"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:14 am

This was paced like a normal weekly manga. It's gonna take a long time for it to even reach where the anime is currently. I wish this was a weekly manga.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:16 am

Khin wrote:So let me explain this one more time. Mai's age is not really a plot hole or something. .
Don't rack your brain over it too much, plot hole is just another in a long list of terms the Internet has gloriously fucked by casually throwing it around and having no idea what it actually means. It's pretty much a "smarter" sounding way to say someone dislikes something.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:13 am

Roymustang16 wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:is the manga going to give an explanation on how it can be possible for mai to be around trunks age when she was in her 20s in dragonball? If the answer is the dragonballs when did they use them in the future since everything is destroyed. If they used them in the androids arc the z fighters would've known right away and we would see pilaf and the dog shuu.
It look like even Toyotaro don't want to screw up the Dragon Ball timeline by giving wrong information, as you can see every time indication are hidden :
I also took note of that. Almost as if they are trolling us :lol:

Interesting chapter to say the least. The inclusions of Jaco and Tights is certainly intriguing and the whole thing they are debating and the teacher is lecturing Trunks and company about looks like multiverse theory or something. It seems very strange and for a minute I was fooled into believing that kid Bulma was actually Bra, which wouldn't make sense, if Pan is still supposed to be a barely 2 year old baby.

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:44 am

Pan is two years in this arc? I though she was only 1 year old.
So the last chance of having Bra without unrespecting the timeline is right after this arc.

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:49 am

I hope this won't be as bad as last chapter

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:58 am

There are missing chapters indeed, I'll wait for the full chapter. Although there are some interesting stuff already.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:03 pm

sangofe wrote:Yes, that's a bit weird, since Toriyama's behind the story.
Mainly because it is an promotional-only manga.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:37 pm

Kishido wrote:I hope this won't be as bad as last chapter
The last chapter was great, the only weak part was not explaining how Goku learned how to transform into SSG on his own. Otherwise it had a cool tactical fight, and explained everything that was going on

Did you want it to be exactly like the anime? It'd be boring if it was just a clone of what we already watched. I think both having their own version of events is best.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:41 pm

Alee9977 wrote:Pan is two years in this arc? I though she was only 1 year old.
So the last chance of having Bra without unrespecting the timeline is right after this arc.
Ooops typo, I meant 1 year old, but yeah we really don't know. Usually there are clearly established timeskips, but ever since the end of Z this has been pretty hard to maintain in series(only the Tarble special gives a clearly defined timeskip).

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:24 pm

So where's the REST of this chapter!?
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Image

Don't tell me Toyble went with "Android"?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:So where's the REST of this chapter!?
I am my most pessimistic and think this is only the first part of this chapter and we'll sadly have to wait another month to get the second part of it.
A slight hope is that all of the 40 pages of this chapter were released in this months V jump, but the leakers just haven't got around to leaking it for whatever reason.
Also love your channel!
Cetra wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

But Android is a legitimate translation of "Jinzoningen." At least I thought we've had that debate cleared up by those who know the language?

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:37 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:So where's the REST of this chapter!?
I am my most pessimistic and think this is only the first part of this chapter and we'll sadly have to wait another month to get the second part of it.
A slight hope is that all of the 40 pages of this chapter were released in this months V jump, but the leakers just haven't got around to leaking it for whatever reason.
Also love your channel!
Cetra wrote:

But Android is a legitimate translation of "Jinzoningen." At least I thought we've had that debate cleared up by those who know the language?

Whyd you make those letters small?
:(

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Cetra wrote:

That is an acceptable translation that has existed prior to the North American dubs.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Geekdom101 wrote: Whyd you make those letters small?
I didn't want to remove the spotlight from the thread's purpose, please don't take it to mean something else, that's not what I intended :P

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:50 pm

I was only curious in seeing if Goku and Vegeta were in their RoF outfits. Unfortunately, Toyotaro thought otherwise. Other than that, I thought that Mirai Mai comforting Trunks panel was pretty heart warming to see. Black's silhouette at the cover of the chapter threw me off a bit because it seemed as though he had SS Goku's hairstyle. I doubt Toyotaro would change Black's design, though.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:14 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote: Whyd you make those letters small?
I didn't want to remove the spotlight from the thread's purpose, please don't take it to mean something else, that's not what I intended :P
LMAO! Alright. I thought it was funny. Thanks a lot.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:14 pm

Black's hair is just blowing in the wind. Something Toei doesn't do properly anymore.

Anyway, here's everything of note from the chapter:
We don't see it in the manga version, but future Bluma still died in the process of charging the time machine. She and Trunks were going to activate a solar generator, but I don't know if the time machine is electric or if that was to produce whatever the fuel is. Regardless, the time machine is charged enough for a one way trip, just like the anime.

The manga has Jaco specifically remind everyone that time travel splits the timeline to create a "parallel world". He brings it up because he heard from Tights that Bluma was doing "dangerous" research and wanted to remind her time travel is a crime. Bluma says most of her research now is beauty based. The "other stuff" is for the future, which they won't need if peace continues.

Kid Trunks' teacher follows up with a lesson on "parallel worlds". It's kinda morbid... To explain the theory, she says a boy (A-kun) wants to take rice bean cakes back to his younger mother, but she chokes on them and dies in the "parallel world". So now there would be a timeline where his mother doesn't exist and the boy isn't born. However the original mother and child remain fine. That lesson was from a college textbook that she had on accident though...they were supposed to be doing math. So, everyone, what's 10-3=?

Bluma asks Whis about when he reversed time with Freeza, wondering if there's a "parallel world" where the tyrant still lives. Whis says that's not changing the past, but simply "redoing". After using it, the "time base" switches out so it can't be used again for a while. (Don't ask what that is. No idea.)
That's pretty much the end of what's there... Will address more pages if they show up, I guess.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:16 pm

dbgtFO wrote: But Android is a legitimate translation of "Jinzoningen." At least I thought we've had that debate cleared up by those who know the language?
I know what a Jinzo is - and no, no Yugioh joke here.

But you cannot just take a word's alternative meaning if it does not fit the context. That is what the problem is. Even if I would not learn Japanese since 2007 it would still be a thing of contextualization - if you mention other people knowing Japanese: Especially Herms always points out how important for the closest translation it is to find the word/writing that is the best to reflect intention/context. They are "artfificial humans" as in Cyborgs, artificially enhanced, but not "artificial humans" like no humans at all. So, no, it is not an "acceptable" word. You cannot just go with words that are legitimate translations of words if it does not fit the context. Or like Cell in Abridged says "well good for you, you're wrong". There is a difference between "legit" and "right". Reverse and Rebirth use the same katakana. That does not mean that you can just use whichever word you want. Just like people worldlike call the Mt. Fuji "Fujiyama" because the word "yama" for mountain is included. Legit, but not correct because of this context. It is Fuji-san, not Fujiyama. A funny example actually because Japan has some attractions and certain creations that are named after our "Fujiyama" misunderstanding.
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:24 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:That's pretty much the end of what's there... Will address more pages if they show up, I guess.
Thanks again for doing this for us each month!
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」