"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

"To tell you the truth, I am planning on retiring any day now."

Welp, Belmod is dead as fuck. RIP clown man.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Maybe Goku will wish for all the deceased fighters to be brought back into Universe 7 or something.

I can't see them permanently killing off the likes of Hit, Cabba and Caulifla. It'd actually be sort of interesting if they did because usually with this series everyone always comes back but I don't see it happening and I don't know if I'd particularly want it to or not.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 pm

-Chapter 28-

Awesome chapter!! Much better than the joke the last one was.

Toyotaro did a much better job on introducing the Gods than Toei. You can see a glimpse of the personalities of some of them right away, unlike the anime where Toei introduced them all serious on the sidelines watching the Exhibition Matches.

I like how Rumoosh talks about Zamasu's incident and he's afraid that Daishinkan's calling is because of that.

I'm disappointed the Gods aren't formally dressed like they were in Jump Festa trailer though. In the end we didn't get that in both versions and that sucks.
If anything I like how Toppo was covered in the anime, because It added mystery to his character.

The best thing about this chapter is by far Vermoud's characterization. Every scene with him is perfect!
- He's surrounded by girls (that he intends to kill) like a pimp and celebrating his anniversary as GoD.
- He didn't hesitate to Hakai one of them when she was becoming an annoyance. The fact that Marcarita says she was just an innocent girl makes it more brutal.
- He didn't hesitate to attack Sidra, even though Sidra was helping him during the fight.

I don't know what Toei is thinking, but our first clown character deserves a much better treatment. This is it!

The humour was also well played. Mosco's reaction to the Tournament of Power announcement was hilarious. :lol:
Universe 8 Kaioshin being in the bathroom during Daishinkan's calling and Beerus calling Goku out for being his fault were funny too.

I like what Toyotaro did with Beerus. This not being the first time all the GoDs are summoned because of him, and how he fell asleep for 50 years during a hide and seek Tournament to please Zeno putting him on a position where the other GoDs don't like him is a good approach.

As for the Exhibition Match, I need to see the rest before judging properly. I don't think it's better or worse than the anime here, just different.

I like how the anime made the two lowest ranking Universes perform a show for the other Gods. A lot of good things came from it - Majin Buu finally having a proper fight again, (something that not even in GT happened), more build-up for Gohan's return to the frontlines and Universe 9 team build-up.

Seeing all the GoDs fight each other is a dream, but now let's see the execution. I'm not interested in seeing Beerus owning everyone and I would also like to see some cool attacks, like Toei did when the 3 GoDs tested the ToP arena.

Goku vs Toppo (and the build-up for Jiren) will most likely happen in the manga too, since Toppo is there.

The anime approach to Toriyama's Son Goku character is totally destroying the manga version in that regard, but all in all this is a 11/10 chapter and I can say I'm hyped for the next one!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Another cool chapter. I feel like in this one chapter I know more about the GoDs characters more than I do in dozens of episodes of the anime.

And as usual, this thread overreacted because of spoilers. Will most of you ever become self-aware enough to realize you repeat this exact same trend every single month (not that I'm much better since I repeat these sentences every month, and have been doing so since March 2017)? I digress. Beerus wasn't stronger than the other gods. He just used Whis' "dodge without thinking" training, and he isn't even that good at it.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Pretty good chapter, while I am a little dissapointed that the exihibition match in the anime isn't in the manga because it was the last real showing of Buu and helped encourage Gohan to take training seriously again. However this is fun and get to show case the gods. Also it was nice they brought up both future Zeno and Zamas from U10. It looks like we will at least get conflict between Goku and Toppo next chapter, which was a nice little rivalry.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:04 pm

Fun chapter. I don't think Beerus is the strongest God of Destruction since I do think that they will Goku become Beerus soon and there would not be much room for the story if they did that if you ask me.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Wow. Just started reading the ToP arc, didn't know it even started before now. I can't believe how much better the beginning is already, the GoDs are already way more fleshed out than they are in the anime, Belmod in particular holy crap where was all of this in the anime? Oh and Goku isn't acting like a complete moron. I really like how the exhibition match is all of the GoDs instead of U9 vs U7, but I'm surprised Beerus can actually manage to hold his own right now and not get clobbered against 11 other Gods of Destruction. That's pretty damn impressive. All in all this is a really, really great start.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:44 am

JazzHands wrote:Already starting off better than the inconsistent bad writing crap that is the Anime. I cant wait for the recruitment arc so we can actually see what Toriyama helped Toyotaro create. The manga is closer to what Akira Toriyama wants as its been stated he works closer with Toyotaro. All these strength debates and whats what can be settled.
Not it hasn't. Toriyama looks at both:

Q: I've heard Toriyama has a direct role into your work, right?

T: Not only mine: he supervises every storyboard related to the Dragon Ball universe.

Also, the scaling of the anime isn't the scaling of the manga. So whatever the scaling is in the manga is only in the manga, not the anime.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:- He didn't hesitate to Hakai one of them when she was becoming an annoyance. The fact that Marcarita says she was just an innocent girl makes it more brutal.
I woudn't call her innocent, her first reaction to the God of Destruction's personal assistant saying 'Hello' is "I'LL CUT A BITCH!"
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:26 am

Kanassa wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:- He didn't hesitate to Hakai one of them when she was becoming an annoyance. The fact that Marcarita says she was just an innocent girl makes it more brutal.
I woudn't call her innocent, her first reaction to the God of Destruction's personal assistant saying 'Hello' is "I'LL CUT A BITCH!"
Clown chick needs to learn you don't mess with a man's Harley.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Tugvow

Post by Tugvow » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:22 am

Draconic wrote:There are also some "continuty errors" I noticed that took me out of the fight:

One is when Vermoud kicks Beerus into Mosco's hands. The scene plays out with Beerus dodging a bunch of guys, then dodging Vermoud's right kick, then next panel Beerus is just flying out of nowhere, Vermoud still in the same position. An easy change to fix that would be have Vermoud kicking with his left leg in the second panel and it would be fine.
I think you will find if you have a look again that Vermoud never actually connects, it is Beerus dodging all of the other blows, as is evidenced by the jump marks left at the feet of the other GoD's along the path.
How I wish I could block these distractions when I am supposed to be studying...

STH
Not-So-Newbie

Post by STH » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 am

Is this plot hole? :think:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by STH on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Melkaniator wrote: "DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant."

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 am

STH wrote:Is this plothole? :think:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
No. Whis gives no dates, more than 240.000 years perfectly fills the criteria of "long ago".

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 am

LightBing wrote:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
No. Whis gives no dates, more than 240.000 years perfectly fills the criteria of "long ago".
Or may be belmod does not use earth days?There are already different calendars like kings calendar.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:49 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
LightBing wrote:

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Or may be belmod does not use earth days?There are already different calendars like kings calendar.
Maybe, although I would assume the author would inform us if it was relevant.
Even if it was the case, how could it be a plot hole if we can't even interpret the calendar system?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 am

I think we can assume everyone uses different "days", with everyone always having to clarify "earth time" to Goku. I can't remember if this was in the manga, but didn't Zuno say that a Cockroaches lifetime was a year? Granted, I don't know much about roaches, but I never thought that they lived for a year.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:35 am

It's been a while since the last time I enjoyed reading a chapter of the manga, it was quite decent, but:
ekrolo2 wrote:The fight itself, however, wasn't that visually good. Toyotaro's fighting choreography is very limited in terms of variety and I swear he's reused several poses there a dozen or so times by now.
This and considering this arc will have plenty of fighting, I really hope he improves or else it will be another boring fest.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:13 am

Good chapter. Enjoyed it, a lot actually.

Vermoud seems to be totally different compared with his anime counterpart.

Toyo isn't overpowering Beerus too much ? Beerus' able to fight with nine gods at the same time?

Champa & Mosco seem fodder to Beerus, actually. Beerus toyed with his brother to fool the other Hakaishin and he easily escaped Mosco.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:00 pm

HeroR wrote:
JazzHands wrote:Already starting off better than the inconsistent bad writing crap that is the Anime. I cant wait for the recruitment arc so we can actually see what Toriyama helped Toyotaro create. The manga is closer to what Akira Toriyama wants as its been stated he works closer with Toyotaro. All these strength debates and whats what can be settled.
Not it hasn't. Toriyama looks at both:

Q: I've heard Toriyama has a direct role into your work, right?

T: Not only mine: he supervises every storyboard related to the Dragon Ball universe.

Also, the scaling of the anime isn't the scaling of the manga. So whatever the scaling is in the manga is only in the manga, not the anime.
To be fair, Toriyama has also stated that he doesn't get to see the final script for the anime, and the anime has a very rushed production. Toriyama can supervise the storyboards sure, but it's impossible, or at least very very unlikely for corrections or anything on the same level as his involvement in the manga, where we know he's redrawn/drawn entire pages or characters where he feels Toyotaro falls short or out of character. I would argue based on that that the manga is closer to accurately representing Toriyama's vision of Super, but it's not like we can really know for sure.

As for the chapter, I loved Belmond actually having characterization, Rumoosh bringing up Zamas, and the GoD's wondering why the heck there's two Zenos. Also Mosco saying unintelligible beeps towards Zeno. Crazy that the rat is likely the one with the strongest mortal.

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:27 am

With each chapter, I continue to have hope that Krillin, Tien, Roshi, Android Twins and Piccolo will have "respectable" performances in the tournament.