"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Kagari
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 897
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:11 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Kagari » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:26 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Somehow I get a feeling more joke material is coming my way from this little interaction.
Here's a basic translation:

User avatar
Blade
I Live Here
Posts: 2261
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:45 pm
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:29 pm

I love the colour cover page of the opposing rosters - it's like looking at two parties in a Dragon Quest game. I get how some people are a little narked that Toriyama's designs are sort of derivative of his earlier work - but this is Akira Toriyama, he's always been this way, it's part of the charm that makes his work so deeply distinctive.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

User avatar
dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 13037
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Earth
Contact:

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Kagari wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Somehow I get a feeling more joke material is coming my way from this little interaction.
Here's a basic translation:
Ah more delicious mocking material. Also giving me the impression that he learns nothing in F.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

User avatar
omaro34
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1832
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Location: Western Canada

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by omaro34 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:45 pm

I'm so tempted to post this on my page but I know my fans wouldn't like spoilers.

That 5th fighter for U7 just looks off to me. But I'll hold my judgement until we learn more. I'm glad there's diversity on both teams. I would hate seeing 5 Saiyans vs 5 Saiyans
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Basaku » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:50 pm

omaro34 wrote:I'm so tempted to post this on my page but I know my fans wouldn't like spoilers.

That 5th fighter for U7 just looks off to me. But I'll hold my judgement until we learn more. I'm glad there's diversity on both teams. I would hate seeing 5 Saiyans vs 5 Saiyans
Diversity is great but really, couldn't U6 Saiyan at least get a different hairstyle? Couldn't U6 Freeza look more unique? Cooler looked like Freeza's race yet still unique. Purple Cell doesn't look particularly good either, too much of a mash-up of old design elements. And the Nipple guy will forever be known as the Nipple guy because that's the only memorable thing about his design :|

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by precita » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Anyone think the purple Cell guy looks exactly like that red Cell knock-off that Pikkon fought in the Otherworld tournament?

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:55 pm

You're jumping the gun. Just wait until we get to know them better, I'm pretty sure the Freeza guy has a good reason to look just like him.
precita wrote:Anyone think the purple Cell guy looks exactly like that red Cell knock-off that Paikuhan fought in the Otherworld tournament?
Not exactly alike but I thought about that guy as well. And Paikuhan.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Basaku wrote:Diversity is great but really, couldn't U6 Saiyan at least get a different hairstyle? Couldn't U6 Freeza look more unique? Cooler looked like Freeza's race yet still unique. Purple Cell doesn't look particularly good either, too much of a mash-up of old design elements. And the Nipple guy will forever be known as the Nipple guy because that's the only memorable thing about his design :|
The Freeza guy is like that on purpose though, just like Champa and Vados. Goku and Vegeta comment on his appearance, so it's not like Toriyama is ripping off Freeza and calling him a completely different, unrelated character. Plus, he may look difference once/if he transforms.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by precita » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:00 pm

So they only went with one Saiyan warrior? From the way Champa talked I thought we would see more than one Saiyan.

User avatar
KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6473
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:03 am
Location: Chicago, Illinois.

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:02 pm

I like that the Freeza race is pointed for looking like Freeza and he seems bothered/ashamed by it. U6 likely had their own and hes possibly a decent guy ashamed of Freeza giving his race a bad rep?
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Maybe he's fused.

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Basaku » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:04 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Basaku wrote:Diversity is great but really, couldn't U6 Saiyan at least get a different hairstyle? Couldn't U6 Freeza look more unique? Cooler looked like Freeza's race yet still unique. Purple Cell doesn't look particularly good either, too much of a mash-up of old design elements. And the Nipple guy will forever be known as the Nipple guy because that's the only memorable thing about his design :|
The Freeza guy is like that on purpose though, just like Champa and Vados. Goku and Vegeta comment on his appearance, so it's not like Toriyama is ripping off Freeza and calling him a completely different, unrelated character. Plus, he may look difference once/if he transforms.
You can't mistake Champa with Beerus. It's is an "easy/cheap" design trick just to make 1 fatter than the other? Yep but effective. They look instantly distinct. Same with gender swap between Whis and Vados. But then we have U6 Kaioshins that look different yet similar just enough.

U6 Freeza is not different enough. Not a good design. Nothing more to that, either there's something in it that makes it distinct enough to be instantly recognizable as different character or there isn't. Remember Goten note in EOZ manga chapter? "I gave adult Goten different haircut to make him distinct". Per Toriyama himself so yes, he does know it has to be done. He just doesn't apply it in all cases which is unfortunate.

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:11 pm

Basaku wrote:U6 Freeza is not different enough. Not a good design. Nothing more to that, either there's something in it that makes it distinct enough to be instantly recognizable as different character or there isn't. Remember Goten note in EOZ manga chapter? "I gave adult Goten different haircut to make him distinct". Per Toriyama himself so yes, he does know it has to be done. He just doesn't apply it in all cases which is unfortunate.
He has a different color, he doesn't have lipstick and his shoulder plates seem to be organic, while Freeza's are merely armor.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:11 pm

so i think
goku vs Freeza guy
vegeta vs saiyan
piccolo vs purple guy
buu vs bear
new guy vs robot

i also think the robot is the strongest
and hopefully buu and piccolo have got a power up

User avatar
miguelnuva1
I Live Here
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:13 pm

20 years later and he still want give us the female super saiyan?

User avatar
Cetra
I Live Here
Posts: 3856
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Cetra » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:14 pm

The Freeza guy rocks his style better than Freeza himself, in my opinion. Well, I do not like Freeza's first form.

I am not following the manga, are there only 5 people per universe or like 1-2 others per universe to be revealed?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Kishido
Banned
Posts: 1553
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Kishido » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Disappointed...

A Frieza guy was so clear... But well I hoped for a more unique design. The Piccolo looking guy is the only one interesting design wise. And holy shit... Either this Tarble looking Saiyan is complete fodder and Champa was really fooled thinking that Vegeta/Goku are some fodder or dunno. So far I can't take him seriously or can you see him going Super Saiyan Blue? (And amd that no female Saiyan)

Same goes for the last guy of Beerus team. A random nobody who looks completely boring. But well at least he has a lot of hype.

And Gohan is leaving at earth to protect it from what? And even if... We are speaking about Gohan... I bet if someone tries to enter earth he will own Gohan to trigger the plot for the next arc.

Further more I'm disappointed that there is no hint of Piccolo having training or soemthing... Realy instead we see Goku and Vegeta again...

EDIZ
LOL Gohan being away cuz of a meeting and Goku cursing him... Really?

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1778
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Basaku » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:20 pm

Cetra wrote:The Freeza guy rocks his style better than Freeza himself, in my opinion. Well, I do not like Freeza's first form.

I am not following the manga, are there only 5 people per universe or like 1-2 others per universe to be revealed?
5 vs 5. There may be some changes/unexpected swaps/reveals during the course of the arc but for now that's all

User avatar
LuckyCat
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 pm
Location: The Sacred Land
Contact:

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Imagine if Beerus' team loses, we'd be seeing truckloads of new characters in Earth's new universe.
Cipher wrote:The first and last word on Super's animation problems and why they exist.
(Have we transcended language to the point where we only communicate in YouTube links now? The talking has already been done for us.)

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7744
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Noah » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:24 pm

How is possible Goku and Vegeta training in the RoSaT again? Any explanations?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Post Reply