Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Post Reply
User avatar
TJVY
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TJVY » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:27 pm

17 for me and for some reason, I have a deing Toriyama will bring him back and give him something to do. Just going off of that interview where he announced their real names, etc.

But who knows! Wbu?
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20624
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Lunch, #17, Master Roshi, The Pilaf Gang, Bora and Upa.

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Pilaf, Mai and Shu turning old again.

Lunch 1 and Lunch 2.

Lapis and his family.

Yamcha.

Tenshinhan & Chiaotzu.

Actually, pretty much everyone.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

User avatar
Dyno
Banned
Posts: 2235
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:38 pm

Same topic, just with other words, but okay, my list again:

• Bardock
• Gine
• Tights
• Jaco
• Uub
• Son Goten
• Trunks
• Gotenks
• Tarble
• King Vegeta
• Lazuli
• Lapis
• Lapis' children
• Pan

The addition of the remaining Kaios and Kaioshins would also be interesting.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3601
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Gine is an old character? Or am I misunderstanding.

Note, I dont hate Gine, while what I heard of Dragon Ball Minus I ¨didnt quite like, I do hope Gine is more developed and showcased.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Dyno
Banned
Posts: 2235
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Chronologically, yes. And yeah, hope she appears. She looks cute, just needing character development. xD

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:57 pm

I personally feel we've seen enough of Pilaf. His appearance in Battle of Gods was understandable, since it was the first new material in ages, but he doesn't really fit the tone of the series at this point to me. He worked in the lighthearted early Dragon Ball, and left at a good time with the Great Demon King Piccolo. It was a well done move to showcase that the series had gotten darker and had went past the cartoony villains like Pilaf.

I don't want to be accused of acting like Dragon Ball is "hardcore seinen adult" stuff, but I think we got enough Pilaf in Dragon Ball, especially in the anime. Him and his gang were good gag characters, but they don't belong in a post "gag series" Dragon Ball in my eyes. That's not to say that Super can't have lighthearted and silly moments.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3601
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:00 pm

Hey! I think you are Latin American too! I do hope she gets to fight, even in a Flashback.

Also I find it weird that Toriyama retconed Bardock into being more heroic and touchy feely....while complaining that Toei made Goku too heroic and touchy feely.

I actually think Dragon Ball Minus retcons can be made more palatable with further exploration and development.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
TJVY
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TJVY » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I personally feel we've seen enough of Pilaf. His appearance in Battle of Gods was understandable, since it was the first new material in ages, but he doesn't really fit the tone of the series at this point to me. He worked in the lighthearted early Dragon Ball, and left at a good time with the Great Demon King Piccolo. It was a well done move to showcase that the series had gotten darker and had went past the cartoony villains like Pilaf.

I don't want to be accused of acting like Dragon Ball is "hardcore seinen adult" stuff, but I think we got enough Pilaf in Dragon Ball, especially in the anime. Him and his gang were good gag characters, but they don't belong in a post "gag series" Dragon Ball in my eyes, and they're pretty much one note characters anyway. That's not to say that Super can't have lighthearted and silly moments.
Yeah I agree, I'm not too fussed on Pilaf I just don't really think their characters are relevant nor will they ever be. I get that they're one note villains and though that is essentially the gag, I hope that they stay hidden now that they've got their money finally.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

User avatar
Dyno
Banned
Posts: 2235
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:57 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Hey! I think you are Latin American too! I do hope she gets to fight, even in a Flashback.

Also I find it weird that Toriyama retconed Bardock into being more heroic and touchy feely....while complaining that Toei made Goku too heroic and touchy feely.

I actually think Dragon Ball Minus retcons can be made more palatable with further exploration and development.
A fight? That's... Well that would be amazing considering she actually doesn't fight. :lol: What you are asking for is in reality a scene where Bardock shows up and saves her. That would also be cool, to say the least. Not only more of both and character development, as we would be able to see the Saiyans' "rarity" of relationship. xD

My only complaining regarding to Bardock is his design. His design in the TV Special and Chapter 307 was badass enough to change. There wasn't need to do anything with it.

And I totally agree with you on that one. :wink:

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by One_Instance » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Pretty much the same as the others here. I want Lunch, Lazuli, pretty much everyone from the OG Dragon Ball gang, Bora, Upa, Karin, maybe Baba, Tenshinhan, Choazu, Tarble, Pilaf from time to time.

Ha-chan and Suno would be nice to see again too. (I kind of stole those, but I couldn't think of them earlier and I do like those two.)
Last edited by One_Instance on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Not an old character, but I'm actually kind of curious if Toriyama will incorporate Jaco in here more. maybeevenleadhimintohisownserieshmmmmmmmmmmm?

But, yeah more Tenshinhan would be nice, especially if he becomes more of a regular like towards the end of Dragon Ball. Maybe Yamcha and Lunch, if Toriyama can think of something.

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Not really an "old" character but Jaco would be fantastic.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13949
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:43 pm

I would like to see #8, Tarble and #17 back.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
sbk
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by sbk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Relevant and useful Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin (like in the Saiyan arc)

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20624
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I would like to see #8, Tarble and #17 back.
Yes. Tarable. I'd love to see him again. Also, more Tien, Yamcha, Puar and Oolong would be welcome.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11376
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:55 pm

I don't really want to see any characters again without good reason. If, for example, there is some space travel or something, I wouldn't mind is Jaco was their escort and they ran into Tarble or something in order to further the plot, that's fine. Forcing them in just for the sake of seeing them is not the path I'd like for this series to go though.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm
Location: Gengoro Island

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by One_Instance » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:02 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I don't really want to see any characters again without good reason. If, for example, there is some space travel or something, I wouldn't mind is Jaco was their escort and they ran into Tarble or something in order to further the plot, that's fine. Forcing them in just for the sake of seeing them is not the path I'd like for this series to go though.
Well yeah, I'm sure no one here wants them to just be thrown in there, that would make you wish they weren't there to begin with.

User avatar
Scott
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 am
Location: On a little blue planet in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

Probably only 17 and Launch. I think the cast is big enough as it is to be honest.

User avatar
HG-Project
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by HG-Project » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:38 pm

...I think a better question is who's not going to get included in the main group because clearly they can't jam-pack everyone and their mothers aboard the Super train...

As for who I want to see in the series, it might be best to wait it out till we actually know what the general plotline and the tone of the series will be, but I like the youngsters/new gen. Won't complain if they're included in the focal cast.
Last edited by HG-Project on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply