"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Grimlock » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:30 am

puar wrote:so i see they gone with the 28 planets with life remining in universe 7 in the manga as well. what a load of bullshit. this is a frikin universe. how this can be
With Buu and Dende knows when Freeza race started their "planet trade organization", both destroying countless planets.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:55 am

Grimlock wrote:
puar wrote:so i see they gone with the 28 planets with life remining in universe 7 in the manga as well. what a load of bullshit. this is a frikin universe. how this can be
With Buu and Dende knows when Freeza race started their "planet trade organization", both destroying countless planets.
this will still not even touch the surface of the universe. universe is huge. galaxy maybe. but universe? if heaving 12 universes means that each will be so small that beats the idea of heaving 12 universes. because those are not really universes if they are so small

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:19 pm

batistabus wrote:People think Toyotaro's not a good storyteller? Aside from the fact that his arcs have all been much tighter, funnier, and more coherent than the anime counterparts.
That's your opinion only as I think the anime explores more the plot than the manga that relies too much on exposition dump and homages to the original work.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:37 pm

Noah wrote:
batistabus wrote:People think Toyotaro's not a good storyteller? Aside from the fact that his arcs have all been much tighter, funnier, and more coherent than the anime counterparts.
That's your opinion only as I think the anime explores more the plot than the manga that relies too much on exposition dump and homages to the original work.
That is just an exageration in my opinion,while yes Toyotaro constantly falls in the exposition dumps and homages but every chapters is not like that,the manga is doing somewhat an effort in exploring the other universe as well motivation.The anime as well suffer from these issues not as much still it suffers from these.
Mostly active on discord.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Correctly structuring the battle royal would go along way. The anime failed in doing so, turning the arc into a series of rounds where opponents are just waiting for their turn to fight Universe 7. Which just feels awful.

Ideally this is how it should be done.
Pre-Fight:
  • Give a few panels to each star fighter before the tournament. Introduce them and give a little bit of insight, this has already been done with Jiren. And no baits! If a character is just going to be shoved aside by a dust of wind don't waste time on them!
  • Ramp up the hatred towards Universe 7 to justify their centrer role. We already know everyone hates Beerus and weren't that happy with Goku, push it to the limit.
Planning:
  • Pick 4 or 5 fighters to be easily defeated. For example: collateral from Goku vs Jinbe powering up or hit by a ki attack from another battle, etc...
  • Abuse group battles at the start. It's more palatable to have the one-on-one when there's less people and when those people are less gimmick aka the powerhouses.
  • If there's characters like Gamisaras and Damon, have the audience comment on weird events and give them a couple of eliminations to build them up.
  • Plan for some of the powerhouses of the other Universes to have some eliminations until their big fight, this also contributes to a better distribution of "kills".
  • Earn the tension, if you're having scrubs fighting the likes of Vegeta and Goku giving them abilities that provide some difficulties. Or personalities that might pull them into a lower level clash.
  • Make a good distribution. Unlike the anime, don't shove Goku into 90% of the fight's. Spread the wealth around and with same level opponents to make it believable.
During Fight:
  • Never devote 100% of chapter to a single fight, bar exceptions. That completely removes the battle royal chaos.
  • Don't spread too thin. I don't know the balance but showing ten fight's in the same chapter is a bit much.
  • Shove fights into fights. When Goku's fighting X, show Kuririn fighting Y and Z in the background. Sometimes have interruptions from those who are waiting for a chance(this gives the chance to temporary alliances).

Green
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Green » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:03 pm

LightBing wrote:no baits! If a character is just going to be shoved aside by a dust of wind don't waste time on them!

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:18 pm

Green wrote:
LightBing wrote:no baits! If a character is just going to be shoved aside by a dust of wind don't waste time on them!
Don't throw salt at my Image
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Holy Hell. How does a thread dedicated to the manga turn into a Manga vs Anime debate?

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:36 pm

I feel like there are some interesting opportunities for Hit in the ToP that the anime didn't capitalize on.

1. Have Hit train under Vados. While the rest of the Universe 6 fighters may not be worthy to train in Champa's realm, Hit surely has the ability and (according to the end of the Universe 6 tournament) motivation to grow stronger. He probably wouldn't acquire god ki though, as the only people we know to have it are Goku and Vegeta (via Super Saiyan God) and Toppo (a legitimate God of Destruction candidate). Although Freeza is god level, we don't have a reason to believe that he uses godly ki. Jiren's ki type is unknown, but I expect that he won't have the power of a god either (despite being stronger than Vermoud). If he did...cool!

2. Have Hit attempt to kill Jiren. While Hit was below the level of Super Saiyan God in the Universe 6 tournament, even Goku acknowledges that Hit would be much more formidable if he were to fight in his element as an assassin. Of course, killing Jiren would result in Hit's disqualification, but after seeing what Jiren is capable of over the course of the tournament, this could be an interesting part of Universe 6's strategy. He'd fail in the end, but it'd be cool to see Hit go all out like that in the manga.
Noah wrote:That's your opinion
Yes.

Even so, I don't really see how you could argue the other way. The manga is inherently tighter than the anime because it is shorter with much less padding. Characters aren't repeating the same lines over and over again in order to fill time. Maybe you like some of the padding, but it's still padding. The manga is more coherent in that it ties plot points together smoothly (Chapter 19) with fewer plot holes, especially in the Future Trunks arc (when it avoids the time paradox). Characters are written much more similar to their original manga counterpart, and thus fit better into that continuity. I suppose the comedic aspect is entirely subjective, but I think Toriyama's style of humor translates much better in print than in animation.
ToshioWrites wrote:Holy Hell. How does a thread dedicated to the manga turn into a Manga vs Anime debate?
Because it's interesting to compare how the anime and manga both handle Toriyama's outline in different ways.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:33 pm

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
prince212 wrote: The way manga is doing ....is already better ( for my taste ) , sadly is hard to keep the pace with the anime , and if anime is 10 months ahead or so ... it’s hard to tell that every manga charter is gonna have 6-7 eliminations per chapter , so Toyo better draw some crazy stuff , and I hope u11 to eliminate other universes in the manga , u7 responsible of all the eliminations having Jiren around doing joga exercises while being worry about his own universe waiting a phone call to return and forget about the tournament won’t have any sense
So did the black arc in beginning in the manga version yet went downhill
I'll wait and see how he handles the TOP and actually makes it interesting and entertaining in his own way
He needs to stop playing it safe and go hard in the paint
The problem with the Future Trunks Saga wasn’t Toyo playing it safe. The problem was Toyo not being a very good storyteller and his inability to write good villains.

I expect this arc to be better since a battle royal is easier to show in a manga form, less story for Toyo to muck, and more action which Toyo is okay at when he isn’t copying panels. I would be shock if Toyo underperforms here.
When I say play it safe I meant don't be afraid to make some characters be much more formidable or stronger In the manga then they were in the anime
Thorugh some Intresting twist in it even if the outline the same

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:37 pm

Hawk9211 wrote:Personally,I think the real problem with toyotaro is that he tries to copy toriyama too much.But,that's impossible toyotaro can not become toriyama,he can take inspirations and ideas but that's it.He should go down his own path like he is doing in top.The info dumps are less,he is doing his own thing with god battle,the villains are better.He is using new angles.I just hope he keeps it up.
Agreed with rest you just said

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 pm

pacz360 wrote: When I say play it safe I meant don't be afraid to make some characters be much more formidable or stronger In the manga then they were in the anime
Thorugh some Intresting twist in it even if the outline the same
He recently had Toppo one shot a SSB goku,that could be a good sign for a lot things of the future.We will wait and see how he would handle his take on the special,maybe Jiren will break streak of underwhelming villains.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:45 am

Because the creator wanted his universe to be small. Its not a bad thing. This is like getting mad at namek for just being blue grass and water that never changes day.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:00 pm

While I think the anime is much better than the manga overall, the manga has its pros. Things I would like Toyotaro to change:
- U7 team doesn't need to be the main responsible for all the other Universes' erasure.
- Hype the right characters. Using the anime example of Universe 3, they hyped Nigrisshi and Nariama, when they should have hyped Dr. Paparoni. I wouldn't think Nigrisshi had been wasted, if they hadn't hyped him in the first place.

As for wasted characters, I'm sure the manga will have its share too so it's just a matter of knowing which ones Toyotaro will waste.

About the Saiyan girls, I have to agree that them getting SSJ, SSJ2 and Fusion in the same arc is a little too much. I'm curious to see how Toyotaro will handle them, even though the biggest problem once again comes from Toriyama. If Cabba already knew SSJ back then when he was introduced, Caulifla could have been introduced with it already. During Caulifla/Kale recruitment, they would also talk about what happened the first time Kale transformed (foreshadow about her Berserk form and how Renso got his leg injured) but we would only see that form fully in ToP. At least, that's how i would do things.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:03 pm

They already said in the Jaco manga that there weren't many planets with life on them. That was why there weren't that many Galactic Patrol members.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm

The anime has awesome moments, but the manga makes more sense. So I enjoy the manga more.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:54 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:About the Saiyan girls, I have to agree that them getting SSJ, SSJ2 and Fusion in the same arc is a little too much. I'm curious to see how Toyotaro will handle them, even though the biggest problem once again comes from Toriyama.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that was mostly Toyotarou. Given his chapters of the Tournament of Power and the interviews in where he said he was going to give more to Toei and that Veget was his idea it's pretty fair to assume most of what we're seeing in the anime comes from his own plotlines.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:27 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:About the Saiyan girls, I have to agree that them getting SSJ, SSJ2 and Fusion in the same arc is a little too much. I'm curious to see how Toyotaro will handle them, even though the biggest problem once again comes from Toriyama.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that was mostly Toyotarou. Given his chapters of the Tournament of Power and the interviews in where he said he was going to give more to Toei and that Veget was his idea it's pretty fair to assume most of what we're seeing in the anime comes from his own plotlines.
I’m not sure that’s fair at all. The only think we know for certain that he suggested was Vegetto and we don’t even know if he was he one who brought back SSG or if Toriyama suggested it for the manga.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:32 pm

I wonder how Toyotaro will handle Hit vs Jiren. The manga version of Hit was far inferior to SSB Goku /Vegeta in power and his time skip not only didn’t improve to 0.5 seconds but it also can only be used a limited amount of times when he’s at full power + it doesn’t work at all on stronger foes. I’m very curious to see how Hit traps Jiren if he does at all

Zeru14
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeru14 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:05 am

I wonder what new techniques and/or forms, Toyotaro might introduce for Team 7. Future Trunks had the Taiyoken and Healing, Vegeta the SSG form and Gamma Burst Flash, Goku the Hakai move and Android 17 displayed an Supernova-like energy ball attack. He also introduced the Mastered SSB concept for Goku and Vegeta. Here's some of the things I would like to see for some characters.

Android 18, the Kamehameha, she's been married to Krillin for years, so her knowing it wouldn't be impossible. The Tri-Beam figured it out after watching Tien perform against Semi-Perfect Cell.
Piccolo, the Kaioken, if it was to be introduced into the manga, Piccolo is the likeliest candidate to have learned it off screen, maybe after his performance in the U6 tournament was a wake up call, also bring back the Light Grenade.
Tien, the Dodon Ray seriously when was the last time he used this, the Taiyoken lets have the inventor of the technique use it for crying out loud, the Four-Arms form another technique Toriyama didn't bother with after Dragonball, also have him use Ki attacks while in his Four-Arms form cause we've never seen him do that.
Android 17, the Hell Flash, after watching Android 16 perform it against Imperfect Cell, 17 figured out how to mimic it.
(Ultimate)Gohan, the Special Beam Cannon, he was trained by Piccolo so him knowing it isn't impossible.
Krillin, the Spirit Ball as a tribute to Yamcha.
Master Roshi(MAX), the Wolf Fang Fist as another tribute to Yamcha.