"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Can we assume that AGE refers to something other than year? Maybe decade or something? Is AGE ever used besides the guidebooks?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:14 pm

The calendar used might not be the same.
That would make the Dragon Balls about 700 years old. Just a bit more than two generations of Namekians, going by Kami's lifespan. Something might have been lost in translation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:19 pm

A bit late to the party, but I checked out the chapter I have to say that the U6 character designs, save the Freeza knock-off, are ingenious and just screams of Toriyama playing up to his beloved "Don't judge a book by its cover" trope. That alien with the huge nipples just slays me. It really does feel like something you'd see in the old school days of Dragon Ball.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:24 pm

This made me fanboy the fuck out:

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:25 pm

Holy cow, I'm kinda pleased for this new characters. Toriyama promised new characters, Toriyama delivered.
I say kinda because the lack of a female fighter (Is that mini Gohan a girl?!) is disappoiting.
And I have mixed feelings towards the Freeza's race guy.

If we don't get Golden Freeza as U7 fighter, I rathered have no one of his race. But I'm curious what Toriyama has in store with him. Maybe unlike Freeza, this guy trained a lot since the beginning?!

Anyway I'm freaking glad its not a saiyan fest. I was kind afraid Toriyama would slack off and just bring U7 characters counterparts. Thank Toriyama!
Its not perfect, but Its great.

Also, I don't watch Gohan anywhere. All his fammily is there, but not him. Is he already training somewhere? Foreshadowing something??! 8)
You're tearing me a part, Toriyama!

I already suspected this, but now I'm sure. We're in Super third arc, had some time skips, and two things will never change:
- Goten/trunks/Marron will never grow up. Other characters can get new designs, other can born (Pan) but these three are a lost cause.
- Pilaf gang wil appear at least once in every arc. Even though nodoby missed them in Z.

And unfortunately, I hate both of them. Not good for me.

Still, this chapter leaked out sooner that I expected. I only expected it by the end of this week. Hype!
ekrolo2 wrote:Was Beerus' design disliked by people when it was revealed? I pretty much liked him and Whis since the first time I watched the movie.
Every new thing is hated lottt first by some people, before growing up on them. (Or not).
If Beerus got bullied in his debut?! It was called Buggs Bunny, Mewtwo and Lucario. Ironically barely some of those people said that he looked like Anubis.
When Beerus vs SSJ3 Goku was released online a lot of people lost their shit, because how the almighty Goku SSJ3 got owned by a cat. Good times. :lol:
Now most of them already love him.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Doctor. wrote:Can we assume that AGE refers to something other than year? Maybe decade or something? Is AGE ever used besides the guidebooks?
Age comes directly from the manga:
Herms wrote: In Chapter 358, Trunks inspects Cell's time machine and says it came form "Age 788". This is the only reference to a specific year within the actual series itself. Starting with Daizenshuu 7 though, the guidebooks and other secondary material have made use of an elaborate calendar based around that single reference, as you can see above. The year marker is "Age", placed before the year number.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:34 pm

This should be the finished version. Reposting so that people don't have to go back and find it for now.
My fiance is currently reading the chapter. Apparently it's detail heavy, so a Herms translation at a later date may be preferred to a scanlation potentially butchering things.

Warning, the info below may not be 100% accurate. It is accurate to the Korean version, but mistakes could have been made while they originally translated from Japanese.

----
  • Jaco, despite being a super elite Galactic Patrolman, knows nothing about alternate universes or Super Dragon Balls. He wants to go to the tournament though because it should be interesting.
  • Bluma offers to bring his girlfriend too, but Jaco got dumped.
  • Zuno-san requests "gifts" in exchange for questions. Jaco goes to kiss him on the cheek and he blushes, but only gives him only one question because he's a guy.
  • Jaco asks about Bluma's bust size: Apparently it used to be 87.2cm, but after breastfeeding, it sagged a bit and now it's 83.4.
  • Despite being a girl, Bluma only gets 3 questions for her "gift" because she's middle aged and not Zuno's type.
  • Bluma's first question is accidentally used up when she asks if she only gets two more questions despite being "this pretty".
  • Bluma then asks about the Super Dragon Balls: called "wish orbs", they were formed in AGE 41 by the Shenlong (dragon god), Zarama/Jarama. They have a diameter of 37,196.2204km, and are a perfect sphere. Within Universe 6 and 7, combined, there's 7 in total of these light yellow orbs, and within each orb is a star marking varying from 1 to 7 stars. These markings are designed/made so that they always look like stars when viewed from any angle. This refraction technique is a structure original to Zarama/Jarama and was patented in AGE 42.
  • Those who collect all seven and speak in the god's language, "Come forth, Shenlong!" and then, "Grant my wish." get one wish fulfilled no matter what it is. Once the wish is granted, The orbs are immediately scattered throughout the two universes.
  • Bulma asks a rhetorical "Huh? 7 balls between the two universes?" and Zuno says "Yes", having her waste her third question even though she wanted to ask if they needed to use the exact wording for summoning". Zuno tells them to come back after a year.
  • Bluma and Jaco return to Earth, angry at each other for wasting their questions.
  • Goku and Vegeta discuss the tournament while training in the RoSaT for 3 days/3 years (no mention is made of how/why Vegeta can be in there at all after spending 2 days back in the Cell Arc as far as I'm aware, though Goku should have only had a day left too). Goku wonders if their opponents will really be strong, and Vegeta says they have to be since Champa saw their abilities and is still confident. Goku thinks Vegeta is smart for figuring that out, and Vegeta says of course he is compared to Goku/Dumbass.
  • Vegeta questions Goku's acting like a child and asks him to think about his age. Goku says that Vegeta said Saiyans remain in their prime until they reach age 80. Vegeta says he was talking about his mentality...
  • Frustrated, Vegeta gives up on smalltalk and Goku says he's excited to be able to cut loose like old times at the tournament.
  • Beerus is upset Champa trespassed into his universe for some of the Super DBs.
  • Pilaf Gang discusses the Super DBs, vastly underestimating their size.
  • Gohan is indeed at a conference and can't come to the tournament.
  • Monaka is Beerus' 5th, "strongest he's ever fought" warrior.
  • Vegeta doesn't think Monaka looks strong. Piccolo says it's their trend to underestimate guys like him...
  • Whis says Monaka means, "Great Ponta." Monaka-san is a hero from the planet, Wagashi (japanese for "sweets"). He's very calm/shy and kind but once he bares his fangs, he can give even Beerus-sama some trouble.
  • Goku wonder's what "Great Ponta" means, and Monaka explains that it means his very large nipples...
  • The Galactic King is disappointed he doesn't stand out against the other characters. Jaco apologizes for them not being impressed with a "Galactic King", as the group knows beings like North Kaio, so...
  • Kuririn suggest playing shiritori (a Japanese word game): Whis goes with "jirujiru". Goku asks what that is and Whis says it's a bird on his planet.
  • The group took 35 minutes to get from Earth to Beerus' planet, then 2 hours and 10 minutes more to the designated fighting place on the "nameless planet" via a "ship" that Whis made.
  • Goku is surprised that Kaioshin is separated into Kaioshin and Kibito again, but then almost immediately ignores them when he spots the Universe 6 Kaioshin.
  • The introduction to the new gods is cut short so that they can conduct the written test portion of the tournament.
  • While the same races, planets, etc generally seem to exist in each universe, the characters that exist there seem to be entirely different. I'm not sure we can keep calling it the "Freeza Clan" for Universe 6 if Freeza never existed there...
  • Champa's fighters consist of Not!Freeza, the Iron Giant, Winnie the Pooh, Tarble 2.0 and Neo from the Matrix if he cut the head off a DBO Namekian, dyed it purple and wore it as a mask.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Thouser wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Can we assume that AGE refers to something other than year? Maybe decade or something? Is AGE ever used besides the guidebooks?
Age comes directly from the manga:
Herms wrote: In Chapter 358, Trunks inspects Cell's time machine and says it came form "Age 788". This is the only reference to a specific year within the actual series itself. Starting with Daizenshuu 7 though, the guidebooks and other secondary material have made use of an elaborate calendar based around that single reference, as you can see above. The year marker is "Age", placed before the year number.
Yes, but is that the only mention? Because if so, we don't have to necessarily assume that it means year, and we can at least hide a plot hole this way.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:39 pm

Lol, i did think of that, but i wasn't sure if adult Goku would go there.
He asked Gohan if Videl was a girl or boy in the Buu arc. He'd probably just ask.

But then, Gokû's been a little more childish in Super, so who knows.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Lol, i did think of that, but i wasn't sure if adult Goku would go there.
He asked Gohan if Videl was a girl or boy in the Buu arc. He'd probably just ask.

But then, Gokû's been a little more childish in Super, so who knows.
Wasn't that just a little fanmade comic? I don't remember that happening at all in the manga.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:40 pm

Amazing job Corpse, thanks a lot for summary!
dbgtFO wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Yes, but is that the only mention? Because if so, we don't have to necessarily assume that it means year, and we can at least hide a plot hole this way.
There is no plothole. Zarama patented it in Age 42, but he could have created the balls prior to that. Maybe he patented it because the Namekians were making knock-offs of them?
Summary says they were formed just year earlier. Namekians probably ripped a fragment hence Jarama patented his creation next year
Last edited by Basaku on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:Yes, but is that the only mention? Because if so, we don't have to necessarily assume that it means year, and we can at least hide a plot hole this way.
There is no plothole. Zarama patented it in Age 42, but he could have created the balls prior to that. Maybe he patented it because the Namekians were making knock-offs of them?

TDC, I can see you fixed the number for the diameter of the Super Balls, but I think you put a comma where there should be a period.
As far as I can see it says 37,196.2204 as in 37 thousand not 37,196,2204 as in.. well that wouldn't even be 37 million Km, it'd be 10 times more(right way of writing it = 371,962,204).

New_Guy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by New_Guy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:42 pm

What if Young!Saiyan from universe 6 is really a male version of Pan? Could potentially explain the rehashed Gohan hair style. (It's alternate Gohan's son!) I could be completely wrong though. On a side note after seeing the strongest guy in universe 7, I would rather have had anyone else at this point. I utterly loathe his design. I know it's classic Toriyama but whatever. I'm not feeling it nor amused. I would've felt better if the last on team Beerus was Arale. But what's done is done. Hopefully whatever it is that Gohan is doing on earth doesn't involve him being made a fool of for a long time. (What if he has a turn around in attitude and cheats on Videl? LOL sike)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 pm

dbgtFO wrote:

TDC, I can see you fixed the number for the diameter of the Super Balls, but I think you put a comma where there should be a period.
As far as I can see it says 37,196.2204 as in 37 thousand not 37,196,2204 as in.. well that wouldn't even be 37 million Km, it'd be 10 times more(right way of writing it = 371,962,204).
It says right there in the summary that they were formed in Age 41.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: There is no plothole. Zarama patented it in Age 42, but he could have created the balls prior to that. Maybe he patented it because the Namekians were making knock-offs of them?
It says right there in the summary that they were formed in Age 41.
Oops!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: Videl

Chapter 238 it's in.

Re: translation

GOKÛ AND VEGETA TRAIN IN THERE FOR 3 YEARS!!?

Wow... :shock:

Thank you for the translation.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:48 pm

I think they can now train for 3 years because maybe they are strong enough to rip holes in dimension when they want to get out, or when they want to go in.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:49 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:This should be the finished version. Reposting so that people don't have to go back and find it for now.
My fiance is currently reading the chapter. Apparently it's detail heavy, so a Herms translation at a later date may be preferred to a scanlation potentially butchering things.

Warning, the info below may not be 100% accurate. It is accurate to the Korean version, but mistakes could have been made while they originally translated from Japanese.

----
  • Jaco, despite being a super elite Galactic Patrolman, knows nothing about alternate universes or Super Dragon Balls. He wants to go to the tournament though.
  • Bluma offers to bring his girlfriend too, but he jaco got dumped.
  • Zuno-dono requests gifts in exchange for questions. Jaco goes to kiss him and he blushes, and give him only one question because he's a guy.
  • Jaco asks about Bluma's bust size: Apparently it used to be 87.2cm but after breastfeeding, it sagged a bit and now it's 83.4.
  • Bluma only gets 3 questions for her "gift" because she's middle aged and not Zuno's type.
  • Bluma's first question is accidentally used up when she asks if she only gets two more questions despite being "this pretty".
  • She then asks about the Super Dragon Balls: called "wish orbs", they were formed in AGE 41 by the Shenlong (dragon god), Zarama/Jarama. They have a diameter of 37,196,2204km, and are am perfect sphere. Within Universe 6 and 7, combined, there's 7 in total of these light yellow orbs, and within each orb is a star marking varying from 1 to 7 stars. These markings are designed/made so that they always look like stars when viewed from any angle. This refraction technique is a structure original to Zarama/Jarama and was patented in AGE 42.
  • Those who collect all seven and speak in the god's language, "Come forth, Shenlong!" and then, "Grant my wish" get one wish fulfilled no matter what it is. Once the wish is granted, The orbs are immediately scattered throughout the two universes.
  • Bulma asks a rhetorical "huh? 7 balls between the two universes?" and Zuno-dono says "Yes", having her waste her third question even though she wanted to ask if they needed to use the exact wording for summoning". Zuno tells them to come back after a year.
  • Bluma and Jaco return to Earth, angry at each other for wasting their questions.
  • Goku and Vegeta discuss the tournament while training in the RoSaT for 3 days/3 years (no mention is made of how/why Vegeta can be in there after spending 2 days back in the Cell Arc as far as I'm aware). Goku wonders if their opponents will really be strong, and vegeta says they have to be since Champa saw their abilities and is still confident. Goku thinks Vegeta is smart for figuring that out, and Vegeta says of course he is compared to Goku/Dumbass.
  • Vegeta questions Goku's acting like a child and asks him to think about his age. Goku says that vegeta said Saiyans remain in their prime until they reach age 80. Vegeta says he was talking about his mentality...
  • Frustrated, Vegeta gives up on smalltalk and Goku says he's excited to be able to cut loose like old times at the tournament.
  • Beerus is upset Champa trespassed into his universe for some of the Super DBs.
  • Pilaf Gang discusses the Super DBs, vastly underestimating their size.
  • Gohan is indeed at a conference.
  • Monaca is Beerus' 5th warrior.
  • Vegeta doesn't think Monaca looks strong. Piccolo says it's their trend to underestimate guys like him...
  • Whis says Monaca means, "great ponta." Monaca san is a hero from the planet, Wagashi (japanese for "sweets"). He's very calm/shy and kind but once he bares his fangs, he can give even Beerus sama some trouble.
  • Goku wonder's what "Great Pointer" means, and it's explained that it means his large nipples...
  • The Galactic king is disappointed he doesn't stand out against the other characters. Jaco apologizes for them not being impressed with a "Galactic King", as they know the North Kaio, so...
  • Kuririn suggest playing shiritori: Whis goes with "jirujiru". Goku asks what that is and Whis says its a bird on his planet.
  • The group took 35 minutes to get from Earth to Beerus' planet, then 2 hours and 10 minutes more to the designated fighting place on a "nameless star."
  • Goku is surprised that Kaioshin is separate again, but then ignores them for the Universe 6 Kaioshin.
  • The introduction is cut short so that they can conduct the written test.
  • Goku: "Hey, there's a really familiar face..." / Vegeta: "FREEZA?!"
That is great!. Please thank your fiancée, really kind of her to do that. I really love the new characters, with the exception of the Freeza clone of course, but "Monaca" is a typical Toriyama Sensei character, doesn't look at all intimidating, but underestimate him at your peril.
Piccolo being in front of Majin Buu on the colour spread doesn't indicate anything really, as Monaca is right at the back, which is probably to do with his height more than anything else. Though I would love to see Piccolo get some sort of power up, which he desperately needs.

I'm very keen to see what situations will arise that will encourage them to gather all 7 of the Super Dragon Balls in order to "fix" the problem.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:49 pm

3 years seem to be too much. But well, Super may be the last ride with this cast.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Toriyama really loves that gohan hairstyle man! Tarble,gohan, u6 fighter and technically even yamcha had a variant. But man, I dont get how this new guy is supposde to look like cell. They'res more than enough differences that you can understand that it's a completely new character. I like all designs besides for the new guy, android dude, and bear guy. Kind of dissapointed by the freeza like character. Almost a complete rip off. At the moment gohan's the only fighter on earth; so if that whole idea about him being the only one to protect earth ever comes through this is the time for it. And yeah 3 years!!!!???? Would be weird if they weren't as powerful as beerus is considering how little time is needed for powerups lately.
Last edited by kinisking on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.