What do you hope to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: What do you hope to see in Dragon Ball Super?

Post by Doctor. » Fri May 29, 2015 4:53 pm

I'll be honest here, what I hope, but don't expect, is this to blow me away. It's 2015, not the 80s and the 90s, the formula isn't gonna cut it anymore. I want this to surprise me like the Saiyan and Freeza arcs did. It'll probably still be entertaining and enjoyable even if it ends up mediocre or even bad, but I want this to stand on its own as a legitimately good work of fiction like the original manga did.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:09 pm

Pretty much what everyone said but also i want the battles to be intresting and kind of over the top ala ttgl,and asura wrath :D

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 pm

Doctor. wrote:I'll be honest here, what I hope, but don't expect, is this to blow me away. It's 2015, not the 80s and the 90s, the formula isn't gonna cut it anymore. I want this to surprise me like the Saiyan and Freeza arcs did. It'll probably still be entertaining and enjoyable even if it ends up mediocre or even bad, but I want this to stand on its own as a legitimately good work of fiction like the original manga did.
I don't expect "Saiyan arc shock" again, sparks like that that make a franchise into a phenomenon are very rare. What I hope for are well constructed arcs that utilize the large and interesting cast and can go into unexpected developements. Androids/Cell arc. Less of formulatic Buu or new movies. Beerus/Whis, 12 universes etc all has potential. But so far it's crumbling under formulatic Goku (& Vegeta) reunion party show we seem to be stuck in since 2008

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 29, 2015 9:33 pm

Basaku wrote:I hope for well constructed arcs that utilize the large and interesting cast and can go into unexpected developements.
What can you do with the current cast ?

If new characters aren't introduced then the only 2 we're going to see do anything are Goku&Vegeta.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 9:38 pm

sintzu wrote:What can you do with the current cast ?

If new characters aren't introduced then the only 2 we're going to see do anything are Goku&Vegeta.
Pan, Bra, Goten, Marron, Uub & Trunks (to a lesser degree because of Future Trunks) can literally go anywhere character & developement-wise. We only see them as kids in the series really, EOZ ends before it even beginds. Since it's quite clear neither Toriyama or Toei will be bothered much to match GT personalities/developement, they're basically starting from near-blank slate again.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri May 29, 2015 9:39 pm

I'm tired of all these fans who always ask for more of the same. Bring back Gogeta!! Do SSJ3 ssjgssj!!! It is so unimaginative to do those things. I want things to be different. It would be interesting to me if say, A villain finally gets granted the wish of immortality. Then it wouldn't matter how strong any of them are. The only way to beat them would be if one of them was immortal themselves. Perhaps that plane of existence gets wiped out and because they are immortal neither of them can die. Then that would lead to them being trapped in a void. Then maybe through space and time Whis offers to bring them into another similar dimension where they run into alternative versions of themselves. Maybe in this one Vegeta had always been stronger then Goku and their roles were somewhat reversed. It offers character interactions we haven't had before and the problem of living even after everyone you know dies. Let's say the villain got out of that dimension and threatened the other and they had to save it from the immortal villain. You know, stuff like that is more interesting to me then... Gogeta... Again.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 29, 2015 9:47 pm

Basaku wrote:Pan, Bra, Goten, Marron, Uub & Trunks (to a lesser degree because of Future Trunks) can literally go anywhere character & developement-wise.
How do you get them up to Goku&Vegeta's level ?

Marron is a human so she's in the same boat as the rest of them.
Pan&Bra are 4-5 years old.
Goten&Trunks don't train.
Piccolo doesn't train or can't get any stronger.
Gohan is...

There's potential with Uub and I guess Piccolo could get stronger by fusing with other Namakians or having a similar ritual to the Ssjg.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 29, 2015 9:49 pm

bleed0range wrote:I'm tired of all these fans who always ask for more of the same. Bring back Gogeta!! Do SSJ3 ssjgssj!!! It is so unimaginative to do those things. I want things to be different. It would be interesting to me if say, A villain finally gets granted the wish of immortality. Then it wouldn't matter how strong any of them are.
So, Garlic Jr.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 10:01 pm

sintzu wrote:How do you get them up to Goku&Vegeta's level ?
4 month training. Saiyan God circle taking turns and everyone becoming Gods. Not exactly sure why you're asking this? Thsi is fictional story, they can come up with any plot excuse and device they want to power up anyone necessary, just as it was done for Goku/Vegeta. The issue here is not whether anyone can reach Goku/Vegeta level but rather will they be allowed by Toriyama and/or Toei.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Basaku wrote:
4 month training.

Saiyan God circle taking turns and everyone becoming Gods.
That's exclusive to Freeza.

Their base power is nowhere near Goku&Vegeta's so even if they do the rituals they'll still be very far behind.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:31 pm

sintzu wrote:Their base power is nowhere near Goku&Vegeta's so even if they do the rituals they'll still be very far behind.
Sure they are. Hell if Goten and Trunks had that boost, and then they fused, they'd probably end up being the strongest since neither Goku or Vegeta want to do that.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 pm

We do remember how many people complained about Freeza getting to Goku and Vegeta's level? Yet apparently most want these really weak characters to get there too? I mean we could make Goku and Vegeta weaker like GT intended, but failed badly at. But this series is about Goku reaching new heights and showing he can overcome anything so I doubt they go that direction.

Honestly I hope Goku and Vegeta go to another of the twelve universes along with Beerus and meet new powerful characters that they are trying to catch up too, and forget the worthless characters like the Pan, Bra and Uub, who had like two chapters with them in it.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 10:34 pm

sintzu wrote: That's exclusive to Freeza.

Their base power is nowhere near Goku&Vegeta's so even if they do the rituals they'll still be very far behind.
This is fictional story, they can come up with any plot excuse and device they want to power up anyone necessary, just as it was done for Goku/Vegeta. The issue here is not whether anyone can reach Goku/Vegeta level but rather will they be allowed by Toriyama and/or Toei.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat May 30, 2015 2:10 am

Rocketman wrote:
bleed0range wrote:I'm tired of all these fans who always ask for more of the same. Bring back Gogeta!! Do SSJ3 ssjgssj!!! It is so unimaginative to do those things. I want things to be different. It would be interesting to me if say, A villain finally gets granted the wish of immortality. Then it wouldn't matter how strong any of them are.
So, Garlic Jr.
Haha, oh yeah. I forgot he was immortal. Dang. What haven't they done yet?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 30, 2015 4:42 am

Basaku wrote:This is fictional story, they can come up with any plot excuse and device they want to power up anyone necessary.
This fictional story has rules to follow so no you can't just do anything with anyone.
Retan wrote:We do remember how many people complained about Freeza getting to Goku and Vegeta's level?

Yet apparently most want these really weak characters to get there too?
They didn't want Freeza back so they used that among other things to make it look bad.

If this fan base is good at one thing it's throwing the story's rules to the side in favor of their personal opinions regardless of how they'll clash with everything else.
Retan wrote:I hope Goku and Vegeta forget the worthless characters like the Pan, Bra and Uub, who had like two chapters with them in it.
The only characters they'll be around will be new ones who can keep up with them and maybe Piccolo if Toriyama can find some way to get him to they're level but in terms of their kids and the human,people should just forget about them.
dbzfan7 wrote:If Goten and Trunks had that boost, and then they fused, they'd probably end up being the strongest since neither Goku or Vegeta want to do that.
The power they'd get from the fusion and ritual will depend on their base power which is very weak now.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat May 30, 2015 10:49 am

sintzu wrote:This fictional story has rules to follow so no you can't just do anything with anyone.
They made up a reason for Freeza to be up there. Goten was stronger than Freeza without any harsh training either.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat May 30, 2015 10:58 am

Goten needed to transform to be stronger than Freeza, but Freeza was supposedly that strong with no training what so ever in his true form. Freeza is a lot stronger when comparing base forms.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:49 am

Basaku wrote:The issue here is not whether anyone can reach Goku/Vegeta level but rather will they be allowed by Toriyama and/or Toei.
Hopefully not. This is getting silly at this point.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 30, 2015 4:47 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Basaku wrote:The issue here is not whether anyone can reach Goku/Vegeta level but rather will they be allowed by Toriyama and/or Toei.
Hopefully not. This is getting silly at this point.
It already got very silly with Super Saiyan 4, and, well, GT as a whole.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:If Goten and Trunks had that boost, and then they fused, they'd probably end up being the strongest since neither Goku or Vegeta want to do that.
The power they'd get from the fusion and ritual will depend on their base power which is very weak now.
They weren't that far behind Goku & Vegeta to begin with (excluding forms). So logically SSGSS fusion with Gotenks would surpass them.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!