"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 am

After reading the chapter at last, the rating is 9.5/10
Pretty damn good
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:32 am

1/10
They made trunks useless in his own arc people don't realize this not goku and vegeta arc this is future trunks arc and his universe he suffered the most it makes sense for him to get the last hit what hate most about the manga is what they did to trunks they made him so useless that it was bs yes I know the anime gave trunks asspulls but that still doesn't change the fact that this was his arc and things the manga didn't even put in:
-Trunks knowing all of vegeta techniques this is my favorite thing in that arc vegeta literally pass on his techniques to his son to bad goku doesn't even do the same
-father son galick gun we already had father son kamehameha so we finally saw one with vegeta and trunks yes I know goku out did it but still
-vegeta and trunks goodbye not going to lying the anime did that one better
-future trunks and vegeta future son moments were honestly better in the anime
-and lastly trunks getting the final blow this was a asspull but this was his arc and suffered from the two characters and again this was bringing back a fan favorite and making him god tier and giving him development the manga flat out made him useless in his own arc I hate that serious!

What are people opinion on my post

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 am

IM21 wrote:The strenght level is pretty on point in the manga. (at least for now)
With the amount of content the franchise has now you'll always find power level issues if you look hard enough but Toyotarou has been trying to keep everything in check ever since the manga started and I expect he'll continue to do so till it ends.

The anime on the other hand...
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:34 am

sintzu wrote:The arc ended on a high note which was to be expected based on how good it's been so far. As a whole I'd say it's easily one of DB's best arcs and I can't wait to see how the tournament will turn out. It's great to see so much effort put into the manga to make it as close to the original as possible, it feels like a true continuation to Toriyama's original.

I love how Vegeta was the one to get the last major attack (from the previous chapter) on Zamasu before Zeno destroyed him.

One thing I noticed people don't like is Zamasu being afraied of Zeno but why ? it seems like all the Kais know about him so doesn't it make sense for him to be scared of someone who can erase him in a blink of an eye ?

9/10.
Because their anime counterparts namely Black, MZamasu and Future Trunks were badass, cool, gar stud , manly characters unlike their manga versions. I am glad the manga's here to give me a different take to what happens (manga makes more sense than the anime as well tho the anime makes them more entertaining for a lot because of how badass manly they were) and before anyone flips out this is all my opinion. Overall I still prefer the manga over the anime.
8/10 for the arc. Cant wait for Toyo's take on the power tournament.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:12 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:Because their anime counterparts namely Black was badass, cool.
I'll give the anime Black, he was written a lot better than the manga and a lot has to do with how Nozawa voiced him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm disappointed by This version ending,is not because there the Same, rather is the tone of it,is all happy and upbeat it was through zeno just erased an entire timeline,the Anime did better with the ending through I hated that ending as well, merged zamas,black, Teamwork and interaction with gohan but they screwed up in 67
    I'm looking forward to see the Top in Manga format, because I say a Battle Royale is easier in the manga than in the anime so expect a cluster with a lot people figthing in the background constantly and just imagine Goku vs jiren here, is gonna be awesome
    Mostly active on discord.

LuckyCat
    Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:35 pm

The gr wrote:I'm disappointed by This version ending,is not because there the Same, rather is the tone of it,is all happy and upbeat, through the anime did it but here is worse,I don't like how happy and upbeat it is through zeno just erased an entire timeline,the Anime did better with the ending through I hated that ending as well, merged zamas,black, Teamwork and interaction with gohan but they screwed up in 66
    I think when you show a lot of dark things in an arc like with the Goku Black arc, it's good to have some light-hearted reprieve. Remember, this is a children's series, not The Dark Knight. Dragon Ball is good because it can balance humor and a serious tone.

I also don't think Gohan should've shown up. Gohan's not relevant in this arc, and his inclusion in the anime just feels like half-hearted fan service. If Toei really wanted to service Gohan fans, why not give him an actual role in helping Trunks?

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:46 pm

LuckyCat wrote: I think when you show a lot of dark things in an arc like with the Goku Black arc, it's good to have some light-hearted reprieve. Remember, this is a children's series, not The Dark Knight. Dragon Ball is good because it can balance humor and a serious tone.

I also don't think Gohan should've shown up. Gohan's not relevant in this arc, and his inclusion in the anime just feels like half-hearted fan service. If Toei really wanted to service Gohan fans, why not give him an actual role in helping Trunks?
    I know we need a balance between dark and light,the Manga should have at least balance those, Trunks wasn't even sad when his timeline was erased

omaro34
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:47 pm

This could be out of topic but when will the Yamcha manga part 3 come out?
    "Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Nejishiki
    I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Gohan's inclusion legitimizes Trunks' arc. Nevermind the role, it's about the representation. It served as an important reminder that his actions weren't in vain - that he ensured the life that his fallen master pursued was achieved in some fashion, even if elsewhere. Just the same as Trunks building upon his future with Mai, elsewhere again, wasn't invalidated due to preventing Zamasu from infecting reality. The man presses forward, accepting of all consequence, and displays real strength, real hope by viewing the larger picture among the washed out painting attempts. I disagree with the notion that Toei Animation's ending wasn't upbeat. Toyotaro followed suit with the tone as he should have and it's not at all different from the alternative. Rarely has Super been as worthwhile in storytelling before this.

The gr
    I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:57 pm

omaro34 wrote:This could be out of topic but when will the Yamcha manga part 3 come out?
    Is gonna take a while like chapter 2,is in development hell as of right now

Basako
    Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 pm

Gohan showing up in this chapter would have been nice for me, not in that theatrical way the anime did, just going there, them meeting again and showing the bound they had someway. A point for the anime. But not being there is not a deal breaker either, it would have been a nice supplement, but the arc is not ruined for this.
    Heno heno kappa!

BlueBasilisk
    I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I also don't think Gohan should've shown up. Gohan's not relevant in this arc, and his inclusion in the anime just feels like half-hearted fan service. If Toei really wanted to service Gohan fans, why not give him an actual role in helping Trunks?
    I think Gohan needed to appear because his future counterpart had such a huge influence on Trunks and because they were friends. It lets Trunks see that good has come from his actions in the Androids Saga. He gets to see Gohan living the life he was denied in Trunks' own timeline.

I don't think Gohan needed to fight in the arc. Partly because he wasn't strong enough to be any help against Black anyway, but also because Trunks was already relying on Goku and Vegeta pretty heavily in this arc. Having him fall back on his old mentor for help as well would have been to the detriment of his character, I think.

He trained with the heroes in the past but he defeated Future 17 and 18 on his own. I feel like he needed more of that in this story.

LuckyCat
    Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:06 pm

The gr wrote:I know we need a balance between dark and light,the Manga should have at least balance those, Trunks wasn't even sad when his timeline was erased
    Fair enough, though the manga focuses much less on the world of Trunks' timeline so it makes sense the manga wouldn't need that level of resolution.
    Tao Bai Bai wrote:
    Gohan's inclusion legitimizes Trunks' arc. Nevermind the role, it's about the representation. It served as an important reminder that his actions weren't in vain - that he ensured the life that his fallen master pursued was achieved in some fashion, even if elsewhere.
    Trunks' arc didn't need to be legitimized. The fact that Goku and Vegeta are alive to help him yet again is proof enough he succeeded.
    BlueBasilisk wrote:I think Gohan needed to appear because his future counterpart had such a huge influence on Trunks and because they were friends. It lets Trunks see that good has come from his actions in the Androids Saga. He gets to see Gohan living the life he was denied in Trunks' own timeline
    How does that impact the Goku Black arc? Why does Trunks need to see this and what did he gain from it that made him succeed against Black? Don't get me wrong, I don't think the things Toei showed us were bad per se, I just don't think they belonged in this particular story.

Nejishiki
    I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 pm

There's neglect in how the scenario was portrayed. Trunks nearly broke down, believing himself to be a failure in his master's eyes, before the surviving Gohan arrived and reminded him why he started his first trip to begin with. A thematic, brief reminder is not harmful - completely understandable after the ordeal he recently experienced and finally had a moment to reflect upon. And judging by general reactions, the audience needed that message more than Trunks did as it's regularly misconstrued as "pointless" or "dreary" despite serving as a positive beat.

Dragonballgod19
    Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:14 pm

The gr wrote:
    omaro34 wrote:This could be out of topic but when will the Yamcha manga part 3 come out?
    Lmao screw the yamcha manga

Dragonballgod19
    Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 pm

the anime version had A LOT of stupidity in between (smoke grenades stopping a man who can fly, Black failing to kill the resistance, flash bangs, Bulma seducing Zamasu, Mai's super bullet, super great at everything prodigy Trunks), it also did very well showing how much Trunks has grown since the Androids.
    Manga Trunks feels like the same kid who left at the end of the Android arc. In fact, he feels regressed from the older, more confident Trunks that killed Cell. Anime Trunks is now a capable leader, a father figure to kids, and a role model to soldiers. Vegeta (and later Bulma) seeing this was a touching moment, and the somber ending really helped me accept the crappy Zeno button ending. It's way too nonchalant and cheerful in the manga. I still like both versions, both fill in what the other version lacks.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm

I like how the manga solved the issue of Goku going straight back to the future to bring Zeno, by having them wait for a night.
    I also like how Bulma changed her outfits though she changed one too many, and I preferred how Vegeta bid farewell to Trunks in the anime (and also the fact he was wearing his Saiyan suit and not casual clothes).
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

omaro34
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Dragonballgod19 wrote:
    The gr wrote:
    Lmao screw the yamcha manga
    Excellent contribution.
    "Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

LuckyCat
    Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Tao Bai Bai wrote:There's neglect in how the scenario was portrayed. Trunks nearly broke down, believing himself to be a failure in his master's eyes, before the surviving Gohan arrived and reminded him why he started his first trip to begin with. A thematic, brief reminder is not harmful - completely understandable after the ordeal he recently experienced and finally had a moment to reflect upon. And judging by general reactions, the audience needed that message more than Trunks did as it's regularly misconstrued as "pointless" or "dreary" despite serving as a positive beat.
    But the breaking down never happened in the manga. I keep seeing these comments about how the manga left out payoffs that were important in the anime. If the setup never existed in the manga, why would Toyotaro bring in the resolution? That's an apples and oranges comparison.