Super as continuation of Z/Kai or Manga/Toriyama movies?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Super as continuation of Z/Kai or Manga/Toriyama movies?

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 pm

I don't care what "most fans" are okay with. I go with what the legal owners want. And accuracy is not one of those things. And most fans don't care. Not every Dragon Ball fan has the behaviour of making a pseudo-science out of Dragon Ball.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:54 pm

Well GT is a thing in the past and is hardly relevant these days outside the video games. The main target audience for Dragon Ball in Japan most likely never seen GT anyways and they most likely feel like that they don't have to worry about connecting it with the current Dragon Ball. If Toei and Shueisha feels like if Toriyama wants to over write then it's okay. Not to mention Toei most likely knows that most fans don't like GT and if something sucks from past installments then they can ignore it if they want (X-Men, Alien/Predator, Cyborg009, Halloween, Twisted Metal and Superman comes to mind for examples).
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Your post is full of assumptions/in cases so I don't know why we are discussing about this. I am fine with one "if" (if they want to include whatever no matter how much sense it makes) but you seem to insist on many ifs that even depend on stuff we do not know.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:16 pm

Cetra wrote:I don't care what "most fans" are okay with. I go with what the legal owners want.
You make it sound like Shueisha and Toei probably still care for GT which I doubt they do. Bandai still makes merchandise from DBZ Movie 1-13 and GT characters because they are merchandise company and they will find ways to make toys out of anything even if it's irrelevant. If they did care about GT happening then how come they allow Toriyama do what he wanted with Golden Freeza, the new god forms and the other crazy shit in recent history? Stuff like Freeza's new form, the god forms, Jaco and Beerus & Whis just make GT harder to fit into the main timeline. Goku still uses forms beyond SSj forms despite Toryiama saying that he does not need too. I also doubt Toriyama cares too much about GT neither. He just wants to tell a good story and can careless about retcons. He retcons his own work.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:19 pm

I don't think they care about continuity at all. It has nothing to do with just GT.

"Original author providing more DB content? Sign us up!"
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 pm

If you really want to use official companies on the placement of GT in the story then Xenoverse does view GT as a different timeline (Bandai is a merchandise owner to the series). Someone will be like "Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi say GT is a normal continuation as well as the movies". Well that was a long time ago before Toriyama return heavily with the franchise and even those statements can be debatable since we all know that not all of the old DBZ movies can fit.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her

lordsigma

Post by lordsigma » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:27 pm

Really you're right, what I said before is also over complicating it just as much as trying to come up with a canon. I doubt Toriyama or Toei spend too much time thinking about what is canon and what isn't it is fiction! Really it all comes down to what we like and what we don't like. The Trunks special contradicts the manga version so it should be non canon by many peoples' definitions, but most would argue that the anime version is the better storyline and thus say it is canon which contradicts what is usually said about other anime only stuff, it really comes down to what people like. And in a lot of ways the canon argument at its heart is an argument about what people like and don't like.