"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Skar
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:20 pm

BoG and RoF were announced in July the previous year of their release. Is there a convention or event that happening in July or were they only announced in Jump magazine? DBS: Broly was announced in December 2017 then the title and poster in July 2018 I think. If we don't get any announcement this month, the soonest after that might be this December or next July for a movie. If the anime returns and takes Digimon's timeslot, it might be announced sometime in the spring next year?

User avatar
IntangibleFancy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon May 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by IntangibleFancy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:43 pm

We probably won't be getting any trailers or scans until late next year, the pandemic made sure of that. If we're lucky, maybe another Toei employee will tell us they didn't abandon Super?
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:12 pm

I think that the only time where we can expect some announcement regarding new animated Super will be around the time the current manga arc ends.

The Galactic Patrol Arc is still completely contained within Super’s manga, as it has hasn’t gotten any new merchandise or appearance in Heroes or other games.
Therefore there’s a big possibility that they are waiting for it to be animated to capitalize on the anime’s popularity before releasing the merchandise or having Moro and other new characters appear in videogames.

Sure, there’s still a possibility that the next animated thing we will get will be a new movie written by Toriyama and hinted to be in very early planning around 1 year ago (Shintani hasn’t worked on anything else since Broly, so he may have been working on that) but who knows if those are still the plans. That movie they talked about might just be an idea, like “we want other movies in the future” thing but nothing concrete and may be put on hold for the time being.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20960
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:30 pm

emperior wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:12 pm
The Galactic Patrol Arc is still completely contained within Super’s manga, as it has hasn’t gotten any new merchandise or appearance in Heroes or other games.
This is the most bizarre aspect to me. You'd think Bandai would jump all over the new opportunities to pimp out new toys, figures and cards for Heroes with the latest arc in the manga, but they've practically given the arc the cold shoulder. I don't understand why.

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13446
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:42 pm

Can't make a new cartoon series when you don't have any staff. Toei Animation is busy making other projects that they'd already planned for in advance, some of them for Bandai, so how are they just supposed to drop everything to work on Dragon Ball?
She/Her | Practice self-care.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1838
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 pm

TOEI decided to create Super on a whim with minimal pre-production. It can be done.

That said, with this global pandemic and everything being delayed I don't expect to see any new animated Super for some time.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Funimation Level 1.2 Replacement Cover
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13446
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:30 pm
TOEI decided to create Super on a whim with minimal pre-production. It can be done.

That said, with this global pandemic and everything being delayed I don't expect to see any new animated Super for some time.
Yeah and Super was a giant fucking mess that probably pissed off everyone in the studio. Hell, Chioka Kimitoshi disappeared from their directing rotation for months after he left the series. This coming off the heels of losing Sakai Munehisa due to Sailor Moon Crystal probably taught the studio management to be more careful in the future. Since then all of their new projects have had better production quality.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1577
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:31 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:30 pm
This is the most bizarre aspect to me. You'd think Bandai would jump all over the new opportunities to pimp out new toys, figures and cards for Heroes with the latest arc in the manga, but they've practically given the arc the cold shoulder. I don't understand why.
The same thing happened with SsjG Vegeta, he showed up in the manga in early 2017, but didn't get merchandise or game appearances until mid-late 2018 when he was announced for Broly.

User avatar
The Undying
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm

I'd assume that's because the vast majority of merchandise tends to revolve around animated adaptations. The same holds true for shonen franchises outside of Dragon Ball - you wouldn't typically see figures/merch for One Piece, Naruto, Bleach etc. until it was adapted in the TV series and the packaging reflected the anime's artstyle.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm

The Undying wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm
I'd assume that's because the vast majority of merchandise tends to revolve around animated adaptations. The same holds true for shonen franchises outside of Dragon Ball - you wouldn't typically see figures/merch for One Piece, Naruto, Bleach etc. until it was adapted in the TV series and the packaging reflected the anime's artstyle.
This makes sense, but are we really sure it is like that with other franchises (at least, those you mentioned or generally Bandai Namco ones) ?

I know nothing about merchandising for those.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

User avatar
The Undying
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by The Undying » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:33 pm

emperior wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm
This makes sense, but are we really sure it is like that with other franchises (at least, those you mentioned or generally Bandai Namco ones) ?
I'm mostly going off of what I've seen while I've kept up with them. It's probably to maintain brand consistency.

There are exceptions, and there have been exceptions for DB and Super. But generally speaking, these companies often wait until characters/forms are adapted into the medium they believe their audience is the most familiar with.
Formerly Marlowe89.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1577
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:49 am

emperior wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm
This makes sense, but are we really sure it is like that with other franchises (at least, those you mentioned or generally Bandai Namco ones) ?
Overall yes, especially with mainstream ones like Naruto and DB. I think it has to do with anime worldwide possibly being more popular, so they want as many people to know about something before pushing it in games and merchandise.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:50 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:49 am
emperior wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm
This makes sense, but are we really sure it is like that with other franchises (at least, those you mentioned or generally Bandai Namco ones) ?
Overall yes, especially with mainstream ones like Naruto and DB. I think it has to do with anime worldwide possibly being more popular, so they want as many people to know about something before pushing it in games and merchandise.
Thanks. Then this might mean that Moro’s arc will be animated in the future, or else I feel like they would have showed him in other stuff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

MeMeDZEHH
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:42 pm
Can't make a new cartoon series when you don't have any staff. Toei Animation is busy making other projects that they'd already planned for in advance, some of them for Bandai, so how are they just supposed to drop everything to work on Dragon Ball?
They had staff when gegege no kitaro ended, they'll have some when digimon is ending next april. That's not a problem at all

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7593
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:30 pm
This is the most bizarre aspect to me. You'd think Bandai would jump all over the new opportunities to pimp out new toys, figures and cards for Heroes with the latest arc in the manga, but they've practically given the arc the cold shoulder. I don't understand why.
Are you sure? I guess it is pretty much because the manga is side-stuff and that Bandai always do stuff with things that are present on the anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13446
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 pm

MeMeDZEHH wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:42 pm
Can't make a new cartoon series when you don't have any staff. Toei Animation is busy making other projects that they'd already planned for in advance, some of them for Bandai, so how are they just supposed to drop everything to work on Dragon Ball?
They had staff when gegege no kitaro ended, they'll have some when digimon is ending next april. That's not a problem at all
When GeGeGe no Kitarou ended they were working on Digimon and Dragon Quest. They're also working on One Piece and PreCure, not to mention other smaller projects that they are dedicated to. Projects are now being properly scheduled in advance, hence why Dragon Quest will has been in production for nearly a year before it airs in October.

We also have to consider if Toei Animation can even legally produce a new TV series or film.
She/Her | Practice self-care.

MeMeDZEHH
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:13 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm
JulieYBM wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:42 pm
Can't make a new cartoon series when you don't have any staff. Toei Animation is busy making other projects that they'd already planned for in advance, some of them for Bandai, so how are they just supposed to drop everything to work on Dragon Ball?
They had staff when gegege no kitaro ended, they'll have some when digimon is ending next april. That's not a problem at all
When GeGeGe no Kitarou ended they were working on Digimon and Dragon Quest. They're also working on One Piece and PreCure, not to mention other smaller projects that they are dedicated to. Projects are now being properly scheduled in advance, hence why Dragon Quest will has been in production for nearly a year before it airs in October.

We also have to consider if Toei Animation can even legally produce a new TV series or film.
I understand this but what i said is that TOEI can handle a Dragon Ball anime after Digimon's ending. And you're proving me right with the fact that DQ has been in pre-production since last october. With that schedule, the staff can easily swap between the shows.

User avatar
Skar
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 791
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: US

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Skar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:49 am
emperior wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:15 pm
This makes sense, but are we really sure it is like that with other franchises (at least, those you mentioned or generally Bandai Namco ones) ?
Overall yes, especially with mainstream ones like Naruto and DB. I think it has to do with anime worldwide possibly being more popular, so they want as many people to know about something before pushing it in games and merchandise.
Yeah it's probably due to more people watching anime than reading manga. It's the same with comic books vs cartoons and movie based on those characters or adaptations of book series. In general, there's a wider audience for movies and shows than for any print media.
MeMeDZEHH wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:13 pm
I understand this but what i said is that TOEI can handle a Dragon Ball anime after Digimon's ending. And you're proving me right with the fact that DQ has been in pre-production since last october. With that schedule, the staff can easily swap between the shows.
We have to wait to see what other projects Toei has planned. They might announce a different anime to take Digimon's timeslot next year.

MeMeDZEHH
Newbie
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:45 pm

Skar wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:50 pm
MeMeDZEHH wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:13 pm
I understand this but what i said is that TOEI can handle a Dragon Ball anime after Digimon's ending. And you're proving me right with the fact that DQ has been in pre-production since last october. With that schedule, the staff can easily swap between the shows.
We have to wait to see what other projects Toei has planned. They might announce a different anime to take Digimon's timeslot next year.
I know that, i've never said a DB anime is guaranted next year, i'm just saiying with digimon ending next year, some staff will be free to go to another show

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 4019
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Dragon World
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:51 am

I already posted this in the manga thread, but I figure it may be interesting for people who maybe check this thread but not the manga one.

We now know Volume 13’s spine art:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DBSChronicle ... 3703923712

Usually each character take up 3 volumes of spine-art, therefore the manga should last at least until chapter 68. So, at least until January 2021.
I honestly doubt the Moro arc will be this long so I think it’s safe to assume that the manga isn’t ending anytime soon.

So, unless Moro’s arc lasts for another 6 chapters, something which is very unlikely, the manga will go on with a new story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Post Reply