"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:13 pm

soulnova wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Ssjg would be more entertainingly obvious on Vegeta, but seeing how he's so used to deceiving power/appearance (at least earlier in the series even he was shorter). I don't know how likely comedic reactions from him would be. (I thought Gokû's reaction to himself in ssjg in BOG was cute because of how he kept checking his arms, repeatedly, at the start. X3 ) Though I am always up for fun Vegeta reaction faces.

I don't know why, but the only way I can picture Vegeta's first SsjG transformation reaction is him checking out his behind first before anything else. :lol:
:lol: Toei does tend to give Vegeta a pronounced butt. XD I could see this happening.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Is it possible that Bog has another arc?, where we could see Champa and ???.Since we are getting new ending from episode 13 and It looks like movie retelling will end at episode 13 too.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:43 pm

Sodhi wrote:Is it possible that Bog has another arc?, where we could see Champa and ???.Since we are getting new ending from episode 13 and It looks like movie retelling will end at episode 13 too.
We probably we will get something between BOG and ROF. At least, I hope so. If they are doing a retteling, at least show everything (Goku/ Vegeta go training with Whis)
We still didn't get this Champa/Whis Waifu scenes. They can't be too far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Cau3tep2g
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 pm

Can anyone confirm what the exact wording is when Goku says even Vegetto couldn't beat Beerus? I know he doesn't specify a form or anything, but is it more like "if we fused we'd still stand absolutely no chance", or is it more along the lines of "if we fused it'd still be really difficult" (implying a much smaller gap)? If anyone knows what the exact phrasing is, anyway.
FortuneSSJ wrote: We still didn't get this Champa/Whis Waifu scenes. They can't be too far:
We can only hope.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Captain Space wrote:Can anyone confirm what the exact wording is when Goku says even Vegetto couldn't beat Beerus? I know he doesn't specify a form or anything, but is it more like "if we fused we'd still stand absolutely no chance", or is it more along the lines of "if we fused it'd still be really difficult" (implying a much smaller gap)? If anyone knows what the exact phrasing is, anyway.
FortuneSSJ wrote: We still didn't get this Champa/Whis Waifu scenes. They can't be too far:
We can only hope.
This is from the fact checker thread.

Minute: 20
Context: after Goku regains consciousness following his fight with Beerus
Goku: “This ain’t good. The only way to get stronger would be to merge with Vegeta…and even then, I don’t think I could win.”
Significance: Pretty much the same line originally appeared in the extended edition of BoG. The word for “merge” here is 合体/gattai, which in Japanese is used to refer to both Potara fusion and the Fusion dance. Though in Japanese the proper name for the Metamorean dance-style Fusion is simply the English word "Fusion" (フュージョン/Fuujon), this is treated as a proper noun and the process itself is referred to with Japanese words for fusing/merging such as 融合/yuugou and 合体/gattai. Goku even introduces the Fusion dance as a 合体技/gattai-waza, "merging technique", when the concept makes its debut in chapter 469. On the other hand, the process of fusing with the Potara is always described as 合体/gattai, and not with the English word "Fusion" or the Japanese 融合/yuugou.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:45 am

Thanks very much! (I suppose it makes sense that they wouldn't use the word "Fusion"; this current/new canon seems to have no interest in having Gogeta exist. At least not so far.)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:27 am

July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:25 am

Ahh so that Champa figure isn't due out until March makes sense. Guess that means it is likely we won't see him in "F" arc aswell.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:58 am

The way things are falling, I can see Uni 6 not starting till January. I hope they can keep interest up until then.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:24 pm

Chuquita wrote:The way things are falling, I can see Uni 6 not starting till January. I hope they can keep interest up until then.
To me it feels like they are setting it up now, and it could take place between BoG and RoF.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:45 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:-About the the new ending-
Funniest thing about changing the ending is that the opening is what sucks.
The ending is awesome. The opening is bad and they will keep it until the end. They will probably just change some clips like they did with Kai.
There's a slight chance they may update it in the 24/26 area
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Chuquita wrote:The way things are falling, I can see Uni 6 not starting till January. I hope they can keep interest up until then.
To me it feels like they are setting it up now, and it could take place between BoG and RoF.
Didn't Toriyama say that U6 arc came after BoG and RoF arcs

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm

garfield15 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote: To me it feels like they are setting it up now, and it could take place between BoG and RoF.
That he did.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Captain Space wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote: To me it feels like they are setting it up now, and it could take place between BoG and RoF.
That he did.
Oh did he? I guess I missed that interview. I just assumed it was going to happen soon because of Champa appearing in the manga already, and Toriyama usually doesn't do much foreshadowing.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:05 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote: Oh did he? I guess I missed that interview. I just assumed it was going to happen soon because of Champa appearing in the manga already, and Toriyama usually doesn't do much foreshadowing.
Yeah, it's kind of weird how early Toyotaro is foreshadowing Champa and girl-Whis given how unlikely it is that they're gonna appear in the anime version for a good while.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Captain Space wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Oh did he? I guess I missed that interview. I just assumed it was going to happen soon because of Champa appearing in the manga already, and Toriyama usually doesn't do much foreshadowing.
Yeah, it's kind of weird how early Toyotaro is foreshadowing Champa and girl-Whis given how unlikely it is that they're gonna appear in the anime version for a good while.
It's a way to keep fans interested and expectant of the new material. In the anime trailer they showed Champa and she who won't be named; yet they haven't appeared so far.

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Post by garfield15 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Captain Space wrote:
I've had a theory about this and its going to sound weird for us but would make sense maybe for Japan.

What if the stuff in the manga with Champa and FemWhis is supposed to be happening at the same time as the anime? Like this stuff with them is happening in the other medium and Japanese kids will have read it already so that when BoG arc ends and we first see Champa on animation, the audience will be familiar with him and they don't have to spend much time introducing him "again"

This sounds needlessly complicated, and it is, but think about how Jaco was just in a short manga that happened to be a DB prequel and then ended up in RoF, talking about things that only happened in that manga, it would be something like that again

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:43 pm

garfield15 wrote:
I've had a theory about this and its going to sound weird for us but would make sense maybe for Japan.

What if the stuff in the manga with Champa and FemWhis is supposed to be happening at the same time as the anime? Like this stuff with them is happening in the other medium and Japanese kids will have read it already so that when BoG arc ends and we first see Champa on animation, the audience will be familiar with him and they don't have to spend much time introducing him "again"

This sounds needlessly complicated, and it is, but think about how Jaco was just in a short manga that happened to be a DB prequel and then ended up in RoF, talking about things that only happened in that manga, it would be something like that again
I guess its more like Toyotaro playing the cards right to make it interesting. Super is a monthly manga with a weekly chapter size.
The pacing has to be good and show new content to keep fans interesting. Let the anime flesh out things better.

Casual fans don't read manga.
People that are reading the manga already watched BOG, so they gave free pass to Toyotaro do his own thing. And he's doing the right thing to use Champa/Whis Waifu already.

Manga/Anime are not happening at the "same time". Important things that are revealed in the manga will be revelead in the anime too, just later.
You don't have to watch both to understand what's happening.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:09 pm

Noah wrote:Well, If Toriyama ignores Bra existence as Super advances in timeline with Pan at age of 3 or something, than this series will be filler indeed
This series is a filler anyway, as it is created by Toei, while being based on BoG and RoF. It is kind of like what DB/Z is to Dragon Ball manga, only sliding in GT's route, considering there was no manga, written by Toriyama, as a base for either Super or BoG/RoF.
fadeddreams5 wrote:Maybe Bra is adopted and just happens to look like Bulma. =D
Or Pan is Bra.
Noah wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I don't care about EoZ, but I really like the concept of Vegeta and Bra hanging out, doing parent and child stuff. I don't wanna lose that.
For me Bra have way more potential than Pan in my opinion. She's a half Saiyan like Trunks and Gohan not a not a half-half Saiyan like Pan.
Vegeta could even train her and she could actually like to be in battles different of her GT counterpart.
This is not something that Toei or Toriyama ever makes.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
Noah wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I don't care about EoZ, but I really like the concept of Vegeta and Bra hanging out, doing parent and child stuff. I don't wanna lose that.
For me Bra have way more potential than Pan in my opinion. She's a half Saiyan like Trunks and Gohan not a not a half-half Saiyan like Pan.
Vegeta could even train her and she could actually like to be in battles different of her GT counterpart.
Pan has more potential for being the daughter of Gohan and having the fighting spirit of Goku. She can essentially become what Gohan didn't.

I maintain that Bra should be unassumingly strong, but not a fighter either. I'd be happy with her having a support role like Bulma, only a less sassy persona. Something like Winry from FMA. Goodness I despise her GT personality... so much.
GT's versions of teen Pan and Bra are the only ones we'll get, and they will always be the best, as neither Toei or Toriyama does give a single damn about them right now.
Chuquita wrote:
I actually really like the current ending song, but having a new one each arc is nice. I hope the imagery to go with it is something fresh. They can't nostalgia forever, especially since this is "new" material, unlike Kai.
They can. It is Toei. The first opening of Saint Seiya Omega was Pegasus Fantasy right again. And the opening of Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold is Soldier Dream.
Captain Space wrote:
irreality wrote:
Captain Space wrote:
Plot twist: Her name actually is just a bunch of question marks.
"She who must not be named" :)
Every time she tries to say her name something loud drowns it out (Goku drops something, a train/steamboat goes by, random thunder...).
Reminds me of Gothic games.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Noah wrote:
Captain Space wrote:Yeah, I think one of my greatest fears is that they'll literally just retread RF without showing any of those power-ups/downs (and the potential interesting character stuff that accompanies them) actually occurring. Seeing as they have much more time to do that in this format than the movie did.
I'm afraid that I might see that happening... Toriyama never cared about details, actually
Well, the retelling of BOG and ROF are 100% Toei. So if nothing gets expanded with the retelling of ROF, it's all down to Toei, not Toriyama.
Also this. Super so far is fully a project of Toei, much like Dragon Ball/Z anime was, only with having no Toriyama's manga as base, so inclining towards GT.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:54 pm

Perhaps this is said before, but is Gregory canon or not? He appears in the anime (super) not BOG or manga.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:Perhaps this is said before, but is Gregory canon or not? He appears in the anime (super) not BOG or manga.
There is no "canon". He was designed by Toriyama himself and appears in the Z anime, Kai, the 2008 JSAT special (along with its manga counterpart) and Super. Take that as you will.