"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:37 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Thumbs down though for Vegeta hearing about the universe could end, and still saying no just because of his child. That's Chi Chi level bad :lol:.

Still gonna wait for viz to see there full take.
Yeah didn't like that one bit.
I think Toyotarõ wrote this part and didn't took into account Vegeta's line, which was certainly written by Mr.Toriyama. He probably couldn't think of how to insert it in another way and choose to keep it instead of re-writing the whole thing.

Hopefully Viz translation changes the context.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for official translations. I feel like there are thinks that are not well translated.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:14 pm

I'd like to know what Jiren wants to wish for. Sounds pretty serious.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:16 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:Thumbs down though for Vegeta hearing about the universe could end, and still saying no just because of his child. That's Chi Chi level bad :lol:.

That was bullshit. Vegeta wouldn't be as stupid as to not take part in a Tournament that important just because he's waiting for his baby to be born. The anime made more sense, as Vegeta didn't know about the stakes and Whis used his magic to convince Vegeta to join without having to tell him the truth.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:11 pm

I pray that the context of that line is changed when Viz translate the chapter because that's just fucking ridiculous. And a borderline out-of-character moment from Vegeta.

SirTorra
Beyond Newbie

Post by SirTorra » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote:I'd like to know what Jiren wants to wish for. Sounds pretty serious.
It'll probably be something predictable like world peace or bringing something or someone back from the dead. I hope Jiren turns out to be more than just a good guy.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:

I pray that the context of that line is changed when Viz translate the chapter because that's just fucking ridiculous. And a borderline out-of-character moment from Vegeta.
Wouldn't be much different than for this entire arc for Vegeta. It made more sense in the anime for sure, but honestly Vegeta's character has really sucked this arc except for like a few shining spots.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Since we can see jiren as the superman of u11, maybe his wish is to bring back his home planet

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:43 am

The last few pages were redundant. Toyo-tarou should've removed Vermouth talking about Jiren's personality and because all of that information was just repeated during Jiren's scenes. He should've caught that at the storyboarding stage. He could've saved those pages for the next chapter or replaced them with shots of what the other Seventh Universe fighters were up to.

I do like that Majin Buu's healing magic was brought up. That would've really helped out the Seventh Universe it he had been able to participate.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:57 am

JulieYBM wrote:The last few pages were redundant. Toyo-tarou should've removed Vermouth talking about Jiren's personality and because all of that information was just repeated during Jiren's scenes. He should've caught that at the storyboarding stage. He could've saved those pages for the next chapter or replaced them with shots of what the other Seventh Universe fighters were up to.

I do like that Majin Buu's healing magic was brought up. That would've really helped out the Seventh Universe it he had been able to participate.
Toyo has a bad habit of repeating himself. The most standout example is him explaining time travel twice in the same chapter, panel apart. He also tends to treat his character like explanation bubbles.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gig » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 am

emperior wrote:

That was bullshit. Vegeta wouldn't be as stupid as to not take part in a Tournament that important just because he's waiting for his baby to be born. The anime made more sense, as Vegeta didn't know about the stakes and Whis used his magic to convince Vegeta to join without having to tell him the truth.
However, in the anime IMHO it was a stupid idea to hide the stakes from their friends. I understand not telling to the world to avoid chaos, but there was no need to hide the stakes from their friends, which helped saving the world (or at least, faced doom) various times...
I don't know how the manga will deal with that with the other fighters...

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:34 am

Gig wrote:However, in the anime IMHO it was a stupid idea to hide the stakes from their friends. I understand not telling to the world to avoid chaos, but there was no need to hide the stakes from their friends, which helped saving the world (or at least, faced doom) various times...
To be fair Goku didn't want to but he was told to keep quiet about it and had to whip up that lie about the prize money. It was kind of a pointless little subplot since everyone found out anyway.

Will Viz's translation of the chapter be out today or later on?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 am

JulieYBM wrote:The last few pages were redundant. Toyo-tarou should've removed Vermouth talking about Jiren's personality and because all of that information was just repeated during Jiren's scenes. He should've caught that at the storyboarding stage. He could've saved those pages for the next chapter or replaced them with shots of what the other Seventh Universe fighters were up to.

Toyotarou likes repeating himself? I think you mistook Toyotarou for Toei

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 am

Meshack wrote:

Yes, Toyotaro repeats himself and yes, Toei does the same but no one mentioned them. I swear every few pages in this thread someone is randomly bashing Toei.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am

Helios518 wrote:
Meshack wrote:

Yes, Toyotaro repeats himself and yes, Toei does the same but no one mentioned them. I swear every few pages in this thread someone is randomly bashing Toei.
It’s not random. You’re acting like Toei doesn’t have problems more than Toyotarou does. I mean, Toyotarou does it once in a while but gets bashed for it?

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:31 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Will Viz's translation of the chapter be out today or later on?
It's usually the following friday of the time it gets released, so a couple more days.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 am

Gig wrote:
emperior wrote:

However, in the anime IMHO it was a stupid idea to hide the stakes from their friends. I understand not telling to the world to avoid chaos, but there was no need to hide the stakes from their friends, which helped saving the world (or at least, faced doom) various times...
The hiding about the truth part was equally stupid, although 17 was told about it when Goku wanted to convince him, and if I remember correctly Piccolo was also told about it. I can understand why Goku wouldn't tell it to Krillin, and to 18 as she would tell his husband, and he probably also didn't want Roshi and Tenshinan to drop the Tournament because of the high stakes, but not telling it immediately to Vegeta was stupid.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:43 am

Meshack wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
Meshack wrote: Toyotarou likes repeating himself? I think you mistook Toyotarou for Toei
It’s not random. You’re acting like Toei doesn’t have problems more than Toyotarou does. I mean, Toyotarou does it once in a while but gets bashed for it?
Yes, it is random. This is just the DBS Manga thread not the comparison thread and Jacob didn't even mention Toei or mention the DBS anime, he was just critiquing the manga. Sure, the anime possibly has more problems but we aren't in the correct thread to discuss them.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:12 pm

I hated the characterization of goku black and trunks in the manga but i'm liking jiren, toppo and even goku so much better in this arc than the anime.

Toyo had the sense to actually characterize the most important fighter outside of goku in this tournament.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:17 pm

SO........Jiren is much better in the manga so far.

Also YES, HE'S THE SUPERMAN OF DB
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote: