyone to skip it.

Rof........yeah, that was garbage to when freeza showed up to when he killed vegeta. I would never in good heart recommend anyone to watch that.

126 through 128 have also pretty bad but I'm confident they can savage all that nonsense with the final fight. If they fail, Super has no chance at being remembered even remotely fondly because GT had the universal spirt bomb. Ball has Goku winning the tournament. And Z has the planetary spirit bomb.

Super has 2 episodes to top that.
For me, super is already above GT no matter what, yes, it has some really bad moments, but just the amount of good moments super has compared to GT ,( wich IMO has way less) makes it better.

that being said, I don't know about the fight, i don't remember the final battle very much, but the ending, yeah, I really don't think super is going to top GT ending, its one of those things GT did right, and one of the best moment of its run (maybe even of the franchise).

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

HeroR wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Yes! Though it would be "sad if 'Desperate Assault' has a different track name lol
Meh, I prefered the fan name, this one doesn't make much sense lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:26 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Yes! Though it would be "sad if 'Desperate Assault' has a different track name lol
Especially because it plays during scenes that don't involve Trunks in the ToP as well.

I agree with you. "Desperate Assault" seems like a better name overall.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:30 pm

YamiGoku wrote: For me, super is already above GT no matter what, yes, it has some really bad moments, but just the amount of good moments super has compared to GT ,( wich IMO has way less) makes it better.

that being said, I don't know about the fight, i don't remember the final battle very much, but the ending, yeah, I really don't think super is going to top GT ending, its one of those things GT did right, and one of the best moment of its run (maybe even of the franchise).
I feel the same, if there is anything I really really like about GT, it is that awesome and epic ending it had, which I doubt Super is going to top, altough I prefer most of Super more than GT.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:15 pm

GamerSkull wrote:Frankly, I wouldn't mind some more of a focus on the minor characters (new ones and the ones that were left in the dust). As long as it makes sense. But yeah, Goku and Vegeta are probably the easiest way to make money for them.
They have the gumption to dangle past favourites over the heads of fans in order to entice them to follow the new arc, I think on some level they understand what they mean to a number of us. It doesn't mean they'll start reinvesting in those characters, even though it would help to vary the roster and help add some additional personalities with different abilities to give some distinguishability to the main protagonists.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Lionel wrote:
GamerSkull wrote:Frankly, I wouldn't mind some more of a focus on the minor characters (new ones and the ones that were left in the dust). As long as it makes sense. But yeah, Goku and Vegeta are probably the easiest way to make money for them.
They have the gumption to dangle past favourites over the heads of fans in order to entice them to follow the new arc, I think on some level they understand what they mean to a number of us. It doesn't mean they'll start reinvesting in those characters, even though it would help to vary the roster and help add some additional personalities with different abilities to give some distinguishability to the main protagonists.
Indeed. Characters like Kuririn, Tenshinhan, and Muten Roshi were probably brought back for this purpose in the ToP. (Poor Yamcha :( )

They were also among the first to be eliminated so it kind of feels like trolling... but I would also say that those three didn't really deserve to be there (well, not Roshi anyway).

It's funny though that Roshi performed the best among those three too.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 pm

HeroR wrote:
Is it though? If I read those timestamps in the pinned comment correctly, it's called "Heroic Battle". That's not as cool as Desperate Assault, but I can live with that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 am

GamerSkull wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Especially because it plays during scenes that don't involve Trunks in the ToP as well.

I agree with you. "Desperate Assault" seems like a better name overall.
That's because it was made for the Future Trunks Saga and is just reused again for the TOP. It happens all the time in anime, just look at One Piece.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:27 am

In a way I'm glad Goku is perfecting Ultra Instinct because it feels like his final stage, he's now above the Gods and below the Angels, and since I don't think he will ever reach the Angels this is probably near the end for Goku.

Barring something like an Angel going evil, there's no way any other mortal should be strong anymore. This is basically it, so I suspect we'll move to the next generation of heroes next series. It makes sense and it's what the show is heading to.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:53 am

precita wrote:In a way I'm glad Goku is perfecting Ultra Instinct because it feels like his final stage, he's now above the Gods and below the Angels, and since I don't think he will ever reach the Angels this is probably near the end for Goku.

Barring something like an Angel going evil, there's no way any other mortal should be strong anymore. This is basically it, so I suspect we'll move to the next generation of heroes next series. It makes sense and it's what the show is heading to.
Sure, like Gokus story was told, when he did beat the greatest threat from earth and got married. Or when he died peacefully, didn't opt to get resurrected and his son took his role of savior. Or when he defeated the evilest and strongest thing in the universe that even the highest god (the Supreme Kai!) was afraid of. They will surely go into that direction that people suspected they were going three times already and hand the series over from one of the most iconic characters in anime history and his very popular rival to the (by far) less popular next generation, of which two characters that seemed to become more important in Buu Saga (Goten and Trunks), didn't even get tournament seats, or any serious attention in Super, they didn't even get their natural growth.

This mere speculation for which there are no hints in the show (to the contrary) does not get more justified by posting a rephrasing of it in this thread once a day.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:50 am

It's inevitable though, or else they would have saved Ultra Instinct for the next series. Goku has basically hit as far as he could go. Toriyama more or less implied the Angels will never be reached by mortals, so there is no place for him to go.

I fully expect Trunks/Goten, and then Uub and Pan because they've been set up, to be the next major characters. Hopefully Gohan stays relevant.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:00 am

HeroR wrote:Also, the "series is only living and succeeding thanks to its known name and iconic characters" is weird given all the new characters it introduced.
Huh? Of course, any continuing show has to introduce new characters for new arcs lol. That has nothing to do with what I said. My point is Goku, Vegeta and all the other Z warriors that we knew since childhood are still there. Heck, they even brought back Frieza yet again.
Do you really believe that if Toriyama or Toei started a new series, with a new protagonist and entire new main cast, people are still going to care about it? No, because they know their writing is shit and people are only sticking around to see how Goku will break his limit yet again and reach new heights blah blah blah.

Araki on the other hand, even without "pulling an Enrico Pucci" introduces new protagonist and main cast each new part and even manage to make them better than before, his writing is what makes people interested in Jojolion, and the fact that it has the most complicated story up to date out of all parts. not the JoJo name or the old stand of the week formula.
precita wrote:It's inevitable though, or else they would have saved Ultra Instinct for the next series. Goku has basically hit as far as he could go. Toriyama more or less implied the Angels will never be reached by mortals, so there is no place for him to go.

I fully expect Trunks/Goten, and then Uub and Pan because they've been set up, to be the next major characters. Hopefully Gohan stays relevant.
Come on, we all know Goku is going to surpass the angels and become the strongest being in the entire multiverse eventually.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:28 am

precita wrote:It's inevitable though, or else they would have saved Ultra Instinct for the next series. Goku has basically hit as far as he could go. Toriyama more or less implied the Angels will never be reached by mortals, so there is no place for him to go.
Just as inevitable as it was when Goku defeated the strongest enemy that was on the horizon at that time. The creators can always make up new stuff. A lot of things were implied even in the series that went nowhere.
Seriously, they've not been set up. Gohan was set up when he surpassed his father, his father died and didn't want to return, Future Trunks went back to the future and Vegeta said he would never fight again. That is what you can call a setup for Gohan and even that went nowhere, Gohan regressed. Next time, Vegeta was dead, Goku was still dead and cancelled his fight with Majin Buu and promised him a new opponent and Goten and Trunks were trained and learned fusion to be the new saviors. That was a setup. They've become players in the main conflict. Look where it took us.

But right now, there is no setup at all. Goten and Trunks were not even included in a tournament that included Muten Roshi and Tien Shinhan (lol), their importance regressed significantly and through all of super they've been comic relief characters with now significance as fighters in the actual conflict, they don't age, they don't grow, they're hardly shown to train, nobody is talking about retiring (to the contrary, Goku and Vegeta are more motivated than ever), their strength has dropped significantly (Copy Vegeta base tanked SSJ3 Gotenks hit to the face). Pan is a baby and Uub has not even been seen in the anime. This is no setup. This is two or three lines/events to show that they have potential (significantly less focus than Raditz-era Gohan), but every second new character (and even a returned one) has great potential, just to name some: Freeza, Future Trunks, Cabba, Kale, Caulifla (while we're at it, the treatment and the interactions with the U6 Saiyans including a teased mentor/student-relationship, a major promise, two invitations, character development, significant screen time, this is what we call a setup and the reason why so many people expected a planet Sadala arc), Hit (all of which received way more attention than the next generation).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm doubling down on saying this: Right now there is absolutely no indication at all for a retirement and they do not give any hints about a takeover by the next generation, to the contrary, we did have that in the later parts of Z but Super is going into the opposite direction, so much that people are understandably annoyed at the stagnancy of Goten and Trunks and so far, Pan and Uub are very, very minor characters. Dragon Ball is a lot less subtle than people seem to think when they are going into these overinterpretations of the stuff that's shown and if I remember Gohan (who really did development and was always foreshadowed to surpass everyone in Z), there is a lot less of that now than there ever was.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 am

OverHeaven wrote:
HeroR wrote:Also, the "series is only living and succeeding thanks to its known name and iconic characters" is weird given all the new characters it introduced.
Huh? Of course, any continuing show has to introduce new characters for new arcs lol. That has nothing to do with what I said. My point is Goku, Vegeta and all the other Z warriors that we knew since childhood are still there. Heck, they even brought back Frieza yet again.
Do you really believe that if Toriyama or Toei started a new series, with a new protagonist and entire new main cast, people are still going to care about it? No, because they know their writing is shit and people are only sticking around to see how Goku will break his limit yet again and reach new heights blah blah blah.

Araki on the other hand, even without "pulling an Enrico Pucci" introduces new protagonist and main cast each new part and even manage to make them better than before, his writing is what makes people interested in Jojolion, and the fact that it has the most complicated story up to date out of all parts. not the JoJo name or the old stand of the week formula.

Come on, we all know Goku is going to surpass the angels and become the strongest being in the entire multiverse eventually.
There is so many wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin.

1. Dragon ball isn't built like Jojo, I can't name a shonen that is and that has nothing to do with writing skill, but writing style. Beserk has been going on since 1989 and Guts is still the main MC, you wanna shit on that too?

2. Stardust Crusaders is still the most popular Jojo series, no matter how better the other 6 are and the fact that he keeps stands around shows that even Araki doesn't have the balls to get rid of things that he knows are popular. Plus Jotaro was still a main MC in 3 of those.

3. People wouldn't watch it if Goku wasn't in it, not because its bad, but because thats their favorite character and they want to see him to do stuff. Goku is more iconic than any of Araki's characters only one that can even be thrown in is you guessed it, Jotrao. Some shows are character driven like most shonen and others are story driven like most seinen. There is a big reason why shonen is more popular and ain't age.

4. What keeps people interested in his work, is not just his writing especially when it comes to stardust crusaders. I knew about Jotaro, DIO and Stands long before I knew about the story. Heck I didn't know there were other parts, I thought it was just Stardust.

5.Araki is one of greatest mangaka of his time and continues to improve but to say that his protagonist are totally new is a lie. They all come from the same damn family and thats why I'm interested in the series. So don't assume shit.

6. What makes Dragon ball popular and what makes Jojo popular are 2 different things and considering it took the latter 25 years to get a proper anime adaptation and the former 18 years to get a fourth, I don't either has anything to do with writing.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:57 am

Totamo wrote: There is so many wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin.

1. Dragon ball isn't built like Jojo, I can't name a shonen that is and that has nothing to do with writing skill, but writing style. Beserk has been going on since 1989 and Guts is still the main MC, you wanna shit on that too?
-I was arguing against the idea of Toriyama starting a new Dragon Ball series with new generation whatsoever, you admitted in point 3 that " People wouldn't watch it if Goku wasn't in it" so I'm right.

2. Stardust Crusaders is still the most popular Jojo series, no matter how better the other 6 are and the fact that he keeps stands around shows that even Araki doesn't have the balls to get rid of things that he knows are popular. Plus Jotaro was still a main MC in 3 of those.
So what? That has nothing to do with my argument. If Toriyama starts a new series it doesn't have to be more popular than Goku's parts. It won't in fact lol. We all know popularity doesn't equal quality.
-Are you serious about the "keeping stands around" part? That is like people wanting Dragon Ball without Ki or One Piece without devil fruits. plus Stands are not as simple as Ki or Chakra whatever lol They have endless possibilities and each part brings new ideas and more complicated Stands. It's the best Shonen power along with Nen from HxH. plus it's a power, not a certain character lol.
-Jotaro was in part 4 and 6 yes but not the main protagonist, already said that Toriyama failed even in doing that in Majin Buu arc.

3. People wouldn't watch it if Goku wasn't in it, not because its bad, but because thats their favorite character and they want to see him to do stuff. Goku is more iconic than any of Araki's characters only one that can even be thrown in is you guessed it, Jotrao. Some shows are character driven like most shonen and others are story driven like most seinen. There is a big reason why shonen is more popular and ain't age.
-Again that has nothing to do with my argument lol "more iconic" or not, Araki keeps moving on and Toriyama can't do it. And as usual, more iconic or popular doesn't equal better. Everyone knows Goku is one of simplest Shonen characters, a kid can write a story using Goku and no one will notice something is off about him.

4. What keeps people interested in his work, is not just his writing especially when it comes to stardust crusaders. I knew about Jotaro, DIO and Stands long before I knew about the story. Heck I didn't know there were other parts, I thought it was just Stardust.
-Dio and Jotaro are not present in all parts, SBR and JJL are in an entirely different universe, with whole new setting and history. and A different story, no more Vampires or Joestar bloodline centred stories. Yet SBR is still considered the best part among the vast majory of the fans, again best not most popular.

5.Araki is one of greatest mangaka of his time and continues to improve but to say that his protagonist are totally new is a lie. They all come from the same damn family and thats why I'm interested in the series. So don't assume shit.
-Each protagonist is an entirely new character aka new protagonist, with different personalities and attitudes. Oh and not all of them but obviously you are not up to date with the manga.

6. What makes Dragon ball popular and what makes Jojo popular are 2 different things and considering it took the latter 25 years to get a proper anime adaptation and the former 18 years to get a fourth, I don't either has anything to do with writing.
Mmm, not sure what are you trying to say here?

PS. Calm down my friend, idk but I feel like you are boiling or something :D Let's just have a friendly discussion about Cartoon and Manga

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 am

Dragonball already showed the only way a next generation can work with its type of storytelling. They need to jump ahead and quickly catch up with the old generation in the frontlines. They can't be lagging behind and just repeating what we've seen before.

In fact, I can't see all those characters (Goten, Trunks, Uub, Pan) active as protagonist cast at the same time considering the current writing. Look at Goten and Trunks, who have been reduced to comic relief. Either Toriyama has no interest in those characters anymore at all, or he just doesn't want children fighting in the frontline again. In that case, if there's a timeskip, Goten and Trunks could join the main cast again since they'd be adults, but Uub and Pan would remain in the sidelines. On the other hand, it's also possible Toriyama just has no interest in Goten and Trunks at all, so, even if new characters are introduced or Pan and Uub got a bigger role, Goten and Trunks still would continue getting nothing.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:06 pm

OverHeaven wrote:
Totamo wrote: There is so many wrong with this statement, I don't even know where to begin.

-I was arguing against the idea of Toriyama starting a new Dragon Ball series with new generation whatsoever, you admitted in point 3 that " People wouldn't watch it if Goku wasn't in it" so I'm right.

So what? That has nothing to do with my argument. If Toriyama starts a new series it doesn't have to be more popular than Goku's parts. It won't in fact lol. We all know popularity doesn't equal quality.
-Are you serious about the "keeping stands around" part? That is like people wanting Dragon Ball without Ki or One Piece without devil fruits. plus Stands are not as simple as Ki or Chakra whatever lol They have endless possibilities and each part brings new ideas and more complicated Stands. It's the best Shonen power along with Nen from HxH. plus it's a power, not a certain character lol.
-Jotaro was in part 4 and 6 yes but not the main protagonist, already said that Toriyama failed even in doing that in Majin Buu arc.

-Again that has nothing to do with my argument lol "more iconic" or not, Araki keeps moving on and Toriyama can't do it. And as usual, more iconic or popular doesn't equal better. Everyone knows Goku is one of simplest Shonen characters, a kid can write a story using Goku and no one will notice something is off about him.

-Dio and Jotaro are not present in all parts, SBR and JJL are in an entirely different universe, with whole new setting and history. and A different story, no more Vampires or Joestar bloodline centred stories. Yet SBR is still considered the best part among the vast majory of the fans, again best not most popular.

-Each protagonist is an entirely new character aka new protagonist, with different personalities and attitudes. Oh and not all of them but obviously you are not up to date with the manga.

Mmm, not sure what are you trying to say here?

PS. Calm down my friend, idk but I feel like you are boiling or something :D Let's just have a friendly discussion about Cartoon and Manga
1. You were not arguing against the idea of new gen, you were giving bs reasons why toriyama couldn't do new gen. Which is not the same thing at all.

2. Popularity doesn't equal quality, i never said it did but you said Araki's work is loved because of quality writing so why the hell is the most , loved aka most popular the third one out of a 9 part series. Also my point was that you said toriyama doesn't have the balls to get rid of something iconic about his series, Araki changed his power system why didn't he change it again. Because it's the most iconic thing about the whole series and no one would watch it, proof everyone tells me to skip part 1 and part 2.

3.but its the same damn family line so there is still connection to eveey one of them. Jojo is thr story of the joestar bloodine, thats why its called jojo.he is not moving on but continuing the same story .because of that and iconic doesn't equal better but it objective and something you can't argue with which is why I brought it up. Also thats a lie because Goku has been attempted numerous times by other mangaka and the only one to come close is Luffy. But I definitely name someone who is basically Jotaro , the punk with a good heart.

4. Thats such a lie. Jonny Joestar full name is Jonathan Joestar and jojolion is josuke. They have simply been reincarnated. It doesn't matter if those 2 aren't in all the parts when their presence is still fekt through a majority of it. Dio in part 1, part 2, part 3, part 5 and part 6.Diego brando even has a similar power to Dio.

5. Joseph is a punk wuth a good heart. Jotaro is a punk with a good heart. Josuke is a punk with a good heart. Giornno is a gangstar with a good heart and joline is a punk with a good heart. Jonny is a straight jackass but understandable since he is crippled and all.

6. Oh now you are just , Jotaro is the leader of the joestar group in part 4 and is the one to deliver the final hit on kira and he is the reason Jolyne goes on her journey to stop Pucci. Dio is the reason Giornno even exists and why Pucci became who he did. They both have a very strong imoact on the series as a whole, that you simply can't ignore.

Come on, man. There are other ways to get the point that Toriyama wouldn't reboot his series or use new gen other than insulting him which you did.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:18 pm

I might be repeating myself when I say this, but:
Dragon Ball going to the next generation isn't a case of replacing Goku (and Vegeta). That's not really going to work, as Goku is the face of Dragon Ball and it's a bit late to try to change that now. Going next-gen is more a matter of replacing who battles alongside Goku, a process we're already familiar with from Z (mostly in the Buu arc I suppose). And it's not like this is a process that needs a ton of build-up beforehand, as the process itself is the build-up, like with Gohan.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link