"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Totamo
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:14 am

kinisking wrote:I can't wait until the end of this arc and the manga has skipped Gohan and Future trunks, vastly shortened the training with Vegeta, gotten rid of any development for kid trunks, omitted the "its okay" moment vegeta says to trunks in episode 50, slipped over bulma a death, has much less back story on black and trunks relationship, shortens and development Zamasu gets, gets rid of trunks ptsd like symptoms and more but people will say it's the better version.

On another note, I wish toyotorou was character designer
Hey, as long as there is no vegito or asspull trunks, people will like it better. No one even remembers all this because of the last episode and the time paradox which many have claimed has not just ruined this arc, not just super but all of dragon Ball.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:18 am

Totamo wrote:
kinisking wrote:I can't wait until the end of this arc and the manga has skipped Gohan and Future trunks, vastly shortened the training with Vegeta, gotten rid of any development for kid trunks, omitted the "its okay" moment vegeta says to trunks in episode 50, slipped over bulma a death, has much less back story on black and trunks relationship, shortens and development Zamasu gets, gets rid of trunks ptsd like symptoms and more but people will say it's the better version.

On another note, I wish toyotorou was character designer
Hey, as long as there is no vegito or asspull trunks, people will like it better. No one even remembers all this because of the last episode and the time paradox which many have claimed has not just ruined this arc, not just super but all of dragon Ball.
I actually just stood at my keyboard for a few minutes after reading this. This is the biggest exaggeration I've ever seen and I'm not quite sure on how to approach it.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:21 am

kinisking wrote: Thanks for educating me on opinion's. I had no former knowledge of them before (Yes, I'm being sarcastic).

It's pretty obvious that there are some people that will shit on the anime and praise the manga even if the manga's story is much less fleshed out.
Well, I personally disagree wholeheartedly. And honestly, I do hope that a lot of that stuff gets cut out. If Toyotaro's gonna do this, then I want him doing this his way, while still keeping faithfulness to Toriyama's outline.
Last edited by Bansho64 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7862
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:27 am
Location: Split, Croatia

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:28 am

Kimisking isn't wrong about the "abridged" feeling which plagues the manga. It is NOT a fully fleshed out story as its own piece even after the increase in page count. Whether or not this shows an issue with the release schedule or Toyotaro himself is something I can't comment on.

However, the manga does win out for me just for being a more consistent story and making sense power wise. The anime does give us small character moments that do manage to stick out in the vortex of black shit that is the anime.

But I'll take a the story that we do get from the manga over the animes ... myriad of issues even if said character moments are lost.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:35 am

I think the current arc is being fleshed out. There's a reason why we haven't even gone to the future here, while in the anime it's almost over. The anime had so many "empty" episodes, the Gohan episode, the episode before they went to the future for the second time (they ate for 70% of the episode); besides the obvious padding in episodes with real content.

User avatar
Totamo
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1871
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 am

kinisking wrote:
Totamo wrote:
kinisking wrote:I can't wait until the end of this arc and the manga has skipped Gohan and Future trunks, vastly shortened the training with Vegeta, gotten rid of any development for kid trunks, omitted the "its okay" moment vegeta says to trunks in episode 50, slipped over bulma a death, has much less back story on black and trunks relationship, shortens and development Zamasu gets, gets rid of trunks ptsd like symptoms and more but people will say it's the better version.

On another note, I wish toyotorou was character designer
Hey, as long as there is no vegito or asspull trunks, people will like it better. No one even remembers all this because of the last episode and the time paradox which many have claimed has not just ruined this arc, not just super but all of dragon Ball.
I actually just stood at my keyboard for a few minutes after reading this. This is the biggest exaggeration I've ever seen and I'm not quite sure on how to approach it.
I agree with you, 1000%

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:30 am

LightBing wrote:I think the current arc is being fleshed out. There's a reason why we haven't even gone to the future here, while in the anime it's almost over. The anime had so many "empty" episodes, the Gohan episode, the episode before they went to the future for the second time (they ate for 70% of the episode); besides the obvious padding in episodes with real content.
The reason the anime is almost over it's because it comes out weekly. Simple as that.

The Gohan episode was NOT empty at all. It showed more of how Gohan lives now, and gave character development for Trunks'. He's given even further motivation to beat Black because he is influenced by Gohan's family. The moment he cried is a very powerful moment.

The episode before they went to the future explained parallel timelines although it was a little stretched out.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
LightBing
I Live Here
Posts: 3544
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:47 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:08 pm

kinisking wrote:
LightBing wrote:I think the current arc is being fleshed out. There's a reason why we haven't even gone to the future here, while in the anime it's almost over. The anime had so many "empty" episodes, the Gohan episode, the episode before they went to the future for the second time (they ate for 70% of the episode); besides the obvious padding in episodes with real content.
The reason the anime is almost over it's because it comes out weekly. Simple as that.

The Gohan episode was NOT empty at all. It showed more of how Gohan lives now, and gave character development for Trunks'. He's given even further motivation to beat Black because he is influenced by Gohan's family. The moment he cried is a very powerful moment.

The episode before they went to the future explained parallel timelines although it was a little stretched out.
The Champa arc moved much faster than this and had less pages per chapter than currently, with the exception of the last two chapters. The first three chapters of the Champa Arc had 19 pages compared to the 39 we have now.
This arc is vastly different than the others in terms of pace, it has nothing to do with the schedule. The anime even had the luxury to skip three weeks.

I meant empty for the advancement of the plot. I think that episode had worth and wouldn't mind if they sprinkled a few more like those to ease the work of the animators, instead of drag-out ki wave struggles and such.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5688
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:16 pm

In no way should any "abridged" feeling reflect on Toyotarou as a writer or artist. It's the result of the manga releasing monthly and having to roughly keep pace with where the anime is story-wise in order to promote it.

You basically have the opposite situation from the original run, where the anime had to add material to ensure it stayed behind. Here, the manga has to omit material to ensure it keeps up.

User avatar
Noah
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7710
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:56 pm
Location: Virtual World

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:45 pm

kinisking wrote:It's pretty obvious that there are some people that will shit on the anime and praise the manga even if the manga's story is much less fleshed out.
If the manga explains 20% of the BS presented in this arc that the anime didn't it, I won't lie that would praise more than the anime.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

User avatar
OLKv3
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:46 pm

Every freaking month somebody enters this thread and starts the same tired anime vs manga argument for no reason. Like out of nowhere, someone just enters and acts condescending to people who enjoy the manga and says something of "people will praise this and bash the anime lolol"

Why?

User avatar
ryou766
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:53 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Every freaking month somebody enters this thread and starts the same tired anime vs manga argument for no reason. Like out of nowhere, someone just enters and acts condescending to people who enjoy the manga and says something of "people will praise this and bash the anime lolol"

Why?
I'd like to know this too.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:20 pm

ryou766 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Every freaking month somebody enters this thread and starts the same tired anime vs manga argument for no reason. Like out of nowhere, someone just enters and acts condescending to people who enjoy the manga and says something of "people will praise this and bash the anime lolol"

Why?
I'd like to know this too.
Because there are people going in the anime threads and trying to act like the manga is a master piece in comparison.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:32 pm

kinisking wrote: Because there are people going in the anime threads and trying to act like the manga is a master piece in comparison.
I don't see anyone doing that. No-one is acting like the manga is a "masterpiece" in comparison but I have seen people say that the manga has done better. You're exaggerating by a huge mile and it sounds like you're using that exaggeration as an excuse to come in this thread and sarcastically antagonize people who enjoy the manga.

User avatar
ryou766
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1364
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by ryou766 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
kinisking wrote: Because there are people going in the anime threads and trying to act like the manga is a master piece in comparison.
I don't see anyone doing that. No-one is acting like the manga is a "masterpiece" in comparison but I have seen people say that the manga has done better. You're exaggerating by a huge mile and it sounds like you're using that exaggeration as an excuse to come in this thread and sarcastically antagonize people who enjoy the manga.
This. ^ We all have our preferences, but starting shit over which counterpart is better isn't necessary at all. I've even seen you say that you want to pick out faults from the manga JUST because people praise it over the anime.

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5688
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:00 pm

OLKv3 wrote:Every freaking month somebody enters this thread and starts the same tired anime vs manga argument for no reason. Like out of nowhere, someone just enters and acts condescending to people who enjoy the manga and says something of "people will praise this and bash the anime lolol"

Why?
Tribalism finding the most petty possible avenues for expression.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:03 pm

ryou766 wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
kinisking wrote: Because there are people going in the anime threads and trying to act like the manga is a master piece in comparison.
I don't see anyone doing that. No-one is acting like the manga is a "masterpiece" in comparison but I have seen people say that the manga has done better. You're exaggerating by a huge mile and it sounds like you're using that exaggeration as an excuse to come in this thread and sarcastically antagonize people who enjoy the manga.
This. ^ We all have our preferences, but starting shit over which counterpart is better isn't necessary at all. I've even seen you say that you want to pick out faults from the manga JUST because people praise it over the anime.
It's not about liking it over the anime. I preferred the Champa arc in manga form. It's about the ones that have unnecessary bias against the anime.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2034
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:45 pm

kinisking wrote: It's not about liking it over the anime. I preferred the Champa arc in manga form. It's about the ones that have unnecessary bias against the anime.
Can you list examples? Because I'm not seeing any of these people that you're talking about. Not to mention that this still doesn't justify the constant berating of the people who like it.

User avatar
TheMikado
I Live Here
Posts: 4886
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheMikado » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:58 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
kinisking wrote: It's not about liking it over the anime. I preferred the Champa arc in manga form. It's about the ones that have unnecessary bias against the anime.
Can you list examples? Because I'm not seeing any of these people that you're talking about. Not to mention that this still doesn't justify the constant berating of the people who like it.
I'll step up and admit my dislike of the anime, but primarily due to the inconsistent and poor writing. I never had issues with the animation besides the glaring mistakes but for me the writing is what kills the anime because it's inconsistent which is to be expected with multiple writers. Also I really like the character designs of the manga, I.e. Frosts manga vs anime design.

User avatar
kinisking
I Live Here
Posts: 4987
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:21 pm
Location: United States.

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Cipher wrote:In no way should any "abridged" feeling reflect on Toyotarou as a writer or artist. It's the result of the manga releasing monthly and having to roughly keep pace with where the anime is story-wise in order to promote it.

You basically have the opposite situation from the original run, where the anime had to add material to ensure it stayed behind. Here, the manga has to omit material to ensure it keeps up.
You might not specifically be talking to me but I don't think it reflects toyotorou as a writer or an artist. It does reflect on the quality of the super manga though. That's why I think it's ridiculous to think the manga is way better than the anime when they both have merits. The manga tends to have better character designs, choreography and depiction of certain characters. But the anime has tons of great character moments, and benefits from a more fleshed out story.
Bansho64 wrote:
Can you list examples? Because I'm not seeing any of these people that you're talking about. Not to mention that this still doesn't justify the constant berating of the people who like it.

I'm not constantly berating the people who like it so I don't need to justify anything. I like the manga too, why the hell would I be antagonizing the people who like it? As I've constantly said, I'm antagonizing the people who try to make it seem like the manga is way better than the anime which isn't true. If you're not one of those people, don't get offended. Stop trying so hard to make this about people that it's not about. Ill find examples for you soon. I'm on my phone rn.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Post Reply