"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm
Location: Spain

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Chelentano » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:14 pm

Kanassa wrote:Somthing bugs me about the way F!Trunks talks about Bulma's death, he refers to the event as 'They' got to her, as in to imply that there is more then one person.
Maybe @TheDevilsCorpse could tell us if he really is talking in plural.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16632
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm assuming this is the panel in question:

Image

... ソーラーに溜まったホコリを払いに行って...
みつかってしまった...

Someone better than me should tackle this, but seems like the usual vagueness in Japanese with regard to subject and pluralization. Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm assuming this is the panel in question:

Image

... ソーラーに溜まったホコリを払いに行って...
みつかってしまった...

Someone better than me should tackle this, but seems like the usual vagueness in Japanese with regard to subject and pluralization. Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
Well, the entire dialouge seems to imply that 'they' were responcible for the deed. Before Turnks was merely alluding to Bulma's fate, but when Mai straight up asks if something happened, he simply saids that 'They' found her before he breaks down. Usually this type of line is used to imply that either a group inflicted the harm uponthe person, or there was a group activly searching for her and sent another to inflict the harm.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 366
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Shin » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Kanassa wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I'm assuming this is the panel in question:

Image

... ソーラーに溜まったホコリを払いに行って...
みつかってしまった...

Someone better than me should tackle this, but seems like the usual vagueness in Japanese with regard to subject and pluralization. Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
Well, the entire dialouge seems to imply that 'they' were responcible for the deed. Before Turnks was merely alluding to Bulma's fate, but when Mai straight up asks if something happened, he simply saids that 'They' found her before he breaks down.
"They" can be used to refer to one person.
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Shin wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:I'm assuming this is the panel in question:

Image

... ソーラーに溜まったホコリを払いに行って...
みつかってしまった...

Someone better than me should tackle this, but seems like the usual vagueness in Japanese with regard to subject and pluralization. Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
Well, the entire dialouge seems to imply that 'they' were responcible for the deed. Before Turnks was merely alluding to Bulma's fate, but when Mai straight up asks if something happened, he simply saids that 'They' found her before he breaks down.
"They" can be used to refer to one person.
As I know little about the Japanese language, I don't know if it's different, but the sentence is not worded in a way that would make 'They' refer to one person. Though again, this could just be me misunerstanding japanese language.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm
Location: Spain

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Chelentano » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:36 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm assuming this is the panel in question:

Image

... ソーラーに溜まったホコリを払いに行って...
みつかってしまった...

Someone better than me should tackle this, but seems like the usual vagueness in Japanese with regard to subject and pluralization. Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
I see. Thank you very much for the clarification.
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

User avatar
DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 12401
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Greece

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:25 pm

kaioken12 wrote:You know, this is precisely what I fail to understand. In timeline A stuff happened. Cool. Great.
Then somebody goes back in time, changes something and we get timeline A'. So then there is a big butterfly effect. Let's say, Earth is blown up. But this is exclusive to A'.
If you would travel back in time from A' and prevent Earth from being blown up and then let other stuff happen, you end up in A''. And so on...

But in any case, in A things stay exactly the same. Same stuff as before happened. All the same.
In A' different things have happened that might possibly lead to a significantly different future, but in no way does this concern or change anything for A or A''. Etc. etc...


So unless they would provide us with a tidbit of information, like "If too many parallel universes exist, everything will blow up.", I fail to see the significance of any statement regarding meddling with time.

EDIT: Same would go for the time rings. Unless they do *not* create parallel timelines/universes, I do not see at this point, how anyone would even care, if a Kaioshin could travel to the past and by chance would decide to change anything there.
It would just create a copy universe, leaving the original one effectively untouched.
It hasn't been stated in the series yet (if ever), but in Dragon Ball Online & Dragon Ball XenoVerse, it is stated that if too many parallel worlds are created, they'll all blow up.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

User avatar
Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6089
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:57 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kanassa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:38 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
kaioken12 wrote:You know, this is precisely what I fail to understand. In timeline A stuff happened. Cool. Great.
Then somebody goes back in time, changes something and we get timeline A'. So then there is a big butterfly effect. Let's say, Earth is blown up. But this is exclusive to A'.
If you would travel back in time from A' and prevent Earth from being blown up and then let other stuff happen, you end up in A''. And so on...

But in any case, in A things stay exactly the same. Same stuff as before happened. All the same.
In A' different things have happened that might possibly lead to a significantly different future, but in no way does this concern or change anything for A or A''. Etc. etc...


So unless they would provide us with a tidbit of information, like "If too many parallel universes exist, everything will blow up.", I fail to see the significance of any statement regarding meddling with time.

EDIT: Same would go for the time rings. Unless they do *not* create parallel timelines/universes, I do not see at this point, how anyone would even care, if a Kaioshin could travel to the past and by chance would decide to change anything there.
It would just create a copy universe, leaving the original one effectively untouched.
It hasn't been stated in the series yet (if ever), but in Dragon Ball Online & Dragon Ball XenoVerse, it is stated that if too many parallel worlds are created, they'll all blow up.
I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up revealing that if you have too many parrallel worlds, the original timelines will start to dissappear to maintain balance.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:


Obligitory Fan Fic Plug: Dragon Ball - Another Road
Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

User avatar
Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus
Posts: 10550
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm
Location: Jupiter
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Herms » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
No, it's saying that she was "spotted" when she went out to clean dust off the solar panel, and (implicitly) killed. Nothing about people finding her body or anything like that. Though it's not clear from the panel, we know from the greater context of the chapter that Trunks is talking about Black, a single person who goes around killed whoever he finds, so in that context using "they" is wrong, or at best misleading.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16632
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:44 pm

Ya know, originally I just left the scan without commentary. Shoulda left it that way!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Snow_Lilies
Newbie
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Snow_Lilies » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:18 pm

kaioken12 wrote: So unless they would provide us with a tidbit of information, like "If too many parallel universes exist, everything will blow up.", I fail to see the significance of any statement regarding meddling with time.

EDIT: Same would go for the time rings. Unless they do *not* create parallel timelines/universes, I do not see at this point, how anyone would even care, if a Kaioshin could travel to the past and by chance would decide to change anything there.
It would just create a copy universe, leaving the original one effectively untouched.
That could be a possibility too, but I personally think creating the events for Goku and Vegeta to hit SSB levels is itself a huge deal towards potentially threatening the natural balance of the universe. In other words, someone violated the ban on Time Travel and the consequence was spawning super-powered wanton battle freaks whose untrained punches sent ripples throughout the universe (at least in one adaptation anyhow). Beerus is having fun now but if Goku ever got seriously close to surpassing him, I don't know if he'd care to sit by on that too much.

But all of this may be less impactful depending on where Hit (whose strength is currently debated) and the future Zen'o tournament contenders truly fall on the power scale.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Meshack » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:30 am

Regarder wrote:
Meshack wrote:I personally believe that Black is NOT Zamasu because that wouldn't be good writing if it was. I'm pretty sure there's someone else behind this Goku Black mystery, maybe Zamasu is part of it but I don't think it's him.
It would be bad writing if it was a totally random person, so they'd have to establish that it could be some specific person who's not Zamasu, however subtly, first.
By not good writing, I mean it's too predictable.

User avatar
Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm
Location: Spain

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Chelentano » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:59 am

Herms wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Anyway, it's not talking about the person(s) that killed her, but rather the person(s) who found her body. I don't really see why it would matter one way or the other if one person or multiple people found her.
No, it's saying that she was "spotted" when she went out to clean dust off the solar panel, and (implicitly) killed. Nothing about people finding her body or anything like that. Though it's not clear from the panel, we know from the greater context of the chapter that Trunks is talking about Black, a single person who goes around killed whoever he finds, so in that context using "they" is wrong, or at best misleading.
Good to know, thanks!
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:18 am

I thought that it said that Bulma's body was found next to the panels.
So in the manga it is not very clear that she is dead?
Obviously she is but why imply and not show it?
False hope?
Either Toyotaro will use that twist or the limited pages made him cut a lot of stuff.
It's funny how in Super's case a whole arc can be summarized in a single manga volume. (if we didn't have the Beerus arc, Toyotaro could summarize the whole tournament in a volume)
Basically in the future Super manga might be like 5+++ volumes and contain 5++ arcs.

Personally, I don't like it that much since I always prefer to read the manga in any series and as I get older I lose interest in the animated form of a manga. There are series for example like one piece that the manga sometimes is quite complicated and the anime makes the story easier to understand but in general manga>anime.

Toyotaro's art is perfect for db and he could really be a star in weekly shonen jump. I do not know if he is adapted in the whole "work all the time on a manga" but I guess that a monthly manga takes as much time as a weekly.
Do we have any reports about the first volume's sales? Were the sale good?

User avatar
Chelentano
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm
Location: Spain

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Chelentano » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:30 am

I have another question for translators. When present Bulma talks about "beauty research" is she talking about cosmetics and so or is it an expression that I don't understand?
Steam profile: psn_chelentano
Xenoverse 2 characters: Rugal (female Saiyan), Salacadula (male Majin), Sleet (Freezer race)

User avatar
FTW395
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:46 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FTW395 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:33 am

So did Whis create a parallel world of not?

User avatar
Mazingerdestro
Regular
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mazingerdestro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:16 am

FTW395 wrote:So did Whis create a parallel world of not?
No. His version of reversing time rewrites history completely. No new parallel timelines with Frieza been alive

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Meshack » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:15 am

FTW395 wrote:So did Whis create a parallel world of not?
I'm pretty sure Whis explained that. He said no.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 am

Meshack wrote: By not good writing, I mean it's too predictable.
How something being predictable equals not good writing?
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Chelentano wrote:
kaioken12 wrote:Personally I was not content with a certain page of the latest chapter... when Bulma started asking Whis whether his time rewind would have created a parallel universe, I found this question to be very interesting.
Especially since Whis stated in the anime, how altering the past could affect the future. (But if it would create alternative universes anyways, then what would be the problem of doing so?)

But then the next panels completely evaded any answer to this question and instead, Whis talked about the "cooldown time" on this technique... this was a bit disappointing to me.
Yeah, that's my only issue with this chapter too.
I thought he said that he basically reversed time and thus didn't create a new parallel world?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Post Reply