"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:28 am

Does anyone have any idea when will the volume 1 be available in North America in English???
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:33 am

Ssgvegito30 wrote:Does anyone have any idea when will the volume 1 be available in North America in English???
Nothing has been announced for an international release.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ssgvegito30
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssgvegito30 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:42 am

sintzu wrote:
Ssgvegito30 wrote:Does anyone have any idea when will the volume 1 be available in North America in English???
Ok, I really hope we get something soon here....
"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there's one thing a Saiyan always keeps! His pride!"

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 am

There hasn't been anything announced for anime in US and you expect news for manga that promotes it? What?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:45 am

Kuririn Fan wrote:There hasn't been anything announced for anime in US and you expect news for manga that promotes it? What?
Promotions usually release before the main product so it wouldn't surprise me if they announced it sometime this year.

It probably won't happen but it's not impossible especially since the manga is released by a different company.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:54 am

Viz probably won't publish a manga that largely exists to promote an anime Funimation has dibs on.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:02 am

I'm curious about this "future" that Toriyama and Toyotaro has been talking about...

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:22 am

I'm desperate enough to want to believe Toriyama wants the Super manga to serve as a suitable alternative to telling his new Dragon Ball stories, now that the anime has turned into a bit of a mess.

I mean, there is evidence that the manga is turning into something more than a cheap promo. We've seen it shift suddenly from the rushed pace of the Battle of Gods arc to the steady developments of the Champa tournament. The chapters are longer now, giving Toyotaro more pages to work with, and they're being collected in a volume release, which carries with it a higher degree of prestige and commercial importance. And on top of that, Toriyama himself is apparently approving Toyotaro's storyboards!

I'm definitely straying into wishful territory here, but there is a slight possibility that the volume release in April could include an announcement of the manga going bi-monthly in order to keep up with the anime. Of course, that would entirely depend on whether Toyotaro can adjust to that kind of workload, and if there's a suitable magazine right now for a bi-monthly Dragon Ball manga.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:03 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wrong. Nothing has been announced for an official English-language release. The French version has been already discussed and will most likely start in 2017:

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:17 pm

sangofe wrote:I'm curious about this "future" that Toriyama and Toyotaro has been talking about...
Yeah, me too. Probably the announcement of new arcs, there are still all those Universes.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:58 pm

A bit disappointed with the manga tournament fights atm.

Piccolo vs frost in the manga was bleh.

And goku vs frost, anime was much better and it showed just how far above frost the ssj trasnformation is.

Botamo, clearly manga was better, no doubt about that.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:35 pm

So, has anyone posted a translation of the latest chapter here? Cause I don't really trust the scanlations out there.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:42 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:So, has anyone posted a translation of the latest chapter here? Cause I don't really trust the scanlations out there.
Nope. alakazam^ did the last chapter, but ever since the anime out paced the manga, Herms hasn't bothered with translating the text.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:52 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:So, has anyone posted a translation of the latest chapter here? Cause I don't really trust the scanlations out there.
Nope. alakazam^ did the last chapter, but ever since the anime out paced the manga, Herms hasn't bothers with translating the text.
Alakazams generally just as good as Herms though
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

SaiyaSith
Regular

Post by SaiyaSith » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:08 pm

I have a feeling that we're going to discover that the saiyan and human races of U6 mixed a long time ago before the "dumb war" happened on U6 Earth. Toriyama said that half saiyans are prodigies(or something to that effect) so that could explain why we see SSJ Cabba keeping up with SSJ Vegeta in the preview.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:31 am

I rather it just be because the Saiyans aren't a warmongering race in Universe 6. They are warriors who will fight, but it doesn't have to be to the death. Meaning they would have camaraderie and bother saving each other (leading to near death boosts instead of just death), friendly rivalries and training exercises to better their own abilities, etc.

It all fits well with what Whis said earlier, about not even needing his training to drastically improve. The now friendly Goku an Vegeta would just be better off going somewhere and beating the living hell out of each other.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:35 am

Wasn't there a tidbit in some guidebook that hinted at the possibility that Earth's humans were a kind of descendants to Saiyajin of the past or even some race that branched off into those two?

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:18 am

Vegeta's kinda drained tho, so I can see why Cabba would be able to keep up with him or even overpower him, he used 2 of his signature moves and charged up to break the barrier. He did get some water but still. I feel like some bs will happen nep and Vegeta gets DQ'd for using God ki (not that there was a rule like that but Chanpa as the cry baby he is will probably do something about it, we already see him losing his shit in the prev)

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:02 am

SansrivaaL wrote:Vegeta's kinda drained tho, so I can see why Cabba would be able to keep up with him or even overpower him, he used 2 of his signature moves and charged up to break the barrier. He did get some water but still. I feel like some bs will happen nep and Vegeta gets DQ'd for using God ki (not that there was a rule like that but Chanpa as the cry baby he is will probably do something about it, we already see him losing his shit in the prev)
I think hit will deny his DQ and beat vegeta personally.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 am

Wonder if sometimes it happens that manga get released early in Japan?