Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11375
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:04 pm

I like Tarble, but I honestly rather see Gine as the "weak survivor Saiyan" if only because she's a girl, and that's "new".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by irreality » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:56 pm

I guess they could have Vegeta have a sister instead of a brother, wouldn't make much of a plot difference. Gine surviving stretches plausibility -- if she could have left at the same time as Goku, I feel she would have gone to him immediately.

User avatar
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm
Location: Kami's Lookout.

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:25 pm

irreality wrote:I guess they could have Vegeta have a sister instead of a brother, wouldn't make much of a plot difference. Gine surviving stretches plausibility -- if she could have left at the same time as Goku, I feel she would have gone to him immediately.
She and Bardock both could have left,they threw him out into space basically on a whim. Nothing kept them there.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by irreality » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:38 pm

Didn't they have orders to return/stay on planet Vegeta? I believe Freeza's ship was monitoring the planet. An infant on a mission would have escaped detection, but I'm not sure adults that are supposed to be on planet would escape unnoticed.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11375
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:10 pm

They did, but it's not like you can't write around that if you really wanted to. Bardock dies (or gets time warped) in the manga, there is no getting around that with what's depicted. But for Gine? Just have Bardock tell Gine to escape while he goes to challenge Freeza because she's not a fighter. Her pod can take off in a cliche race against the planet's explosion, the result of which screws with their radar long enough for her to get away undetected.

Plausible at least, and took a whole 30 seconds to come up with. =P
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm
Location: Kami's Lookout.

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:30 pm

irreality wrote:Didn't they have orders to return/stay on planet Vegeta? I believe Freeza's ship was monitoring the planet. An infant on a mission would have escaped detection, but I'm not sure adults that are supposed to be on planet would escape unnoticed.
Yes but it'd be better to try to outrun eiher zarbon or dodoria sent to follow you the stay and blow up. I don't even recall seeing bardock die in minus. Didn't get a chance to own it (YET.)
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by irreality » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:36 pm

LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Yes but it'd be better to try to outrun eiher zarbon or dodoria sent to follow you the stay and blow up. I don't even recall seeing bardock die in minus. Didn't get a chance to own it (YET.)
But it is not like in the Bardock special, Bardock doesn't *know* planet Vegeta will be destroyed -- he just has a funny feeling something is not right. They send Goku out, but they tell him they will come get him right away if it turns out nothing happened. I guess they don't show anyone dying on screen so they could have run away at the 11th hour. It is *possible.* But then again, given we have had 3+ versions of Bardock's final moments, they could choose to rewrite it again.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11375
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:38 pm

He doesn't die in DB- because it doesn't cover that section of time. He's shown dying (or being blasted back in time) in the original manga when Freeza recalls the "Saiyan who opposed him till the end". Bardock's fate is fairly sealed in the Toriyama-verse, Gine has a few more options though.

Not that we will actually see her alive and well. If she appears on screen, I am almost certain it will be a flashback.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm
Location: Kami's Lookout.

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:19 pm

irreality wrote:
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta wrote: Yes but it'd be better to try to outrun eiher zarbon or dodoria sent to follow you the stay and blow up. I don't even recall seeing bardock die in minus. Didn't get a chance to own it (YET.)
But it is not like in the Bardock special, Bardock doesn't *know* planet Vegeta will be destroyed -- he just has a funny feeling something is not right. They send Goku out, but they tell him they will come get him right away if it turns out nothing happened. I guess they don't show anyone dying on screen so they could have run away at the 11th hour. It is *possible.* But then again, given we have had 3+ versions of Bardock's final moments, they could choose to rewrite it again.
But if he feels Goku needs o be moved from the planet(meaning he fears for the planet) he thinks he SHOULD leave,they even gave a reason why they don't. But what's the reason for making this inconstant story out o nowhere? Just like Jaco,I think it's a seed sowed by Toriyama. I think there's a chance we'll se gine. Bardock might have left 11th hour like you said.I honestly would absolutely love these 2 in super. It'd make up or the negatives minus has. (No pun intended.)
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

User avatar
TheDBZmaster100
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:51 am

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TheDBZmaster100 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:21 am

Android 17 playing an active role but I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama has actually forgotten about this character like he has forgotten Launch.

User avatar
TheDevilsCorpse
Moderator
Posts: 11375
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:34 am
Contact:

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:40 am

Toriyama didn't forget. We just got new information on 17/Lapis' life after the Cell Arc (wife, kids, job) last year.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

User avatar
LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1269
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm
Location: Kami's Lookout.

Re: Old characters you want to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by LSSJGODSSJ4Gogeta » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:22 am

TheDBZmaster100 wrote:Android 17 playing an active role but I wouldn't be surprised if Toriyama has actually forgotten about this character like he has forgotten Launch.
Ironically when he drew 17 in the buu saga it was originally gonna be launch.
Any post before 8/7/2016 isn't mine. This account was a gift from someone who thought the account was already banned. Saved me the trouble of making a new one haha XD

I love DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBZK/DBS (If I didn't why would I be here? XD)

Post Reply