"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by precita » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:28 pm

What happened with the Digimon anime that the animation got so bad? Is it it like 2015-era Super animation? Because if so I don't want to see Super come back looking like that again.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:47 pm

emperior wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:06 pm
Mister_Popo wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:28 pm
Matches Malone wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:15 am

DB returning next year would be a worst case scenario for the franchise, as they will be making the exact same mistake they made with it in 2015. Dragon Quest is clearly their big anime alongside One Piece, so trying to add DB to that will not only mess its quality up, but that of the other 2 as well. A producer at Toei already said DB won't return to TV until they're sure they can do it right, something that won't be possible until DQ is over.
We also musn't forget the world will still be fighting Covid-19 next year.
Normal production schedules will remain difficult to attain, let alone a monstrous DB-DQ combination that would even be nearly impossible with good results in more certain times.
It seems like DQ Dai will also shift more and more to 3D animation though, so it’s not really a given that it will keep on being such a staff demanding show. Also it’s difficult to tell whether or not there will be enough staff without being a Toei insider.

I wouldn’t dismiss a probable come back of Super in 2021 for those reasons alone.

Especially not when considering that Digimon, which is the show where most of the old Super regulars are currently on, seems like it is very little animated and a stillsfest (or so I have read around, despite the fact the first few episodes were very well animated and moved a lot). There’s a possibility that the decline in Digimon’s animation, despite the fact they got a break due to Covid which probably helped production as animators could work from home, can be explained by a possible shift of its staff to the next DB project.

Dismiss? I simply don't conclude from a fart that's being released from Shueisha, a new domain (which at the end of the day still could be everything, even referring to the manga or even a game), the anime could be coming back.

in 2019 first there was the big joke of Supers certain return. Later that year it was the same thing with Ryō Horikawas statement before Jump Festa. Everyone thought for sure something big was coming up, but nothing happened. Shouldn't we learn something from that?

I think it's more reasonable to believe, if this domain has something to do with new animated content, it's the movie. Because it has been confirmed to be in pre-production twice now. Supers returns hasn't even been confirmed once by TOEI Japan staff.
I don't believe the anime will return in 2021 at this point, no, and if you promote it will, i suggest you bring on some more convincing arguments, because at this moment there aren't any.

Matches Malone
I Live Here

Post by Matches Malone » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:42 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:47 pm
I think it's more reasonable to believe, if this domain has something to do with new animated content, it's the movie.
It wouldn't make sense for Super to return before the movie, nor would it make sense for the movie and a new show to be made together while Toei's already working on 3 other shows. I think the best we can hope for is an announcement following the movie's release in the fall of next year, for a summer/fall 2022 air date.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:55 pm

I'll welcome a movie. I take it that it will be set before the Moro arc storywise? Since the Moro arc has yet to be animated, and most people are exposed to the anime rather than the manga. I imagine a lot of people would be confused or lost if it were set after the Moro arc. They'd probably go "Wait, why can Goku turn on Ultra Instinct at will when he said he can't do that at the end of the ToP?"
My form is justice. And my form is the world. Worship me. Give praise unto me. Me, the beautiful, the sublime. Me, the invincible, the almighty and divine. All Hail Zamasu!

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:21 pm

A new movie will likely be set right after the Broly one, and nothing from the Moro arc will be referenced or brought up.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:06 pm

I doubt that they will make a movie set after Broly but before Moro. Moro’s arc begins with Goku teleporting back from Vampa, so there’s no way to fit a movie there unless they intend to overwrite Moro’s arc and I just can’t see such a thing happening.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:19 pm

It won't surprise me if they adapt the Moro arc into a movie. I think there's enough chapters for a movie that runs at 2 hours.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:41 am

I haven't followed the Moro arc entirely, I've heard some say it's too long for a movie and others too short. I suppose they could condense the story but I wonder what they'd leave out.

Matches Malone
I Live Here

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:18 am

precita wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:41 am
I haven't followed the Moro arc entirely, I've heard some say it's too long for a movie and others too short. I suppose they could condense the story but I wonder what they'd leave out.
A 1:1 adaption would be too much for a movie, but there's a lot they can cut out that will result in a better story.

Skar
Advanced Regular

Post by Skar » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:05 am

emperior wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:06 pm
I doubt that they will make a movie set after Broly but before Moro. Moro’s arc begins with Goku teleporting back from Vampa, so there’s no way to fit a movie there unless they intend to overwrite Moro’s arc and I just can’t see such a thing happening.
After the recent interview, it seems Toriyama is more involved in this arc than we originally thought so I can't see the Moro arc being skipped over. Like you said, it begins immediately after DBS: Broly so it can't really take place between Broly and Moro.

The new Demon Slayer is adapting a manga arc and already grossed $150 million in two weeks and 9th highest grossing anime film of all time. That's with all the Covid restrictions and limited seating capacity. Demon Slayer was the best selling manga of 2019 and this year so far so an adapation of a DBS manga arc likely wouldn't do as well but still successful enough.

If they already started production on the next movie, I'm not sure if they could adapt the Moro arc unless Toriyama and Toyotaro gave them the completed script and the manga version is the same with more added each month.

MeMeDZEHH

Post by MeMeDZEHH » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:48 am

If the new series has the same schedule or an even better one than Dragon Quest, the staff can easily switch up between both anime. Just the Dragon Ball name can bring young freelance animator working on the Show. Digimon is practically outsourced.
For me, the only problem i see, it's that we know TOEI is working on World Trigger. If it's full or partially outsourced, the chances for a new DB anime are really decent.

Gt91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gt91 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am

We can still have a movie about the past, for example on Zalama, the original SSG ecc, without Goku and co.
For me, it's a possibility.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:03 am

Gt91 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am
We can still have a movie about the past, for example on Zalama, the original SSG ecc, without Goku and co.
An entire movie ONLY on background lore would be boring, the ideal would be a movie set in the present day that might have a sequence set in the past. The Broly movie for example had an entire sequence set decades ago in the final days of Planet Vegeta, then transitions to present day after the Tournament of Power.

I think if they wanted to give particular attention to some of the background lore that happened decades or even centuries ago, they should expand on that in anime arcs, not movies. For example, I would enjoy a mini anime arc of like 5-6 episodes that explains the background lore revolving around Zalama and the Super Dragon Balls.
My form is justice. And my form is the world. Worship me. Give praise unto me. Me, the beautiful, the sublime. Me, the invincible, the almighty and divine. All Hail Zamasu!

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Is it possible they can do a movie with a trip to planet Sadala? Just do a story with Goku/Vegeta visiting Cabba/Caulifa/Kale like they promised they would. It was the one thing foreshadowed during the Super anime that never actually happened in the anime, with Vegeta wanting to meet the King.

I get the feeling they would want to market Caulifa/Kale again too in a movie.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:45 pm

Honestly they can just change the time when the Moro arc starts. If it starts right after Goku leaves Planet Vampa, then change it to 3 weeks or 1 month after the fight with Broly. That way you can cram a new movie in there between Broly movie and Moro arc. Maybe a movie about Planet Sadala! Caulifla and Kale are very popular, they would make for good poster girls for that movie.

Matches Malone
I Live Here

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:50 pm

precita wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:40 pm
Is it possible they can do a movie with a trip to planet Sadala?
Of course, as Saiyans are a major marketing point for the franchise, which would make this kind of story perfect for a movie. Personally, I think a Cooler movie may be on the table as well.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:53 pm

I know it's probably too much to ask, but if they do go there it would be nice if Gohan and Trunks/Goten go with them, just to have all the U7 Saiyans visit the U6 planet. But knowing the writers it'll just be Goku/Vegeta again most likely...unfortunately.

Gt91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gt91 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:38 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:03 am
Gt91 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am
An entire movie ONLY on background lore would be boring, the ideal would be a movie set in the present day that might have a sequence set in the past. The Broly movie for example had an entire sequence set decades ago in the final days of Planet Vegeta, then transitions to present day after the Tournament of Power.

I think if they wanted to give particular attention to some of the background lore that happened decades or even centuries ago, they should expand on that in anime arcs, not movies. For example, I would enjoy a mini anime arc of like 5-6 episodes that explains the background lore revolving around Zalama and the Super Dragon Balls.
Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku, for example, wasn't boring at all, but i see your point.
They can still do something about the past, as i said, and continue it with the new saga (they introduce Zalama in the movie and then they focus on him in the new saga).

Yes, they can talk about the trip to Salada and they can create a story placed in a limited amount of time/years, before proceeding with the EOZ.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:58 pm

Skar wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:05 am
emperior wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:06 pm
After the recent interview, it seems Toriyama is more involved in this arc than we originally thought so I can't see the Moro arc being skipped over. Like you said, it begins immediately after DBS: Broly so it can't really take place between Broly and Moro.

The new Demon Slayer is adapting a manga arc and already grossed $150 million in two weeks and 9th highest grossing anime film of all time. That's with all the Covid restrictions and limited seating capacity. Demon Slayer was the best selling manga of 2019 and this year so far so an adapation of a DBS manga arc likely wouldn't do as well but still successful enough.

If they already started production on the next movie, I'm not sure if they could adapt the Moro arc unless Toriyama and Toyotaro gave them the completed script and the manga version is the same with more added each month.

DB-anime is just being streamed illegally in a lot of cases. Maybe not in Japan, but it is in other countries worldwide.
That's a lot of loss of revenue. This while it costs the most to make by far.

If they made a movie about the Moro arc, there are the direct ticket sales of the movie. That's revenue.

But it would also be a big promotion worldwide for the entire DBS (and DB) manga (as this would be the reference being made), which is available worldwide. People still tend to order a physical copy of a book if they really like it.
The movie could also become the worldwide launch of the Moro-arc-related merchandise:
figures of Merus, Moro in his different forms, 7-3 etc. being released, those characters being integrated in video games ...
That's all revenue as well.

Not sure the movie will be the Moro arc, could still be something completely different, but it would not come as a surprise either.
I'm not completely against an adaptation of the arc in this format, but i do hope Toriyama rewrites the manga arc thoroughly and fleshes out the new characters if it were the case. Although in case of that scenario, there might only be one basic script for the Moro arc, made by Toriyama and Toyotaro, from which TOEI only uses some parts to adapt into a movie (just like with the Broly-movie, for which Toriyama had written a script that was way too long for the movie itself).

YamiGoku
Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:30 am

For the love of god and everything Dragon Ball I hope they don't do the Moro arc as a movie

I won't mind the Moro arc if they adapted it to the anime because that will be constant DB content, but having to wait months and months just to watch a movie where I already know what is going to happen is bad, but on top of that, the DB content will be over again for god knows how long...

I prefer the anime, but if they do a movie, at last make a new story, don't make me wait years for new DB content just for a movie where i know what happens, that would be the worst for me.